In a HUGE caloric deficient but still not loosing?

Options
22 year old female. Eating 900-1100 calories per day. Working out 4-6 times a week including cardio and heavy weights. I focus on hitting my protein, fats and carb goals. I have logged everything including dressings, spices and I have been weighing my food for proportions. I started at 293. Last Monday 8/17 I started with cleaning up my diet and working out. I went from 286.4 to 279 in a week, but since then I haven't lost a thing. I even gained a pound? I understand that its still very early...not even two weeks but what the *kitten*? With my deficient and the amount of calories i burn while working out...I should be loosing 0.5 pounds a day at least! I also wear a fit bit that counts calories burned so I am basing my calories out on that. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    First off, you won't lose every day/week. You're most likely retaining water from working out.

Second, you should be eating much more. 1200 net minimum, if not the goal MFP set for you. 3.5 pounds per week, while fine with so much to lose right now, won't be sustainable for very long.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Be patient. Probably eat more so you get enough nutrition.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging everything? Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you just started working out your muscles will retain water. Also, you have lost weight and it's only been just over a week, so be patient.

ETA: Like others mentioned (I forgot to include in my original response), you need to be eating more than 900-1100 calories. Just make sure you weigh everything because if you aren't then you are probably eating more than you think.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You certainly aren't eating enough - this isn't sustainable.
    1200 is the minimum amount of calories a person should eat to lose weight. You need to work out your TDEE and minus 500 calories to get your daily allowance. See how this goes for a while. You'll probably find yourself losing at a faster rate and having FAR more energy :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    My advice...learn what a healthy weight loss program is all about. It is not about starving yourself.

Just an estimate but...

You should at you weight and activity level be able to lose about 2lbs a week eating 2200 calories.

Lower that to maybe 1800 to cover any CICO errors and you should still be able to lose those 2lbs in a healthy manner.

I am 63 yo...lightly active at best...and I allow myself around 1500+/- calories and so far this month I have lost almost 7lbs.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You're expecting to lose 0.5lbs per day?? You need to reconsider your overall plan. You're eating too little and expecting far too much so quickly. You can eat more and still lose at a decent rate.

Weight loss isn't linear. Sustainability and consistency also matter. How sustainable is your current plan?
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You're consuming the amount of calories per day that would be eaten on a medically controlled low calorie diet.

Perspective - I've lost 120lbs to date. I've been gradually decreasing my calorie goal as I've lost. I'm still losing a good amount each week (1-3lbs). My current calorie goal is 2000 per day. There is absolutely no reason to be starving yourself.

(ETA: I have been losing steadily for 18 months. I have a sedentary life style - desk job 12hrs a day - and have only started exercising half heartedly over the last couple of months, so I've not even lost 120lbs because I've been busting a gut in the gym 7 days a week)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 to 2lbs per week is what you should be aiming for. Your deficit is too big! that is if you are accurately counting those calories and you really are eating that low. Your first whoosh of loss was water, totally natural for that to happen in the first week, after that it will slow down. Keep on going, but with at least a minimum of 1200 cals and the weight will keep coming off. Weight loss is not linear, ie some weeks you will lose more than others, some weeks you will appear to stall, its the overall trend that counts.
  • sabrina_stafford
    sabrina_stafford Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same type of thing here sometimes. Just give it time. You got this!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You absolutely did not lose 7 pounds in a week. You lost some fat but most of that was water. This week, as your body equalized, you likely did lose more fat, but you regained some of the water which masked the fat loss. You need to learn patience, because our bodies are not predictable! :) And as everyone said, you should certainly eat more.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    If you just started heavy lifting, I would be willing to bet it is water and you will experience a whoosh of weight loss in the near future. Make sure you are eating at least 1200 net calories. You want to make this sustainable for a year or more of deficit eating (unless you are unusually tall). I am glad you are watching your protein macro, it is vital to make or exceed that goal a little (ok to go in the red here). It will help you keep hunger at bay while retaining as much lean body mass as possible while losing mostly fat. It is normal to have a little larger losses in the beginning, but to ensure proper nutrition aim for a goal of no more than 1% of your body weight on average per week.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Same type of thing here sometimes. Just give it time. You got this!

No...she really doesn't have it...not eating any more than what she claims to eat and working out as much as she says.

How long do you think she will last until she just gets...HUNGRY? Becomes unhealthy dieting the way she is?

I know when you have that much weight to lose...or even any amount of weight actually...you just want it done and over with. I get that...I have days I feel the same way. In the end however of losing this weight...I want to be healthy...fit...and enjoying my life...not a skinny sickly unhealthy pile of bones...

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I started at 295 I am down to 242, I lose about 2 lbs a week. There is no way I could that little, my calorie goal is around 1700/1800 a day. I understand you want to lose weight fast, I was like that at first, you will burn out! please do this healthy, your body needs food. Weight loss will come but if you burn out or get sick than that will set you back. Don't stress so much. Stay healthy
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    you need to set your goal on MFP to a reasonable weight loss target and then eat that number of calories. What you are attempting is not healthy.
    You are eating to little, you are only 22, you are still growing, eat more. Please.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    hproctor02 wrote: »
    22 year old female. Eating 900-1100 calories per day. Working out 4-6 times a week including cardio and heavy weights. I focus on hitting my protein, fats and carb goals. I have logged everything including dressings, spices and I have been weighing my food for proportions. I started at 293. Last Monday 8/17 I started with cleaning up my diet and working out. I went from 286.4 to 279 in a week, but since then I haven't lost a thing. I even gained a pound? I understand that its still very early...not even two weeks but what the *kitten*? With my deficient and the amount of calories i burn while working out...I should be loosing 0.5 pounds a day at least! I also wear a fit bit that counts calories burned so I am basing my calories out on that. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Doesn't work that way, you can do the math down the road but you don't lose 0.5lbs per day. You'll sit at the same weight for like 2 weeks then BOOM 8lbs gone ... how do you explain that 8lbs? looks like it's .5lbs a day I guess... you just wont see it on a daily basis.

The trick to this whole thing... is not expecting it to fall off instantly ... the trick is staying the course and making adjustments when you hit a road block, a actual plateau is over 3 weeks of being the same weight. Not 2 days....

Also as a woman, when you get your period you can gain upwards of 10lbs ... it's not actual fat chill out you're body is just getting ready to flush it's self out.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Wait, OP. Am I reading this right? You weigh ~280lbs, lift weights or do cardio every day, and you're only eating 900-1100 calories a day? Is that total calories or net? If that's total, you're probably netting 500-600 calories some days, which is quite dangerous.

Please, eat more. Use MFP to set your calorie goal and eat to that goal every day. If you burn 300 calories exercising, eat some of those calories back.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hproctor02 wrote: »

First of all, two weeks is not long enough. Give it time. If you are truly eating so little, eat more.

Weight loss is not linear. Patience.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So you've averaged out at about 3.5lbs per week and the problem is what exactly?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you need to eat more and be patient.

You should not expect to lose the same amount of weight every week, even if you are perfect, your losses will be different every week and sometimes you will gain a little due to water weight and undigested food, etc.

You still have enough weight to lose that you can probably aim for 2 lbs per week. Eat the calories that MFP is giving you -all of them - that already includes the deficit you need. And then eat back at least some of your exercise calories.

Please take good care of yourself!