Extreme Low Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, also a bag of Doritos has 140 calories, 68 of which are from carbs, 63 of which are from fat. Again, seems weird to blame "carbs" for those calories. Pizza generally has a ton of calories from fat too, cheese, fatty meats (if you add them), olives, olive oil or whatever else is used depending on the pizza.

It's so weird how people write off high cal foods they tend to overeat as "carbs" when typically they are a mix.

i always find this interesting as well...

most of the carbs people seem to be "addicted" to and whatnot seem to be of this mix...i've yet to here about black beans giving anyone crazy cravings...

Black beans have protein and tons and tons of fiber -- not a carb anywhere close to chips or pizza.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Oh, also a bag of Doritos has 140 calories, 68 of which are from carbs, 63 of which are from fat. Again, seems weird to blame "carbs" for those calories. Pizza generally has a ton of calories from fat too, cheese, fatty meats (if you add them), olives, olive oil or whatever else is used depending on the pizza.

It's so weird how people write off high cal foods they tend to overeat as "carbs" when typically they are a mix.

most of the carbs people seem to be "addicted" to and whatnot seem to be of this mix...i've yet to here about black beans giving anyone crazy cravings...

Black beans have protein and tons and tons of fiber -- not a carb anywhere close to chips or pizza.

again, i'm commenting on the point that a lot of people associate carbs with things that are also high fat...not just carbs...but the carbs are the debil...

are they "addicted" to the carbs, or the fat...or the combo?...but again, debil carbs...
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    A quick search tells me that a slice of Dominos pepperoni pizza has 13 grams fat and 34 grams carbs
    1 gram fat = 9 calories, 1 gram carbs = 4 calories, so this slice of pizza gives you 117 calories from fat and 136 calories from carbs
    So why are you blaming the carbs and not the fat?
    Why take pizza as an example of why you need to eat low carb and not e.g. oranges or tomatoes?

I always wonder why people think those who eat low carb are incapable of coming to correct conclusions. But to answer the question, I imagine it's because those who eat low carb generally eat high fat without issue. I do; I eat a lot of fat without the issues I have with carbs.

Whether it's pizza and chips with fat or soda, candy or even fruit or vegetables that are generally low/no fat it doesn't matter -- too many carbs is the issue. As delicious as the fat and carb combo is, it's the carbs without question. For me, at least.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I started on a ketogenic diet about 5 days ago, and hungry is one thing I'm not. Maybe you haven't eaten enough fat to compensate for energy you're not getting from carbs. I feel a little lightheaded, and I'm guzzling water to keep up with the water I'm losing, but my energy level for exercise is through the roof. I've been testing my ketones and I'm definitely in ketosis. This is supposed to help me with chronic pain. I don't know if I would cut back this far on carbs just to lose weight. So far, I still have pain, but my mood is awesome.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    A quick search tells me that a slice of Dominos pepperoni pizza has 13 grams fat and 34 grams carbs
    1 gram fat = 9 calories, 1 gram carbs = 4 calories, so this slice of pizza gives you 117 calories from fat and 136 calories from carbs
    Why take pizza as an example of why you need to eat low carb and not e.g. oranges or tomatoes?

I always wonder why people think those who eat low carb are incapable of coming to correct conclusions. But to answer the question, I imagine it's because those who eat low carb generally eat high fat without issue. I do; I eat a lot of fat without the issues I have with carbs.

Whether it's pizza and chips with fat or soda, candy or even fruit or vegetables that are generally low/no fat it doesn't matter -- too many carbs is the issue. As delicious as the fat and carb combo is, it's the carbs without question. For me, at least.

And why is too many carbs an issue (as opposed to too much dietary fat)?

Fat has a caloric load more than double that of Carbs (per gram).
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who posted their opinion and advice! I read through everyone's response and have decided to follow the low carb for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm on day two and feel lots of energy and don't feel hungry! As I had said before, I did low cal and did well on it, but am wanting to see how my body responds to something different. Sometimes it's good to shake things up a bit. Every person responds differently to different things. I will post my 15 day results.

Give it 3 weeks to be keto-adapted. (Below 40 grams/day). Remember, it's not about weight loss, it's about Fat loss and improving your blood and hormone profiles. In this regard Keto wins hands-down every time.

^ please substantiate that claim. Ideally both protein and cal intake will be held constant between groups

Please substantiate that pronouncement.

• lodro
    Options

It's only weird if you don't factor in what happens to insulin when you eat carbohydrates.

sigh.
  • lodro
    Options

Hi. Yes, cravings for something higher carb.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

And why is too many carbs an issue (as opposed to too much dietary fat)?

Fat has a caloric load more than double that of Carbs (per gram).

My guess is that different people are different. In general, fatty acid metabolism is steadier than carbohydrate metabolism. When I eat high fat, I don't even think about food until I feel physical hunger, not merely cravings, and I don't want to eat as much. It might work differently for you. I get to the end of the day, and feel I should have some avocado to bring my calories up, in spite of having no particular urge to eat.

But you should do what works best for you. I'm trying a ketogenic diet for health reasons not related to weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    What like the WHOLE FOODS? Please!!!!

I do happen to think that limiting the amount of inflammatory foods in my diet is healthy.

I certainly do not want MY diet to lack in essential fats and protein.

For me and probably countless others Low Carb means I don't have to restrict my portion size, that I don't have to stop eating something when i'm still hungry or I still want more.

The the biggest benefit is I can eat the food I love and not have the ball-ache or worry about weighing it or logging it.

For me it's simplicity and taste at it's finest.

Its not just the low carbers that dont have to worry about portion size. I am like i have a tape worm and can still lose weight. I lost weight in my tenure without logging calories too. And i eat over 200g of carbs a day... i generally aim for 250g. But this has more to do with thr fact that i have a good amount of muscle, my tdee is about 3000 ish calories and i enjoy being active. And my diet doesn't lack essential fats or proteins because its actually pretty easy to hit both of those levels. Even high carbs can hit the essential levels. I actually exceed both levels and hit 45 to 50% of my calories from carbs.

I'm not saying it is only low carber's that can eat intuitively - I am merely siting my own experience.

If I switch to more carbs in my diet, I really struggle to control my appetite.

Besides my favour foods are mainly meat based :)

I'm just about to make a pancetta and Shiitake omelette (with a large glass of wine)!

Those statements sound contradictory.

In what way?

You're favorite foods are mainly meat, but you can't control your appetite with carbs.
    I'm not saying it is necessarily contradictory, just they sound that way.

There's nothing contradictory in the least about my statement (if that's what you are comparing)!!!??

If you are comparing my experience with your own experience (as Lemurcat12 is) then our experiences are contradictory (to a fashion), but my statement in isolation does not fall under the definition of contradictory.

I think what seems weird about it is that you say you have trouble controlling your appetite with foods that you aren't that into. I'm not that into bread or rice or the like either, but that's why I decided it was silly to cut them out--I am not going to overeat rice, even before dieting I never kept bread around the house and if I had some I'd forget to eat it, the sauce has always been what I liked about pasta, etc.

But I do understand -- apparently some people (although not me) find that their hunger levels are different if they eat carbs and so cutting carbs ends up not being about tempting foods, but a hunger control mechanism.

I think you are making lots of assumptions, which is why your assumption my statement is contradictory is wrong.

I made no assumptions and was not claiming that your statement was contradictory. I was explaining why someone might read it as such, or at least a little weird. Based on what you'd said I actually thought it made sense, as I also said.

Oh sorry I assumed you found my statement contradictory.

Maybe it was your comment 'I find this contradictory too'.???

Also a sharing bag of doritos is more like 1000 calories. nom, nom, nom

Even that comment I qualified -- I was pointing out why it sounded contradictory and then noted why it probably was not. The more recent one that you were actually responding to was more explicit:

"I think what seems weird about" -- see, I'm explaining why someone might take it as contradictory.

But then: "But I do understand..."

Sometimes I think (not assuming, just saying what it seems like) that you go out of your way to be argumentative even when people aren't actually disagreeing or arguing with you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

It's only weird if you don't factor in what happens to insulin when you eat carbohydrates.

sigh.

insulin isn't quite the bad guy everyone seems to make it out to be...

sigh.

too bad so many people don't actually understand how insulin actually works...

sigh.
  • lodro
    Options

sigh.

sigh.

sigh.

oh dear. love you too, bro.

• lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

The last pizza I ate was a slice of Giordano's stuffed spinach (not my preferred pizza -- I usually like thin crust from a local Italian place with some lean meat if possible, lots of vegetables, and made with olive oil as the fat plus a more sensible amount of cheese). Anyway, the Giordano's was 500 calories, 189 from fat (38%), 216 from carbs (43%), and 96 calories from protein (19%). Kind of like the SAD!

100 grams of black beans (measured raw) would be 341 calories, of which 248 calories (or 72%) are from carbs, and 88 calories or 26% are from protein. Much more carby, really. That you'd say it's less of a "carb" than foods that are much higher in fat and lower in carb percentage is interesting and shows how the term "carb" gets so misused in these discussions, as if it meant "junk food." When, of course, fruits and vegetables are classic carbs.

The reason most people are more likely to overeat the pizza is the combination of carbs+fat, I'd expect.

Which was the main point -- focusing on just the carbs as the reason people overeat "junk food" or other hyperpalatable foods is simply inaccurate, and even more so is the claim that they are high in calories because carbs. (The crust plus the vegetables in a pizza often isn't all that high cal, and probably would be easy to stop eating if you didn't add the fat. Heck, I have basically the same thing for dinner quite often -- pasta with lots of vegetables and some lean meat, not much cheese -- and find it neither high cal nor at all hard to be satisfied with in a normal-sized portion.)

I'd also recommend the section in Michael Moss' Salt, Sugar, Fat on fat.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I do happen to think that limiting the amount of inflammatory foods in my diet is healthy.

For me and probably countless others Low Carb means I don't have to restrict my portion size, that I don't have to stop eating something when i'm still hungry or I still want more.

The the biggest benefit is I can eat the food I love and not have the ball-ache or worry about weighing it or logging it.

Its not just the low carbers that dont have to worry about portion size. I am like i have a tape worm and can still lose weight. I lost weight in my tenure without logging calories too. And i eat over 200g of carbs a day... i generally aim for 250g. But this has more to do with thr fact that i have a good amount of muscle, my tdee is about 3000 ish calories and i enjoy being active. And my diet doesn't lack essential fats or proteins because its actually pretty easy to hit both of those levels. Even high carbs can hit the essential levels. I actually exceed both levels and hit 45 to 50% of my calories from carbs.

I'm not saying it is only low carber's that can eat intuitively - I am merely siting my own experience.

I'm just about to make a pancetta and Shiitake omelette (with a large glass of wine)!

In what way?

You're favorite foods are mainly meat, but you can't control your appetite with carbs.

There's nothing contradictory in the least about my statement (if that's what you are comparing)!!!??

If you are comparing my experience with your own experience (as Lemurcat12 is) then our experiences are contradictory (to a fashion), but my statement in isolation does not fall under the definition of contradictory.

I think what seems weird about it is that you say you have trouble controlling your appetite with foods that you aren't that into. I'm not that into bread or rice or the like either, but that's why I decided it was silly to cut them out--I am not going to overeat rice, even before dieting I never kept bread around the house and if I had some I'd forget to eat it, the sauce has always been what I liked about pasta, etc.

But I do understand -- apparently some people (although not me) find that their hunger levels are different if they eat carbs and so cutting carbs ends up not being about tempting foods, but a hunger control mechanism.

I think you are making lots of assumptions, which is why your assumption my statement is contradictory is wrong.

My favorite food is meat (beef, game, chicken, lamb, pork etc), I will happily eat that for every meal - it's expensive so I don't.

Liking meat does not mean I do not like carbs. Eating low carb does not mean I do not like carbs.

I like carbs, I have never said I do not like carbs. My diet is low carb - it isn't no carb.

My favorite meal is chilli (I love chilli) - I will generally make it and eat it until I am full.

I also like pizza and when I eat pizza I eat it till I'm full, which is generally the whole pizza, there are a lot more calories in a whole pizza than there is in my big bowl of chilli (i have entered the recipe into MFP to see).

I like Doritios, I don't crave them and can happily go a month without them, but believe me if I open a big sharing packet I will eat from it until I am satisfied, which is general most of the packet.

I do not like having to stop eating until I am full or I feel I have eaten enough and am satisfied and with carbs the calories stack up quicker than with protein / fatty foods.

That is why for ME a low carb diet is perfect.

Lots of assumptions going on here.

So for the record - go to pizza: Pizza Hut 'medium Pan Meat Feast - with a BBQ base'

Calories - 1904
    Carbs - 179.2

My chilli (double serving because I'm generally hungry):

Calories - 788
    Carbs - 26

I didn't use tomatoes or oranges as an example because I don't have issues with eating them:

1904 calories = 119 tomatoes
    1904 calories = 30 oranges

I'm general satisfied and full before reaching those quantities of those particular fruit.

Good point with the fat in pizza by the way. Most of it is soaked into the carb base and is polyunsaturated (another good reason for me to limit this food in my diet). At least with my fatty meat I get mostly saturated fat.

So, it is not carbs you crave, but pizza? Why call this a low carb eating style, and not a low junk food eating style, or restricted high calorie food lifestyle?
    I would think that low carb means actually this, low carb, not counting the calories or personal preference of each food. I would never eat an entire pizza, I eat 1-2 slices. So, from your pizza, assuming it has 8 slices, I would be eating 1/8 or 1/4, so 22-44 grams of carbs. So why is this worse than eating 1-2 medium apples? They have the same carbs as the pizza. I am confused now as to what low carb is supposed to be.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

sigh.

sigh.

sigh.
    There's insulin and then there is "insulin". If I could find this "insulin" some talk about, I'd have the world's cleanest power source, producing energy out of nothing.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

In what way?

My favorite food is meat (beef, game, chicken, lamb, pork etc), I will happily eat that for every meal - it's expensive so I don't.

Liking meat does not mean I do not like carbs. Eating low carb does not mean I do not like carbs.

I like carbs, I have never said I do not like carbs. My diet is low carb - it isn't no carb.

My favorite meal is chilli (I love chilli) - I will generally make it and eat it until I am full.

I also like pizza and when I eat pizza I eat it till I'm full, which is generally the whole pizza, there are a lot more calories in a whole pizza than there is in my big bowl of chilli (i have entered the recipe into MFP to see).

I like Doritios, I don't crave them and can happily go a month without them, but believe me if I open a big sharing packet I will eat from it until I am satisfied, which is general most of the packet.

I do not like having to stop eating until I am full or I feel I have eaten enough and am satisfied and with carbs the calories stack up quicker than with protein / fatty foods.

That is why for ME a low carb diet is perfect.

Lots of assumptions going on here.

So for the record - go to pizza: Pizza Hut 'medium Pan Meat Feast - with a BBQ base'

Calories - 1904
    Carbs - 179.2

My chilli (double serving because I'm generally hungry):

Calories - 788
    Carbs - 26

I didn't use tomatoes or oranges as an example because I don't have issues with eating them:

1904 calories = 119 tomatoes
    1904 calories = 30 oranges

I'm general satisfied and full before reaching those quantities of those particular fruit.

Good point with the fat in pizza by the way. Most of it is soaked into the carb base and is polyunsaturated (another good reason for me to limit this food in my diet). At least with my fatty meat I get mostly saturated fat.

So, it is not carbs you crave, but pizza? Why call this a low carb eating style, and not a low junk food eating style, or restricted high calorie food lifestyle?
    I would think that low carb means actually this, low carb, not counting the calories or personal preference of each food. I would never eat an entire pizza, I eat 1-2 slices. So, from your pizza, assuming it has 8 slices, I would be eating 1/8 or 1/4, so 22-44 grams of carbs. So why is this worse than eating 1-2 medium apples? They have the same carbs as the pizza. I am confused now as to what low carb is supposed to be.

I'm not suggesting you eat low carb. Read back through my posts - I'm only giving account of my self.

pizza a Doritos are 'real life' examples of food I limit.

Tomatoes and oranges are not (they're kinda straw man examples)!

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

Generally speaking, low carb and low calorie wind up being the same thing. If you constantly felt hungry, it may not be the best approach for you. With your best recollection, when you went low carb, did you eat enough fat to curb appetite?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

In what way?

I made no assumptions and was not claiming that your statement was contradictory. I was explaining why someone might read it as such, or at least a little weird. Based on what you'd said I actually thought it made sense, as I also said.

Oh sorry I assumed you found my statement contradictory.

Maybe it was your comment 'I find this contradictory too'.???

Also a sharing bag of doritos is more like 1000 calories. nom, nom, nom

Even that comment I qualified -- I was pointing out why it sounded contradictory and then noted why it probably was not. The more recent one that you were actually responding to was more explicit:

"I think what seems weird about" -- see, I'm explaining why someone might take it as contradictory.

But then: "But I do understand..."

Sometimes I think (not assuming, just saying what it seems like) that you go out of your way to be argumentative even when people aren't actually disagreeing or arguing with you.

Lemur, please!

You jumped on the back of my comments and I'm the argumentative one?? True, my very nature is argumentative, which is why I love MFP, but you are in this thread and other - a provocateur. :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    But I wasn't arguing!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    But I wasn't arguing!

That's what makes you such a good provocateur!