Ayurvedic nutrition and holistic health

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I have a strong distaste that people latch onto these traditional medicines and call them holistic, and consciously or unconsciously try to make the comparison that evidence based medicine isn't holistic nor preventative.
    The fact that anyone on this site losing weight or maintaining weight for general health is instant proof that modern medicine has holistic, preventative care. The simple truth is that so much of it is so obvious to be growing up in modern times as part of our culture that we act like it isn't. Then suddenly someone hears about ayurveda, or yoga and says "wow, exercise can relieve stress, and stress is harmful. How profound."
    No, it isn't profound. No, it isn't enlightening. You've heard that your whole life, it is just you've become so accustomed that you don't think of it because you have habituation. Suddenly someone presents something in a different way and it is profound.
    There is nothing profound about a medical practice that still assigns treatments based on how full of fire element your body is.

I will offer myself up as n=1. A case for combined modalities of therapy for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis.

When I was diagnosed, my rheumatologist put me on a biologic, and I gladly take it. Why? Biologics help prevent further damage from diseases like mine.

She also said that the best thing I could do to manage my current disease state was to lose weight and exercise.

We spoke about other possible medical interventions down the line, but I opted for dieting and exercise since they were her main recommendation.

In subsequent follow-ups, as my condition has progressed, my knee, feet, and SI joints in particular have worsened. We briefly discussed some medications, the possibility of injections and also the alternative I just continuing to lose additional weight and gradually upping my activity level. I went with the latter, with my doctor's support.

I may not be aligning my chakras when I lace up my sneakers for my next go at C25K or when I'm in the gym doing some Arnold presses, but it's still a holistic approach to wellness.

Besides, I'd rather listen to The Who when I work out then try to find some inner breath or something.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I can't understand why you would come to a calorie counting site then? To guide us to the truth? I doubt you are going to find any converts here and I am wondering if you are a troll.

You do your crazy thang, the rest of us will lose weight the regular way.

Nope, not a troll. Just a new mother who is looking into various health issues and exploring new things. No need to be mean.

I can totally appreciate that you are a new mother and as a new parent you want to do right by your children and give them best care. I am a relativity new father myself, my daughter will be 5 in November.

However, your confidence in Ayurveda "medicine" is misplaced and it quite reminds me of parents who put their confidence, their uncritical belief in "faith healing."
    "Between 1975 and 1995, approximately 172 children died in the US after their parents withheld medical care on religious grounds—140 of these fatalities were from conditions easily treated by medicine. Certain Christian denominations rely on Biblical scriptures like James 5:15 (“And the prayer of faith shall save the sick”), interpreting them to mean that believers should seek healing from their own prayers rather than from members of the medical community. Adults taking charge of their own health and choosing their own treatment (or lack thereof) is one thing, but when a parent opts to not get medical help for a child, resulting in that child’s death, then courts must determine where the line between the freedom to practice one’s religion and the duty to protect one’s child should be drawn."

Source

I never said I was confident in it. I'm exploring it. There is a difference.

Okay. Then what is that attracts you to Ayurveda "medicine?"

I never even mentioned the word "medicine". I meant eating / exercising for a body type.

You're being pedantic.. care to then answer the question as to why an Ayurveda approach appeals to you? I am interested in the meta here.
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hi, I see you have posted something that sets off a bunch of (the same) people who love to call everyone else trolls! just ignore it.

I've been consulting with an ayurvedic nutritionist for about three months now and it has had a radical impact on my digestion. Would love to have a real discussion but just try to be entertained by these people. If they met you in person they would have a hard time being this rude.

I'm a former competitive athlete (and I had psuedomembraneous intercolitis earlier in my life), so I've tried everything, this is the first thing that has really helped my digestion. Also Deepak Chopra kinda has nothing to do with it. He's one dude.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    hi, I see you have posted something that sets off a bunch of (the same) people who love to call everyone else trolls! just ignore it.

I've been consulting with an ayurvedic nutritionist for about three months now and it has had a radical impact on my digestion. Would love to have a real discussion but just try to be entertained by these people. If they met you in person they would have a hard time being this rude.

I'm a former competitive athlete (and I had psuedomembraneous intercolitis earlier in my life), so I've tried everything, this is the first thing that has really helped my digestion. Also Deepak Chopra kinda has nothing to do with it. He's one dude.

I have, and would, laugh at someone spouting this nonsense in real life. I don't find it rude, I find it a normal reaction to ridiculous nonsense.

Can you describe the radical impact your nutritionist has had on your wallet?
  • margaretlb4
    Options

Can you describe the radical impact your nutritionist has had on your wallet?[/quote]

Sure thing - so far $175. But I've saved some money by cooking more.

The deal I'm trying to get at though is that I've been cooking my food instead of eating alot of raw food and its had a crazy wonderful impact on my digestion, and ability to sleep.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options

Right, @WildePillar I noticed that a lot of people's only contribution to the discussion was to bash Deepak Chopra, hardly an indicator of a breadth of knowledge on the subject of Ayurveda.
  • tincanonastring
    edited August 2015
    Options

The deal I'm trying to get at though is that I've been cooking my food instead of eating alot of raw food and its had a crazy wonderful impact on my digestion, and ability to sleep.

So, you've paid $175 for cooking classes? Couldn't you have just, I don't know, bought a cookbook?
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Right, @WildePillar I noticed that a lot of people's only contribution to the discussion was to bash Deepak Chopra, hardly an indicator of a breadth of knowledge on the subject of Ayurveda.

Other than, you know, real life observations from the geographic location, studies indicating deep issues with the methods, and what appears to be rampant and horrifically negligent fraud in common ingredients. But the rest of it, yeah, no knowledge whatsoever...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    @WildePillar, as you can see, you are correct that you cannot have a civil conversation about Ayurveda here. Maybe check out this thread and reach out to the OP and other pro-Ayurvedic people there: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10167622/ayurvedic-nutrition-for-weight-loss-and-general-sanity/p1

Yes, it's great when people in comfortable, safe Western environments wax lyrical and romanticise about indigenous practices when those practices can actively harm people in developing countries.

Do elaborate about how Ayurveda hurts people in India. I look forward to running this by my Indian colleagues and getting their take on the matter.

I'm Sri Lankan as I said further up the thread.

I have had personal experience of very poor, very vulnerable, very hopeless people getting ripped off by Ayurvedic "medical" practitioners leading to worsening of conditions which modern medicine could have dealt with.

But please, do ask your Indian friends their opinion.

@WildePillar, as you can see, you are correct that you cannot have a civil conversation about Ayurveda here. Maybe check out this thread and reach out to the OP and other pro-Ayurvedic people there: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10167622/ayurvedic-nutrition-for-weight-loss-and-general-sanity/p1

Yes, it's great when people in comfortable, safe Western environments wax lyrical and romanticise about indigenous practices when those practices can actively harm people in developing countries.

Do elaborate about how Ayurveda hurts people in India. I look forward to running this by my Indian colleagues and getting their take on the matter.

Wait, you just pulled the "I have a (insert ethnic) friend, so therefore..." line.

Actually, I didn't. I have no idea what my Indian colleagues' opinion on Ayurveda is. When I said I was interested in getting their take on this matter, that's what I meant.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

So, you've paid $175 for cooking classes? Couldn't you have just, I don't know, bought a cookbook?

Really? Now cooking classes are being dissed. As if that's a bad thing?
  • margaretlb4
    edited August 2015
    Options

yeah i could have but sometimes I am able to admit that people know more than me, and need to know more about my body and patterns and how I eat. I wouldn't have gotten all that from a cookbook.

What is this negligent fraud in common ingredients? Are you talking about supplements? I eat mostly whole foods and take some ayurvedic supplements. I checked out your diary and see you eat splenda and mcdonalds so I think we might should just agree to disagree here about what is good to put into one's body. You should maybe check out the doc "Fed Up." Though I wish you luck with your rock hard abs, I'm going for that one too!

• tincanonastring
    edited August 2015
    Options

Really? Now cooking classes are being dissed. As if that's a bad thing?

Not at all. But I don't call my session at Kitchen Kapers a meeting with a nutritionist.

ETA: I'm also not paying that much money for them!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

What about those who posted...you know...real science showing dangerously high levels of toxic heavy metals in many of the treatments?

ETA: Not to mention the complete lack of ANY sort of scientific evidence showing positive effects (helpful hint - personal anecdotes =/= scientific evidence)
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I agree. My digestion has been much better. And seriously, what's up with the Chopra mentioning and subsequent bashing? I never brought him up in my original post.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Also Deepak Chopra kinda has nothing to do with it. He's one dude.

And Chopra happens to be the one dude who is the most prolific at disseminating this nonsense.
  • margaretlb4
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

What about those who posted...you know...real science showing dangerously high levels of toxic heavy metals in many of the treatments?

ETA: Not to mention the complete lack of ANY sort of scientific evidence showing positive effects (helpful hint - personal anecdotes =/= scientific evidence)

what are these treatments? ayurvedic eating in my experience doesn't involve treatments?

And yes, I'm talking from my experience. I'm definitely not a scientist, and obviously tests are important to pay attention to. I often feel on these forums that folks are really cherry-picking these tests as I see western doctors in LA where I live (and in Austin TX, and New York city where I used to live) that ascribed to acupuncture, ayurveda, yoga etc. It's not that far out folks!

In short, I feel better (personally, again not a doctor), and thought that experience could be helpful for this woman.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

what are these treatments? ayurvedic eating in my experience doesn't involve treatments?

Two different studies were posted earlier in the thread, and (not surprisingly) have been complete ignored by the supporters.
    And yes, I'm talking from my experience. I'm definitely not a scientist, and obviously tests are important to pay attention to. I often feel on these forums that folks are really cherry-picking these tests as I see western doctors in LA where I live (and in Austin TX, and New York city where I used to live) that ascribed to acupuncture, ayurveda, yoga etc. It's not that far out folks!

In short, I feel better (personally, again not a doctor), and thought that experience could be helpful for this woman.

The thing is, basing advice on "dem feelz" is simply not going to pass muster on this site.