Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Are these bosses men? How do you normally deal with unwanted male attention?

Why would this even matter? This is silly.

The motivation for the invitations by her superiors is important. I have one response for team spirit and another for if she's being hit on.

My company has company parties with excessive drinking and eating. I go to be part of the team but pass on the tequila shots and eat moderately. However, if a male coworker was giving me rides home and wanting to take me out drinking, and I suspected his motivation was to get into my pants, and this attention was unwanted, I would decline the ride.

As the OP didn't mention the gender of the ride givers in her OP, I asked.
    Was there even the remotest hint -- outside of your fevered imagination -- of this being a question of anything other than OP's weight loss? I mean, for that matter, she said she loved the people she was talking about, not that they were predators. Or do you have two answers, one for Stockholm Syndrome and one for not?

When I think of men doing favors for women which end in alcohol consumption, that's where my mind goes.

Wow. I would hate to live in your world where guys must all have malicious intent.

I have male coworkers invite me to go out with everyone to the bar almost daily. I don't drink so I just turn them down. Every once in a while I will humor the invitation and go, but I just drink diet soda.

I gave an "everyone" example. That's different. And I don't see wanting to hook up as malicious. Or predatory, as Tex said.

Wait, so if a male employee invites a female employee out with the rest of their coworkers, he wants to hook up? Especially if they are sharing a ride?

First of all, she never said her coworkers were male, and if she did, I missed it. Secondly, it is possible for two people of the opposite sex (and same sex) to be platonic friends, go out together and not "hook up". Not every guy who invites a female out wants to "hook up".

Don't forget the OP also mentioned "superiors" (plural) so that makes this hypothetical situation that they are offering her this ride with some presumption of "hooking up" even more unlikely, or even more skeevy, depending whether you want to err on the side of logic or malice.

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

The motivation for the invitations by her superiors is important. I have one response for team spirit and another for if she's being hit on.

My company has company parties with excessive drinking and eating. I go to be part of the team but pass on the tequila shots and eat moderately. However, if a male coworker was giving me rides home and wanting to take me out drinking, and I suspected his motivation was to get into my pants, and this attention was unwanted, I would decline the ride.

Was there even the remotest hint -- outside of your fevered imagination -- of this being a question of anything other than OP's weight loss? I mean, for that matter, she said she loved the people she was talking about, not that they were predators. Or do you have two answers, one for Stockholm Syndrome and one for not?

When I think of men doing favors for women which end in alcohol consumption, that's where my mind goes.

Wow. I would hate to live in your world where guys must all have malicious intent.

I have male coworkers invite me to go out with everyone to the bar almost daily. I don't drink so I just turn them down. Every once in a while I will humor the invitation and go, but I just drink diet soda.

I gave an "everyone" example. That's different. And I don't see wanting to hook up as malicious. Or predatory, as Tex said.

Wait, so if a male employee invites a female employee out with the rest of their coworkers, he wants to hook up? Especially if they are sharing a ride?

First of all, she never said her coworkers were male, and if she did, I missed it. Secondly, it is possible for two people of the opposite sex (and same sex) to be platonic friends, go out together and not "hook up". Not every guy who invites a female out wants to "hook up".

Don't forget the OP also mentioned "superiors" (plural) so that makes this hypothetical situation that they are offering her this ride with some presumption of "hooking up" even more unlikely, or even more skeevy, depending whether you want to err on the side of logic or malice.

I'm sorry but I don't follow your logic either...

So what you are saying is the absolute only reason her "male" "superiors" invite her is to get in her pants?

Wow... Either I'm just not following or you have some very serious, preconceived, presumptions about all males in general.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

So what you are saying is the absolute only reason her "male" "superiors" invite her is to get in her pants?

Wow... Either I'm just not following or you have some very serious, preconceived, presumptions about all males in general.

ME? NO! I am refuting that claim that was made above by another poster. Read the whole thread.

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

ME? NO! I am refuting that claim that was made above by another poster. Read the whole thread.

LOL! I didn't mean that toward you... I didn't go back in the quotes far enough I guess. Sorry. ;)

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    This must have been a fly by post cause we have yet to hear from the OP again.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Or she decided she didn't want to deal with some of the ridiculous claims in this thread.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Or she decided she didn't want to deal with some of the ridiculous claims in this thread.

Probably being taken somewhere to eat by her superiors.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love my superiors. They generally care about my wellbeing, but not for the eating habits. Since they live near, they usually offer to give me a ride. But I hate it when they have spontaneous dinners and drinking sessions and I'm just internally forced to tag along. It's not that unhealthy, but it doesn't help in my weight loss journey either. Help!

Have you voiced this? I take my team out and celebrate victories, but mindful of my intake and theirs.

What do you need help with? Communicating you eating preference to them?

There's nothing strange about your co-workers no matter what level wanting to spend time outside of work. We often spend more time with them than our families, so of course we want to maintain a good relationship with our work families.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    How bout, "No thank you, I have plans".
  • karenhannahmae
    karenhannahmae Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The replies in this thread are hilarious! To clarify, my bosses are women who are around 8-13 years older than me. We all live in the same city so their offer of riding home (and not from home to work) is very convenient as our city is very far from the office. I normally go to work through public transportation, so I only agree out of convenience. Yesterday was definitely a weather issue. And they only decide to eat somewhere when we are already in the car (really spur of the moment!). I know I can simply reject joining them, but since I'm new to the job, I'm also trying to create and have a decent, friendly relationship with them. Since we're only three, and the bosses offer drinks and food to share, it is very difficult not to have what they're having. I once tried to just order water for drinks, but out of a jokingly manner of pressure from one of them, I ended up having their drinks too. It's normally dinner time and I'm quite hungry too, but my issue here is the choice of food and the unnecessary drinking.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The replies in this thread are hilarious! To clarify, my bosses are women who are around 8-13 years older than me. We all live in the same city so their offer of riding home (and not from home to work) is very convenient as our city is very far from the office. I normally go to work through public transportation, so I only agree out of convenience. Yesterday was definitely a weather issue. And they only decide to eat somewhere when we are already in the car (really spur of the moment!). I know I can simply reject joining them, but since I'm new to the job, I'm also trying to create and have a decent, friendly relationship with them. Since we're only three, and the bosses offer drinks and food to share, it is very difficult not to have what they're having. I once tried to just order water for drinks, but out of a jokingly manner of pressure from one of them, I ended up having their drinks too. It's normally dinner time and I'm quite hungry too, but my issue here is the choice of food and the unnecessary drinking.

So don't drink and eat sparingly.
    33795-Big-Girl-Panties.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I didn't claim anything. I asked a question about the situation which the OP has now clarified. I was tired of the speculation and wrote to her and asked her.

• mlaccs
    mlaccs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This may be one of the most bizarre posts of the month. To answer the question (that so many ignored in an attempt to make this about power or sex) ...... GO out with the team. Skipping sometimes is OK. Skipping all the times WILL impact your being part of the team and as such your career. When out be clear that you are working on your health and order water or tea or whatever fits your taste. Order the healthiest option or skip or eat what you like and log it. There is a difference between being anti-social and giving in to all peer-pressure.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So, Cougars?

I didn't claim anything. I asked a question about the situation which the OP has now clarified. I was tired of the speculation and wrote to her and asked her.
    You were the one who speculated about it. I feel sure everyone else was tired of your doing it, too.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You have bosses who provide you with transportation to and from work, AND who want to feed you as well?

What a-holes. You should call a lawyer. I'm pretty sure that excessive kindness is illegal.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Do you feel pressured into uncomfortable romantic liaisonswith these older, female bosses? I think some posters here would like you to describe the situation in a bit more detail. Don't leave out any of the juicy bits. With the weather issue, I bet some posters are imagining wet clothes...you can take it from there.

*fans self