Do you still count calories?

Options
Or do you feel MFP gave you enough information on your weight loss journies to manage on your own?

I'm not done losing yet but I don't want to be stuck in a world of logging every little thing forever.

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Yep. I like counting. I plan to do it for the foreseeable future.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't see myself ever giving up calorie counting. I enjoy it and it has become an ingrained habit which takes but a few minutes a day..
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I know there are people who can maintain without logging, but I am not one of them. Honestly though, I'm Ok with it. It doesn't really take me all that long, and I can keep tabs on things like making sure I get enough protein.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I do count and log but I am not as obsessive as I used to be. I am pretty good now estimating amounts and keeping my weight under control. I think that not having a sweet tooth or a binge problem has been very helpful to me. I was away from MFP for over 6 months just watching portions and keeping up with my fitness and I was able to keep my weight within my 2lbs self impose allowance. I do get tired of logging sometimes so I take a break to keep my sanity. By the way, I have been in maintenance for almost 5 yeas.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I was overweight for over 30 years so I see myself as similar to a recovering alcoholic, although i've been maintaining for about 18 months & often don't log for a week or 2 I still come back to log for a few days when I feel the need to focus on my intake; it really helps to have a proteins & fats target, that keeps the rest under control.
  • laureninchina
    laureninchina Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I used to be extremely obsessive about it when I was really into my disordered eating habits but over time I've learned to teach myself not to worry so much about it, just focus on what you're actually putting into your body and deciding if it's good for you or not.

I still know the calories of everything I eat though, it's annoying because in the back of my head I'll be calculating how much calories my breakfast is in the back of my head. I urge you not to take calorie counting so seriously because I feel the effects will last me a lifetime.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Even if I dont accurately weigh and log, I cant erase the numbers from my memory After counting calories for over 3 years, I just cant flip a switch. I'm always estimating whether I like it or not, and dont think I'll ever be able to fully let go
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I only need to calorie count at this point because I'm doing a lot of running and if I don't eat back enough calories I'll lose weight, which I don't want.
    I've logged for years, with a few breaks during which I actually lost a tiny bit of weight, so I feel I'm familiar enough with the estimated calorie counts of things that I could manage fine without it, unless I'm training for races, because you feel so rubbish when you aren't fuelling yourself correctly.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    absolutely yes.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about a year and a half and I plan to count indefinitely. I have seen so many people in "real" life and on this site, who gained back after they quit counting, or because they got tired of monitoring their food. Most people who lose weight gain it back, I want to be the exception to that.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Into my second year of maintenance and I still count calories every day. But to me it's not just calories but making sure my macros are in line as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Always will. Have to.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do but honestly I probably don't need to count anymore. I've been in maintenance for nearly 3 years and I have a pretty good idea of portions and all. It's just kind of a habit now.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I tracked on WW pretty much every day for 6 years and now track on MFP. Some people don't need to do it forever while others do. It becomes second nature after awhile. I won't necessarily track on holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. and I don't always go back and back-track certain nights out after the fact. I'll skip a day here and there. But I like tracking most of the time.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Still logging. it helps me with accountability and keeping an eye on portions. I do feel well educated on calories, macros, etc. but I enjoy logging
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    i learned enough while losing weight to no bother with counting in maintenance. I've maintained for over two years without counting.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm not done losing yet but I don't want to be stuck in a world of logging every little thing forever.

Do you know an almost sure-fire way to fall off the wagon and gain your weight back?

Quit tracking food intake. That'll do it.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm not in maintenance for another 4lbs, but I know for sure that I'm going to keep counting my calories. I see it as a necessity at this point. Like checking my bank account to make sure I have enough money to buy something.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Do you know an almost sure-fire way to fall off the wagon and gain your weight back?

Quit tracking food intake. That'll do it.

or not...

there are literally millions of people who don't track *kitten* and have no issues maintaining their weight...logging in a diary is not in anyway necessary for living a healthful and active life.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Would think you'd have to. We all got over weight by not counting in the first place. Wouldn't you need to continue to countto be sure you aren't creating another surplus of calories?