WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies ! Wow what a chatty group....I love it, but goodness it's hard to keep up sometimes ! MARY -MARGARET- GAYLE -TRACIE , I feel another MFP meet up coming on !! :)

PIP & Hubby , what great picture of you two....have a great time supporting a cause you hold dear. Next summer you will be hearing a lot more of my riding stories as I love to ride!

To all the fine ladies who are struggling with their relationships and feeling alone. My heart goes out to you all. You have found a safe place here with this group, which I think is incredibly amazing .

Sue. MN. fn04f5dhi1lc.jpg

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Posting this for Michele---
    exermom
    Vince and I aren't going to go to bowling Monday. He throws a very hard ball and by Monday the medication should be totally out of his system. He's afraid that by exerting so much he'll bring on an attack and this time it'll be much worse since he isn't taking the medication. I'm staying home "just in case". Denise and Pete got here around 3:30 last night, but I suspect that they didn't get to bed until probably around 6. They're still sleeping. We do want to take them out to dinner one night and grill the other night they are here. Vince would rather we go out to dinner tonight because he's afraid if he has an attack it'll be much worse. Oh, would someone please post this in the forum so people know what's going on but there are some people who don't see the homepage.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Tracie ... Welcome and thanks for sharing about yourself! Not too much at all!

Pip ... Safe travels and enjoy your ride!

Joyce ... Of course you got sick ... Hospitals are incubators and you've been under terrific stress ... Perfect recipe. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm so discouraged today :(. Younger son, who had been doing quite well didn't make it to school today with a migraine. Lilian ... Interesting about the sugar related headaches because I know he over ate frosted brownies before bed ... Hoping this doesn't derail him again.

Will not eat my stress. Will not eat my stress. Will not eat my stress ... I sound like Cheri! Hope I do as well!

Beth in WNY
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new peeps.
    On the road, weather is awesome!
    To the peep from Green Bay, you didn't share too much, we all do that.

I bought 2 more songs for the ride! I listen to very modern up to date stuff, one by Vance joy another by Robert de long.

Type to u later
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Michele - sending lots of love :flowerforyou: It will be worth it. <3

Tracie - pleased to meet you! I have had breast cancer too. It's 8 years ago now, but everyday I worry it's going to come back. So far so good. :D I am determined to make the most of every minute I have. Currently I am writing my memoir and doing as much travelling as I can afford/get DH to do. :laugh: Life is not a rehearsal and we only have one. You know that - it is a gift we have to make the most of, not an endurance test. :flowerforyou:

Joyce - hope you feel better soon. Hate sinus pains. :'(

Ohh, wouldn't it be lovely if you could just swoop in, wave a magic wand and make everyone's life happy. :noway:
    My thoughts are with you all. <3

Neither of our neighbours were in when I went round to get someone to witness my legal papers. It will have to be tomorrow so I will miss the post. :sad:

Heather UK

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Sue
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Sue: where in Minnesota?? Gayle Minneapolis
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    DJ /Heidi – I was touched by your talk of your wonderful husbands. DJ – I admire you and your husband for being able to maintain such a great relationship for 47 years. Heidi – I admire you for the strength to end what was not a good relationship on friendly terms and for the courage to give it another try and succeed in finding such a great guy.

Joyce – I think we all underestimate the amount of time and commitment it takes to be a minister. We just expect our ministers to be there when we need them. My church does give our ministers a periodic sabbatical – I think it’s 2-3 months every few years. I’m so glad to hear that Charlie is doing better. Stay strong! Sorry you are not feeling well.

Pip – Have a great ride this weekend!

Mindy – Your dog party sounds fun. We have a black lab and a friend with another black lab and they have “sleepovers”. Just like any kid, our lab is usually so tired the next day that all he does is sleep.

Tammy (@ts054) – Welcome. I love the fact that you’ve gone back to college for culinary arts. That is awesome! Hope you can share some fabulous new healthy recipes with us over time.

Penny – Thanks for reposting the link. Even in the rain, it is like a scene from a movie. Very pretty!

Terri – Jealous! I love Three Dog Knight.

Cheri – Congratulations on not eating your emotions last night!

Tracie – Thanks for sharing a little about yourself! So sorry to hear about your struggle with breast cancer.

On the 14th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in the U.S., thought I would share my 9/11 story. Back in 2011, I worked for a company called Marsh McLellan. Their corporate headquarters were on the 95th floor of World Trade I and the division I worked for had an office on the 49th floor of World Trade II. In terms of number of employees lost that day, March McLellan was 3rd (after Cantor Fitzgerald and the City of New York). Our losses were primarily those working in World Trade I. All of our employees working in World Trade II evacuated safely. One of my co-workers from here in Des Moines had a business meeting in World Trade I that day. When the planes first hit, he returned to the Marriott which was located between the two towers. The Marriott employees told everyone to stay there to remain safe. When the towers fell, they fell onto the Marriott and my co-worker was killed. He was a friend that I had worked with for about 10 years. I myself was on a business trip to visit IBM in White Plains, NY that day. As we were walking into IBM’s corporate headquarters, another co-worker’s wife called to tell us that the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. Needless to say, our meeting did not happen. As we watched the events unfold on TV and worried about our co-workers, what struck me was that absolutely everyone around us knew someone working in those buildings. Whether it was a friend, a loved one, or a current or former co-worker, everyone was worrying not just about some strangers in a far off city but about someone they knew personally. What struck me later was how the entire country came together that day and in the days following to support NYC. That day will live with me forever. :'(<3

Linda/IA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Linda - What a touching story! Every lost person is a huge loss to the world. <3 I did visit Ground Zero when we were in NYC. I got told off for leaning on the inscriptions, but I was just trying to touch them. :ohwell:
    My biggest memory of the 7/7 bombings in London was going up to the main road near where I lived and looking down the main Camden Road that leads to central London. Up that road was a SEA of people, all walking determinedly home, however long it took. At that point you have to LOVE the city you live in and the wonderful people. <3

Love you, Heather UK
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Heather, could you take the papers to your bank and have someone there witness ?

Sue
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Sue: where in Minnesota?? Gayle Minneapolis
    Bemidji area
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Linda - WOW ! Your story gave me chills! Thank you for sharing !
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    [/quote]On the 14th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in the U.S., thought I would share my 9/11 story. Back in 2011, I worked for a company called Marsh McLellan. Their corporate headquarters were on the 95th floor of World Trade I and the division I worked for had an office on the 49th floor of World Trade II. In terms of number of employees lost that day, March McLellan was 3rd (after Cantor Fitzgerald and the City of New York). Our losses were primarily those working in World Trade I. All of our employees working in World Trade II evacuated safely. One of my co-workers from here in Des Moines had a business meeting in World Trade I that day. When the planes first hit, he returned to the Marriott which was located between the two towers. The Marriott employees told everyone to stay there to remain safe. When the towers fell, they fell onto the Marriott and my co-worker was killed. He was a friend that I had worked with for about 10 years. I myself was on a business trip to visit IBM in White Plains, NY that day. As we were walking into IBM’s corporate headquarters, another co-worker’s wife called to tell us that the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. Needless to say, our meeting did not happen. As we watched the events unfold on TV and worried about our co-workers, what struck me was that absolutely everyone around us knew someone working in those buildings. Whether it was a friend, a loved one, or a current or former co-worker, everyone was worrying not just about some strangers in a far off city but about someone they knew personally. What struck me later was how the entire country came together that day and in the days following to support NYC. That day will live with me forever. :'(<3

Linda/IA
    [/quote]

Linda: So sorry to hear of the loss of your corporate colleagues. My 9/11 memory is quite visceral. I was about 50 blocks north of the WTC, in our corporate headquarters at 5th and 37th. Watched everything unfold live from the 16th floor, and will always remember the sound of a room full of women screaming as the second plane hit. Walking outside we felt the soot and ash hit us and smelled air full of smoke, acid and lord knows what. Then, when the city went into lockdown, the challenge became how to get out of New York and back home to worried loved ones. It took us 3 days to locate a rental van, and another 2 days to drive to Atlanta, where as we pulled into the city limits, the planes were starting to take off again. Travel hasn't been the same since. Safety is a myth in my mind. All we can do is watch out for each other.

Exactly a week ago I toured the 9/11 Museum. Linda, I recommend it for you as you will see mention of Marsh McLellan. The are many artifacts that were found on the site, and many recorded voices of people who escaped the buildings before the collapse. So, so stirring.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    9/11/15

Skip one day and over 100 posts!

Vicki – Stress eating is my downfall too!

Mia in MI, thanks for the Rugby info. Sounds like a rough game!

Kim from N. California – So sorry about Levi. Maybe you could get one of those dog carriers that look like a baby carrier to take him on walks with you?

Great picture Margaret, Mary and Gayle!

Miriam – love the choir picture!

Carol in NC – please continue to take care of yourself first!

Katla temporarily in Boulder County, CO ---- Thanks for the well wishes. I hope my doc provides some good advice about the sleeping at my appointment next week.

Sassy – Thank for the poem. It really applies to all of us!

Gloria/WA --I don’t always have time to comment on everyone, but I try… :D

Lisa in West Texas ==== good luck with the new employee!

Love the pool picture! I miss my pool. ….

Rosie --- your DH sounds familiar…. Maybe all men are that way??

Speaking of wills.. I brought that up with my DH and he just shrugged it off not wanting to even talk about it. Have to persist. It is important. I want a DNR at the very least!

Pretty puppy Barbiecat!

Cheri --- I knit or crochet too to help curb the munchies from stress. Stress eating is my bane.
    Pip—Have fun! The camper has me wishfully thoughtful and remembering…. Loved the selfies!

Sue. MN, the Love poster is great!

Linda- I agree with pwrfl1- the story gave me chills!

Finally caught up. Had an awfully busy week. Tired and must finish up. I sent a text asking my DS for pics of his sons and new car. No answer yet. Here’s hoping. Don’t feel much like typing anything else. I think I said enough for now! Have a great weekend everyone in case I don’t get back on the forum this weekend.

Rita from CT.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Just had some spaghetti, ahhhhhhhhh
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible that when people ask me what I was doing when the planes hit. I was sound asleep because I sleep late in the morning/afternoon. But after I woke up, it was me and a box of kleenexes for several days. I have all he newspapers for a month afterwards.

Antibiotics are now in my system and hopefully will be better in a couple of days. I do have some Prednisone in the house I am tempted to take but I know what my neurologist feels about prednisone being taken for anything else but an MS relapse. I just wish my cat wasn't so needy.

Joyce, indiana
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    It's been a frustrating week for my hubby. He ended traveling back to see his mother who lives a couple of hours away from. She is a Sprite !!! 87 years, 90 pounds lives alone, have had some strokes that has caused some memory language issues but she still knows how to cuss us out... That's the stubborn Bohunk in her.....anyways - her home health aide took the weekend off, so hubby's brother was supposed to fill in. Apparently he didn't do what he was supposed to do. Even her home health aide didn't show for Monday shift as promised. So on Tuesday , this aide found her totally out of sorts and not wanting anything to do with the aide or anyone else but my hubby......Not a good deal. It's been a tough week for all of us emotionally . Should she be in a home ? Yes probably .... Does my hubby want to make that decision ? .... No.....her doctor says she is in her comfort zone at home and as long as we have care stopping in daily for meds and to make sure she eats the meals that are delivered should be good situation.. That conversation was a year ago and I see her less and less remembering. It's a tough one ladies . So my mantra has not only been, I will not eat my emotions, but stay out of the middle .!

Sue living the sand which generation daily MN
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Rita from CT – My DH kept telling me we had plenty of time to decide on wills/living trusts/POA etc. He didn’t want to have to think about it and take the time/money to get whatever set up. Then we had a friend die unexpectedly. No will. His estate was divided according to Michigan law for intestate succession. From conversations with him we know what people in his family got was not at all what he would have wished. Further, it all had to go through probate which took ages to get cleared up. In MI if you have a Living Trust it doesn’t go through probate which makes thing quicker, easier and cheaper.

Look up intestate succession for your state and simply let DH know how your estate will be divided if there is no will. If you are both fine with that then no need to rush things as far as a will is concerned. Personally, I would still worry about the POA and Medical POA. I trust DH to take care of things if I am incapacitated. My biggie is making sure if both of us are incapacitated having a secondary decision maker that I trust.

Mia in MI

September goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

• pipcd34
    Options