Fat, morbidly obese woman in the weight room....

Options

Replies

• cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Fat girl in the frat house.
    What type of reactions would she get? What would you honestly think? Would anyone think anything at all.

At my gym, she gets respect!!

I am still obese by BMI standards, but I get much respect from the boys in the free weight area. Theyve seen me squat and deadlift over body weight. They've seen me leg press more than 2x bodyweight. They've seen me do all kinds of crazy stuff.
  • cndkendrick
    Options
    THIS IS BEAUTIFUL JESS
    Jessyd76 wrote: »
    I spend 80 % of my gym time in the free weight area. I'm 5'2, 216 lbs, size 16-18. I think that qualifies me as a big girl - definitely obese.

From the women - I get nods of encouragement, some will stop by to encourage me, or they are too busy doing their own thing to pay attention to others.

From the men - usually they are too focused on their workout to notice me. Lol! Except when I'm squatting or leg pressing. Then I get looks because I'm pressing/squatting more than some of them. ;)

I'm a dork and I walk around the gym with a mini clip board with my workout printed on it. Then I know what I'm doing, I'm not trying to make it up on the fly, and since I have a plan I'm much less self conscious. :)
  • cndkendrick
    Options
    threadmad wrote: »
    hmmm, sounds like someone saw me at the gym last night. Just joined & had my first session with personal trainer. At the end of the workout, I was standing in front of a mirror with trainer doing exercises with dumbbells when I noticed 2 young men (buffed out!) sitting on a bench almost directly in my line of sight. They were looking at me and whispering to each other, and then they both grinned and gave me two thumbs up. I'm 67 years old, 5'6' 188 lbs.

Absolutely not, just timely.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Fat girl in the frat house.
    What type of reactions would she get? What would you honestly think? Would anyone think anything at all.

From me, same as any other new fat/fit/guy/girl would get ... a polite welcome nod hello. After that, I'm back to my workout, in my own zone.

Better to be in the gym lifting weights, than on the couch doing "12 ounce curls".

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm always mentally rooting for the overweight people who come into the gym, because they've gathered the necessary strength to at least begin to effect positive change for themselves. It's not easy (I know from experience), and I totally admire them.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Honestly? I'd think "Good for her! I hope she continues to come here." and I'd secretly cheer her on.
    Why cheer her on secretly? Why not say, "Hello, are you new here? I'm not an expert but would be glad to help in any way I can."

As I've lost weight I've also lost membership in the big girl club. I see confusion in the faces of the big girls if I cheer them publicly. They are likely thinking I could not possibly understand.

OP you've been given several reasons why a big girl might skip the weight room.

- shyness. She might not be perved on but she may feel that people are judging.

- advice to do cardio to lose weight.

- fear of injury.

It is hard to rock a great outfit in 3x. Grey sweats cannot flatter.

Is there another reason you keep asking this question?

The point is, we need to be encouraging encouraging behavior!

If the question is, "Am I going to get encouragement in the gym" the answer is probably not. A gym is not a special place. Most people will not care. Some might notice you and want to say something, but will not want to get into your personal space. Some might want to encourage you. Some might give you advice. Some might want to make fun of you. Like in ever other place. You do not get special treatment for being overweight or female, if this is what you are asking. Neither positive nor negative. You might meet some friendly people, some idiots, and many who just will not even know you exist.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't give a fk what other people do at the gym. The only time I care is if I notice someone on a machine texting away and I'm waiting for that machine.. I'm not there to focus on a fat obese person or the biggest guy at the gym. I'm there for me and only me.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'd secretly wish we were good friends and could workout together. After all I am the fat lady in my gym room (well alot less than when I started) and I wish always someone would say hi or something.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting w/ stronglifts this week. SO my first day, I stayed in the 'ladies' section of the gym and kinda gimped my way through the workout with what we had over there. I stared longingly at the squat cage (It was 1AM, there were maybe 4 people there, but all of them were 'bros' and I was scurrd) Anywho! fast forward to day 4, after 3 days of mainly staying in the womens section, (one night, nobody else was there, so of course I ventured lol), I went over to the big boy toys and worked out with a TON of people around. I have horrrrrrrible social anxiety and I'm just a really awkward person in general, so it was a pretty big deal for me. Anyway, I don't look at people much, so I'm doing my thing, squatting and whatnot (with my itty bitty weights, comparably) and this female lifter came up to me and actually complimented me on my form and told me that she could tell I was nervous, but that everyone had to start somewhere and that I was doing well. It made things a lot better! I'm actually looking forward to going tomorrow morning instead of dreading it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'd think-smart. Smart woman.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't care what others do at the gym; just as long as you are not taking up a machine or weight I need for an unrealistic and horribly long time.

That and don't talk to me. I wear ear buds for a reason
  • cndkendrick
    Options
    Beautiful!
    I just started lifting w/ stronglifts this week. SO my first day, I stayed in the 'ladies' section of the gym and kinda gimped my way through the workout with what we had over there. I stared longingly at the squat cage (It was 1AM, there were maybe 4 people there, but all of them were 'bros' and I was scurrd) Anywho! fast forward to day 4, after 3 days of mainly staying in the womens section, (one night, nobody else was there, so of course I ventured lol), I went over to the big boy toys and worked out with a TON of people around. I have horrrrrrrible social anxiety and I'm just a really awkward person in general, so it was a pretty big deal for me. Anyway, I don't look at people much, so I'm doing my thing, squatting and whatnot (with my itty bitty weights, comparably) and this female lifter came up to me and actually complimented me on my form and told me that she could tell I was nervous, but that everyone had to start somewhere and that I was doing well. It made things a lot better! I'm actually looking forward to going tomorrow morning instead of dreading it.

• ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would be inspired! And more likely to go into the weight room than if it were filled with perfectly chiseled magazine-worthy body builders.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I'd far rather see an abose person in the weights section than a skinny person on a treadmil not even breaking a sweat.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I would be inspired. Takes a lot of courage to make a change and I would do everything in my power to make that person feel more comfortable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting w/ stronglifts this week.
    ... (snipping)....
    Anywho! fast forward to day 4, after 3 days of mainly staying in the womens section, (one night, nobody else was there, so of course I ventured lol), I went over to the big boy toys and worked out with a TON of people around. I have horrrrrrrible social anxiety and I'm just a really awkward person in general, so it was a pretty big deal for me.
    ....(more snipping)....
    this female lifter came up to me and actually complimented me on my form and told me that she could tell I was nervous, but that everyone had to start somewhere and that I was doing well. It made things a lot better! I'm actually looking forward to going tomorrow morning instead of dreading it.

Whoohoo! You are excellently bold, this is how to win at life (and I wish there were more friendly folks like that female lifter). Yay, you!
  • christophertoddchandler
    Options
    I have been a weight lifter for over thirty five years, I have been thin and morbidly obese over that time. Nobody cares what you look like. What you need to know that even those in the best of shape are insecure too on a continuum. Nobody cares, do it for you, go for it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most of the heavier women in the gyms I work out in are also badasses and generally much stronger than the thinner women. But no matter what I'd likely be excited and happy she was there -- I love seeing people get started on a workout program and I love women heavy lifting.

Most (not all) gyms I've been a member of are quite welcoming to women who express an interest in heavy lifting or learning form, too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WHY don't more obese people lift weights?

Wish more did. Wish I had more seriously when I was obese.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I'd think "Good for her! I hope she continues to come here." and I'd secretly cheer her on.

This.