WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Heather, what a cool BD gift! That one will be a win-win for you both. Do have fun with the grands and I’m sure DS and his wife appreciate it.

Allison, don’t you know that you are our locally scheduled program!?  I hope he doesn’t open his mouth when he gets home but if he does, you have my permission to let him have it with both barrels. You know how bad they (Our DHs) are at waiting for service people but when we are the ones to have to wait and put up with the problems, it’s all a piece of cake. You are too nice. I’ll admit, if it had been me, I’d have taken the urine sample to the vet and let Tom get his own dinner.

Joyce, hang in there and one of these days it will get better and easier. Cook what you must but don’t think you have to eat any of it. Big (((((HUGS)))))

Gloria, good point about the listening. I think many of us are so ready to help fix a problem that we forget that part.

PaT, I love your sign and oh how true!!!

Linda, a 15 yr old girl that hugs????? Where did you find her? That is wonderful. I’d enjoy that too.

CarolNC, well isn’t that a fine How Do You Do? I’d look into a different job too. Did you ask them to see the list of all the things you’ve done right? So sorry!!! ((((Hugs))))

Becca, it sounds like a good program on being dis-organized. I like that! Not so good on your eating when you got home.  Do you not get to take a break from 10 to 2:00? That’s not good. But great that you volunteer.

Mary, purdy picture. Enjoy your walks while the weather is pretty. It will start getting cold up there in a few months.

Joyce, just so glad for you and Charlie that he has improved so much in the last 3 weeks and is able to go home. I know you had your doubts and fears at first. Be patient and remember to be good to yourself! (((Hugs)))

Polly, you are starting out the exact right way! That is with baby steps and goals you can easily reach. Good for you.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I took my friend shopping today. She is the one with the hip problem that the doctor scared to death telling her she could have bone cancer. Now he says she doesn’t but needs surgery after she gets a second opinion from a school friend of his down in Charleston. (sounds a little fishy to us since he “must” see her and not just the X Ray and MRI results. He can’t see her hip through her skin.) Anyway, she got around fine with the use of a cane and was just glad to get out of the house. She is about to go stir crazy and on the verge of depression from being cooped up, in pain and just waiting for so long. She sees the 2nd opinion doc on Monday and her doc on Tuesday. She hopes by then he will finally be ready to schedule surgery.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks for not being offended by my two cents worth, Beth. And, thanks for the support on the job situation. The two churches I work for are like night and day.

Janet - Thanks for your comment about my son's lack of gratitude. It did hurt because I was doing everything I could to help him and worrying myself sick over it.

Polly - Thanks for your support. I'm already working on my resume and doing job searches.

After my stressful day, I did a training session at my own church and walked in the door at 9:15 pm. Thirteen-plus hour days are not my idea of fun and I am dead tired.

Joyce- I hope you can get the help you need with Charlie. I would certainly investigate all of the options available to protect the health of both of you.

Michele - I'm glad Vince is doing better. I'm surprised they started him with straight heparin and Coumadin. Most doctors nowadays start folks with Lovenox injections to ease the body into the thinning of the blood.

I'm thinking of each of you as I read but falling asleep before I can respond to more.

Carol in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    NCCarol - yes, keep silent. I'm so sorry this has happened to you

I need to take Vince to get his blood tested tomorrow and then we'll go to see about a new microwave.

Becca - all the best for your son

Mary - you are so lucky to be walking on that trail. Thanks for posting the pics

Joyce - your big heart never ceases to amaze me.

Vince is still a bit sore from the incisions. He doesn't know if he'll go bowling Monday or not, but that's a few days away so we shall see what happens. But on the whole, he's getting better all the time. He's amazed at how much his medication has been decreased!

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    does anyone have experience wearing a sling? i am lucky that it will be my left shoulder. i have figured the following:
    1- i need to buy a few button up shirts (bigger)
    2- need to buy a sports bra that zips in front
    3- need to buy a couple of cheap boulder holders (aka bra) that snaps in front
    4- ask for 2 slings, one to workout/sweat in and the other to go to work in
    anything else?
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Kim from N. California - Here is my pear recipe. It comes from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. And DH says it tastes like apple pie.

Makes 9 inch pie.

1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp mace, if desired
    4 cups sliced pared fresh pears
    (about 7 pears)
    1 tbs lemon juice
    2 tbs butter or margarine

Heat oven to 425 degrees
    Stir together sugar, mace and flour; mix with pears.
    Turn into pastry lined pie pan; sprinkle with lemon juice and dot with butter.
    Cover with top crust, seal and flute edges, slits in top.
    Cover edge with 2 - 3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excess browning; remove foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip, when dressing, put the injured arm in first. I found zippers on pants were hard with just one hand but putting a string through the hole in the tab gave me something to grab for without having to turn back the edge. Belts are hard too- maybe just skip them for a while.

DJ, most likely the doc has to have hands on rather than just looking at the films so he can get paid.

Having problems with my asthma the last few days. when I use my inhaler, I cannot get to sleep. And I have court tomorrow for the termination of parental rights. Argh.

Good news for my son. Just by keeping up with my activity level this last 6 weeks, he has lost over 20 pounds. He was somewhere above 320 when he left Boulder and is now sitting at 300. He is a BIG tall guy with broad shoulders, big bones and muscles, so his goal is 250. The high school football coach approached him when he was in junior high, "You are going to play on my team, right?!" He was very disappointed that my son had zero interest in playing football. Anyway, that loss is totally from increased activity. He has not changed his diet at all- but is eating a good dinner with the girls every night.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pip - Rocky was gorgeous, I'd love to have animals come visit. Have never seen any at this hospital.

Vicki - Thanks, They had little steps that made it easy to get into the chair. :)

Janetr OKC

• lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Liz Miller, I have been a regular on here but went off course. Now working my way back.

1. To log every bite or drink
    2. Walk or clean house get out on tapes to do.some extra moving
    3. Drink my water
    4. Because of budget half to.eat what is on the pantry shelf first but to measure, everything to get right normal serving on my plate. Not double. :)
    5. To keep going and not quit. That are my goals
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Oh Mary, there were sumacs in your picture... with red leaves... I think I've mentioned how much I miss them. smiley-sad010.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,757 Member
    Options
    morning my friends~
    well the old goat isn't speaking to me,which is fine, I told him he was rude and I had literally just sat down.. so let him stew a bit.. he will get over it..
    my profile picture is me and our local weatherman, and he will be in our town so, going to visit him before I go to work...7:30-5 today for work.. and it will be a doozy
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,246 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Terri by the Irish Sea

It's so great reading all your stories. So many recurring themes, but I guess that is because we are all focused on trying to improve our lot in life, and make things better for those nearest and dearest to our hearts.

Although I am retired, old habits die hard. I still rise at around 6.30 am, and normally start the day with either yoga or Tai Chi. It gets the old joints on the move nicely. Before the surgery, I would do some cardio and strength after that, by which time hubby Michael would be up and about and would bring me a cup of tea to start the day.

At the moment I have got into the habit of sitting watching the sun come up over the outskirts of the town where I live. I do my physio exercises in bed before I get up, then hobble about for a while to get things moving. This morning, I didn't need any pain meds when I woke up, so that was a great step forward. And I have lost 7 of the 10 lbs I gained in the few days after the operation.

Dark against the dawn,
    morning clouds mass the eastern sky.
    Motionless trees break
    The roofy skyline
    as suburbia sleeps
    toward the coming day.

The day looks set fair with high, hazy cloud cover. The world outside looks newly washed by the overnight showers.

My life seems very serene compared with some of the things in your lives. However, I am no stranger to troubles in the past, but adopt the following outlook on life, preferring not to be defined by adversary. @NO_Excuses_515 puts it perfectly with her post.
    It's not that life has been easy, perfect, or exactly as I expected. I just choose to happy and grateful no matter how it all turns out.

My prayers go out to those of you facing trying times. :heart:

It is a blessing that the little girl has such a great Gran in her corner, who will fight tooth and nail to protect her from any further harm.

Thank you so much for the wonderful welcome. I will try and learn your names, and comment as the days go by.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My son was molested by our next door neighbor when he was 12. I will write about it tomorrow. Good night everyone.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well went down to see the weatherman, and he roped me into going on camera,so i was on t.v. thank goodness I didnt see it.. anyway today a busy day...
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well went down to see the weatherman, and he roped me into going on camera,so i was on t.v. thank goodness I didnt see it.. anyway today a busy day...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Oh Mary, there were sumacs in your picture... with red leaves... I think I've mentioned how much I miss them. smiley-sad010.gif

Yes, we have them in our yard and all along the trail. They are beautiful. They used to boil the red fruit in water to make a tart lemonade type drink. It is supposed to be really good.

Mary from Minnesota
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Pip - when my nephew broke my collar bone during a game of frisbee football, I was in a sling for a while... For me, the hard part was sleeping. As soon as I would fall asleep and the arm would get loose, I'd move it wrong and wake in pain. Finally figured out that, with an extra long Ace bandage, I could strap my arm to the front of my body, elbow tight to my side, with my hand laid up on my chest, and run the bandage around the chest and waist to stabilize the whole arm. Would wake up stiff, but at least it allowed me to sleep. Once I could wear a bra again, I could just put my hand up inside it from the bottom, between the girls, with the hand laid flat on my upper chest. Best of luck on the surgery! As fit and healthy as you are, recovery will be a snap.

Gloria in WA - Actually, this is my first time turning around operations in a restaurant. I've worked in the oil field, where I built an Excel field ticket tracking system for an oilfield services company. Also worked in the high technology sector, for Cisco Systems' proposals department, to move them onto fully virtual operations, real-time whiteboard meetings with people around the world chiming in, and file sharing. In the defense arena, I took over and streamlined Lockheed Martin's employee communications. Was also part of establishing the website for Michaels, the arts and crafts retailer, at the beginning of this century. There were a few other biggies here and there. Also been a newspaper editor, assistant librarian, military cook, and for one short period, worked in a carnival. Don't ask. :wink:

I am here to tell you this morning that nitroglycerin is a miracle cure for a fissure. The co-pay was $45 for a tube of ointment, but my insurance company was charged $500 for it, so I got off pretty light. Second dose this morning, but there has been no blood, no discharge and no pain since last night about four hours after the first dose. I also slept straight through from 10 p.m. until 4 a.m., something I haven't done since August 28, when this began. After applying the ointment, there's about an hour of feeling dizzy, sweaty and generally kind of awful, but so far, no headache, which is the most common side effect.

I also found out there are Internet forums for EVERYthing, where you can find questions like those I've had, as well as answers. Freaky-deaky. And, as of this morning, I am actually back down to what my ticker says I am, so have lost all seven pounds I gained on my vacation to Montana. Woo-hoo!

I'm hoping it taught me something. Taking my eyes off the prize is just no longer an option. Dealing with the aftermath of one week of indulgence has taken THREE WEEKS.

And, ta-da! Had a guy walk in the restaurant day before yesterday to talk to me, and he owned a restaurant here in town. Lost it because he and his wife made the mistake of leasing the building, rather than owning it--and the landlord jacked up the price so high they couldn't make ends meet. I kinda loved him on sight--he understands the business, he knows the language, he's willing to come in at a lower wage to ensure a future working with the Mitchells, the folks who own the restaurant I'm working in and the ranch my husband works for and where we live. He's the one we've been looking for all along. So, my boss the GM was supposed to talk to the owners last night, and hopefully the news is good this morning, that we're able to hire him as assistant manager. Then he and the crew chief we hired three weeks ago now can slug it out for the manager position.

And, bluntly, I've had two "come-to-Jesus" meetings with her already--to get her to stop standing around with her arms folded watching things happen, and because of a stunt she pulled on taking an unexpected day off. So--she's going to have to step up her game, or get left behind. Should be interesting.

Off to the races - ran the preliminary figures, and it's going to take the equivalent of selling about 450 covers a day (the restaurant seats 100-ish) in order to get us to the black over the next year. One cover (appetizer, meal, drink and dessert) is equivalent right now to a revenue of about $12. At this point, we're selling just under 200.

But, with our margins in the bar, plus some serious advertising and improvements, I think it can be done. Getting this dude in there to get me out of day-to-day management completely will free me for the in-depth analysis that's necessary. I've been able to do SOME preliminary figures, but not enough yet.

Six hours of deep sleep has done amazing things for my energy AND my attitude. Feel like Wonder Woman again.

Wonderwoman-female-wonder-woman-superhero-smiley-emoticon-000249-medium.gif
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,767 Member
    Options
    Oh no no no Lisa !!! You do not get away with "worked in a carnival. Don't ask." DO tell!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    lizmil79 wrote: »
    Hi I am Liz Miller, I have been a regular on here but went off course. Now working my way back.

1. To log every bite or drink
    2. Walk or clean house get out on tapes to do.some extra moving
    3. Drink my water
    4. Because of budget half to.eat what is on the pantry shelf first but to measure, everything to get right normal serving on my plate. Not double. :)
    5. To keep going and not quit. That are my goals

:) Hi Liz, I'm happy to see you posting again. When I started my weight loss journey I began by finishing all the food that was in the pantry or freezer and measuring out portion size....what an eye opener. I read labels and saw that things were 325 calories per serving and thought they were a good choice but when I began to measure out a single serving, I realized that in the past I'd been eating often three servings thinking it was only one.....I listen to audio books when I walk or do chores in the house and it makes the time pass very pleasantly.

<3 Barbie

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    My line dance teacher choreographed Josh Ritter's new song. His team picked up Cef's videos, and here's the result: http://www.thebluegrasssituation.com/read/watch-josh-ritter-getting-ready-get-down

WTG Cef!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know if it really froze here last night. I covered plants again, then it rained, so I am thinking some things came uncovered. Oh well.... time will tell...

Today - off to sign papers at the accountant and then shop for lights for the basement and need a couple more doorknobs. Should be an interesting day!!!

Later everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan