Calories in and Calories Out. Is it really that simple?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    This is the Eat This, Not That website. Read it and make your brain bleed. Like for reals.

http://www.eatthis.com/

I don't know, the first article I opened said tilapia is worse than bacon and doughnuts and that I shouldn't eat it. I hate tilapia. And if it's worse than bacon and doughnuts I'm assuming that means I should eat those instead. So far, I'm liking this site.
    http://www.eatthis.com/tilapia-is-worse-than-bacon
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I echo the many success stories here that CICO is simple but it is not easy. Every habit must be logged and analysed. For instance, how many calories are taken in by the cook during taste testing? After dinner snacks? I'm going to list a couple practical strategies.

1. Read nutrition labels as you enter. Foods will surprise you.
    2. This Stanford developed course helped me learn to troubleshoot, and took a lot of emotion out of the dieting problem.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    faurotann wrote: »
    Now there it is. This is a diet and fitness forum. People know what they want. They just don't know how to get there. Maybe, for limited number, CICO is a new concept. But I highly doubt it. As Lindsey put it, they are asking how to do it.

outside of my actual fitness friends, most of my friends have nary an idea of what a calorie actually is...to most it is an arbitrary number on a nutritional label and has very little meaning...and even if they have some inclining of what a calorie actually is, they have no idea how that number applies to them.

many, if not most people who join this forum are just as ignorant of basic nutrition as anyone in the real world which is why they think they have to do some specific diet or do a cleanse or take some magic pill or whatever...people are generally ignorant of basic nutrition.

telling someone to eat less and thus reduce their energy intake is a completely valid response.

A lot of threads and posts on this forum wouldn't exist if CICO was widely understood.

Amen.
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Now there it is. This is a diet and fitness forum. People know what they want. They just don't know how to get there. Maybe, for limited number, CICO is a new concept. But I highly doubt it. As Lindsey put it, they are asking how to do it.

outside of my actual fitness friends, most of my friends have nary an idea of what a calorie actually is...to most it is an arbitrary number on a nutritional label and has very little meaning...and even if they have some inclining of what a calorie actually is, they have no idea how that number applies to them.

many, if not most people who join this forum are just as ignorant of basic nutrition as anyone in the real world which is why they think they have to do some specific diet or do a cleanse or take some magic pill or whatever...people are generally ignorant of basic nutrition.

telling someone to eat less and thus reduce their energy intake is a completely valid response.

I think you're underestimating your friends. I think they do know what a calorie is. They just don't know how to apply it to themselves. That's where the "how" comes in.

no, i don't think i am...you are correct in that they don't know how to apply it to themselves which I already stated...but I've had many discussions with my friends...they don't even understand that a calorie is a unit of energy...i think you give too much credit to strangers that you don't even know. people in general are very ignorant of general nutrition...i was one of them once upon a time, and no...I didn't really know what a calorie was...it was just an number and meant nothing...hell, a nutritional label meant next to nothing to me once upon a time.

No, they don't know that it's a unit of energy. And they don't care.

umm...so they're ignorant of what's going on then...that was the whole point...you're a piece of work...just one of many trolls on these boards I suppose

No, I did not say they were ignorant of what's going on. I said they don't care that a calorie is a unit of energy. That's all I said.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I think you're underestimating your friends. I think they do know what a calorie is. They just don't know how to apply it to themselves. That's where the "how" comes in.

no, i don't think i am...you are correct in that they don't know how to apply it to themselves which I already stated...but I've had many discussions with my friends...they don't even understand that a calorie is a unit of energy...i think you give too much credit to strangers that you don't even know. people in general are very ignorant of general nutrition...i was one of them once upon a time, and no...I didn't really know what a calorie was...it was just an number and meant nothing...hell, a nutritional label meant next to nothing to me once upon a time.

What exactly do you think ignorance is?
  • faurotann
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I know what ignorance is. I didn't call anyone ignorant. What's your point?
  • maidentl
    Options

Someone said your friends were ignorant and you said they weren't. But here's your quote. Ignorance isn't always an insult. It just means that someone doesn't have that particular knowledge. That's my point.
  • maidentl
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This is the Eat This, Not That website. Read it and make your brain bleed. Like for reals.

I don't know, the first article I opened said tilapia is worse than bacon and doughnuts and that I shouldn't eat it. I hate tilapia. And if it's worse than bacon and doughnuts I'm assuming that means I should eat those instead. So far, I'm liking this site.

*side eyes* LOL

I swear that site is a comedy routine to me now. Here are the article across the top:

1. The Ultimate One Day Detox
    2. How Tilapia is Worse Than Bacon
    3. 7 Best Foods For Rapid Weight Loss
    4. 14 Days To Zero Belly - The Plan
    5. Life Changing Food Swaps

So much woo. So much derp. And millions of people read that site. They have sold many many books. Blergh.

Zero belly . . .

003832_21.jpg
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Yes. I actually stuck through with weight loss this time, and lo and behold, the weight has melted off faster than ice cream on a cone on a hot summer day. The sooner people realize that they're not "special snowflakes" to the science of CICO, the sooner they'll lose the weight.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    AspenDan wrote: »
    In theory its simple, in practice it's not..similar to telling a smoker to "just stop smoking"..."Just CICO" or "Eat less, move more" is completely useless in terms of helpful information

It is rather a cope out answer.

Q - I need advice and tips on how to eat less and move.

A - Just eat less and move more.

Yep great advice.

Kinda like.

Q - I need advice and tips on how to successfully run a sub 30min 5k.

A - just run at 6.32 miles an hour.

It's not really like that, more like:

Q - I love this food and that but I can't eat it because it will make me fat, help me I need some willpower and someone to motivate me!

A - That's not necessary. You don't have to cut anything out. Just eat less and move more. It's all about the calories!

Q - How rude! Why are you so mean?? I thought this forum was intended to help others succeed! I'm outta here!

Don't forget the part where (A) is flagged, reported, and/or given a warning for hurting someone's feelings.

There are ways to do (A) respectfully and kindly. And there are ways to do (A) with mockery, ridicule and by demeaning or belittling people. The latter is wholly unnecessary, but some people here think that so long as you're honest, cruelty doesn't matter. That that is tough love.

And that's such a shame -- because when you attack people, they tend to shut down and not really listen, so it defeats the whole purpose (unless you just get off on being cruel -- which, sadly, I think is the aim for some people on MFP). Then there are others that are kind and respectful, and I think are genuinely appreciated and respected accordingly.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options

*side eyes* LOL

I swear that site is a comedy routine to me now. Here are the article across the top:

1. The Ultimate One Day Detox
    2. How Tilapia is Worse Than Bacon
    3. 7 Best Foods For Rapid Weight Loss
    4. 14 Days To Zero Belly - The Plan
    5. Life Changing Food Swaps

So much woo. So much derp. And millions of people read that site. They have sold many many books. Blergh.

I read the Ultimate One Day Detox. I was a little confused but I was pretty sure one of the steps said to stop stressing over the box of cookies I just ate (probably because they suggested I not eat breakfast and go for a walk and drink some spa water) because stress is bad for weight loss.

So what I got from it so far is eat bacon, not tilapia. And when doing a detox skip breakfast and eat a box of cookies.

Still not seeing a problem here...
  • JazziJeff88
    JazziJeff88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is that simple but by also have to pay attention to your macro nutrients. One gram of protine per your body weight. 0.5 g of fat and then the rest as carbs
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    It is that simple but by also have to pay attention to your macro nutrients. One gram of protine per your body weight. 0.5 g of fat and then the rest as carbs

Macros are important for body composition. Not for pure weight loss barring any medical condition.

And people with different goals will have different macro breakdowns. Your protein rec is on the high side of things.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Yes. I actually stuck through with weight loss this time, and lo and behold, the weight has melted off faster than ice cream on a cone on a hot summer day. The sooner people realize that they're not "special snowflakes" to the science of CICO, the sooner they'll lose the weight.

Could we maybe stop all the "special snowflake" name calling? Do people not realize that's an insult?

• lindsey1979
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    AspenDan wrote: »
    In theory its simple, in practice it's not..similar to telling a smoker to "just stop smoking"..."Just CICO" or "Eat less, move more" is completely useless in terms of helpful information

It is rather a cope out answer.

Q - I need advice and tips on how to eat less and move.

A - Just eat less and move more.

Yep great advice.

Kinda like.

Q - I need advice and tips on how to successfully run a sub 30min 5k.

A - just run at 6.32 miles an hour.

It's not really like that, more like:

Q - I love this food and that but I can't eat it because it will make me fat, help me I need some willpower and someone to motivate me!

A - That's not necessary. You don't have to cut anything out. Just eat less and move more. It's all about the calories!

Q - How rude! Why are you so mean?? I thought this forum was intended to help others succeed! I'm outta here!

Don't forget the part where (A) is flagged, reported, and/or given a warning for hurting someone's feelings.

There are ways to do (A) respectfully and kindly. And there are ways to do (A) with mockery, ridicule and by demeaning or belittling people. The latter is wholly unnecessary, but some people here think that so long as you're honest, cruelty doesn't matter. That that is tough love.

And that's such a shame -- because when you attack people, they tend to shut down and not really listen, so it defeats the whole purpose (unless you just get off on being cruel -- which, sadly, I think is the aim for some people on MFP). Then there are others that are kind and respectful, and I think are genuinely appreciated and respected accordingly.

And what about your posts where you repeatedly insult the intelligence of other posters?

How about UltimateRBF, you just once stick to the posts at hand and stop all the flamebaiting and accusations? Comments like these of yours are exactly what starts all the fights. It's not helpful and its against the forum rules. Please respect the rules.
  • faurotann
    Options

Someone said your friends were ignorant and you said they weren't. But here's your quote. Ignorance isn't always an insult. It just means that someone doesn't have that particular knowledge. That's my point.

No one told me my friends were ignorant. And I didn't tell anyone else his friends were ignorant. You asked what exactly do I think ignorance is. And Wolfman called me a piece of work.
  • maidentl
    Options

No one told me my friends were ignorant. And I didn't tell anyone else his friends were ignorant. You asked what exactly do I think ignorance is. And Wolfman called me a piece of work.

He sure did, right after he said your friends were ignorant and right before you said they aren't. Do you just argue with anything that's said even if it's in direct contradiction to what you just said two minutes ago?
This discussion has been closed.