Is chlorine in our water negative for better health?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    WTF did I just read

Drinking too much of that funny water :)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    First world problem. There are still two billion people needing secure water supply, and would happily accept chlorination to get there.

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/natural-sciences/environment/water/wwap/facts-and-figures/water-supply-sanitation-and-health/

people-are-more-interested-in-looking-for-water-on-mars-14314118121447245283.jpg

• paulitacedi
    paulitacedi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, with all respect, this is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. I'm a water resource engineer and my work is to ensure clean water for people. Chlorine is a must to protect you from dangerous diseases and fluoride protects your teeth.... This kind of post just doesn't make any sense
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    WTF did I just read

54920505.jpg

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I wonder how much faster all the pathogens would kill you if the tap water was not chlorinated. Pretty dang quick, I would think.
    That depends on whether you can upgrade the supply system and the filtering systems prior to treatment. Our water in the Netherlands is perfectly safe meets and greatly exceeds safety regs (ours our very very stringent) and still the water is not chlorinated. When set out against data fromother countries we are at the highest safest end of the scale.
    We are lucky that a lot of our water goes through natural sandfilters (nature reseerves as well as water reserves) but about 1/3 to half of our water is sourced from our main rivers.
    Our water tastes so much better than in the US as I recently found out. All of a sudden I understood the resentment to drinking tapwater.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I wonder how much faster all the pathogens would kill you if the tap water was not chlorinated. Pretty dang quick, I would think.

Our water tastes so much better than in the US as I recently found out. All of a sudden I understood the resentment to drinking tapwater.

That's true. I lived in the states for 17 years and absolutely despised drinking water. I lived on diet coke. Yuck!
    I now live in Germany and happily drink 3-4 liters of sparkling mineral water daily. Cola is a distant memory.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In our rural area most have private 4" plastic wells ranging from 75' to 300' or around 75 meters on average. We are 50 miles from where the Ohio and Mississippi rivers join. They drill until they hit good water bearing sands then go a little deeper the best I can remember.

Private home wells do not require chlorination but if it is like a church or school then private wells with public access have to be chlorinated. Our church is not chlorinated but it will be required when we make any plumbing changes and apply for a plumbing permit for the new work. We are in Kentucky and the laws/codes vary from state to state.

The info in the line below is dated but clearly shows an increase in numbers of certain types of cancer due to chlorinated drinking water and the mindset of human harm that is a side effect.

darwin.bio.uci.edu/sustain/global/sensem/Nunez298.html

"Government officials feel that the sacrifice of a few cases of cancer and other health problems is well worth it, in comparison to no sanitary water at all........"

@dutchandkiwi your public water system truly is awesome. Thanks for showing us there are non toxic ways to produce safe drinking water without harming people with harsh chemicals.

drink-water-eng-sci.net/2/1/2009/dwes-2-1-2009.pdf

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    It may just be that there is already fluoride in our water and our toothpaste so additional treatments are unnecessary.

That seems very likely. Was just reading material from Snopud.com - your water sources all contain fluoride. Too much fluoride causes irregular bright white staining as I recall.

Fluoridation isn't used here in Vancouver. Our dentist treats us.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    On the subject of supplements they all carry an element of risk and for that reason I not suggest others take them. Google is one way to learn pros and cons on most any subject and that is what I use for my own research into any supplement before I do a trial use of it.

Supplements that have been in continued use for 3000-5000 years interest me. If they had no value I question they would still be in usage today. It must have been more than a future huge gullible USA market driving 4000 years of usage. :)

Humans are complex meat machines. Just because something has been used for many decades or longer doesn't mean its effective or that an observed positive outcome was as a result of the agent used.

From what I can see from the little available literature there's little observed benefit (various published studies cited by Sloan Kettering and others) but the compound itself is known to be a carcinogen itself if ingested through the lungs, leading to the same types of disease as experienced by those exposed repeatedly to asbestos fibres in their breathing air.

If this particular compound has a direct not tangential link to water treatment I must have missed that so wonder why it has been brought up.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that there isn't a single peer reviewed source among the references.

Do the words "reliable source" mean anything at all to you Gale?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, with all respect, this is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. I'm a water resource engineer and my work is to ensure clean water for people. Chlorine is a must to protect you from dangerous diseases and fluoride protects your teeth.... This kind of post just doesn't make any sense

Oh hey look, sanity showed up in this thread. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Supplements that have been in continued use for 3000-5000 years interest me. If they had no value I question they would still be in usage today.
    Maybe they have as much value as astrology.

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Actually your body removes chlorine when you drink it in water. When you use a hot shower the chlorine gas is 50x stronger. Your skin obsorbs it quicker and you breath it into the blood stream more rapid. It's listed as a
    pesticide on the fda website because it kills living organisms and been found in high concentrations in breast cancer people.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Actually your body removes chlorine when you drink it in water. When you use a hot shower the chlorine gas is 50x stronger. Your skin obsorbs it quicker and you breath it into the blood stream more rapid. It's listed as a
    pesticide on the fda website because it kills living organisms and been found in high concentrations in breast cancer people.
    Chlorine is also found in high concentration in salt.

• auddii
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ha! (Although, to be fair, that's chloride.)
  • DeguelloTex
    edited September 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    No, it's chlorine. The molecule is called chloride according to the naming convention of molecules, but the actual element is chlorine.

• auddii
    Options
    No, it's chlorine. The molecule is called chloride according to the naming convention of molecules, but the actual element is chlorine.
    Chloride is the ion (Cl-), and chlorine is the element, which exists as Cl2 right? I think? Man, it has been waaaaay too long since chemistry class...
  • DeguelloTex
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chloride is the ion (Cl-), and chlorine is the element, which exists as Cl2 right? I think? Man, it has been waaaaay too long since chemistry class...
    "Take the binary compound NaCl. The Na+ is a sodium cation. The Cl- is a chlorine anion, which gets the suffix -ide added to it. When you put them together, it becomes sodium chloride."

http://study.com/academy/lesson/naming-ionic-compounds-simple-binary-transition-metal-polyatomic-ion-compounds.html

It's still chlorine, whether it's monatomic, diatomic, ionic, whatever. NaCl is sodium and chlorine. I mean, the O in H2O is still oxygen, even if it's named as monoxide in that molecule, but normally exists a diatomic O2, right?
  • auddii
    Options
    "Take the binary compound NaCl. The Na+ is a sodium cation. The Cl- is a chlorine anion, which gets the suffix -ide added to it. When you put them together, it becomes sodium chloride."

http://study.com/academy/lesson/naming-ionic-compounds-simple-binary-transition-metal-polyatomic-ion-compounds.html

It's still chlorine, whether it's monatomic, diatomic, ionic, whatever. NaCl is sodium and chlorine. I mean, the O in H2O is still oxygen, even if it's named as monoxide in that molecule, but normally exists a diatomic O2, right?

Ha, apparently I need more coffee before attempting to science in the morning.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Better stop breathing while taking a shower. Better yet, don't shower.