WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

If I had my life to live again I'd move north....the trip I most remember in my life was to Fairbanks and Barrow Alaska.....you have opened my eyes to the far north somewhere other than North America. Many people where I live go south to Arizona for the winter.....I can't imagine leaving the north....and our north isn't nearly as far north as you.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    d0a50ymn3hdi.jpg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Pip, does your husband say, "I have a woody"
    hahahahaha

No but he will now!!!!!
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Speaking of wills, Mary would you please please PLEASE bequeath that Eliptigo to me? I have wanted one since they first hit the market but it will never fit into my budget unless I win the lottery which would mean that I actually would have to purchase a ticket ;) When the lottery first started here in WA you could buy a ticket at the check stand as your groceries got rung up. Since they moved the purchase of tickets to the information booth or a machine for scratch tickets for me to get one would mean standing in another line or putting money into a machine so I VERY rarely buy a ticket.

Miriam - Do you have Third Party Custody of the kids now? If so won't you lose any assistance you may be getting for them when you adopt? I would like to adopt the boys so that they would get my SS if I were to die before they are 18 but its difficult enough financially with the assistance I do get for them. Losing that would mean I would have to get rid of my car/insurance and I live 2 miles from the closest bus stop and market.

Someone was talking about needing Premium to get rid of the ads but I recently found out about adblocker and am having such a better almost ad free experience since enabling it. It's a free extension for your internet browser. If you are running Chrome and have a puzzle piece up by the top of your screen, click on it and you will find a lot of extensions you COULD add so look for adblocker and enable it. It's that simple. No more banners, no more pop ups. Since I enabled adblocker I have around 95% fewer ads

PIP You and your husband's ride for MS is very close to my heart. My youngest brother suffered from MS. After back surgeries that did not fix the problem he was finally diagnosed with MS. He came to live with me a couple of years ago after spending 20 years in prison. It was difficult to watch him suffer with the symptoms. He ended up dying of cardiac arrest and had already made his wishes known to NOT resuscitate again. He wasn't in a wheelchair but fell often, dropped things, and many times had slurred speech. He was only 64 when he died and was just plain tired of fighting all the battles.

I also have a very dear friend with MS. She was the head of the division I worked in at the AG's office. A brilliant legal mind and wonderful mentor. But as MS robbed her of the ability to function at her high level of capability she was forced to make the decision to leave her job. When she was no longer able to take care of her home on her own she sold it and moved into assisted living. She is still young - I think 50ish. Such a sad waste of an courageously giving woman who felt it was her duty in life to empower other women.

Out for now,

smiley-zodiac001.gif Gloria in SW WA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hubby and I drove over to Carthage Missouri for an art reception tonight. One of my good pottery friends has a show going on, and his new work is just beautiful. Afterward we went to a Chinese place for dinner. Hubby had the buffet but I ordered off the menu. I have not had Chinese food in three years, so this was a huge splurge. It was a pretty small portion and I didn't finish it, but I can still taste the salt in my mouth. I won't do that for another three years.

Pip, your shiny airstream is beautiful! Also, the wooden bike and your beautiful orange fingernails! It was a really good picture of you and Kirby, too. Your smile was so big I had to remind myself that you have a broken shoulder.

rjdhkoao6yfb.jpg
    This is something I found on Facebook.

Good night everyone!

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Joyce, what a bummer. ill.gif The last thing you need is to get sick. Please take care of yourself!!!

Traci, WI, thanks for the info. And no, it’s never too much with us. I’m a Packers fan but don’t envy you those Green Bay winters. I think the coldest I’ve ever been was at a game in Green Bay back in 1977. Congrats on making it through all the cancer treatments and best of luck with your journey.

Mary, great pictures. Love the bike but it’s not for me, for sure.

Pip, ride like the wind.

Linda, Rori and all, thanks for the 9/11 stories. I certainly don’t think any of us will forget. I hope the younger generation doesn’t.

Cheri, purdy work. I’m impressed. knit.gif

Becca, cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif for you.

Pat, I love the poster. Thanks.

Sylvia, I love the picture of the lab. I wonder how many people on here remember the song, “I Shot the Sheriff”? lol

I didn’t respond to many because there were so many posts for me to read, but my thoughts and best wishes are with you all. I hope you will all feel better tomorrow than you did today and things will be brighter. I had one of those sleepless nights last night, so hope for a great sleep tonight. I got some Ben Gay I'm going to try on my shoulder tonight to see if that helps the pain any. It keeps me awake as much as anything. Wish me luck.smiley-sleep012.gif

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Cheri - I am also a crocheter. Is that a basketweave stitch - love it?! It looks like you have a very nice even gauge. One thing I love about crocheting is that unlike knitting you can get away with a dropped, added, screwed up stitch a lot of times :D

PIP - Forgot to mention I'm not sure which I am admiring more - your shiny Airstream, the beautiful wooden bike or the hubba hubba Man Candy in the picture with you! >:)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele asked that this be posted to the group: "Vince and I aren't going to go to bowling Monday. He throws a very hard ball and by Monday the medication should be totally out of his system. He's afraid that by exerting so much he'll bring on an attack and this time it'll be much worse since he isn't taking the medication. I'm staying home "just in case". Denise and Pete got here around 3:30 last night, but I suspect that they didn't get to bed until probably around 6. They're still sleeping. We do want to take them out to dinner one night and grill the other night they are here. Vince would rather we go out to dinner tonight because he's afraid if he has an attack it'll be much worse. Oh, would someone please post this in the forum so people know what's going on but there are some people who don't see the homepage."

Wishing you and Vince good luck, Michele! :heart:

Katla from Beautiful NW Oregon, currently visiting Colorado
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Gloria - I will let you know if it's worth it after I am able to ride it. I can't believe that my DH just hops on and is able to ride! I feel like a little kid that needs training wheels!!! I'll put you in the will! Although planning on being here for another 30 years!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I was married at twenty, also. DH was almost twenty-three. We've had our challenges, but have managed to hold on to one another. I am happy for your good relationship with DH#1. It speaks well of both of you and I suspect it makes things much better for your children. :flowerforyou: :heart:

Pip: Your Airstream and neighborhood are lovely. Have a good ride, listen to your body and do what it takes to take care of yourself. :flowerforyou: I love the pics of your airstream and bikes set up and ready to be your home away from home during the bike event. :bigsmile:

Linda and Rori: Your 911 memories are stirring. My mom's birthday was September 11, 1914, and she did not live to witness the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Towers and the Pentagon. I've been grateful for that because she would have taken the attacks occurring on her birthday personally. She was very tender hearted. :broken_heart:

Becca: Congratulations on losing 3.5 pounds! WTG! :flowerforyou:

DH is not enjoying the elevation here in CO; in fact he is quite miserable. I doubt he will come here again willingly. He has enough health challenges without adding altitude to the mix, but it makes me sad anyway. DD has always been "Daddy's Girl." I will come to visit DD with or without him and I hope she will find ways to come and see us, too, so she can see her dad. Did I mention that our home is 50 feet above sea level? Longmont is 4,979 feet above sea level. When I told him that, he said he should be doing better. Maybe he'll work on it. I can hope.

Katla temporarily in Boulder County, CO at 4,979 feet above sea level!

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    morning my friends~
    got a good nights sleep last night much needed, and will try to get back on track today with eating.. and get my butt moving again...
    So excited to hear about Pip and Kirby's race.. we want details when your done.. yes I would love to have a bike like Mary's but down in Florida to many hills here ....
    off to work in an hour..
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    B) Marking my place! Good night!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Karen here, i am not able to post often but am reading all the love and support and quotes and humor every day--you all are so great!

Insomnia, check. Distant husband, check. Emotional eating, check. Creaky joints, check.

Humor, strength, empathy, perseverance, resourcefulness CHECK! And that is what this group of powerful women is ALL ABOUT!

Feeling grateful to walk amongst you all. Karen from ny
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning! I slept in my bed all night!!!! The first time since surgery in June!

Just sharing my small victory...

Carol in NC
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Katia - I'm not sure if your DH has some sort of physical ailments going on already that is making him feel the altitude or not. I do know that when I lived there and my parents came to visit, sometimes they felt the altitude and other trips they didn't. It was the same for me when I visited there throughout college. Some people compare the feeling like they have a hangover..........A lot of times it is due to hydration....I used to hand my parents a tall glass of water when they came and would continue to push the fluids throughout their stay.....I don't really know if there is some scientific thing to this, but it did seem to allievate some of the symptoms. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your stay ...Longmont is beautiful , well the whole area is in my book !

Sue lived in Golden CO for 15 years .../ MN
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Gloria, I get some assistance from the state, not much ($300/month), but have been told that the adoption will not affect it. Also, there is a federal ta>< credit that I can get once I adopt. I will have to file ta><es to get it, but I do have a small amount on income in addition to my SSDI so I can. Here in Iowa, if you are considered disabled by the feds (ssi or ssdi) you can get Medicaid in addition to the Medicare that comes with ssdi IF you work. It is an attempt to overcome the barriers to returning to the work force for people with disabilities. Fear of losing health insurance is one of the barriers. The work does not have to be much- some people walk the highways and pick up discarded aluminum cans. I am the Representative Payee (pay his bills for him from his SSDI check) for my friend with two severe brain injuries, as well as an assistant with medical/ dental appointments, etc. and he pays me $50 a month to do so. I will also now be earning a like amount as the janitor for this apartment building (6 units). Of course, every dollar you earn is a dollar less in food stamps. And if you are on SSI, for every two dollars you earn it is a dollar less on SSI, AND a dollar less on food stamps AND can push you out of assisted housing AND can threaten your health insurance in most states, so you can see where there is no incentive for people to try to work even though SSI payments per month are around $750- not really enough to live on. SSI is for people who are disabled and have NO work history (so disabled from childhood). SSI also limits assets, so no one can give you a car for transportation, or gifts, etc. SSDI is based on your income before you became disabled, and how much you paid in to the system. I became disabled at age 51. I get all of $1439 a month to live on, and when I turn 65 I will no longer be eligible for the Medicaid assistance so I will have to pay 20% of health care costs and prescription costs then. My property ta>< on my house is more than a month's income. SSDI does not limit assets, but you cannot get food stamps if you own more than a car and a house- so no recreational vehicles, boats, or anything else you could theoretically sell to buy food. People often think folks are sitting around getting rich off disability help, but that is definitely not the case. I worked in spite of severe, suicidal depression from the age of 16 until I just could not function any more. The chronic pain from arthritis just made everything even harder. I would force myself to get up and in to work, put in a good day's work, then come home and just collapse, unable to do anything else. It was such a relief when I was approved for disability, and realized that I no longer had to force myself to function day after day, that it is worth it to live at poverty level. But it isn't fun by any means- no savings, no retirement, no financial security. And the worry that the Republicans will take the little bit I do get away! AND my adult son's $750 a month away. That is already in jeopardy. I don't know how he will live with less. Anyway, a long answer to your question.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Good morning! I slept in my bed all night!!!! The first time since surgery in June!

Just sharing my small victory...

Carol in NC

smiley-happy110.gif cheering for each small victory will make your recovery so much sweeter...gratitude for what you have rather than lamenting for what you don't have :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    On ex husband stories I have a funny one. I'm still friends with both of them on Facebook and they are both friends with all my family and EACH OTHER on Facebook. Too funny.

Sylvia - thot of you when we drove thru Joplin.

PIP loved the pics, have fun.

Becca Way to go

Carol in NC - Hooray for sleeping in bed all night

We took dear Mama S out to dinner last night. She ate like a trooper. She's 83 and fighting dementia for 3 years now. New meds have worked wonders. I'm so thankful. Cool and very Fallish here in SE MO, loving it.

Janetr OKC Bloomfield MO
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Pip: As you're heading to the starting line, I'm hopping on my recumbent to pedal alongside you in spirit (and sweat). Wishing you and Kirby a safe and fun journey.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options