edited September 2015
    Options
    Stat for the day
    MS Bike ride day 1- 4hrs 15min 10sec, 14amph, 59.5mi = 2834cal
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pip - congratulations on getting through that first day! :drinker: You are one tuf cookie! :D

Trains all a mess tomorrow. We have to go backwards and change to go forward. :ohwell: If it all works it will be fine, but if it's late and we don't make the change over we might end up driving all the way. Sundays are always terrible days to travel as they do all the repairs etc. The trains in North London are also rubbish. :sad:

If it wasn't for the fact that DS#1 is going to be there I might feel like cancelling.

Mary - your pics look as if you are having fun! That bike is some workout!

Cheri - what a great piece of work you have created. Must have taken a lot of dedication. :flowerforyou:

Becca - that is an amazing loss for someone well into her diet! :flowerforyou:

Joyce - Glad Charlie had some fun with his friend! :) Did they ever work out exactly what the problem was?

Katla - so glad you got to see the grandchildren. <3

Love to all. Hope I can get to sleep tonight.

Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options

Tomorrow is the first Green Bay Packer game, and my kids are coming over to watch the season opener together. So...I need to go to the grocery store and pick up some munchies. In the past, I would have just thrown a bunch of junk food in my grocery cart and called it a day. But I'm really trying to get healthy and don't want to be tempted. How do you all balance something like that? Having munchies for everyone else but healthy stuff for yourself? I'm thinking maybe a vegetable tray with hummus, a fresh fruit bowl, cheese and sausage tray with crackers, and tortilla chips with salsa. It's not cocktail weenies, potato chips and dip, hot wings, etc, but I'm wondering if that would be okay.

Tracie in WI

:) Tracie, I've learned a lot about myself and my relationship with food since I started on MFP in 2009. I started by looking at my relationship with food as recreation. There's no reason that anyone has to eat while watching a game on TV or while in the company of others. It can be a personal choice and my choice is to eat my regularly scheduled and planned meals and if others are eating, I don't have to. I also learned that I am an "abstainer" while others are "moderators". For me, I am better to have none of something rather than trying to have a "taste" or a moderate portion.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Tracie: welcome!!! This is a great group o women, hope you chat often. Have been ti Green Bay, on our way to door county. Beautiful!!!! Chili is always good, protein, filling! Go packs!!!! Love them!!!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Pip ... So glad you're not experiencing pain! Ride on!

Beth
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    Cheri - I am also a crocheter. Is that a basketweave stitch - love it?! It looks like you have a very nice even gauge. One thing I love about crocheting is that unlike knitting you can get away with a dropped, added, screwed up stitch a lot of times :D

PIP - Forgot to mention I'm not sure which I am admiring more - your shiny Airstream, the beautiful wooden bike or the hubba hubba Man Candy in the picture with you! >:)

He is a cutie
  • pipcd34
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Big hugs to you Hearher as you go thruogh all this. So many emotions at the same time, some very positive and others have a probability of not so good. And then your tablet. Let yourself show all those emotions so you can get them all out. Then write a gratitude journal you are such a strong woman but even strong person has things hidden n their heart that can bring them down. Mt oldest daughter says she thanks God for every bad boyfriend she had becaus they all taught her something and helped lead her to her present husband, the love of her life.

I feel much better, slept about 10 hours. Though it was a bit restless. I have always started an antibiotic with a double dose since it is a 3 time a day prescription and I usually get the script in the afternoon. And I did take a Prednisone last night on my own. So good nights sleep, cough drops, 4 doses of antibiotics in my system all help me feel better.

Most of the things I saw husband do yesterday in therapy are some of the kind of 'games' you typically see in a children's museum, pedaling at a steady pace to make the 'light bulb' go on but not any other appliance, a machine that he had to maneuver this device around on this machine to keep this bubble like on a level tool right in the middle. Therapists was moving things that would make the bubble move and he had to react accordingly. So it was all fun things. One of his good Karaoke buddies, part of 'The over the hill gang' took in a portable Karaoke machine last night and they had fun singing. They had the door closed so no crowd standing in the hallway listening. I hope the activities director can work in a time that the 3 guys can have a concert for the residents.

Good luck Pip and Kirby. Can't wait to hear about the trip. Kip, my cough drop little wrappers have all these little sayings meant to keep you going when the going is tough. My favorite is 'Tough is your middle name'. I immediately thought of you.

Joyce, indiana

:0)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    vw8i80nwv7wu.jpg
    Yes, I am eating ALL of this
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ju08jd682slf.jpg
    p4fcz1a8vjs0.jpg
    t1vf11kazd8m.jpg
    7b23zbaaqntc.jpg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Having squash soup at St. Louis Bread Company (Panera in other parts of USA) in KIrkwood, MO. This is where Panera got its start. It started out as The St. Louis Bread Company.The squash soup they only have this seasonally so I enjoy it when I can.

My car and I bonded for ten hours today. Did make a stop at Swedesberg Iowa. I got my Carl Larson calendar for 2016. My DSIL took me to his house when I visited Sweden. We were the only ones on the tour and Pontus, a descendant of Carl Larson, gave us the tour. Beautiful day! The clouds were spectacular in Iowa. I guess I was in good company with all the politicians visiting today.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Katla, so sorry that DH and the high grounds don’t agree. We haven’t seen our DD in 1 ½ years since she moved all the way across the country. She had never lived more than 2 hours from us and I miss her terribly. Ya’ll be sure to enjoy the visit while you are there.

Karen NY, sorry you aren’t able to post more often. Do drop in when you can and take care.

Carol NC, woo hoo for sleeping in your bed. Things are looking up. smiley-sleep012.gifI do hope it was a good night’s sleep?

Miriam, I appreciate your explanation of the benefits situation. For those of us that have never been involved with it, we don’t often know how some of it works. I have a number of friends on Disability and assistance of one kind or another. Please realize that we don’t really think anyone is getting rich off the government but at the same time I’ll admit that if I saw my friend on assistance own a boat, or even golf cart when they don’t work, I would not be too happy about thinking that I was helping pay for it. DH and I worked for 40+ years each and we’ve never been able to afford anything like that. I have a friend whose daughter is on disability and keeps talking about taking a cruise to help her de-stress. I was 66 years old before I got to take my first cruise and I worked for it. When your friends and neighbors are the one’s working and paying for your benefits I hope it doesn’t seem too selfish for them to not want to think that those people can afford things that they themselves can’t afford. Just wanted to share another point of view. I do hate that those on most benefits have to live at poverty level. That certainly doesn’t seem right.

Heather, I know you will be on pins and needles until you hear about DDIL’s test and results. I do hope all have a good time at the party. (((((Hugs))))) I hope the trains cooperate for you tomorrow.

Sylvia, I hope the next message from you is that you got your printer fixed. Good luck.

Vicki, glad it worked out that you don’t have to do the training if you don’t like that. It was always one of my favorite things an any job I had. In hindsight, I should have been a corporate trainer, but too late now. Lol

Joyce, I love your DD’s gratitude about boyfriends. If we look, there is much to be grateful for, even unanswered prayers. It would be great if DH and his buds could put on a concert. 

MNMargaret, I just got a new bag of grapes and they are the absolute best I think I’ve ever had. I even froze a few to try and did like them so think I’ll freeze some more. Hope yours are as yummy.

Mparker, those are cool. Someone in our neighborhood used to ride one and I loved watching.

ScubaMare, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Just know that your activity level is a little out of my league, but I won’t hold that against you.  You will find that we have some other fitness guru’s in this group of lovely ladies. Please sign each post with the name you want us to call you and a location is nice too, general or specific. Come often and join right in.

Penny, woo hoo for hubby who saved the day. Yeppers, I’d back up too if I had all that on there. Lol We live and learn, don’t we?

Becca, I can’t wait to see how the day went for your son. Should be interesting.

Mary, who are you calling “dirt”? lol

Pip, Great day for the ride with no pain. Have a good one tomorrow, too. Love the pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. Hugs to you and Kirby.

Traci, the main thing when planning game day snacks is to fix something that you will enjoy and is very low calorie. If I were going to prepare something else for others, I’d make it something I can more easily resist. I have gotten to where I love oven baked cauliflower and broccoli. I’d probably do some of that for me along with whatever else. I can eat that while others are eating chips. No wings in the house for me….they are too hard to resist. Good luck

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I made a pot of Chili today. I normally like it best on the second or third day but this was quite good. ("If I do have to say so myself", as my mother used to say.) My shoulder has really been bothering me lately. I’ve been doing the exercises the doctor gave me but they don’t seem to help. The Ben Gay that I got does seem to help somewhat at night so I’ll continue with that. Congrats on all the victories and hugs and best wishes on the challenges.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    12,000 steps
    128 minutes of dog walking

This was a peaceful day with Jake off for a few hours...it would have been a perfect day to lift weights or ride the exercise bike and watch TV but I am being very careful to baby my hip until it is completely well and do only the most important exercise.

Katla, last year we went to Utah and Jake got really scared because he seemed to be having more trouble than usual breathing (he has congestive heart failure) then we realized that we were over 4000 feet high and that the elevation was the culprit.....he took it easy and stopped worrying....but we'll think twice about going somewhere in the mountains again.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    DJ- one small clarification. When I get SSDI, I am receiving the benefits I paid into the system to get. Others are NOT paying for SSDI. SSI is another story. It is for people who had a disability as children so have never been able to work.

MNMargaret. I love the tiny museum in Swedeville! Did you get to see it?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    DJ- that's my son-in-law! LOL

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Miriam it is one of my favorite stops along the way. We have toured it at least twice, so I just took a quick tour and bought my Carl Larson calendar. I also like to stop in at Bernie's salvage also in Swedesberg. I found a hat that fits me. Usually hats are too small. Yes I have a big head. LOL I had a nice chat with the woman who works there. She told me if they find a service metal, money, or valuable jewelry they return it to the people they bought the salvage from. It made my day to hear someone doing the right thing. She said it does bother her when she knows she is selling to a hoarder. I told her it is the hoarder that has to learn to stop. There place is providing a service that helps keep things out of the landfills.

I did think about trying to meet. Unfortunately I don't know what time I'll will be going through Iowa City. When I stop I do not stop for long because I drove this alone and want to stop frequently. I find it better to drive it in one day rather than try to stop along the way. It is a nine to nine and a half hour drive. My breaks add another hour to hour and a half.

The pool at the Best Western where I am staying is still open. I plan to enjoy it tomorrow. It is actually a bit cool here just like it was in Minnesota. The weather will get warmer the rest of the week.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Nite peeps, another ride tomorrow
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tracie, don't worry about your 'long post'. When. Am up to par, I swear my out takes a whole page. I usually just post once a day and there is a lot to say!

Way to go Pip, I already feel stronger just knowing that you rode all those miles just for MS research!!!!!

DJ, I hope I don't upset you, make you mad or anything. There are some people that are on disability that can not work at all but can still enjoy life. I worked almost 30 years and my disability pay is only 40% of my income that I was making back in 1999. Yes, we occasionally get a cost of living raise but not always and they are usually very small like then than 1%. Charlie's sisters aim in life was to get her, her current husband and both of her children on SSI. I was so upset the day she called me in total rejoicing that she had gotten her 12 year old daughter on SSI due to social anxiety. I know a lot of obese pretends that have social anxiety. Now many years later, they all live off of al of us. My sister is on SSD also but her husband has a very nice job, I think he will retire the day after he dies. They go on nice cruises, etc. she has so many illnesses, there is no way she could work. But they take cruises meant for the old folks who want an extremely low key adventure. So please don't get upset at me when I go t Disney World with my family. Love you!

heather, no they still have not found out what caused Charlie's meningitis. Of course there are many illness that they have never found a causative factor just like MS has none. You just treat symptoms and give it a name. On his spinal tap they could see results of whatever was causing the damage, just did not find what it was. But he infectious disease doctor said he asked for enough labs to be run on it that there still might be something frown out of the cultures. He is following still in rehab just in case he does get something positive. Charlie is in good spirits, not always following the rules. But who wants a female aide or occupational therapist watching you take a shower just to make sure you do it right and maintain proper balance sitting on a shower chair. So he gets up, showers and dresses himself and goes on with his day. I know I could stay with him longer than I do but today is the first day I actually felt alive myself. Then the decongestant kicked in. And I just told him I was going to have to leave when I felt like I could actually drive. Wow, Claritin D whops a punch! I will not take one before church tomorrow and if feeling ok will not take anymore at all.

Michelle is feeling a little better today. She has a key to our house. I knew where Charlie was, I was talking on the phone, I knew Michelle said she felt like her spine was being ripped out of her spine but while I was talking, I hear a key in my door. I told my sister to not hang up just in case some one bad had some how gotten a key. But Michelle had somehow gotten up just to check on me. We will hopefully take Charlie out to dinner tomorrow night. I think he is realizing that he might not get to his goal of discharge Friday. Just walking down his short hall still wears him out and his legs feel like they are 10 pounds a piec. He says it is because he isn't used to wearing shoes!!!!! So the Kimmels are on the move and getting better!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!

Joyce's Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Katia - I'm not sure if your DH has some sort of physical ailments going on already that is making him feel the altitude or not. I do know that when I lived there and my parents came to visit, sometimes they felt the altitude and other trips they didn't. It was the same for me when I visited there throughout college. Some people compare the feeling like they have a hangover..........A lot of times it is due to hydration....I used to hand my parents a tall glass of water when they came and would continue to push the fluids throughout their stay.....I don't really know if there is some scientific thing to this, but it did seem to allievate some of the symptoms. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your stay ...Longmont is beautiful , well the whole area is in my book !

Sue lived in Golden CO for 15 years .../ MN

We drink as much water as we can and it does help minimize headaches. I am getting along pretty well, but DH has complicated health issues and this is a real challenge for him. Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions. :flowerforyou: