Bread

Options
124»

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've tried the gluten free diet and I admit it did work for me in flatter tummy and it cut out my cravings for sugar! HOWEVER, it's not sustainable for the long term if you are otherwise healthy and don't need to be GF. So, I think balance is key. For me, it's hard for me to control my appetite when I eat carbs and it doesn't keep me full. I usually stick to protein and veggies and fruit, BUT I do eat healthy carbs and Ezekiel Bread is my fave because it doesn't give me crazy cravings or raise my blood sugar like regular wheat bread or other carbs do. It's your choice, but do what's right for you. I definitely indulge in pizza and bagels when my body craves it but I try to keep that to a minimum, a couple times a month....rather than bread sources every single day! You WILL notice a difference if you cut back. Also, you will have more energy! No more midday crash at work. haha
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I gained 48.5 lbs in the last 17 years because I couldn't give up bread and dairy. I still have it but only with the lowest caloric number I can find at the market. Had to give up crusty Italian bread, which I could eat a loaf of in a day. As soon as I return to my old bread eating habits, the lbs pile on like no tomorrow.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I eat it now and then but it has to be amazing, like Whole Foods olive chibatta :smile: I try to use sandwich thins or bagel thins or Josephs to save the calories as well if I'm going to have it.

Yes I also buy the sandwich and bagel thins and also the Joseph pitas! And the Ezekiel sprout bread is good too! Sometimes I eat regular bread but not often. Helps me stay in my calories.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love bread! I don't find it to be empty calories. How could you have a roast beef sandwich with horseradish mayonnaise without bread? Or an egg sandwich? Or a big fat burger? I don't know how people live without bread and carbs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I love bread! I don't find it to be empty calories. How could you have a roast beef sandwich with horseradish mayonnaise without bread? Or an egg sandwich? Or a big fat burger? I don't know how people live without bread and carbs.

IDK how people eat sammiches using lettuce leaves in place of bread. Bread is definitely not empty of calories or nutrition. "Empty" is being bastardized like "literally".
  • Hipp706
    Hipp706 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding bread for a couple of weeks, felt great, slipped up the past 3 days & eaten bread daily have felt rubbish, and bloated too - I'm sat eating toast - tomorrow I'm going back to not eating it!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I don't eat bread, and there are plenty of other things I like to eat (and that I feel better when I eat) that I can use the calories for.
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Since starting here I've cut back on bread a lot but not entirely (because I like it sometimes and because cutting anything out entirely will make me rage and want it that much more, and thus more likely to deviate from my eating strategy). If I'm having hamburgers for dinner and I have two, I may have one with a bun and the other I'll cut the patty up and put it in a lettuce wrap or just eat plain. I had thought about putting both on one bun and making it a double-cheeseburger, except that would feel to me somehow like less ("that's not two burgers, it's just one super-burger") than if I separated them. Mind over matter and all that.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I freaking love bread.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Bread gooooood. Especially buttery garlic bread. *nommmmms*

There's nothing wrong with bread or carbs unless you have a medical condition. If you don't like what's in bread on the market, make your own. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but so much tastier!
  • riddeb
    riddeb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat cheap and filling when money is tight, hence the weight I am at. It is a $1 more per loaf but we have a few bakeries that bake fresh each day. I found the flax, country seed, even white is so much more filling. I also realized that I don't need 2 sandwiches. Switching to one slice of bread and saving it until my veggies, soup etc are done and finishing with my coffee has taken care of the craving. I do have to leave it in the freezer until I need a slice or it dries out by the next morning. Is this what they have been harping about nothing off limits and just moderation????? :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I love it. fresh Italian bread. but I gave it up w the whole30 program. miss it but....
  • ramsounds
    ramsounds Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work next to an industrial bakery and smell freshly baked bread all day long. I don't even like bread that much, but the smell makes me want some! And that is my opinion on bread. Anything can fit in a healthy diet if you make room for it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Pretty darn tasty in all it's forms. I bake my Grandmother's recipe and that glorious smell lingers for days!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I love bread but it doesn't love me.

:) I no longer eat bread either. it wasn't a healthy relationship, but I am lucky in that I didn't like many breads, especially after having to switch to gluten free bread. Ick.

I do miss a really good sourdough with a thick layer of butter on top though.

This...me too...I switched to gf bread for about a month, then decided there are better ways to eat my calories, as the taste of Udi's isn't awful, but it isn't "bread". The only time I really miss it is if we're at the Keg and they bring a hot crusty loaf with real butter....oi....THAT I miss!

Schar makes a pretty good artisan multigrain bread that's gluten free. It's nice and soft and tastes really good. I don't eat a lot of it but when I want bread, that's the one I get.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I sometimes pick up a baguette from morrisons or sainsbury's to snack for my lunch.
  • kat239
    kat239 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Pretty darn tasty in all it's forms. I bake my Grandmother's recipe and that glorious smell lingers for days!
    Josh_LoL wrote: »
    I love bread. I sometimes pick up a baguette from morrisons or sainsbury's to snack for my lunch.
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Can I have the recipe please x
  • TrudyHiggins1
    TrudyHiggins1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i only have hovis wheatgerm bread as this has plenty of protein and fiber. Wheat germ is packed with important B vitamins, such as folate, vitamin B1 (thiamin) and vitamin B6. B vitamins are important for the heart, to make proper mood chemicals for our brain, and are critical for cardiovascular health.
  • sonyaruns
    sonyaruns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, but avoid it in restaurants due to higher calorie meals and lack of self control with the small loaves the serve.