Options
1789101113»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Bansh3e wrote: »
    I don`t actually have a particular opinion on keto.At the end of the week is all about calories, doesn`t matter if it is carbs,fats..etc

My opinion is that keto is fine.

The need of some people on keto to have it proclaimed the best of all possible diets is bizarre.

That keto controls hunger for some people with hunger issues is likely true, but doesn't seem all that relevant to people without hunger issues.

An overly aggressive deficit is a bad idea, whether one is doing keto or not. That's especially true if one is trying to improve athletic performance/is exercising intensely on a regular basis.

The bold is generally what starts most debates. Personally, I think any diet (low carb, keto, vegan/vegetarian, primal/paleo, flexible, etc.. ) can all have their own inherent benefits. But in the end, the only thing that matters is having a diet strategy that you can stick to and it addresses your fitness/health goals.

For me, flexible dieting addresses all of my needs and has improved all of my numbers across the board (within the limits of genetics) and has allowed me to hit the weight I was in high school. For @galehawkins keto has allowed him to address his medical needs. Both different styles.. both with great results.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don`t actually have a particular opinion on keto.At the end of the week is all about calories, doesn`t matter if it is carbs,fats..etc

The need of some people on keto to have it proclaimed the best of all possible diets is bizarre.

That keto controls hunger for some people with hunger issues is likely true, but doesn't seem all that relevant to people without hunger issues.

An overly aggressive deficit is a bad idea, whether one is doing keto or not. That's especially true if one is trying to improve athletic performance/is exercising intensely on a regular basis.

It`s controls their appetite because they eat high fat.Fat does make you satisfied.

It apparently does for some people. I don't find it especially filling, myself, and it doesn't test out as particularly satiating according to the studies, although I am sure differences between foods are related to more than simply macronutrients.

I actually do buy the argument that ketosis can dim hunger, just like fasting can.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Folks we have to live with the fact that today there are more unknowns about how the human body deals with food sources than that is "known". Even the 'known" is changing year by year.

I do Keto for pain management because it has worked well for the last year. It is known to be a safe long term eating lifestyle. I was going to die sooner than later if I did not break my carb addiction forever.

Weight is drifting down. Triglycerides level is drifting down. HDL cholesterol numbers are moving up. These are good side effects. The LDL cholesterol level jumping up has the doctor freaking out. The small size particles become the large 'fluffy' LDL on LCHF diets which is a good type like HDL numbers going up it good. This is a good side effect of Low Carb High Fat eating as well.

Keep in mind the difference between the 'Bad' LDL and 'Good' LDL are only about 2 micron in size.

LCHF may not be for others.

As long as my risks of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, Type 2 diabetes, etc are dropping like a rock in my mind this old man will be eating LCHF until new data requires a new eating lifestyle decision or I lose my mind and go back to living on carbs. :)

No, we don't. Because science.

What is working for you, great. As far as your risks of the diseases you mention - as you said yourself, it's your belief that your risk of several of them is dropping. Some, like heart disease, are provable by checking your cholesterol levels and other physical tests. Others, like Alzheimer's.... are anyone's best guess, although science is doing its best to figure out ways to detect early onset.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It`s controls their appetite because they eat high fat.Fat does make you satisfied.

Except it has been found not to be so satiating compared to carbs and protein, at least by Holt and isocalorically
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Folks we have to live with the fact that today there are more unknowns about how the human body deals with food sources than that is "known". Even the 'known" is changing year by year.

I do Keto for pain management because it has worked well for the last year. It is known to be a safe long term eating lifestyle. I was going to die sooner than later if I did not break my carb addiction forever.

Weight is drifting down. Triglycerides level is drifting down. HDL cholesterol numbers are moving up. These are good side effects. The LDL cholesterol level jumping up has the doctor freaking out. The small size particles become the large 'fluffy' LDL on LCHF diets which is a good type like HDL numbers going up it good. This is a good side effect of Low Carb High Fat eating as well.

Keep in mind the difference between the 'Bad' LDL and 'Good' LDL are only about 2 micron in size.

As long as my risks of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, Type 2 diabetes, etc are dropping like a rock in my mind this old man will be eating LCHF until new data requires a new eating lifestyle decision or I lose my mind and go back to living on carbs. :)

What is working for you, great. As far as your risks of the diseases you mention - as you said yourself, it's your belief that your risk of several of them is dropping. Some, like heart disease, are provable by checking your cholesterol levels and other physical tests. Others, like Alzheimer's.... are anyone's best guess, although science is doing its best to figure out ways to detect early onset.

Science is constantly evolving it's theories. What is a truth one year may be shown to be incorrect another year.
  • DebJ618
    DebJ618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    If you sit down and try to figure out getting 100% of RDI of nutrients it's far from easy on any diet. Best chance is eating different things every day. Or just take the easy way and use a supplement or supplemented protein shake.

Ye olde science says :-
    jvrm3mmzv0qm.png

Why I like the idea of changing the goals every so often....
    Keto is something I have thought about trying... but not yet
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Science is constantly evolving it's theories. What is a truth one year may be shown to be incorrect another year.

True, but you're speaking out of context. The entire sentence I was responding to said: today there are more unknowns about how the human body deals with food sources than that is known. That is not true. Science has made enormous leaps in the last 200 years, and we know more today than we ever have throughout all of human history.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think any diet (low carb, keto, vegan/vegetarian, primal/paleo, flexible, etc.. ) can all have their own inherent benefits. But in the end, the only thing that matters is having a diet strategy that you can stick to and it addresses your fitness/health goals.

SO AGREE WITH THIS!! I'm happy that I finally found a diet (Keto) which works exceptionally well for me and while I like it and have no problems sticking to it I also firmly believe that there is no such thing as a "One-Size-Fits-All" Diet. This is where I think the medical profession gets it wrong because generally speaking they very much want/try to prescribe a "One-Size-Fits-All" Diet. Even though theoretically the human body should work the same way, nutrition is highly individualized and people's bodies don't always respond the same way to the same diets. The trick here is to find something that works for YOU but this usually takes a lot of willingness (work?) trying out different diets. Some people never find something that "clicks" with their them for whatever reason.