Just started counting and I'm putting on weight!?

Options
After being on the birth control pill and a trip across Europe, I put on a couple of kilos.

I had been eating healthy and exercising for around 4 to 5 weeks afterwards, stopped the pill, and didn't lose a single pound, so I decided last week to calorie count...

I have been counting to about 1400 calories and have been exercising a few times a week but now I am putting ON WEIGHT! Ive put on a kilo since I started :'(

I have just had my hormones tested and the doctor wants me to go and get another one (didn't say why).... What is going on here??

It's so discouraging :(

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?
  • Reerdaber
    Reerdaber Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Definately not pregnant
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Reerdaber wrote: »
    Definately not pregnant

Okay, just checking that first! Could be water retention due to the increased exercise.
  • Reerdaber
    Options
    Yeah it's strange though because I have been exercising for weeks now - even before I started counting calories. The scales dont go down they only go up. I hope it is water retention
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?
  • Reerdaber
    Options
    Im measuring things yes
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Im measuring things yes

Measuring or using a scale?
  • Reerdaber
    Options
    A mixture of both, I'm entering things pretty accurately... But even if they were off slightly theres no way im eating enough to be putting weight ON
  • AnnElizabethKate
    AnnElizabethKate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When i changed my workout regime and diet i gained about 3-4 lbs before i started losing again. Believe it was from increase in exercise and my body making adjustments to get used to the change. It balanced out after a week or so
  • Reerdaber
    Options
    Ohh okay that gives me hope :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My big tip to you is get a food scale and weigh all solids that way you will know exactly how many calories you are eating. You'll thank my later :)
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    After being on the birth control pill and a trip across Europe, I put on a couple of kilos.

I had been eating healthy and exercising for around 4 to 5 weeks afterwards, stopped the pill, and didn't lose a single pound, so I decided last week to calorie count...

I have been counting to about 1400 calories and have been exercising a few times a week but now I am putting ON WEIGHT! Ive put on a kilo since I started :'(

I have just had my hormones tested and the doctor wants me to go and get another one (didn't say why).... What is going on here??

It's so discouraging :(

Sweetie, wait to hear what your Dr. has to say. I pray all is well.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Measuring is very in accurate look at this eyeopener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are eating more calories now than you did before you counted? You may think you are low cal but maybe you were lower calorie before.

Or what you are eating now is low cal but too hard for your body to break down so you are holding on to the food and putting on weight.

Compare a typical old diet day with your new diet and see if maybe you didn't make the best modifications for you.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    Or what you are eating now is low cal but too hard for your body to break down so you are holding on to the food and putting on weight.

How does that work?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    You've only been counting calories for a week - give it time. I can fluctuate 5 lbs in a single day.
  • emhunter
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

How does that work?

For example, eating carbs or red meat is really hard for me to break down. So I have to eat salads with light dressings or juice. Or broth soups. If I have a turkey sub on wheat and say bacon egg cheese bowl even though that's a relatively low cal day, it's still not going to result in a loss for me. I'm just giving you examples. Does that make sense?
  • maidentl
    edited September 2015
    Options

How does that work?

For example, eating carbs or red meat is really hard for me to break down. So I have to eat salads with light dressings or juice. Or broth soups. If I have a turkey sub on wheat and say bacon egg cheese bowl even though that's a relatively low cal day, it's still not going to result in a loss for me. I'm just giving you examples. Does that make sense?

No, not at all. Your body uses calories in to determine how much weight you lose/gain. It doesn't matter where they come from.
  • emhunter
    Options

How does that work?

No, not at all. Your body uses calories in to determine how much weight you lose/gain. It doesn't matter where they come from.

That's not true for everyone. How can you say that you KNOW that everyone and every body processes the same? You can't. You are assuming. What works for some doesn't work for others.
  • maidentl
    Options

How does that work?

That's not true for everyone. How can you say that you KNOW that everyone and every body processes the same? You can't. You are assuming. What works for some doesn't work for others.

I know because science.