Keto--what are your thoughts?

Options
who has done keto and what are your thoughts on it??

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I've heard it causes DUIs.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/05/21/low-carbers-beware-the-breathalyzer/

Seriously, though, this is probably not going to go well on the main forums. There's a group that can provide a lot of experiential advice here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's been effortless and a success *for me* over the past 6 years, but it's not for everyone.

the low carber link above and this below are both good groups for info here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There is also this group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Ketosis and low carb are two different diet protocols that involve the lowering of carbs (varied degrees) to create your caloric deficit (which is the reason for weight loss). You should be able to peruse through those groups to answer whatever questions you might have if you feel you need to choose this route of caloric deficit creation.
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

Ketosis and low carb are two different diet protocols that involve the lowering of carbs (varied degrees) to create your caloric deficit (which is the reason for weight loss). You should be able to peruse through those groups to answer whatever questions you might have if you feel you need to choose this route of caloric deficit creation.

Good call. I've seen a number of the members of the first group posting about keto. Yours is most likely the better resource.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

Good call. I've seen a number of the members of the first group posting about keto. Yours is most likely the better resource.

Yep, but evidently don't type as fast at @JodehFoster :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

When a troubled eater reverses modality eventually leaves out nutrients.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If keto works for you, then do it. It's not magic, but it can be a useful tool. I've been in keto since January and I'm happy. I belong to both of the groups mentioned and there is a lot of great info on both.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    some people love it. it isnt magic though, CICO still applies
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do keto as a way of life. Weight loss is a bonus
    In 5 weeks I lost 1 stone and 3 inches off all measurements.
    My skin and hair are glowing and I feel so energised and postive.
    Its not for everyone but its fabfor me. I had obe crave day for sugar om day 3 but the high fat keeps me satisfied, food no longer rules every waking thought and when I eat its real food ans tasty. Plus clotted cream a few time's a week I dont miss my fruit, veg and carbs x
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do keto as a way of life. Weight loss is a bonus
    In 5 weeks I lost 1 stone and 3 inches off all measurements.
    My skin and hair are glowing and I feel so energised and postive.
    Its not for everyone but its fabfor me. I had obe crave day for sugar om day 3 but the high fat keeps me satisfied, food no longer rules every waking thought and when I eat its real food ans tasty. Plus clotted cream a few time's a week I dont miss my fruit, veg and carbs x

I will msg you!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

nothing troubled about my eating.

the point is, there is a group of people for whom ketogenic diets work very well. if you're lucky enough to have your metabolism intact, more power to you. I'm not so lucky, for a simple reason (preemie, very low birth weight, weight gain protocols for preemies way back in the 1960s) So for me, ketogenic is the way to go if I want to avoid metabolic syndrome/t2 diabetes etc.

I'm not primarily in it for the weight loss, but I did reduce my body fat to a remarkable degree. I used to do calorie counting, CICO earlier, and I lost the weight, for a little while, but it wasn't sustainable for me and hard to do. With keto, I have no problems, and I can keep up eating like this. It did take a period of adaptation though, but now my numbers are good, and I'm happy.

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not as straightforwardly as you state here. Other factors are at play too, but those are very much tied to a metabolism that is insulin resistant to begin with.

• tincanonastring
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    Not as straightforwardly as you state here. Other factors are at play too, but those are very much tied to a metabolism that is insulin resistant to begin with.

Regardless of your way of eating, the CICO rule still applies. Your weight is a function of calories in verses calories out.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

nothing troubled about my eating.

the point is, there is a group of people for whom ketogenic diets work very well. if you're lucky enough to have your metabolism intact, more power to you. I'm not so lucky, for a simple reason (preemie, very low birth weight, weight gain protocols for preemies way back in the 1960s) So for me, ketogenic is the way to go if I want to avoid metabolic syndrome/t2 diabetes etc.

I'm not primarily in it for the weight loss, but I did reduce my body fat to a remarkable degree. I used to do calorie counting, CICO earlier, and I lost the weight, for a little while, but it wasn't sustainable for me and hard to do. With keto, I have no problems, and I can keep up eating like this. It did take a period of adaptation though, but now my numbers are good, and I'm happy.

I'm glad your not troubled by your eating though I have no idea what your saying. Good luck avoiding metabolic syndrome. Glad this diet works for you. Continued success
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    I did Keto for 4 months about a year ago and lost 30lbs. It definitely works, if you can keep up with it. Based on what I saw though, the reason it works doesn't have anything to do with "ketosis", and more has to do with the fact that you're eating very little junk food, since most of that stuff is high in carbs.

I stopped because it got pretty expensive and the prep time for the meals was getting to be cumbersome.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I've heard it causes DUIs.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/05/21/low-carbers-beware-the-breathalyzer/

Seriously, though, this is probably not going to go well on the main forums. There's a group that can provide a lot of experiential advice here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Random useless info, it wouldn't be enough to fail the actual "breathalzyer" (different from the ignition interlock system) and most of the newer instruments that I am aware of have specific things in place to distinguish ethyl alcohol from other compounds.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Prepare to buy lots of breath mints!
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It is the way I was meant to eat & makes me feel far better than higher carb diet.

Try it, you'll know in a month or two if it solves an issue or a bunch of issues!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I like and follow Keto because it works very well for me. It's become a lifestyle change for me and it will be a year on 09/01/2015. To date have eliminated 114 pounds but it's not for everyone. If you have allergies to nuts, dairy, or eggs, then it would likely be more challenging for you to try Keto. It is possible to "tweak" the diet to fit what works for you though. For example: if you can't eat dairy, cutting dairy from Keto is very simple. I supposed you could even follow Keto if you were vegetarian or Vegan, but that would probably take a little more work too.