Do you still count calories?

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I haven't counted calories in years and have maintained fine! Even through two pregnancies.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Would think you'd have to. We all got over weight by not counting in the first place. Wouldn't you need to continue to countto be sure you aren't creating another surplus of calories?

you don't think it's possible to teach yourself to be mindful and eat healthfully? i've not logged a thing for over two years...maintain just fine...i developed healthful habits along the way losing weight and those haven't changed.

people gain weight back because they revert to old habits...it has nothing to do with logging or not logging...logging is just a tool...I liken it to training wheels on a bike...eventually you should be able to ride...but apparently a lot of people can't resist returning to old habits.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Would think you'd have to. We all got over weight by not counting in the first place. Wouldn't you need to continue to countto be sure you aren't creating another surplus of calories?

you don't think it's possible to teach yourself to be mindful and eat healthfully? i've not logged a thing for over two years...maintain just fine...i developed healthful habits along the way losing weight and those haven't changed.

people gain weight back because they revert to old habits...it has nothing to do with logging or not logging...logging is just a tool...I liken it to training wheels on a bike...eventually you should be able to ride...but apparently a lot of people can't resist returning to old habits.

Possible? Absolutely. Probable? There are an awful lot of recidivists out there. We got into our current shapes successfully counting, logging and paying attention. The harm in continuing these habits is nill. The risks in stopping are great. Take your pick.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I still track my intake, but I have gotten a lot looser with it. For instance, last night I didn't weigh my pork chop at dinner, but I knew it was probably about 4oz. My guesstimating skills have gotten a lot better thanks to logging. I have also entirely stopped logging on vacation.
  • I am certain I will continue to log. I need to see what I have done every day.
  • cwolfman13

Possible? Absolutely. Probable? There are an awful lot of recidivists out there. We got into our current shapes successfully counting, logging and paying attention. The harm in continuing these habits is nill. The risks in stopping are great. Take your pick.

already have...very healthy and fit guy here...i rock my nutrition and rock my fitness...i don't need to log to keep myself accountable to to be paying attention...I live and breath health and fitness...not an issue for me at all..

personally, I plan to be around for another 40 - 50 years...i really don't think it's realistic to think I would log every little thing for the next 40-50 years...and I don't think it's realistic for the vast majority either. I've been here for over three years and I always see these kinds of posts and really...people just missing the boat on what truly is the lifestyle change...
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    there are literally millions of people who don't track ***** and have no issues maintaining their weight...logging in a diary is not in anyway necessary for living a healthful and active life.

OK, but are you talking about people who have never had a weight problem or people who have overcome one?

When analyzing people who have lost weight and kept it off long term, one of the characteristics of these people is that they have made weight maintenance essentially their "life's work". They focus on it all the time.

Most people when they get complacent gain back the weight.
  • cwolfman13
    edited September 2015
    there are literally millions of people who don't track ***** and have no issues maintaining their weight...logging in a diary is not in anyway necessary for living a healthful and active life.

OK, but are you talking about people who have never had a weight problem or people who have overcome one?

When analyzing people who have lost weight and kept it off long term, one of the characteristics of these people is that they have made weight maintenance essentially their "life's work". They focus on it all the time.

Most people when they get complacent gain back the weight.

complacency has nothing to do with logging or not logging...people gain weight back when they fail to develop healthful dietary and exercise habits and continue with those into perpetuity. I wouldn't say weight maintenance is my life's work...but health and nutrition and fitness are...being a healthy weight is just a bi-product of living the lifestyle I do...

and yes, I was overweight...and yes, I know others who have been overweight who have lost weight and have dedicated themselves to nutrition and fitness, the bi-product of which is a healthy weight. I personally don't know anyone in my fitness circle (many of whom have had weight problems in the past) who log or who have every logged...

I'm not bashing logging...I logged for nine months while I was losing...back then I was a "I'm gonna log forever guy" too...by the time I got to maintenance i was about done with logging...it had become tedious and annoying...and thankfully I realized that I was perfectly capable of being mindful and accountable and rocking my nutrition and my fitness without obsessing over every little calorie in my diary.

logging is a great tool...but I think it's pretty unrealistic for people to think they're going to track every little morsel for all of time...that's a lot of time.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited September 2015
    Yep. I still count. And after doing it off and on for 2 years, I've decided to continue counting. But my counting is very relaxed. I don't weigh anything, don't log tastes here and there, and I guess at everything. But I like having a ballpark idea, especially as I eat out often.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I still count. But I do estimate more now than when I was losing. And some days, I don't bother to log completely. Those are the exceptions though rather than the norm.

Typically I aim for a slight deficit (200-300 cals/day) most of the week and then as the mood strikes I don't worry when I eat over maintenance which is generally about once a week these days. I have a maintenance weight range, and as long as I stay in that range (or only go over slightly for understandable water retention situations) then all is well.

Almost to the 1 year mark. :)
    ESotrops wrote: »
    Or do you feel MFP gave you enough information on your weight loss journies to manage on your own?

I'm not done losing yet but I don't want to be stuck in a world of logging every little thing forever.

• Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    If I make something I've never had before, I will count and log it. But I usually only make new things for special occasions. These days I don't count or log very much.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Counting was driving people around me crazy not to mention that when I would go out to eat it looked to others like I was addicted to facebook when I was logging. When I hit maintenance I stopped and did well until I slacked up on exercise combined that with some beer drinking. I still am re-trained on how to eat and with exercise can lose weight. If I must I can reduce alcohol to drop a few pounds fast. If you want to stop I say go for it but I would track your weight on a daily basis and log that so you will know when you need to reconsider.
  • AshesToBeast
    AshesToBeast Posts: 505 Member
    Only when dieting down, doing a light bulk so I can get away with not counting as often. After a few years you can pretty much eye ball what your used to eating.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    edited September 2015
    After 4 months in maintenance, I usually only count (and log) on the days when I go above my maintenance weight range of 130 to 132 pounds. (I have always weighed myself every day.) Then I cut calories slightly until I am back down, which is usually only a day or two.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I only log when I am bulking or cutting (especially bulking actually or else I find myself quickly off the gain-train). When I am maintaining, I log maybe the first few weeks to get a hang of the cal load but even then I'm not very accurate and don't weigh everything and am very generic. But this works for me
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I quit logging a couple years ago.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    ESotrops wrote: »
    Or do you feel MFP gave you enough information on your weight loss journies to manage on your own?

I'm not done losing yet but I don't want to be stuck in a world of logging every little thing forever.

Calorie counting has worked really well for me and I do not plan to give it up, even if I need to do it for the rest of my life. It has become part of my lifestyle routine just like taking a shower, brushing my teeth and flossing; no one would ever suggest to give those up just because they use up time and therefore are a PITA:

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited September 2015

Do you know an almost sure-fire way to fall off the wagon and gain your weight back?

Quit tracking food intake. That'll do it.

or not...

there are literally millions of people who don't track *kitten* and have no issues maintaining their weight...logging in a diary is not in anyway necessary for living a healthful and active life.

And there are literally 50% of the population who do have problems maintaining their weight. For those counting calories might be of great help.
    It is obvious that those who have maintained for a while without counting fall in the first group, while those ( like a friend who is also here in MFP and decided she knew how to guess, gained 50 pounds back in less than a year) who do have problems mainting would be better off counting calories.
    No one is saying that those who don't need it should count calories. I personally am not going to take a chance, because I am not going to be part of that majority that will re-gain what they have lost; not even a part of it.For me that is worth it 5-10 minutes each day.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Whenever I stop on go the pounds. Back to logging.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I still log my food - in a spreadsheet (as part of my meal planning, shopping and food waste reduction system), but I haven't counted calories since July. I would recommend calorie counting for most people who struggle with their weight. Counting calories in MFP made me aware of appropriate portion sizes, hunger and satiety cues, smarter food choices, reset my tastebuds. I have lost 45 pounds, most of my cravings and a lot of anxiety. I've gained a lot of knowledge and confidence and zen.