Is chlorine in our water negative for better health?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    br3adman wrote: »
    Actually your body removes chlorine when you drink it in water. When you use a hot shower the chlorine gas is 50x stronger. Your skin obsorbs it quicker and you breath it into the blood stream more rapid. It's listed as a
    pesticide on the fda website because it kills living organisms and been found in high concentrations in breast cancer people.
    Chlorine is also found in high concentration in salt.

Better stop breathing while taking a shower. Better yet, don't shower.

There's a whole host of people in my town that have chosen that option. I choose the stop breathing when i'm unfortunate enough to come across them.
    Ive also learnt i can move very fast when motivated by lack of oxygen.

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I wonder how much faster all the pathogens would kill you if the tap water was not chlorinated. Pretty dang quick, I would think.
    That depends on whether you can upgrade the supply system and the filtering systems prior to treatment. Our water in the Netherlands is perfectly safe meets and greatly exceeds safety regs (ours our very very stringent) and still the water is not chlorinated. When set out against data fromother countries we are at the highest safest end of the scale.
    We are lucky that a lot of our water goes through natural sandfilters (nature reseerves as well as water reserves) but about 1/3 to half of our water is sourced from our main rivers.
    Our water tastes so much better than in the US as I recently found out. All of a sudden I understood the resentment to drinking tapwater.

Do you have an issue with water shortages in the Netherlands? I live in the West of the US and many states suffer from water shortages, and as a result some areas are forced to used recycled waste water or water transported from many miles.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can not longer drink the water that comes from my faucet. I get sick after 2 to 3 glasses. I will throw it all back up. Sorry that was gross but that is what happens. I HAVE to have filter water. (Kroger's filter water is great and I drink at least 3 to 4 bottle or more a day. :blush:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I can not longer drink the water that comes from my faucet. I get sick after 2 to 3 glasses. I will throw it all back up. Sorry that was gross but that is what happens. I HAVE to have filter water. (Kroger's filter water is great and I drink at least 3 to 4 bottle or more a day. :blush:

What the heck is in your water?
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Also I found that the water that runs through a reverse osmosis filter. It is better! It taste clean and has NO bad smell ! :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much faster all the pathogens would kill you if the tap water was not chlorinated. Pretty dang quick, I would think.
    That depends on whether you can upgrade the supply system and the filtering systems prior to treatment. Our water in the Netherlands is perfectly safe meets and greatly exceeds safety regs (ours our very very stringent) and still the water is not chlorinated. When set out against data fromother countries we are at the highest safest end of the scale.
    We are lucky that a lot of our water goes through natural sandfilters (nature reseerves as well as water reserves) but about 1/3 to half of our water is sourced from our main rivers.
    Our water tastes so much better than in the US as I recently found out. All of a sudden I understood the resentment to drinking tapwater.

Do you have an issue with water shortages in the Netherlands? I live in the West of the US and many states suffer from water shortages, and as a result some areas are forced to used recycled waste water or water transported from many miles.
    No we don't suffer from shortages. Though in a way you can see the river water as recycled wastewater too. These rivers were in the past incredibly dirty and I know that when low they are be pretty bad still. We are at the end of the rivers which are used throughout Europe for transport.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Chlorination is a new positive IMO. Certainly other ways to disinfect water though.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

In Houston, a large portion of our drinking water is reclaimed from the sewage produced by Dallas. Last time Texas had a huge drought, facebook was full of memes telling Dallas to keep flushing...
  • _John_
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

In Houston, a large portion of our drinking water is reclaimed from the sewage produced by Dallas. Last time Texas had a huge drought, facebook was full of memes telling Dallas to keep flushing...

Few people comprehend the word "treated" though...
  • auddii
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

One of my favorite "how it's made" type shows showed a water bottling plant and talked about the different filtration process. The more entertaining part is that part of the water supply was bottled, and the rest of the water went into several other filtration process and treatments and then into the municipal system. So, because it underwent further filtration, the municipal system actually had cleaner water.
  • _John_
    Options

One of my favorite "how it's made" type shows showed a water bottling plant and talked about the different filtration process. The more entertaining part is that part of the water supply was bottled, and the rest of the water went into several other filtration process and treatments and then into the municipal system. So, because it underwent further filtration, the municipal system actually had cleaner water.

I love how much bottled water is RO water from the Plano water supply...

Believe there's still a bottled water company bottling up a CA public water supply source and selling it too...drought and all.
  • auddii
    Options

I love how much bottled water is RO water from the Plano water supply...

Believe there's still a bottled water company bottling up a CA public water supply source and selling it too...drought and all.
    It's because my hometown is awesome. :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    People don't realize there's more jeopardy from flushed prescription medications than from any chemicals used in the treatment processes. Those prescriptions don't get filtered out, sometimes and can be still present in the tap water.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Oleeeevia wrote: »
    I agree with the OP because he sounds super logical and very smart. Yay OP!!!!

LOL
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Oleeeevia wrote: »
    I agree with the OP because he sounds super logical and very smart. Yay OP!!!!

LOL

Lol.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options

Yes that happens in Utrecht here in the Netherlands, though they are two companies next to eachother The Bar-le-duc bottled water pipe goes into the same aquifier as the muncipal supply, about 400m down further down. One costs about 100 times what the other costs. The water that comes form there is known to be very soft (very little calcium) and the best in the country.