Do men notice?

Options
12346»

Replies

• phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    I think they do not. I don't think it's that they don't notice, but I think some men struggle with details so while your DH probably notices you looking healthier and more radiant he may not be able to put his finger on why- and some other guys are afraid to comment because it could be taken as an insult to your former self (meaning you used to be heavy.)

Actually we do notice. BUT, there are two things that keep us from saying anything. First if you were raised like I was you were taught to never discuss a lady's weight or age unless she brings up the topic. Second we are afraid of being wrong. If we ask if you have lost weight and you have not you may misinterpret our comment and then we are in the doghouse. Better to stay quiet.

Sorry ladies. We do notice. We are proud of you. But unless a man is conscious of his own weight he certainly isn't thinking about yours on a regular basis so we won't be saying anything too frequently.

Hope this helps.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I once had a daycare DAD tell his wife to tell me I was looking great he could see the weight coming off! He didn't want to tell me himself for fear of it being insulting and also didn't want it to seem weird. While us ladies think it is a complement to tell someone they look good, men are afraid they are saying you needed to loose it!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes. In my experience anyway! :)
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    I feel they do if you hadn't seen you in a while. They avoid the topic because most guys stick their feet in their mouths. EX: "Wow, finally you did something about your weight" when really they mean "You look so good now, good for you!" It's weird. I also feel women don't notice that much either, they tell you that to encourage you. My opinion :)
  • ndriedger
    ndriedger Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My boss just did. Only lost about 12 pounds. I was surprised any guy would notice.
  • VirtuousJoy
    VirtuousJoy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Some men won't say anything, for the simple fact they are a little cautious about what they should say dealing with weight.
    My boyfriend however KNOWS I love it when he says something. He was just saying not too long ago that he can see my colar bone, and that I was becoming more and more sexy(and he assured me not that I wasn't before) He just loves buttering me up because I love it :D
    The fellas just don't want to say the wrong things to us, and get in trouble lol. But Im sure they are one of the first to notice!
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Mama didn't raise no fool... here's my response when I notice ----> " "
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't think they notice the "small" changes, as I honestly do not believe they are as critical as women are.

Recently I have had several men I've know for years not recognize me until I begin talking and they Dona double take.

Like many things, you almost have to hit them over the head to get a response.
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think they notice larger losses... so it takes a little more for them to realize the change than a woman... we can notice a 5lb loss! But I also think since weight is a touchy subject, they might not be as likely to say something. My hubby has noticed when I lost even 5lbs, he'll comment about my butt being smaller or whatnot... it makes me feel good. Course he can say stuff, because we've been together 20 years so there isn't that awkwardness that I may take what he says the wrong way :)
  • movert
    movert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We notice but like a lot of people have stated on here, it is a fear that the compliment will be taken the wrong way and come across more like criticism than praise. Keep up the great work of becoming and better you and believe me, we are noticing (silently)......
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    I notice when the women at work are losing weight, but I would never say anything for fear of them thinking I was "coming onto them!!!". Its safer to not say anything, rather than risk offending someone or getting yourself into trouble.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I believe men are too afraid to tell you they notice in fear of upsetting you or saying the wrong things. My BF also doesn't say anything, but is my # 1 encouragement and supporter. When I ask him if he notices, he will then respond to me. LOL.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I have a ton of guy friends (I do a lot of photography for local bands and most of them are guys) and almost every single one has said something about my weight loss...I actually appreciate hearing it although it makes me a little embarassed...I'm not used to being the center of attention lol.

My brother lives out of state and I only see him about once a year--he noticed right away when he was recently here for a visit. But I think he was more impressed with the fact that I wanted to go running with him than anything else lol.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    A man was the first person who noticed (apart from my family). But not sure if I should be happy or not. The first place I lost weight was my boobs and one of my exes hadn't seen me in a while said 'are your boobs smaller?' But after that we started dating again off and on and now it's 'you don't need to lose any more weight, you're hot' so I guess he didn't care that much that my boobs are smaller ;-) Apart from that guys probably notice, but just don't want to say anything.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    me too. I've lost close to 25 pounds. my boyfriend who i've been with for almost 2 years says NOTHING! He doesn't really know how seriously i'm trying to loose weight. He said I was good before. My exs who I'm good friends with also have not noticed. lol kinda sad
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Guys are no different then women in terms of noticing weight loss. Infact, more of my guy friends noticed I have lost weight then females.
  • Robyn405
    Robyn405 Posts: 48
    Options
    Women watch other women like crazy. At least, i do. Im constantly comparing my body to those of my female coworkers, so if one of them begins to thin down, i notice! lol. The same goes for them about my body. All the women at work say i look great, and not a peep from my close male friends. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!