Diet Soda on a diet?

Options
I drink a fair amount of water. I try for 1 gallon a day. But I also drink a few cans of diet soda daily too. More out of habit than anything and it helps satisfy cravings.

I was just wondering if any one had any insight on the diet soda while on a diet and if it effects weigh loss?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It does not affect weight loss.

Drink your diet soda.
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    supposedly zero calories but i would still try to replace it with water if you can, rock some nodoz if you need the caffeine. I would guess if anything your body retains the soda longer than water so you will drop some water weight if you switch off of it but that doesn't matter much long term. When i cut out diet soda for water i lost weight but i was doing other stuff too so it's hard to say.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    supposedly zero calories but i would still try to replace it with water if you can, rock some nodoz if you need the caffeine. I would guess if anything your body retains the soda longer than water so you will drop some water weight if you switch off of it but that doesn't matter much long term. When i cut out diet soda for water i lost weight but i was doing other stuff too so it's hard to say.

What do you think the liquid is in diet soda? It's water. It's fine in moderation - just like everything else - you can even count it towards your daily water goal if you must.

You didn't lose weight by cutting out diet soda... you lost weight by eating less calories.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diet soda works fine for me. The nodoz is a terrible idea.

Nodoz contains between 75 and 200 mg of caffeine. A can of diet Pepsi contains 35 mg.
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It isn't good for you. But it isn't going to hinder weight loss either. I drink a can or two a day.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    HowlinAl wrote: »
    It isn't good for you. But it isn't going to hinder weight loss either. I drink a can or two a day.

Why isn't it good for you?

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have drunk diet soda for years and I'm shamelessly addicted. I drank it when I was gaining weight and I drank it as I was (as I am) losing weight.

Some might tell you that diet soda causes weight gain because it raises cortisol or it makes you hungrier. I don't know whether either of those are true, but the alternative to the "it makes you hungry" argument is to use the same logic (it tastes sweet) to show fulfillment without calories.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    As a zero calorie beverage, diet soda in and of itself will not impact weight loss. However, if you are one of those people who finds the sweetness of the drink causes you to crave more sugar, then that could be a negative to drinking soda, especially if that craving leads to you consuming foods which take you over your daily calorie limit, or if you find that you end up eating foods to help satisfy the craving which do not allow you to hit your macro/micros for the day.

If that's not a problem for you, then there's no reason not to have a diet soda if that's something you like, enjoy, and which you feel is something you want as part of your diet.
  • maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Ask your Dentist.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

I'm not waiting 2 weeks for an appointment... you can tell me, no?

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with diet soda as long as you don't have a sensitivity to the artificial sweeteners and the vast majority of people do not. Diet soda is mostly water; those Soda Stream machines have taught us that, if nothing else has.

Drinking much more water than your body needs isn't helpful for weight loss. Unless you count the extra steps you're taking by walking to the bathroom more often, perhaps. I know there are a lot of people here who seem to think otherwise, but it's simply not true.
  • maplehouse200
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

ph around 3.5.
    Acid erosion of your enamel.
    Not good for you.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with diet soda as long as you don't have a sensitivity to the artificial sweeteners and the vast majority of people do not. Diet soda is mostly water; those Soda Stream machines have taught us that, if nothing else has.

Drinking much more water than your body needs isn't helpful for weight loss. Unless you count the extra steps you're taking by walking to the bathroom more often, perhaps. I know there are a lot of people here who seem to think otherwise, but it's simply not true.

+1
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

I drank diet soda for nearly 20 years (and a lot of it each day for that time) and never took very good care of my teeth. My first cavity wasn't until 19 years after drinking diet soda. It's not scientific, but my experience says it doesn't matter.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

ph around 3.5.
    Not good for you.

Lol.

A lot of things aren't good for you, diet soda is the least of my worries.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

I did ask my dentist. He told me to swish a little bit of water around my mouth after I've finished and I'd be fine.
  • maplehouse200
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

ph around 3.5.
    Not good for you.

Lol.

You asked why it is not good for you.
    I just answered your question.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

I did ask my dentist. He told me to swish a little bit of water around my mouth after I've finished and I'd be fine.

Funny, mine said the same thing. They must be shills for the diet soda industry.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

ph around 3.5.
    Not good for you.

Lol.

Yep. Thanks.

And I replied.

Problem?

• maplehouse200
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

ph around 3.5.
    Not good for you.

Lol.

Yep. Thanks.

And I replied.

Problem?

Not at all.