Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    o030vnjj6ig4.jpg
    I've actually been meaning to try a cookie butter/peanut butter mix...

OMG, to DIE for!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    But we went on vacation, and the friends we stayed with drowned *everything* in ranch. Blech.

Once, long ago, I watched as someone I knew made salad for the dinner we were having. It was a fairly large salad and was looking great ... and then she opened a dressing bottle and emptied it all over the salad. That wasn't quite enough and she used up about half of another bottle. The lettuce was swimming in dressing. It was like ranch soup.

You're right ... blech. I like ranch dressing, but a drizzle will do.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    o030vnjj6ig4.jpg

I've never seen these. Are they readily available on grocery store shelves in the US, or do you have to go to a specialty shop?

Others here have mentioned flavoured peanut butter ... is this what they are talking about? The only flavours of peanut butter I've ever seen are "crunchy" and "smooth".

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The above aren't peanut butters, they're cookie butter/speculoos/biscoff/lotus biscuit spreads. They are insanely good. They're made from these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculoos

These are examples of flavoured peanut butters, like the ones here... http://www.proteinpickandmix.co.uk/brands/Hognuts-Nut-Butters.html or here http://www.proteinpickandmix.co.uk/brands/Nuts-n-More.html

ubd12g9oay3q.jpg

45ppt8pmqyqd.jpg

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    o030vnjj6ig4.jpg

I've never seen these. Are they readily available on grocery store shelves in the US, or do you have to go to a specialty shop?

Others here have mentioned flavoured peanut butter ... is this what they are talking about? The only flavours of peanut butter I've ever seen are "crunchy" and "smooth".

Trader Joes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. I will eat it with anything if I can. I just learned to make peanut satay sauce and its wonderful on noodles. My grandma used to put a scoop on some hot sticky rice, it was her favorite treat. And we weren't even born in America.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the almighty PB, banana and honey sammich!

Pb and cheese sammich, pb and pickle sammich......
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    o030vnjj6ig4.jpg

If anyone doesn't have a TJ's near them then I recommend this brand. Both the creamy & crunchy are awesome, & are even better nuked in the microwave in a tortilla.

IMG_73141.jpg

051651093644.png

I am hoping to find this spread that someone mentioned in the New Foods thread

pumpkinspice-800px.jpg

If I can't find it I might break down & buy it on their website.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I never cared for pb when I was younger esp. sandwiches- I hated how it would stick to the roof of my mouth. It would make me gag.

I don't mind the flavor esp paired with chocolate- Reese's peanut butter cups are yummy, but I still don't like peanut butter sandwiches.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This thread inspired me to make my African Groundnut Stew. Very tasty chicken/veggie stew with the addition of PB!.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Weaned on it? Momma watered it down and put it in our bottles!

Kidding! (I think. I''ll have to ask her.)
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I once had a delicious peanut soup at the Williamsburg Inn in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. My PB fav is toast with PB & honey. Reese's Peanut Butter cups ... yum, that chocolate & PB combo can't be beat! And oh yeah ... Nutter Butters! 5 Nutter Butter Bites make a great snack that fits easily into my allowance.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    I didn't realize other countries besides the US don't have or really like peanut butter! I ate a ton of it when I was a kid...so much that I don't really care for it now as an adult. I do like peanut butter flavored desserts or candy...like Reece cups, yum! But just peanut butter on a sandwich or on celery or apples...eh veryyyy rarely do I crave it or even like it that much. My son and stepson however could eat it everyday...they love it, especially with grape jelly on sandwiches:smile:

It's not as true now as it was even 20 years ago. Processed foods have become much more global. Nestle is just about everywhere these days.

I spent some of my growing-up years in the US, but I only ever ate Adams Natural peanut butter--the crunchy kind that has peanuts, salt and nothing else. It was not an everyday thing in my household, but a convenience for portable sandwiches on trips and things like that. I like it, but it isn't something that I crave or want to eat in embarrassing quantities.

I never had the smooth kind with sugar, extra oils and something that tastes like plastic added to it until a couple of years ago. Yikes! The fluffy stuff in peanut candies doesn't really resemble peanut butter for me either.

Probably I am a bad American. I was weaned on homemade yogurt and applesauce from the backyard trees.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    momoharuno wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    momoharuno wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My mom always told me if you drink milk with peanut butter you get a "complete protein". She always served me milk with PB sandwiches. Maybe the milk thing is where the connection between PB and protein comes in.

Milk helps you swallow the PB since it is thick and sticky.
    Must...resist...obvious..jokes :s

But in all seriousness I like peanut butter better now as an adult then I did as a kid, we always had it in the house and I ate it occasionally in a sandwich (without jelly) and a glass of milk. Now I'm more inclined to eat it in a dessert with chocolate and actually enjoy it but regardless it's just not a first pick for me. Oddly everybody in my family including my husband loves peanut butter and forgets I don't usually eat it so they're always offering it to me lol I do think peanut butter is very quintessential to the typical American though, I really can't think of anyone I know (besides myself) who doesn't care for it much. :)

One of my "go to" stews is an African Groundnut stew which includes PB along with a lot of cumin and cayenne. Very tasty.

You know, I have heard of several African dishes that use peanut butter in them, I would love to try them someday I love trying new cuisines I just find it very interesting :)

West African cuisine is AWESOME!!! There's a place where I live that makes peanut butter stew. So good and delicious.

• vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In Puerto Rico the shelves have both Peanut butter and Cheese whiz but the cheese whiz section is five times larger. In NY it is half jelly, half PB and tiny section cheese whiz.
    Personally I am a fan of PB but only if its real. Not jif or skippy or anything with added oil or sugar. I love mixing chia into it and eating it with banana.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was born in America but my parents were not, and peanut butter sandwiches weren't a thing in our house. I remember being like 8 maybe? And asking my father to buy peanut butter and jelly because I desperately wanted to bring that to school instead of the wierd open faced sandwiches they packed for me that were soooo unamerican. Got to school, took one bite and almost gagged. Needless to say, I went back to the open sandwiches. Still not a fan of peanut butter unless it's a sauce in Thai food.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    pumpkinspice-800px.jpg

If I can't find it I might break down & buy it on their website.
    Pumpkin spice - yet another this that seems all-encompassing in the US, and actually doesn't exist almost anywhere else in the world. I have American friends who log the passing seasons by the emergence of pumpkin spice in their Starbucks lattes!

I'm not a big fan of any kind of spread - except a really good duck liver pate! I like Nutella on crepes, but I wouldn't have it on bread. Toast/bread eaten without other things is for jam, marmalade, or melted cheese!
    cityruss wrote: »
    45ppt8pmqyqd.jpg
    Saying all of that, oh my god, gingerbread spread - gimme!!! I love gingerbread - good grief this thread is making me hungry, and I thought I'd be safe because I don't like peanut butter!

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    I was born in America but my parents were not, and peanut butter sandwiches weren't a thing in our house. I remember being like 8 maybe? And asking my father to buy peanut butter and jelly because I desperately wanted to bring that to school instead of the wierd open faced sandwiches they packed for me that were soooo unamerican. Got to school, took one bite and almost gagged. Needless to say, I went back to the open sandwiches. Still not a fan of peanut butter unless it's a sauce in Thai food.

This is so much my experience of tasting peanut butter :D
  • vegemitesandwich
    vegemitesandwich Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter was always one of those things I wanted so desperately to like, growing up in the UK and seeing a lot of US shows. Tried it several times growing up and nah, not my thing.

Fast forward a ton of years later and I'm 24 and living in Australia, and hmm, my girlfriend has peanut butter maybe I should try it again. Taste explosion, I didn't realise peanut butter and bread could be so damn good! I always seem to start eating it, or want to, when I'm calorie counting (boo) but the big 1kg jar of Skippy I got from Costco is getting hard to resist opening.

there are also two half eaten Skippy jars, but they're for the dog.. honest
  • nikol_xix
    nikol_xix Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is it good for a low-calorie diet? I heard that it contains a lot of protein ,but I'm not sure if this can help me to loose weight