sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

If a low carb diet helps you implement a low calorie diet, good for you. If you expect to eat the same calories that you do today, but only change the macros, nothing will happen.

Not true. You CAN eat more calories and lose weight if you're limiting carbs.
    To the op, I on Atkins now and you need to make sure you are eating enough fat to feel full. I eat 3-4 meals a day and I am satisfied and I used to eat junk food all day long.
    Edit to add, Atkins can be low calorie depending on what you eat but you're not supposed to count calories. I know that I'm eating about 1800-1900 calories though and I've lost 4 pounds in the last 4 days with no exercise so...obv something is working

Sorry, to clarify, are you saying that if you eat a low carb diet, you can eat in a calorie surplus above your maintenance level and still lose weight?

No. I'm saying that when counting calories I find that I have to eat 1200-1500 cals to lose. But counting carbs I can eat 1800-2000 and still lose

1) You are an alien and cannot metabolise effectively fat and protein
    2) Your calorie counting is off, something is wrong with your logging

Nothing is wrong with my logging. Just because you don't believe it's possible, doesn't mean it's not true

You don't get it. You would be defying the laws of nature if that were true.

So the issue is with your logging.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Lol how is that defying the laws of nature. Explain. Nobody could possibly eat 1800-2000 cals and only 20 carbs and lose weight? You're misinformed.
    I think I'll trust my results over your opinion.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Lol how is that defying the laws of nature. Explain. Nobody could possibly eat 1800-2000 cals and only 20 carbs and lose weight? You're misinformed.

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

You can't argue with results.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

If a low carb diet helps you implement a low calorie diet, good for you. If you expect to eat the same calories that you do today, but only change the macros, nothing will happen.

To the op, I on Atkins now and you need to make sure you are eating enough fat to feel full. I eat 3-4 meals a day and I am satisfied and I used to eat junk food all day long.
    Edit to add, Atkins can be low calorie depending on what you eat but you're not supposed to count calories. I know that I'm eating about 1800-1900 calories though and I've lost 4 pounds in the last 4 days with no exercise so...obv something is working

Sorry, to clarify, are you saying that if you eat a low carb diet, you can eat in a calorie surplus above your maintenance level and still lose weight?

No. I'm saying that when counting calories I find that I have to eat 1200-1500 cals to lose. But counting carbs I can eat 1800-2000 and still lose

Lose what? Water?
    Do you actually measure the fat loss, or just the temporary water loss?
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I will have to wait and see how much more weight I lose but many people have lost 50-100+ lbs on it and kept it off. I'm enjoying the food, staying full and not hungry and have lost my cravings for sugar so I'm satisfied with it. Not every eating plan works for very person and a lot of you don't seem to realize that.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just be carefull when going very low carb. I ended up in hospital 6 weeks into a very high protein, very low carb diet I bought off the internet. They thought I had a stroke! (I didn't, just made a fool of myself from being low on sodium and potassium). Perhaps consult a doctor about this radical change in diet. I am for sure never going back there.
    I did lose the weight very quickly though, but had I entered the foods into a MFP diary at the time, it would probably only have shown a very large calorie deficit.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I will have to wait and see how much more weight I lose but many people have lost 50-100+ lbs on it and kept it off. I'm enjoying the food, staying full and not hungry and have lost my cravings for sugar so I'm satisfied with it. Not every eating plan works for very person and a lot of you don't seem to realize that.

People lose weight on low-carb diets only if they have also reduced their calories to a deficit. If your TDEE is above 1800-2000 calories, then yes, you will lose weight eating 1800-2000 calories (hint: most people on these forums eat around that level without eating low-carb). You would lose the exact same amount of weight* if you ate 1800-2000 calories of a high carb diet. You lose weight when you burn more calories than you consume. That is fact. That is science. It is proven science. If you truly believe that you did not lose weight on a lower calorie diet while eating carbs, then you did not log correctly or you are not logging correctly now. That is also a fact.

*You may lose more weight initially on a low carb diet due to water weight loss. That is not fat loss.
  • andrikosDE
    Options

You just said that you consume 600 calories MORE than before counting carbs and still lose the same.

"No. I'm saying that when counting calories I find that I have to eat 1200-1500 cals to lose. But counting carbs I can eat 1800-2000 and still lose"

This flies against everything that is presently known by science. And if you don't see that, I guess there's no reason to argue.
    Best of luck.
  • Melmo1988
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Actually I'm losing a bit faster. But anyway. Nope, no reason to argue. I won't hold it against you if you don't believe it's possible. The numbers on my scale are good enough for me
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

1) You are an alien and cannot metabolise effectively fat and protein
    2) Your calorie counting is off, something is wrong with your logging

Nothing is wrong with my logging. Just because you don't believe it's possible, doesn't mean it's not true

The funny thing about this is that even the most devout, successful low carbers on this site, some of whom have posted in this thread, understand that reducing carbs is simply a way to create a calorie deficit, it doesn't invalidate the principles of CICO.

You are posting anecdotal experience as if it were fact. As others have pointed out, you may BELIEVE you are eating more calories but less carbs and losing more weight - but it is either temporary water weight or you are logging inaccurately (now or before when you were just counting calories).

People are not saying that you can't lose weight doing low carb. They are saying that the reason you lose weight doing low carb is because you have used those food choices to create a calorie deficit, in a way that you feel is preferable and sustainable for you. But you would also lose the same weight achieving the same calorie deficit if you tried a different approach, it just may not be as sustainable for your lifestyle.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ElkeKNJ wrote: »
    Just be carefull when going very low carb. I ended up in hospital 6 weeks into a very high protein, very low carb diet I bought off the internet. They thought I had a stroke! (I didn't, just made a fool of myself from being low on sodium and potassium). Perhaps consult a doctor about this radical change in diet. I am for sure never going back there.
    I did lose the weight very quickly though, but had I entered the foods into a MFP diary at the time, it would probably only have shown a very large calorie deficit.

Yikes. :(

Most people who eat low carb do not eat high protein; moderate protein is the norm. Usually it is a high fat diet combined with low carbs. That's generally safer, but gall bladder issues would require one to be careful.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

Until it's proven incorrect!!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

Oh good lord dude, you were one of the ones I was thinking of. You normally qualify all your recommendations about LC with the caveat that it works because of the calorie deficit. Can you not just set that poor person straight that she's not losing more weight eating more calories than before, just because of lower carbs?

• andrikosDE
    Options
    Actually I'm losing a bit faster. But anyway. Nope, no reason to argue. I won't hold it against you if you don't believe it's possible. The numbers on my scale are good enough for me

Thank you, that's very nice of you. Glad I don't have to turn in my skeptic card.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

You're so wrong it's not even funny. You'll notice how even the most hard care LC people won't back up your claims. You stand alone with no logic.

Well, I lose very well eating LCHF, but there needs to be a caloric deficit to lose weight. I personally find it much easier to eat at a deficit when I eat LCHF, but I also appear to lose weight faster and with less of a deficit being needed.

MFP says I should eat 1420 kcal s per day to lose about 1.5 lbs per weeks, when I was 25 lbs heavier. I usually eat 1500 to 1700 kcal and lose 2 lbs per week (usually). I am sedentary and am not exercising.

My n=1 seems to show that not as great of a caloric deficit is needed for me to lose weight, but I can't prove any of that to people on the forums. Who knows, maybe it is just a fluke.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

Oh good lord dude, you were one of the ones I was thinking of. You normally qualify all your recommendations about LC with the caveat that it works because of the calorie deficit. Can you not just set that poor person straight that she's not losing more weight eating more calories than before, just because of lower carbs?

My response was purely aimed at the picture. A great way of poking fun at someone because they disagree with you.

My view point on LCHF still stands that it's an excellent tool and 'as healthy a diet' as someone can have and weight loss only happens with a calorie deficit.

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I just restarted paleo this week. The last couple weeks have been semi-paleo. For me, what has been the most successful is counting calories (which is generally frowned upon in the paleo and LCHF world). My best piece of advice is try to get over the anti-fat bias we all have. I'd also recommend watching the film Fat Head (available on YouTube)--it explains low carb eating and the science/history of modern diets.

Also, I highly recommend cooking with coconut oil. It's delicious and makes me feel full longer!

speaking of paleo did anyone here about the dinner of 32,000 year old oatmeal that was recently discovered in I think Spain?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My view point on LCHF still stands that it's an excellent tool and 'as healthy a diet' as someone can have and weight loss only happens with a calorie deficit.

One doesn't need to follow fad diets sensationalized by the media and TV doctors to be healthy and lose weight. They just need common sense.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

One doesn't need to follow fad diets sensationalized by the media and TV doctors to be healthy and lose weight. They just need common sense.

Just because the media has recognized the LCHF diet as a healthy tool that can be used towards weight loss, doesn't mean it is a fad