Keto--what are your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• K_Anness17
    K_Anness17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When doing keto, you do not count calories. You obviously don't want to go crazy and eat thousands of calories, but by counting carbs, fat, and protein, it works itself out for the most part. I've been a yoyo dieter for most of my life, and this way of eating has been the easiest to stic k to by far, and works rather quickly. Losing weight fast keeps you from getting discouraged and giving up.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    When doing keto, you do not count calories. You obviously don't want to go crazy and eat thousands of calories, but by counting carbs, fat, and protein, it works itself out for the most part. I've been a yoyo dieter for most of my life, and this way of eating has been the easiest to stic k to by far, and works rather quickly. Losing weight fast keeps you from getting discouraged and giving up.

Keto does not invalidate CICO. You still need to stay in a calorie deficit to lose the weight and, if your deficit is small enough, you'd better be counting calories.
  • K_Anness17
    K_Anness17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not better off counting calories. I've done that for years and it has done nothing for me I have lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks doing only carb fat and protein counting. It is not about the calories even though that's what's burnt into your brain. What works for one person isn't going to work for the other and calorie counting does not work for me. thanks though
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

If you count carbs, fat, and protein, you ARE counting calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No, I'm not better off counting calories. I've done that for years and it has done nothing for me I have lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks doing only carb fat and protein counting. It is not about the calories even though that's what's burnt into your brain. What works for one person isn't going to work for the other and calorie counting does not work for me. thanks though

That is counting calories, dear.

As for Keto, I have never done it and would never want to. I don't have an issue with carbs though. I've only known one person personally who did it and he lost a lot of weight, but seemed miserable while doing it. Then he put on about half the weight he lost (He probably only lost 30lbs total) after he stopped doing it.

Some others have tons of success with it though so good on them. The main thing is that calories in/calories out still applies.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

It's all about the calories. Doing keto might make it easier for you to reach a calorie deficit without worrying about the counting, but you're still reaching that deficit. If you eat more calories than you burn, even if you stay in keto, you're going to gain weight.

I didn't say you would be better off counting calories. I said you (as in the general you, not you specifically) better count calories if your deficit is small. As you get closer to your goal, the margin of error gets much smaller when trying to reach the required deficit needed for weight loss..

I know you've been counting your macros instead of calories, but just out of curiousity, what's your calorie deficit been during these last 2 weeks?
  • dorje77
    dorje77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The point is that in ketosis, there is no such thing as hunger or cravings. That's why in ketosis you don't need to count calories - you are going to eat less.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    dorje77 wrote: »
    The point is that in ketosis, there is no such thing as hunger or cravings. That's why in ketosis you don't need to count calories - you are going to eat less.

As i said, some people love keto. Especially if they have had issues with hunger/fullness previously.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I've never even been tempted to try it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That's not necessarily true.
  • dorje77
    Options

That's not necessarily true.

Off course. :)

We can say that it is true for a good 90% of people.

The best approach is to do a lot of sport.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

This is not true for everyone, that they eat less on keto. Some people also manage to maintain or gain on keto -- it's supposed to be a lifestyle, not a diet, after all.

I think keto works great for some people. Not everyone struggles with hunger (at least not physical hunger) or cravings, though, or wants their appetite to go away. And in that I've seen people fail on keto, it doesn't work for everyone.

I love fat and protein (and veggies cooked in fat), so I am pretty sure that after an adjustment period I could overeat on keto as easily as with any other eating style. I also believe that I feel better eating a more balanced diet with a good mix of less processed carbs (and some carb and fat based treats, sure), so that works for me.

I think people who enjoy keto should do what works for them and those who want to try it should. I only ever comment when people insist it works for everyone or that it's a superior approach in general or that it means that calories don't matter.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I tried it and had some success with it. But it cut out too many things that I enjoy (I still eat foods I enjoy just track the calories and have in moderation), so I knew I wouldn't stick with it too long. If you really enjoy eating the foods that are suitable in that plan then you might do well on it. I did find it diminished my appetite quite a bit.
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to cut back on carbs because I do feel better when doing that, but not keto bc it's too extreme for me right now
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    i love pasta and crackers. I would be really sad if I had to stop eating those.

And chocolate, and bread, and cookies, and ice cream (I assume those are not keto, lol)...

Yeah I don't think Keto would be for me.

@Francl27 I found I could not do Keto without ditching most all carbs (<50 grams daily). It was not until I was facing a real risk of cancer from Enbrel if I did not find a way to manage my pain with my diet that I was able to stop living on carbs. It was hellish for the first two weeks but still being Keto 11 months later. I am glad I left carbs cold turkey knowing what I know now.

• tincanonastring
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    i love pasta and crackers. I would be really sad if I had to stop eating those.

And chocolate, and bread, and cookies, and ice cream (I assume those are not keto, lol)...

Yeah I don't think Keto would be for me.

@Francl27 I found I could not do Keto without ditching most all carbs (<50 grams daily). It was not until I was facing a real risk of cancer from Enbrel if I did not find a way to manage my pain with my diet that I was able to stop living on carbs. It was hellish for the first two weeks but still being Keto 11 months later. I am glad I left carbs cold turkey knowing what I know now.

Wait, are you sayng Enbrel was going to give you cancer and that's why you switched to dietary pain management?
  • dorje77
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is not true for everyone, that they eat less on keto. Some people also manage to maintain or gain on keto -- it's supposed to be a lifestyle, not a diet, after all.

I think keto works great for some people. Not everyone struggles with hunger (at least not physical hunger) or cravings, though, or wants their appetite to go away. And in that I've seen people fail on keto, it doesn't work for everyone.

I love fat and protein (and veggies cooked in fat), so I am pretty sure that after an adjustment period I could overeat on keto as easily as with any other eating style. I also believe that I feel better eating a more balanced diet with a good mix of less processed carbs (and some carb and fat based treats, sure), so that works for me.

I think people who enjoy keto should do what works for them and those who want to try it should. I only ever comment when people insist it works for everyone or that it's a superior approach in general or that it means that calories don't matter.

Off course you can gain on keto... Actually, I'm in bulk phase. :)

And I've lose the most part of my fat on a standard hypocaloric diet (14kg).

That's why I know how I felt during calories restriction during a high carb diet and during a high fat diet. It is quite simpler to limit food intake if you don't feel hungry.

Then there are other things to consider... But the point is simple: you cannot choose keto if you enjoy eating foods that are not compatible with it.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

That's why I know how I felt during calories restriction during a high carb diet and during a high fat diet. It is quite simpler to limit food intake if you don't feel hungry.

Then there are other things to consider... But the point is simple: you cannot choose keto if you enjoy eating foods that are not compatible with it.

Completely agree with the bolded. If it's unsustainable, it's a poor choice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    could never do it...I don't eat much in the way of "junky" carbs, but I eat a lot of carbs...legumes are a big time staple of my diet, as are lentils, brown rice, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, and the like. I'm also really big on veggies and fruit.

I really like a lot of nutritious things, many of which are carbs...
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Any food is compatible with keto in the right quantity.