WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh Beth – Your entire story brings tears to my eyes. I’m so sorry for all your loss, yet so happy that you were able to pay it forward to a family on the same day. Hugs and Prayers for every one of you ! ! !

Pip – Loving your attitude about your upcoming ride. My DS feels the same, so I try to keep my heart heading in a similar direction. I don’t pray that he comes home safe, I just pray that he comes home. I know he is an accident (or broken bone, or whatever) waiting to happen, so I just keep him well-insured. I know you will make the best of any situation, and try your hardest, and I wish you fun and sun ! ! !

Mia – Congrats on the NSV of not needing to unbutton your pants. Very Exciting ! ! !

Miriam – So nice to see the kids having fun in the pool. Thanks for sharing.

Rosie – HUGE and L O N G hugs coming your way. I think you and I share a husband. Everyone thinks he’s the greatest, nicest guy in the world, who would do anything for you. Truth is, he will only help people he considers friends (not spouse, unless I kick and scream to get my way), and certainly not strangers. Our ONLY vacation was 2010, and we’ve been married 15 years and together 18. The only time we travel is for baseball or bowling tournaments. He goes bowling twice a week, but there is no money for me to have a social life (unless I spend “my” money as opposed to “family” money, which he considers his money). I do go out, and do things, and only clean or cook as much as my RA will allow. I go to ALL doctor appointments alone (or take my Dad if I think I will struggle to understand), even though he expects me to be at all of his appointments. I even had a breast biopsy alone, and he knew that it was scheduled. But, if I tell him straight up that I expect him to be there, he will be. My ex on the other hand, just didn’t care, and would refuse to be supportive of anything, ever. This hubby just doesn’t get it unless it is written on a 2 x 4 and slapped upside his head. The best advise ever given to me was the nurse during my Stress Test (of course, alone and only 48 years old). She said “live your life, do all the fun things you want to do, and eventually he will get jealous and want to come along”. I hope someday that she is right, but that day hasn’t arrived yet. I am also thankful that the company we work for allows 6 Therapy sessions per year, so I could learn how to tolerate and persuade slight adjustments to the way I allow him to treat me. So Rosie, here’s another hug, so you can feel loved and appreciated, and I hope you understand that while you are here with us, you are valued ! ! !

My sister is having a breast biopsy next week. Tomorrow she takes her SO to have surgery on his foot. She has a lot on her plate at one time right now. She is pretty tired of all the digging around inside of her the past few months. She had a breast biopsy 6 months ago that was benign. She also had a bladder biopsy just a few months ago, that was "borderline". Please send her hugs and prayers ! Thanks!!!

My Dad must be fine, because he was picking on me through e-mail today. We get to wear football shirts for work tomorrow, and I live in Wisconsin, but I will ALWAYS be a Bears fan. He told me he will be embarrassed for me tomorrow if I choose to wear a Bears shirt to work. He said his eye will open about 1/2 way, so that's good.

That's all for now. Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,771 Member
    Options
    Mia... Great NSV!

Rosie ... Hugs sent your way ... No one deserves to be treated like a cook and maid.

Terri ... Prayers for your sister ...

Joyce ... You are in my thoughts a lot today.

It seems my husband and I have to get our heads out of the sand ... I have an informal document in our papers, but nothing legal regarding wills, trusts, etc. thank you all for the reminder.

I am stymied as to what to make for dinner .... Hate it when I do this! Usually details the eating plan for the day!

Beth
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Husbands must be all the same....mine is the life of the party and gets along with and is admired by anyone he has worked for or with....however, ask him how his relationship is with his family and mine. Nothing! Now I know his Asperger's has a lot to do with this but it would be nice for his siblings and mine to see how terrific a person he really is and can be. Geesh.....so very frustrating. Have spent many years fighting this with him and I just don't do it anymore. I concern myself with his relationship with me first and then our 2 kids. What is it with the men?!

Cheri in beautiful NE Ohio
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Rosie/Terri/Cheri - All your husband stories sound so familiar. Everyone just loves my husband! If someone else invites him to a social outing, he is happy and excited. If I ask him to go to a movie or out to dinner or maybe even just out for a bike ride, his typical response is "do we have to"? Our lives focus so much around our two daughters right now that I worry we will become one of those couples with nothing left in common after the kids leave. Anyway, I am determined that will not happen but I've decided I need to focus on me first and then I can focus on us. That is one of the reasons I am here. :)

And now you've also reminded me that we need to get our wills in order.

Linda/IA

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    rainy thurs here in Il
    hugs
    jane
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday. I am working the long shift today. First thing this morning I see in the paper that my friend from high school brother passed away yesterday. So have to see if she is coming home for the funeral. We got a good old fashion thurder storm last evening with lots of wind and hail. Was glad to be home and not have to go out. But it also means we did not take the furbabies for a walk and I went over calories again. I need to get a handle on this. I know what to do, just doing it. Not giving up, today is a new day.

Penny--That winds sounds terrible. Glad you are safe. Love the pictures of your town. Thanks for sharing.
    I am also part of the group that does not sleep well. I have tried going to bed early and then I just wake up early. I am tired of feeling tired.

Rita--Hope things with DS improve.

Terri--Looks like your dad took quite the fall. Hope he is doing ok. Sending prayers for DS that her tests come out well.

Becca--Love the wedding pictures. The dress is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. 31 years is something to be proud of, we will celebrate 31 years Nov 3rd. Good, bad, been thru it all.

Pat--Like the shirt and being hot pink really stands out.

Joyce--Please do not be so hard on yourself. With all you are dealing with you need love and understanding. Glad to hear DH is in the rehab place and pray he works hard.

Sylvia--That is a great NSV. That necklace looks good on you. Sure hope your son is doing better.

Lisa--WOW! Real life is stranger then fiction.

Mia--Be looking forward to hearing all about your vacation. Enjoy! Nice NSV with the pants. I have a couple pairs of jeans that I can pull up and down without undoing the button or zipper. I could not wear jeans for so long, I just keep wearing them.

Yvonne--Take it slow and easy.

Janetr--Hope you enjoy your trip and will be waiting to hear all about it.

Margaret, Mary and Gayle--Great picture. I do enjoy hearing about the meetings. What a blessed group we are.

Kim--Sorry to hear about Levi. Hope he heals fast.

Carol--Hugs!

Sassy--glad to see you back.

Beth--Sorry to hear about your day, Thank you for helping the young couple. I enjoy doing that when I can.

Rosie--Hugs!!
    ladies reading about your husbands reminds so much of my first husband. Long as he had his home made meals, cig and ice tea, he didn't care what I did. DH now is better, but been married almost 31 years and made a lot of ajustments.

Well ladies once again am caught up and time to finish up some work. Weather is trunning funny with watchs out. Just hope it waites until I leave before it starts.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Good morning!

Had a very emotional and strange day yesterday ...

My beloved pastor, friend and boss told me he was taking an immediate leave of absence due to emotional burnout ... He said "I know you'll understand." I cried. For him. And for others I know dealing with mental health issues.

My oldest son's friend and former aide died suddenly ... Late 40s ... On his birthday no less. I cried for him. I cried for my son as I know this will be difficult for him given his current mental health status.

I'm 53 and still having periods! What is up with this??? Of course, this is why I'm crying!

Waited in line at the grocery store for over a half hour as the young couple before me checked out with WIC vouchers. (Women, infant and children supplemental food program) it's a tedious process they're made to go through and it embarrasses those who use them. We just enjoyed watching their baby. As they were finishing up, I saw the cashier move several items to the side. I whispered to the young father ... Didn't you want those things? And he replied, "we're short." I have always wanted to do this for someone ...So I got the cashiers attention and quietly asked her to wring the extra items up on my bill. Despite the young couples arguments to not, the cashier knew just what to do. After a day where there was nothing I could do ... This was something I could ... And it felt good!! Ended the day with a smile. Highly recommended it.

Have a good one ladies!
    Beth

53 isn't that old, I went to 57. A dr told me60 it's time to look. Plus my weight delayed the process. Gayle Minneapolis
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,648 Member
    Options
    So this morning I got a call at 6am from my god son he and his girlfriend are driving from San Jose, CA to seattle, WA and instead of having breakfast before they left, they stopped at my house (about 1 hour from home) and took me out! What a great treat! He's 22 and really has become a great adult.

Joyce – hang in and I think fasting blood sugar at just 104 AFTER that brownie was not that bad.

Katla – keeping Levi quiet is crazy hard, yesterday with him still hurting was not too bad, but today on a muscle relaxant and an anti-inflammatory and he feels fine, and ready to run!

Beth – What a wonderful thing to do….

Pip – thanks!

Heather – good for getting the will thing done, perfect was not the goal, as in terms of estates I don’t believe there is ever a “perfect” but better than it was is a success. Interesting about just using the interest if assets are in a trust, that is not how it is in the US, that may be a difference or a mis-understanding. Could DH’s car just be put in both your names?

Sandra from Ottawa – welcome

Mia – Great NSV – although a funny way to find out that your pants are too big!

Rosie – marriage counseling? He doesn’t have to go, if you respond/react/behave differently sometimes you get a different result.

Terri – Wear that Bears shirt!

September Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles
    Log everyday –
    Twice a week do floor exercises
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 –
    W2 – went hiking
    W3 –
    W4 –
    W5 -
    Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,650 Member
    Options
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Greetings all:
    Sylvia - you have lovely definition and the necklace looks great! You are NOT fat!!
    Becca - thank you for sharing the wedding pics, so beautiful, the tatted veil and made with love dress, everyone looks so happy! I think loving ourself is the first step toward recovery!
    Carol - BIG HUGS to you, and this too shall pass.
    Kim - keep reading about connection between yoga and reduced stress, thus reduced cortisol levels, helping to lose/keep off weight. I'm determined to attend a yoga class tonight at the gym. How was your class?
    Joyce - Good wishes and prayers for your Charlie's recovery. Take time/care for yourself.
    Sassy - Thank you for Phenomenal Woman, going to print it out and place where can read it daily over the desk.
    Rosie/Terri - this sure sounds familiar, can i send him to you? Getting better at zoning it out, but it's the constant complaining that's got me fed up, don't want to hear it anymore! He hates my exercising, or leaving to go to bike ride or any runs. Pips, you are one lucky, lucky lady!!
    Day 4? of no sugar! Did you know canned black beans cooked w/jalapeno have added sugar? Haven't touched the GS cookies - yah. My morning BG is lower - yah.

Back to work
    Linda in Cali
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    v0wrqsd9p6on.jpg

Kim, when we got Sasha she was recovering from a broken leg caused by one of her larger litter mates and we got her spayed right away....the vet said she should stay quiet and not jump on anything so we confined her and her bed with this "fence". She stayed there a short time and then jumped over the "fence" and jumped up onto the couch.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,316 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kim - I love my yoga class! About a third of the members are over 75! Most are over 60 and there are a couple of "youngsters" in their 50s or 40s. The older ladies go off together a couple of times a year on exotic holidays to places like Mauritius. The old ones can do shoulder stands, balancing with holding one leg out in front of them etc!
    When I first joined I was only 61, but couldn't do any of it. Now I can do virtually anything, except for extreme squats (knees) and I'm not good at sitting for too long on the floor. I use a chair. Our teacher is wonderful and so accommodating to all of us. She has a terrific sense of humour and lends me dresses! :laugh: We are blessed. <3

Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    Day 4? of no sugar! Did you know canned black beans cooked w/jalapeno have added sugar? Haven't touched the GS cookies - yah. My morning BG is lower - yah.

Back to work
    Linda in Cali

:) I recently read "The Year of No Sugar" and learned a lot about how omnipresent sugar is.....it was a fun and interesting book....I listened to it as an audio book when I walked the dogs.

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I am typing this from work since I can't access the software I need to do my job and my shoulder is simply not up to hauling files around which is the other alternative.

Thank you all for the hugs and good wishes. They mean the world to me! This morning's meeting went much better than I had feared and I came out of pretty much unscathed. I had made up my mind that we would talk only business this morning because I was NOT going to have a personal discussion in the middle of Starbucks! Luckily, he didn't bring anything up that I needed to make my position clear about. I have my appointment to talk to my former coworker tomorrow morning at a near-to-PT restaurant. I may order breakfast while I am there since I won't have eaten before I go. I already know that it is a really cool place for dinner, so I wouldn't mind trying the breakfast.

One side effect of all of this stupidity in my life is that I have eaten practically nothing for three days (and threw up part of what I had eaten on Tuesday). My stomach growls but the thought of putting food into my mouth makes me want to vomit. Even though it may be cool for weight loss, I know it is really bad for my health.

The new pain medication worked! The Percoset was just not doing anything for the pain, but the Vicodin did a great job. I am following my therapist's orders to take my anxiety meds as needed-- 1/2 pill at the first negative (that will become obsessive) thought and then take the rest of it if the 1/2 doesn't take care of it.

I want to visit the grocery store to pick up some more brussel sprouts and roast them. I'd never had fresh ones before and I liked them. Go figure! But, I get my hair cut tonight so I will have to see if I can do it tomorrow.

Penny - I love the 360 video! I love seeing other parts of the world and really need to win the lottery so that I can afford to travel.

MN girls - Great picture!

Beth - You had a trying day. I wish I was there to cry with you and give you a hug.

All your talk about husbands makes me glad I don't have one any more. If I EVER consider that step again, it will have to be a perfect match. I put up with grief from my ex for 22 years of marriage plus 6 six years of dating before that. It is still a battle to learn to like who I am and see that I am valuable. Those old voices keep rearing up and telling me how worthless I am.

I'm going to spend a few minutes trying to get a few steps in before I leave here--since I am the only one in the building. I hope everyone has a great evening!

Carol in stormy NC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @NO_Excuses_515 Woooohooooo YOUBETCHA I am proud of ya!!! Good on Ya!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    My son is out of the hospital and back home, but looking very tired. I picked up all the kids from school and took them home. He told them they were going out to eat with their other grandparents tonight, so they were having to rush getting their homework done and baths taken. I hope they have a good time and the other grands don't play head games with them.

I tried all day to get the back off my laser printer so I can install a new fuser cartridge, but no luck. I thought it would be easy, but it's not. I'm hoping I can talk my son into looking at it when he feels up to it. He's the computer fixer in the family.

I'm trying to make rice in my new pressure cooker tonight. Haven't done that before, so we will see how it turns out. I added lemon zest, garlic and ginger. And I'm making beef steak on the indoor grill. I was a little light headed today, so thought I might need more protein.

Penny, I was trying to show hubby the 360 pic of your town last night but when I did the picture was all black with some tiny lights. Then it dawned on me that it must be a real time picture and it was dark there. Hubby didn't miss a beat, very dryly saying, "breathtaking". Wise *kitten*.

Beth, you don't have fibroids, do you? I had them really bad and once they were gone the bleeding stopped.

Got go. Hubby's home. Have a great evening!

Sylvia
  • Annr
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Gloria/WA- Oh Gloria stop girl... lol If you ever get down through Astoria area give me a jingle and I can meet you for some Antique Mall paroooozing. There is a GODDESS in all of us....heck in the Renaissance times they would PAINT beautiful ladies like us! Don't ever under estimate your inner goddess!!! She can come out whenever.....sometimes when you least expect it.
    Becca Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    I will not eat my emotions. I will not eat my emotions. I will not eat my emotions.

It's a long and involved story involving my relationship with family and my husband's inability to support me the way I need.

I will not eat my emotions. I will not eat my emotions. I will not eat my emotions.

Picking up my crochet project and hoping keeping my hands busy will help.

Cheri stressed in NE Ohio
  • Annr
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Beth- That was nice of you to pay for that couples extra items they couldn't pay for. I have been on the recieving end of that, and I was so touched. It was Christmas time and I was at a nearby Walmart kind of store. My MIL always sends cash to us in with her cards, so I wanted to buy some stocking stuffers for my sons. I was just having fun, kinding of keeping track but not really. I had picked up some foot pampering items for me, but had them aside somewhat on the belt. So I told the cashier to tell me when I was close to my $50 limit. She cut me off and I told her I needed to put these back. A young guy about 30 was after me, and he said, "oh just put these on my card". I thanked him saying, "My feet say thank you!" Then I went home and told my husband a strange man bought me foot stuff...hahahaha!

Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE, You are quite welcome, I was soo totally a different person back then. I was timid, such a follower, and my self esteem was based on who I had to talk to and make me feel strong. Over the years I have realized my positive self esteem has nothing to do with other people but all about me. I used to gage my emotions on others. I am sad....so I would call others to make me feel better. I am happy...so I would call others to validate my happiness. In a certain degree that is the human condition, but my questions are can't I feel happiness regardless of "checking in with society" about it? These last couple of years have opened my eyes to the possiblities of my yearning to live an honest life and others be damned. :-)

Some of you have mentioned how their husbands are one way in society and a totally different personality at home with you. My husband was always so business-like and the face of a Navy man. It shouldn't have taken an illness to get him to open up and let me see the emotional side of the man, but it did. Or maybe it was having him realize that other men in the world found me so desirable. So he fought for me a little. He almost lost me, and I almost lost him. So now he walks with me down the street, not paces ahead of me on his own. He opens the door for me, and makes me feel special. As I have realized that I am worth it, he has realized that he needs to be attentive. So ladies demand it, if only out of simple respect for you. You are worth it!!

Becca
    Oregon