Keto--what are your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I started out keto as a 3-week experiment that ended up lasting waaaay beyond that. I eat keto for all the benefits it gives me, not just for the weight loss. The additional benefits I've had are more energy (literally life changing), glossy hair, great skin, hair and nails that grow freakishly quickly, eczema has gone, and I never get hungry. I find the food really good. As an example, for dinner tonight was a lasagne: beef, homemade tomato sauce, the 'lasagne' was actually flax and almond flour wraps, and the white sauce was cheese and creme fraiche, and then half the plate was veggies. It was delicious! I'd recommend trying keto for a month and see how you go with it. You have to stick it out though; too many people do it for 7 days and don't break through the keto flu to get to the benefits on the other side. It's worth the early effort!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    catpea33 wrote: »
    I started out keto as a 3-week experiment that ended up lasting waaaay beyond that. I eat keto for all the benefits it gives me, not just for the weight loss. The additional benefits I've had are more energy (literally life changing), glossy hair, great skin, hair and nails that grow freakishly quickly, eczema has gone, and I never get hungry. I find the food really good. As an example, for dinner tonight was a lasagne: beef, homemade tomato sauce, the 'lasagne' was actually flax and almond flour wraps, and the white sauce was cheese and creme fraiche, and then half the plate was veggies. It was delicious! I'd recommend trying keto for a month and see how you go with it. You have to stick it out though; too many people do it for 7 days and don't break through the keto flu to get to the benefits on the other side. It's worth the early effort!

Totally agree!
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your response! I will def give it a try
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For some it works, for some it doesn't. For me, i struggle on anything below 150g of carbs and my workouts suffer greatly. Also, mentally, I don't do well on extremely restrictive diets.

It seems like you already want to try it, so why not try it for a month or two and see if your body responds to it.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Just so OP hears both sides, I've gained a lot of those benefits without doing a keto diet. I can't speak to the hair, skin and nails issues since I never had those, but the more energy thing was coupled directly with weight loss. And yes, it's a big life changer. I eventually figured out that the hunger issues I was having were not actually hunger. They were stress or boredom and I was using to food to alleviate them.

I did try Atkins for over a year, and yes it worked and I lost weight BUT I eventually grew bored with the many restrictions and long list of forbidden foods. I eventually gained everything back. Essentially 85% of the grocery store and about 95% of all restaurant meals were off limits. The rest of my family did not go on this diet with me and it quickly became tiresome to have to watch everyone else enjoy lasagna, fruit and pancakes while I was stuck making my own "special" food yet again. Similarly, family gatherings and going out to eat were always a problem. Life is short and I came to the conclusion that the diet was dictating too much of mine. Now I just stick to CICO and track my food on MFP. I don't have to worry about induction phases or ketosis anymore. I eat the same thing everyone else eats. I just eat less of it than I used to. And if I do go over my calorie limit one day, I just make up for it the next day with a deficit. I personally find this to be much more flexible and easier to stick to.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

Just so OP hears both sides, I've gained a lot of those benefits without doing a keto diet. I can't speak to the hair, skin and nails issues since I never had those, but the more energy thing was coupled directly with weight loss. And yes, it's a big life changer. I eventually figured out that the hunger issues I was having were not actually hunger. They were stress or boredom and I was using to food to alleviate them.

I did try Atkins for over a year, and yes it worked and I lost weight BUT I eventually grew bored with the many restrictions and long list of forbidden foods. I eventually gained everything back. Essentially 85% of the grocery store and about 95% of all restaurant meals were off limits. The rest of my family did not go on this diet with me and it quickly became tiresome to have to watch everyone else enjoy lasagna, fruit and pancakes while I was stuck making my own "special" food yet again. Similarly, family gatherings and going out to eat were always a problem. Life is short and I came to the conclusion that the diet was dictating too much of mine. Now I just stick to CICO and track my food on MFP. I don't have to worry about induction phases or ketosis anymore. I eat the same thing everyone else eats. I just eat less of it than I used to. And if I do go over my calorie limit one day, I just make up for it the next day with a deficit. I personally find this to be much more flexible and easier to stick to.

Yeah, I crave pasta way too much. I can easily see me derailing a few weeks in and eating a pound of spaghetti in one sitting. That's the potential danger with any elimination diet. It's hard enough to restrict calories let alone completely cut out what is often our favorite foods.

Ditto on the energy thing. I didn't even realize how unergized I was until I lost weight and couldn't sit still anymore. Looking back, I can't believe that I used to be content to sit in a recliner and watch TV for hours. It's just as unfathomable to me now as running 5 miles would have been for me back then.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i love pasta and crackers. I would be really sad if I had to stop eating those.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    who has done keto and what are your thoughts on it??

@mrsroddy1228 I have been in nutritional ketosis for 11 months now. I did it for pain manage and it worked because in 30 days my pain was down from an estimated 7-8 to 2-3. In 6 months my 40 years of IBS was cured. At 200 pounds I can lose about 3 pounds a month on 2600 calories and I do stop after each 10-15 pound loss and maintain on 3000 calories to let the body/mind adjust to my new lower weight.

Keto did not start out well for me because my cravings for carbs was stronger than my will to live but once I left carbs cold turkey in two weeks the hellish withdrawal issues started fading very fast.

Keto will not be adopted or even understood by the masses. I had to get my will to live greater than my will to die before I could even break my carb addiction of 40 years.

There is a lot of helpful info on MFP as how others successfully do Keto long term. With the help of Google I have read a lot of research on the pros and cons of Keto eating lifestyle. Best of success with what ever plan you go with.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about pasta! I love pasta too much to give it up so when I thought I was going to have to give up pasta I was really bummed out and then I found shirataki noodles. I find that shirataki noodles fit the bill and at least to me are much more palatable and satisfying than zucchini or squash noodles.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

And chocolate, and bread, and cookies, and ice cream (I assume those are not keto, lol)...

Yeah I don't think Keto would be for me.
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

This. Yes, I agree completely. All in moderation! I think you helped me make my decision
  • dorje77
    dorje77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    And chocolate, and bread, and cookies, and ice cream (I assume those are not keto, lol)...

There are keto-versions of all the foods you have mentioned. ;)

My favourite: http://www.yumdimsum.me/keto-bread/
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    dorje77 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

There are keto-versions of all the foods you have mentioned. ;)

My favourite: http://www.yumdimsum.me/keto-bread/

I mean, sure, but they are definitely not as good as the real thing. That's like saying cauliflower pizza crust is an acceptable substitute instead of a horrifying mockery.
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses-- I've decided not to do keto
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

sounds like a woman who lives in science and reason. Good for you!

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

Keto isn't for everyone. Find what works for you, then do it! You got this.
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    Thanks! Looking for something to help with energy but I don't think I can do keto right now
  • dorje77
    dorje77 Posts: 92 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I mean, sure, but they are definitely not as good as the real thing.

It depends. For me the keto-bread is miles away from normal bread... I prefer it, a keto-toast is something wonderful!
    That's like saying cauliflower pizza crust is an acceptable substitute instead of a horrifying mockery.

Cauliflower pizza is ... hmmmm... (looking for a gentle term) ... not for everyone! :D

But this version:

http://nobunplease.com/zesty-keto-pizza-dip-low-carb-gluten-free/

Is REALLY tasty! :)

As 2Poufs says, keto isn't for everyone.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    keto bread looks pretty yummy. Before I clicked the link I imagined it would be meatloaf.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I've done keto many times. Only I did it for contest preparation and despised it each time. Part of being healthy involves being content with how you eat for life too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png