WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nice pictures!
    I've got my workout in already this morning. We start at 5:15 am. Couch to 10K program. Off to work now. My goal for this week is to not eat any sweets. Have a great day, everyone!
    Maryann in Michigan
    Go for a walk. Go for a run. Go for a hike. Just Go!
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Joan - Most of the 87 lbs I've lost was also without exercise. I did not start exercising for months after I started losing weight. After I enrolled with a Medicare Advantage plan that included Silver Sneakers I started going to the Y and swimming. My goal was to be able to swim a mile by the end of I forget what month. I made my goal earlier than expected. Then life happened and I stopped eating healthy and swimming for about a year. I started back on MFP in June and have lost 27 lbs again with no exercise. I know that 80% of weight loss is what I put in my mouth and I also know that exercising will keep my bones, heart, lungs etc. healthy. I would love to find an exercise buddy and since I'm going back to the Y maybe I will find one! In the meantime I will continue as I have been. It makes me happy knowing I am succeeding at something I had given up on ever being successful at. Thanks to all of you for your support! <3<3<3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Morning all!
    Woke up feeling a little "dull" which is silly after our great weekend. Finally worked out that it was worry about my rental. I still haven't been over to look at it, even though the tenant left on the 10th August and it is under offer. I decided to talk to DH about it and he has agreed to take me over there on Thursday. I need to check out the contents and put crockery etc in boxes for the house clearance people. I've got a bit of a phobia about it all, which is why I'm selling it. :ohwell: But I felt SO much better once we'd decided what to do.

Sylvia - get better soon. :flowerforyou:

Mary - The train company has a thing called "Weekend First" where you just pay £5 extra. When the guard came through he didn't have his machine with him to issue the ticket so we never had to pay the extra. Result! :bigsmile:

Gloworming - My father was one of those "nice men" -a pillar of the church, a cub scout leader and a junior school teacher. Everyone loved him. I never told anyone what had happened to me. Eventually he was arrested for touching one of his pupils. He had a pile of letters at the court hearing from parents saying what a wonderful man he was. He got away with a fine and dismissal from teaching. These "nice" men destroy lives.

Irish Terri - what amazing work! Never seen anything like it! :flowerforyou:

Loving all the scenery photos. Beautiful! <3

DH is going to do the food shopping today. I am going to rest. He also has a 20% off voucher for clothes I printed out for him. Wants some new trousers. He likes the cargo pants with loads of pockets. He hates carrying anything.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) About having an exercise buddy. What about signing up for a class (aerobics, Zumba, spinning, dance) so there will others to connect with. I have always thought that I exercised without a buddy because there was no one who was as universally available to walk when I walk and then I realized that three mornings a week I go to line dance where other people expect to see me and I expect to see them.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif It will be 4:30 AM when I go out to walk and it is highly unlikely that there will be anyone who wants to meet me for this walk smiley-laughing004.gif
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Linda in Ontario You are indeed a brave woman to be picking berries with bears in the vicinity. You made me laugh when you said, " There should be enough berries for all of us. LOL. Bears included"
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Marking my spot. Hoping to go home sometime this week, but not today.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Fit Body Yoga DVD, I was surprised how fast that DVD seemed to go by. Anyway, since Steve will be leaving sometime tomorrow, the plan is to do some of the Abs DVD I have, hold my plank, then do a DVD by Kerry Katona called Real Fitness.

Got up early, exercised, then made a lemon bread for Steve. I just feel so bad knowing that the only other dessert I have is chocolate and he's not a fan of chocolate

TerriRichard - when I have hot air popcorn, that many times makes me want to drink more water

Penny - what a wonderful feeling that you must have had when you tried on that dress. Pretty sooon it'll be too big on you!

Linda - yea for that loss!

Interesting article for our curlers: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article35837994.html from the Charlotte Observer

Sylvia - :(

DJ - yes, I stayed up late because of the company. The thing is...my schedule and his don't match. Vince and I are up, Jess has left, Steve is still sleeping. I've made the lemon bread, iced it. But that's his schedule.

Mindy - congrats on being Employee of the Week, especially since it was only your second week. You rock! You deserve it

Steve is still here so we went to bed late last night. I swear, I must be getting old. There were times when I was ready to close my eyes so I just had to get up and walk around some. Well, he's leaving sometime today, not sure exactly when. I've called the gal and told her we wouldn't be at bowling. Should he leave early, we can just go but I'm not counting on it. We will probably be able to go to ceramics tonight and I'll go to mahjongg

Joyce - do not let missing church become a habit, church does so much for you.

Alison - happy anniversary, even if the day wasn't what you would have liked, at least Tom wasn't yelling at you.

Kim - I had to laugh, too, at your diarrhea explanation.

Katla - I agree with Meg that a cruise would be great, maybe a Caribbean one?

Jess came down yesterday. I feel bad since she wasn't even here for 24 hours. I suspect part of the reason she came was because Steve was here. If he hadn't been here, she might not have bothered. Anyway, Steve was asking her about vet school (she applied to the school in the Caribbean) and her new bf. Seems she isn't real into him. You know, in a way I think Vince has her spoinled. She is looking (at least I think so) for someone who is as good as he his computer-wise, handyman-wise and smart as he is (book smart). It might be a long time before she finds someone like him

Heather - so glad you had such a great time with the kids

katla - nothing is ever as good when it's store bought. So much better to have fresh. I will buy fresh blueberries and freeze them. I can't remember the last time I bought a bag of frozen blueberries. Of course, my freezer looks like it's about to explode right now that summer's winding down. So many blueberries, strawberries, grapes, corn on the cob, okra. How I wish they had golden beets this year! Of course, then I'd have the problem of "where do I put them"

pip - glad you're getting prepared for post-surgery. Can't wait until you get it done

Polly in VA - where in VA was that pic taken? It's gorgeous. I didn't think the pic was that large

Becca - you sure are good at making my mouth water! Good for you leving that store. What a great NSV

barbie - hoping for a safe trip for Jake

Cheryl - beautiful pics. Horses are so majestic looking. We were going to go out for ice cream last night, but much to my delight we didn't

terri richard - I've been on here for years and I STILL don't now everyone's name. Some you will, some you won't. No one gets upset, tho. What a lovely wedding card! Did you make it for a special occasion?

Gloria - the Y where I was at before had a bulletin board where you could say that you were looking for an exercise buddy. Maybe your Y has one, or that's something that maybe you could suggest?

It's Monday. Since Steve is still here, I did a Kerry Katona Real Fitness DVD at home (after part of the Abs DVD and holding my plank for 2 min 45 sec). The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD.

Michele in NC
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    I wanted to share this for all of us wanting to drink more water. If you google Infused Waters you will find numerous recipes for flavoring your water with fruits, vegetables and herbs. One of my fitness buddies has infused water in her food diary everyday. After drinking the water she eats the fruit.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that after doing the Body Pump DVD I'll go to WalMart since that's the last day that grapes are on sale at Aldi and Vince needs milk which is on sale at WalGreen.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peeps - 3 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH, I'M SO EXCITED I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love the horsey and the trail pics! also love the crafty wedding card, kinda looks 3d ish.

type to ya later
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I should have worn my tiara to my colonoscopy. It is now 45 minutes past my appointment time and no one has told me why I'm waiting or how much longer it will be. I hope they don't ask me to do a survey because I won't be able to be nice
  • pipcd34
    Options
    terri_mom - I would ask them if they did have a survey for you to take so I will state how you feel., they need to hear it
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    morning again~
    well it feels like my day is half over and I guess it is lol, getting up at 2:15 in the morning :o anyway... everything I made this morning is all packed away in the freezer and i took the dogs for a walk, and swept and washed the floors.. the only think I havent lately is any formal exercise.. Oh I dont know with everything going on.it is tough. I know its an excuse . and cant really explain it.. well when I went shopping yesterday I was good, didnt buy a bunch of junk and like Michelle, have a freezer chock full. which I am truly grateful for..
    well today it is fall weather slept with windows open and fan in the windows and woke up and it was 48 degrees out :/ needless to say ol Allie closed all the windows and doors once Tom left...
    going to work in an hour.. now Saterday I read in the paper that the troll's brother died.. he used to beat me up on the bus and the family hasnt talked to him in years.. he probably didnt know his father has cancer.. but he is being buried here in Ct at the cemetery, it will be interesting to see how things will go down with the family..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: You will be prepared for surgery and recovery. WTG! :flowerforyou:

Walker54: Lovely path through the woods! I'd love to walk there. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: I'm happy to hear that you are home. :heart:

Barbie: I hope Jake has a pleasant flight home. It must feel like he's been gone almost forever. :heart: On another topic: Your dance group certainly qualifies as exercise buddies and so do your dogs. My poor dog hasn't gotten his share of exercise in the last couple of days. I've been tired since we got home. He did get exercise when we were at DD's house. We did quite a bit of walking. I was beyond proud of myself for keeping up with DD on the day of the parade. DGD had a ballet class in a building that was right on the parade route and we waked from home and a fast clip to make it on time. It was about a mile. I managed to keep up and even pushed DGS's stroller part of the way. DD lives at an elevation that is about a mile high and I live at 50 feet above sea level. :flowerforyou:

Cheryl: Your ride through the woods looks wonderful. Color me green with envy. :bigsmile:

Liz: I write my comments on a word document that I have open on my laptop while I read the posts. Then I copy & paste it into MFP. It is easier than taking notes and writing comments afterward. :flowerforyou:

Irish Terri: It can be challenging to keep all the Terries straight and you've found a lovely solution. I am a Kathy and there are zillions of us, too. That is why I chose Katla for this group. It is a combination of my first and last names. :bigsmile:

Heather: My DH also loves the cargo pants. He has some that he bought with zip off leg bottoms so they can be long pants or shorts and he rarely wears anything else. :laugh:

Yoga today! I can hardly wait. It has been at least two weeks since I've had a class. I got plenty of exercise on our trip, but I need the yoga for strength and flexibility. I'm looking forward to my riding lesson Friday, too. As Dorothy said in the Wizard of OZ, "There's no place like home."

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Barbie we do our workout at 5:15 am. Not quite as early as your walks but most people think we're crazy. Lol
    Maryann in Michigan
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have only read up to page 38 but I am picking up on page 46 to start commenting and keep current from this point on. I hope to catch up to all that has been said in between but I figure if I don’t start somewhere I’ll never catch up so kindly forgive me if I appear to be making comments without knowing the entire background. It’s only because that is actually the case. ;)

Carol in NC -
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your support! I have my resume updated. I used a website to do it and they want a whopping $1.95 for me to be able to download it and play with it for a week. I think it's worth it for all of the tips and formatting. I'll check out their cover letter templates, too, to see if I've been doing it right. Hope to be able to start sending out electronic versions as early as tomorrow.

wessecg
    wessecg wrote: »
    Had to eat out for breakfast today and try to keep to my 20/20 diet. Ended up eating slightly more than usual (51 calories). However I was shocked to think of how much food I had normally eaten in the past. A 3 egg omelet with cheese, hash browns, toast, two slices of bacon and a glass of skim milk is around 1400 calories!! Wow.

No kidding! I too have been shocked whenever I add up my old style of eating. Doing that every now and then helps me “stay the course.” I know I don’t want to ever go back to my old way of eating.

Michele in NC
    exermom wrote: »
    Jess came down yesterday. I feel bad since she wasn't even here for 24 hours. I suspect part of the reason she came was because Steve was here. If he hadn't been here, she might not have bothered. Anyway, Steve was asking her about vet school (she applied to the school in the Caribbean) and her new bf. Seems she isn't real into him. You know, in a way I think Vince has her spoinled. She is looking (at least I think so) for someone who is as good as he his computer-wise, handyman-wise and smart as he is (book smart). It might be a long time before she finds someone like him

Hmmm. Good at computers – Check. A handyman – Check. Smart – Check. Respects me – Check. I got me one of those. Don’t worry about Jess. Those kinds of men are indeed out there. Yours and mine may be older models and already taken, but I have several friends who have raised sons with those qualifications.

Pip -
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    morning peeps - 3 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH, I'M SO EXCITED I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m feeling excited for you. Recovery won’t be the most fun you’ve had, but the end results of no more pain should be well worth it.

Mindy - Employee of the Week and it was only your second week. Awesome!! Congratulations!

Mia in MI

September goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon. It's a beautiful day,sunny 70's ,no rain & same predicted for the next 10 days.Wednesday is the 1st day if Fall. Time is flying!

Walker,beautiful path......

Carolnc....good luck in finding work.My closest neighbor is jack of all trades in her church office & planning to retire in a few mos.Says there is all kinds of infighting going on etc & she has simply had enough.After 14 yrs,she is glad to be done with it.

Heather,sweet pic of the family.

Katla,the holidays are super $$$ for hotels & transportation.Dec Savannah temps avg high of 61*_31*low.

Being on the water can make it feel windy/colder.When we traveled with our 5th wh,we tried Calif,Az,Las Vegas,Ala...all were colder than we liked.Fl is the only truly warm state in winter....JMO

Our next trip will be flying to a cruise ship. Caribbean Is are warm & sunny. B)

Have been busy this last wk with cleaning.Also more sorting. Tossed ice tea machine & intend to get rid of more once a year machines. Just a waste of space.Pantry is looking great,my closet is next.Poor clothes.....left to me I would wear them till they were rags. DH says "I know"....... :s

Sister is having 2 nd knee replacement today in Minn. No word yet.
    Good luck to Pip & JaneTr with upcoming surgery. Pat

Have a good day.I'm going to join DH On the deck......with a new magazine & iced tea. Pat
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Katla - DH ended up buying two pairs of cargo pants, a thin sweater and a colourful check shirt. Good job I printed him off the voucher! :laugh:

Carol - good luck with the job search! :flowerforyou: You certainly should be valued. It makes all the difference to our lives. So many of us just think we have to just put up with things, but successful people usually follow their hearts and look for something they really enjoy. We have much more choice than we realise. "Go with the flow". That's an old hippyish saying that makes a lot of sense. I truly hope you find something you enjoy.

Pip - don't burst with excitement before the op! :laugh: We want you in one piece.

The mushroom omelette I made this evening was delectable. DH was in heaven. Thank you DS #2 for bringing them all the way back from Paris. :bigsmile:

Lots of love to all. Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    Options
    just got Kirby's approval email for FMLA! so he will be able to stay home w/me for that week!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :)<3 Jake texted that he landed safely and is headed home.....if we lived near Gloria or Pip, he'd be home now....instead he has to drive another two hours or so...I'm eating my lunch without him but I have something I can fix for him when he gets here....after getting up so early this morning, I'd love to take a nap, but I'll wait for him and then the whole gang can nap together.