fast food

Options
I'm not sure this even exist or can be done. I slightly doubt it.. Lol but I want to believe it's possible. So.. Fast food.. It's everywhere and it's growing.. It's convenient, it's normally good, quick, and already cooked. But it my opinion its also a nightmare. Now I don't mean your steak house sit down place or applesbees necessarily ..i mean your Burger King, McDonald, Wendy's.. Ect I'm assuming most people eat fast food quite often but every once In a blue moon I meet one person who goes once a week. It sounds awesome and it's a money saver and I'm sure healthier to not eat fast food. I want to ween myself from it too. Now I'm not avidly going out to eat everyday.. But sometimes it seems like once a week.. Or twice a week.. For petty stuff that probably be made at home or found in a grocery store. For those of you who have completely cut yourself off from fast food chains.. How did you do it.. What steps? Was it hard? Is this even possible? For those of you in same boat as me.. Let's come up with reasons and ideas behind eating out and maybe work together on this.. I don't know.. I just want to hear opinions and thoughts, strategies, results, ect. Be honest. Be blunt and keep in mind I want to learn everything from everyone! Please share and feel free to add me.

Replies

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    > What steps?

Steps? Just stop going. Problem solved.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    For several years now, I have only eaten at fast food places when we're travelling and don't want to stop driving. On those times, I've always been able to find a somewhat healthy meal to eat.
    When not travelling, I keep some home made protein bars in my car/purse/gym bag so that I never get hungry enough to fall into the evil clutches of fast food restaurants.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    Is it a nightmare because of the food you order or because you find it unhealthy or too expensive?

I didn't cut myself off from fast food but I cut myself off from what I ordered at fast food places.

I went from crispy chicken sandwiches with ranch dressing and swiss cheese and bacon and french fries to grilled chicken sandwiches with nothing on them and a side salad to just a grilled chicken filet and side salad with my own dressing to save on the sodium.

So I'm not really sure this helps. :)

This is also coming from someone who ate lunch at some type of fast food place every day....Burger King, Subway, Wendy's...

But, also, my lunchtime priorities have changed. I used to take the time to sit in said fast food place, read and eat but now it's more important I get more walking in so I kind of just hit the whole foods salad bar or buy a bag of Quest protein chips or eat a protein bar on my walk back to work.

I didn't help at all, did I? :p
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    > What steps?

Steps? Just stop going. Problem solved.

Listen that's the obvious answer.. And maybe that's the perfect answer. I'm not looking for the obvious.. I'm looking for ways to keep from going.. I want to hear stories.. I want to hear people's struggles and downfalls and uphill battles. I want to hear the good and bad. Not the answer I already know.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    For several years now, I have only eaten at fast food places when we're travelling and don't want to stop driving. On those times, I've always been able to find a somewhat healthy meal to eat.
    When not travelling, I keep some home made protein bars in my car/purse/gym bag so that I never get hungry enough to fall into the evil clutches of fast food restaurants.

Hmm very interesting.. I never thought to do that? And seeing how this worked for you.. It's not a bad idea. Thank you for sharing
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Is it a nightmare because of the food you order or because you find it unhealthy or too expensive?

I didn't cut myself off from fast food but I cut myself off from what I ordered at fast food places.

I went from crispy chicken sandwiches with ranch dressing and swiss cheese and bacon and french fries to grilled chicken sandwiches with nothing on them and a side salad to just a grilled chicken filet and side salad with my own dressing to save on the sodium.

This is also coming from someone who ate lunch at some type of fast food place every day....Burger King, Subway, Wendy's...

But, also, my lunchtime priorities have changed. I used to take the time to sit in said fast food place, read and eat but now it's more important I get more walking in so I kind of just hit the whole foods salad bar or buy a bag of Quest protein chips or eat a protein bar on my walk back to work.

No this is awesome! I always am so thankful when people share their experiences with me, . Like I said I love to learn and I appreciate your response greatly!! What made you decide to change what you ate versus quit cold turkey eating fast food? Also it's a nightmare because it does get expensive even though "they all offer dollar menus now" just think every dollar could be saved and I'm spending it on cheeseburgers instead ha metaphorically speaking. Not to mention although they offer salads and "semi healthy " food.. Sometimes it seems like the healthier choices have the same amount of calories or higher haha . I wish we had a whole foods here. I loved their burritos.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I use a cash system for groceries. I have five children and a husband to feed on just $400 a month. When my cash is gone, I can't buy anything else. Sooooo, buying fast food cuts into my grocery money, money meant to feed my family.

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I use a cash system for groceries. I have five children and a husband to feed on just $400 a month. When my cash is gone, I can't buy anything else. Sooooo, buying fast food cuts into my grocery money, money meant to feed my family.

Very good idea. Although my budget will be much smaller lol. I have heard of the cash system.. It's very reliable. I'm doing it for grocery shopping and it has helped me stick to it. Never gave it thought on fast food. Thank you for sharing.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure this even exist or can be done. I slightly doubt it.. Lol but I want to believe it's possible. So.. Fast food.. It's everywhere and it's growing.. It's convenient, it's normally good, quick, and already cooked. But it my opinion its also a nightmare. Now I don't mean your steak house sit down place or applesbees necessarily ..i mean your Burger King, McDonald, Wendy's.. Ect I'm assuming most people eat fast food quite often but every once In a blue moon I meet one person who goes once a week. It sounds awesome and it's a money saver and I'm sure healthier to not eat fast food. I want to ween myself from it too. Now I'm not avidly going out to eat everyday.. But sometimes it seems like once a week.. Or twice a week.. For petty stuff that probably be made at home or found in a grocery store. For those of you who have completely cut yourself off from fast food chains.. How did you do it.. What steps? Was it hard? Is this even possible? For those of you in same boat as me.. Let's come up with reasons and ideas behind eating out and maybe work together on this.. I don't know.. I just want to hear opinions and thoughts, strategies, results, ect. Be honest. Be blunt and keep in mind I want to learn everything from everyone! Please share and feel free to add me.

i went from eating out 4-5 times a week (and eating out for lunch every single work day) to not having had it in literally years. I just started preparing my own meals or if i were to eat out i'd eat like a salad from panera or a salad from a salad bar or something that i knew was healthy. Eventually i got used to just preparing my own food. Plus it's a huge money save to prepare your own food. I eat alot of chicken for lunch bc it's easy to cook and can be varied and it's 1.99 a pound. a pound of meat for $2...much much cheaper
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Very good idea. Although my budget will be much smaller lol. I have heard of the cash system.. It's very reliable. I'm doing it for grocery shopping and it has helped me stick to it. Never gave it thought on fast food. Thank you for sharing.

SInce we're feeding seven, it's really not that much. However, I find it easier to feed my seven on a limited budget then it was to feed myself on a limited budget when I was in college. Good luck to you.

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »

i went from eating out 4-5 times a week (and eating out for lunch every single work day) to not having had it in literally years. I just started preparing my own meals or if i were to eat out i'd eat like a salad from panera or a salad from a salad bar or something that i knew was healthy. Eventually i got used to just preparing my own food. Plus it's a huge money save to prepare your own food. I eat alot of chicken for lunch bc it's easy to cook and can be varied and it's 1.99 a pound. a pound of meat for $2...much much cheaper
    brdnw wrote: »

Seriously ? Wow that's a HUGE difference !! Was it hard? I commend you and I hope to eventually get that way soon, where I don't eat out.. Or eat out rarely. Like I said I'm not worst case scenario obviously.. But I don't want to get to worst case scenario either. Lol Ya know. From your photo.. It has obviously paid off and I think that's amazing. Good for you and keep up good work!!!
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options

SInce we're feeding seven, it's really not that much. However, I find it easier to feed my seven on a limited budget then it was to feed myself on a limited budget when I was in college. Good luck to you.

Haha thank you! Yes college budgets aren't a joke..
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food for over three years. The way I did it was. . . I just stopped. When I joined MFP in June 2012, I made some decisions about how I wanted to use my calories and just decided that I could do better. It isn't even just the calories. I just decided that the quality of food there was not what I wanted and I didn't go any more. It doesn't mean I gave up hamburgers or whatever, but if I want that, I either make it myself or go to a real restaurant. It doesn't matter to me how many fast food restaurants there are in the world, I just drive right on by. No steps involved.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food for over three years. The way I did it was. . . I just stopped. When I joined MFP in June 2012, I made some decisions about how I wanted to use my calories and just decided that I could do better. It isn't even just the calories. I just decided that the quality of food there was not what I wanted and I didn't go any more. It doesn't mean I gave up hamburgers or whatever, but if I want that, I either make it myself or go to a real restaurant. It doesn't matter to me how many fast food restaurants there are in the world, I just drive right on by. No steps involved.

HOLY WOW! 3 YEARS?? Was it not difficult? Do you ever have cravings or urges!? I mean it's amazing and I totally commend you. I guess the stopping part is what scares me.. Because being a college student.. It's just convenient and a good excuse lol. I want to set a day to stop and do it. I just need to motivate myself and tell myself it's not worth my money. Because it's not.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options

No this is awesome! I always am so thankful when people share their experiences with me, . Like I said I love to learn and I appreciate your response greatly!! What made you decide to change what you ate versus quit cold turkey eating fast food? Also it's a nightmare because it does get expensive even though "they all offer dollar menus now" just think every dollar could be saved and I'm spending it on cheeseburgers instead ha metaphorically speaking. Not to mention although they offer salads and "semi healthy " food.. Sometimes it seems like the healthier choices have the same amount of calories or higher haha . I wish we had a whole foods here. I loved their burritos.

When I started losing weight, I was doing weight watchers so the grilled chicken sandwiches and side salad were just way less points than what I was getting before. Plus, I don't cook so these were like real meals to me. :)

When I started counting calories, I eventually realized I preferred eating more at night so I go rid of the carby goodness to save on calories.

But lol those salads can get high up there. I'm a simple girl so I was mostly happy with just the lettuce, some chicken, some tomatoes, nd maybe a sprinkling of cheese.

Since you're a student, I can see you not wanting to waste money like that. Otherwise my advice would be eat where and what you want as long as it fits into your calories.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I eat occasionally at fast food places. I just order something smaller. A happy meal instead of a big burger. Just a regular sized burger, no fries instead of a $6 burger.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options

When I started losing weight, I was doing weight watchers so the grilled chicken sandwiches and side salad were just way less points than what I was getting before. Plus, I don't cook so these were like real meals to me. :)

When I started counting calories, I eventually realized I preferred eating more at night so I go rid of the carby goodness to save on calories.

But lol those salads can get high up there. I'm a simple girl so I was mostly happy with just the lettuce, some chicken, some tomatoes, nd maybe a sprinkling of cheese.

Since you're a student, I can see you not wanting to waste money like that. Otherwise my advice would be eat where and what you want as long as it fits into your calories.

Hey I agree with the eat where and what I want and trust me.. I think that's great advice because it's true. No one should not be able to eat what they want. I'm not poverty stricken.. So yes my budget isn't super low lol. Honestly.. IDk. What my budget is quite yet haha. Sadly but I am going to figure this all out this month .i normally look at 60-80 dollars for groceries...so I think that is reasonable.. But.. I mean maybe I could up it and I'm just being to strict on the budget lol
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I eat occasionally at fast food places. I just order something smaller. A happy meal instead of a big burger. Just a regular sized burger, no fries instead of a $6 burger.

Do you feel like you could quit cold turkey if you wanted to?
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I never eat fast food. Not at all. In my opinion, the food is not healthy (even the salads), and not tasty. I bet he last fast food I had was over ten years ago.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Amillionsparkles Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I actually cut junk food once for one whole year, I didn't have many friends at the time so i wouldn't be in a social scenario where everyone is eating. Second, my family barely ever ate outside don't get me wrong the foods at home weren't the healthiest but they were not from restaurants either. Third, I used to go get yummy healthy foods, such as fresh whole grain bread, turkey, yogurt, fruits and oatmeal. I love healthy food, but its just hard to afford it if you're not living at home or if you're around people who don't care for it.
    I now live around people that consume junk food most of the time so i eat but i try to choose the healthiest options and i sometimes just not feel like i want any. I'd eat something i know i like and isn't junk.
    for example i recently went out with some friends to have some burgers and i ordered a burger without any bread and it had a salad side.. just because it's a burger place doesn't mean it has to be junk. :)
    I hope this helped. To summarize it: it's about choices. it's about surrounding people. If you're out with the wrong people make good and smart choices. If you can live with someone healthy do it.

Good luck. Oh and to start with cut soda out all the time. anywhere. it's not junk food but it's basically junk when you drink soda you're encouraged to buy a whole meal and just have something unhealthy which leads to another.