Is chlorine in our water negative for better health?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10590500500234988
    3-Chloro-4-(dichloromethyl)-5-hydroxy-2(5H)-furanone, better known by its historical name ‘mutagen X’ or MX, is a chlorination disinfection byproduct that forms from the reaction of chlorine and humic acids in raw water. MX has been measured in drinking water samples in several countries at levels that ranged from non-detectable to 310 ng/L. Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower than other common chlorinated by-products of concern (e.g., trihalomethanes), some have hypothesized that MX might play a role in the increased cancer risks that have been associated with the consumption of chlorinated water. This hypothesis is based on observations that MX, in some test systems, is extremely potent relative to trihalomethanes in inducing DNA damage and altering pathways involved in cell growth, and that in some epidemiological studies increased cancer rates are associated with the bacterial mutagenicity of disinfected water of which MX contributes a significant portion. MX also appears to be more potent than other chlorination by-products in causing cancer in animals. This article reviews the available evidence on the carcinogenicity of MX. MX induced cancer at multiple sites in male and female rats, acted as a tumor initiator and promoter, enhanced tumor yields in genetically modified rodents, induced a myriad of genotoxic effects in numerous in vitro and in vivo test systems, and was a potent inhibitor of gap junction intercellular communication. Although the precise mechanism of MX-induced DNA damage is not known, MX is able to cause DNA damage through an unusual mechanism of ionizing DNA bases due to its extremely high reductive potential. MX may also cause mutations through DNA adduction. This article develops a mean cancer potency estimate for MX of 2.3 (mg/kg-d)−1 and an upper 95% percentile estimate of 4.5 (mg/kg-d)−1, and examines the potential health risks posed by this chlorination contaminant in drinking water. A discussion of additional data that would be desirable to better characterize the risks posed by MX and other halogenated hydroxyfuranones follows.

Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower than other common chlorinated by-products of concern (e.g., trihalomethanes),
    Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower (e.g., trihalomethanes),
    100- to 1000-fold lower

Thanks @senecarr that explains the statement,

"Shilajit should not be mixed with chlorinated water. Fulvic and humic acids in Shilajit, when combined with chlorine, create dangerous chemical byproducts. "

Source:
    fluorideprotection.org/shilajit.html
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10590500500234988
    3-Chloro-4-(dichloromethyl)-5-hydroxy-2(5H)-furanone, better known by its historical name ‘mutagen X’ or MX, is a chlorination disinfection byproduct that forms from the reaction of chlorine and humic acids in raw water. MX has been measured in drinking water samples in several countries at levels that ranged from non-detectable to 310 ng/L. Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower than other common chlorinated by-products of concern (e.g., trihalomethanes), some have hypothesized that MX might play a role in the increased cancer risks that have been associated with the consumption of chlorinated water. This hypothesis is based on observations that MX, in some test systems, is extremely potent relative to trihalomethanes in inducing DNA damage and altering pathways involved in cell growth, and that in some epidemiological studies increased cancer rates are associated with the bacterial mutagenicity of disinfected water of which MX contributes a significant portion. MX also appears to be more potent than other chlorination by-products in causing cancer in animals. This article reviews the available evidence on the carcinogenicity of MX. MX induced cancer at multiple sites in male and female rats, acted as a tumor initiator and promoter, enhanced tumor yields in genetically modified rodents, induced a myriad of genotoxic effects in numerous in vitro and in vivo test systems, and was a potent inhibitor of gap junction intercellular communication. Although the precise mechanism of MX-induced DNA damage is not known, MX is able to cause DNA damage through an unusual mechanism of ionizing DNA bases due to its extremely high reductive potential. MX may also cause mutations through DNA adduction. This article develops a mean cancer potency estimate for MX of 2.3 (mg/kg-d)−1 and an upper 95% percentile estimate of 4.5 (mg/kg-d)−1, and examines the potential health risks posed by this chlorination contaminant in drinking water. A discussion of additional data that would be desirable to better characterize the risks posed by MX and other halogenated hydroxyfuranones follows.

Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower than other common chlorinated by-products of concern (e.g., trihalomethanes),
    Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower (e.g., trihalomethanes),
    100- to 1000-fold lower

Thanks @senecarr that explains the statement,

"Shilajit should not be mixed with chlorinated water. Fulvic and humic acids in Shilajit, when combined with chlorine, create dangerous chemical byproducts. "

Source:
    fluorideprotection.org/shilajit.html

I'm not sure anything in the quote actually explains that sentence...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I wonder how much faster all the pathogens would kill you if the tap water was not chlorinated. Pretty dang quick, I would think.
    +1
  • jgnatca
    Options
    First world problem. There are still two billion people needing secure water supply, and would happily accept chlorination to get there.

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/natural-sciences/environment/water/wwap/facts-and-figures/water-supply-sanitation-and-health/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    First world problem. There are still two billion people needing secure water supply, and would happily accept chlorination to get there.

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/natural-sciences/environment/water/wwap/facts-and-figures/water-supply-sanitation-and-health/

Absolutely:)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Did you know that 100% of people that consume water will die?

I'm sorry OP, but I really feel like you're spreading fear-mongering woo. Your reference link is to a website that sells products. Of course they're going to write articles that are going to try to convince you to buy their products. And even their reference link was to yet ANOTHER website that sells something. You should really pick better sources for information.

And, if you're really worried about chlorine in your water, set it out. The chlorine will evaporate. Any reputable fish store will tell you the same thing, before introducing your new fish to it's tank. Let the water sit and the chlorine will evaporate out. Problem solved. No woo products needed either.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Chlorine is great in the pipes and municipal water system because it protects the water. Chlorine is not beneficial to the body although small amounts seem relatively safe.

I hate the taste of chlorinated water and installed a reverse osmosis system to further filter our municipal water before consumption.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    For all of you who have bought in to personal filtration systems make sure to replace your filters according to manufacturers instructions. Filters neglected can become breeding grounds for all kinds of nasty things. That really can hurt you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    As the SciBababe is fond of saying........Citation or GTFO

I'll take my chances....if you're worried about it a reverse osmosis filter will solve the problem.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Does that really seem like a legit source to you?

Eggzactly.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Depending on the US municipality, water can go from chlorinated to "H0lee $heeet it smells like a public swimming pool" bad.

This is very true. The city I just moved out of had the public swimming pool water. Seriously...it was terrible.
    auddii wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    At least chlorine has a purpose--to kill microorganisms. I'm more frustrated with the fluoride addition to water, which is nearly inescapable and really doesn't do anything at all. But I don't lose sleep over it.

Don't tell that to your dentist. My friend complains that there is a huge upsurge in cavities, and although they are correlation studies, many dentists believe this is due to people using bottled water which is not fluorinated.

That's kind of odd....my dentist flat out told me that he believes fluoride only matters in children....at least regularly.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Depending on the US municipality, water can go from chlorinated to "H0lee $heeet it smells like a public swimming pool" bad.

This is very true. The city I just moved out of had the public swimming pool water. Seriously...it was terrible.
    At least chlorine has a purpose--to kill microorganisms. I'm more frustrated with the fluoride addition to water, which is nearly inescapable and really doesn't do anything at all. But I don't lose sleep over it.

Don't tell that to your dentist. My friend complains that there is a huge upsurge in cavities, and although they are correlation studies, many dentists believe this is due to people using bottled water which is not fluorinated.

That's kind of odd....my dentist flat out told me that he believes fluoride only matters in children....at least regularly.

That's really, really odd since every time I go into the dentist's office for a cleaning, I'm given a fluoride treatment. And MANY dentists recommend higher fluoride treatments (mount rinses or toothpastes) in response to cavities including in adults.

Is your dentist board certified?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I wonder how much faster all the pathogens would kill you if the tap water was not chlorinated. Pretty dang quick, I would think.

Having lived through the cryptosporidium outbreak in Milwaukee, I'll take the chlorinated water. I just keep my bag of sodium thiosulfate on hand.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    We had unhealthy drinking water here a couple years ago. I switched to bottled or at least running it through a PUR filter. All my neighbors did, too. Some have water delivered in tanks.

As long as I live here, I will be drinking bottled water. Once bitten!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Protip: Stop getting your source from the other side of the Woobecon

• abetterluke
    Options

That's really, really odd since every time I go into the dentist's office for a cleaning, I'm given a fluoride treatment. And MANY dentists recommend higher fluoride treatments (mount rinses or toothpastes) in response to cavities including in adults.

Yes. He has no problem advising about what is necessary and what isn't. It would make sense that most dentists would recommend fluoride every time. Do you know how much they charge you and/or your insurance company for fluoride treatment? Do that twice a year for every patient and that treatment alone makes a lot of money.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Yes. He has no problem advising about what is necessary and what isn't. It would make sense that most dentists would recommend fluoride every time. Do you know how much they charge you and/or your insurance company for fluoride treatment? Do that twice a year for every patient and that treatment alone makes a lot of money.

What is your friend's stance on tinfoil?
  • abetterluke
    Options

What is your friend's stance on tinfoil?

You can laugh all you want but i've been going to him for 3 years after switching from a few other dentists I wasn't pleased with and my teeth have never been healthier.

As for his reasoning behind the no fluoride treatments...i don't know or can't remember if he said why. It may just be that there is already fluoride in our water and our toothpaste so additional treatments are unnecessary. It may be that fluoride reacts with his tinfoil hat. Either way when I went to him I had 9 cavities. 3 years later I have 0 and have kept cavity free for the entire time. So I'm not going to complain.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Nope Cl is essential in NaCl and is an integral component in ion influx (the more sciencey smarter people can explain)