Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    so because you had a bad a experience in one golds gym that automatically means that all non-PF gyms are filled with a bunch of heavy lifting d-bags?????

So because you took your information from a select few PF gyms that automatically means that all PF gyms are bad?

And the fact that you said: "So basically hit the treadmill and work those five pound weights to death..." probably contributes to the fact that some people do feel uncomfortable at "real gyms"...you know, the ones that are so much better than PF. Sometimes, when you have never gone to a gym before it can be really intimidating and insecurities arise because of comments like that...then poof- you get stereotypes about meat heads and heavy lifting d-bags.

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Because your opinion is based on stupid commercials. It is silly. At not liking their corporate philosophy?.. I don't like Walmart but I won't stand in your way of cheap grapes if you think starving employees is worth it to your wallet.

Not only am I saying that I deadlift and overhead press often, I am saying that I was shown proper form by the trainer when I asked. They are so supportive. If it is real that other locations are like that, I feel bad for people. But, if you pay attention to the people who do say they really workout there, they have mostly praises and gratitude.

You say we are basing our opinions on stupid commercials. I think people would be equally outraged at a gym who advertises discrimination against the young, old, fat, or skinny.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

What is it about PF offering pizza that indicates it's not to be eaten in moderation? That's what I don't get about your argument. I eat pizza once a week. It fits well within my nutrition goals. That, to me, is moderation. Free pizza night at PF, were I to join that gym, wouldn't change that.
    What I'm saying is that it's not a good idea for gyms to serve up free pizza because most people DON'T consume in moderation. This would be especially true of PF's target clientele, since the company makes a big deal about how their target market is the average Joe rather than avowed fitness enthusiasts.

If PF corporate actually urged people to consume in moderation, your argument would have more weight. It doesn't, though, If you look at their advertising, it's just "Hey, free pizza! Come and get it! It's a treat!"

My argument is that PF has no moral or legal or nutritional obligation to police or moderate the caloric intake of its members. Your argument is that the average Joe eats too much pizza so the gym that he contracts to provide him access to treadmills, ellipticals, rowing machines, Cybex-type machines, and dumbbells, not dietary guidance, should not offer him pizza. Do you object to all corporations offering free food?

There is a huge difference between policing someone's caloric intake and providing needless temptations that work against their supposed goals.

food is food. it is neither good nor bad

and no one is making anyone eat it.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    so because you had a bad a experience in one golds gym that automatically means that all non-PF gyms are filled with a bunch of heavy lifting d-bags?????

So because you took your information from a select few PF gyms that automatically means that all PF gyms are bad?

The criticisms here are based on PF corporate policy and its marketing campaign, not just "a select few PF gyms." If anything, critics here have been pretty gracious about acknowledging that some PF locations don't toe the official company line.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

And the fact that you said: "So basically hit the treadmill and work those five pound weights to death..." probably contributes to the fact that some people do feel uncomfortable at "real gyms"...you know, the ones that are so much better than PF. Sometimes, when you have never gone to a gym before it can be really intimidating and insecurities arise because of comments like that...then poof- you get stereotypes about meat heads and heavy lifting d-bags.

the article I posted sampled thirty-three PF's and also reviewed their corporate policy.

and my comment was made in jest to a gif that someone posted....wow, some of you people take things way too seriously and literally on here..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options

Sure, I think it's perfectly understandable to be somewhat insecure about stepping into a gym for the first time and that Planet Fitness has displayed marketing genius to capture this very large market.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm in on the not understanding how pizza is fattening when eaten as a part of a complete diet. Some people eat a high fat diet to account for other macros they have to keep lower. I'm one of those people. I need my macros to total 100%. I'm diabetic and have problems with my kidneys so the carbs and protein must remain moderate or low. The extra has to come from fat.

I eat pizza, and then take a walk afterwards to help use up some of that extra glucose floating around. I probably have pizza twice a month. I don't know if my PF has pizza or bagels because I've never personally seen anything other than the tootsie rolls there.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    this is what it seems people think when they hear PF, nothing about personal responsibility

https://youtu.be/brQYPCYvtwU
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Classifying pizza as "bad" food is a sign of an eating disorder.

That's a tremendous exaggeration, but even if it were true... I explicitly said that it's okay in strict moderation, even as I stress that it's tremendously fattening. In fact, I had a small amount of pizza for lunch today, keeping my selection relatively lean.

There is nothing wrong with emphasizing that pizza is very fattening. Reality is not going to change itself just to assuage someone's tender sensibilities.

<---- eats pizza almost daily. Deadlifts double his bodyweight multiple times per week. Clearly a fatty.
  • DrPizza
    DrPizza Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pizza is good. It's one of the only food items that contains every major food group.

The Doctor has spoken.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Back from my very awesome planet fitness workout with all the "fatties, skinnies and old people". Deadlifted and overhead pressed right in view of the desk on purpose. Grunted for good measure. Got a thumbs up and good job praise on the way out the door. Someday I am going to own a pair of yoga pants that say '*kitten* crafted by Planet Fitness'.

Love love love my gym.

Nanny nanny boo boo stick her head in doo doo
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Back from my very awesome planet fitness workout with all the "fatties, skinnies and old people". Deadlifted and overhead pressed right in view of the desk on purpose. Grunted for good measure. Got a thumbs up and good job praise on the way out the door. Someday I am going to own a pair of yoga pants that say '*kitten* crafted by Planet Fitness'.

Love love love my gym.

Nanny nanny boo boo stick her head in doo doo

so just like any other gym ..

and deadlifting in the smith does not count ...

• DrPizza
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Deadlifting in the smith machine does not count...if you're prepping for a powerlifting meet. But if you're just going for general health and wellness, let the woman deadlift however she'd like.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DrPizza wrote: »

[/quote]

Deadlifting in the smith machine does not count...if you're prepping for a powerlifting meet. But if you're just going for general health and wellness, let the woman deadlift however she'd like.[/quote]

I am going with a no on that one as you would not be engaging stabilizer muscles...but feel free to correct me...
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Deadlifting with free weights. I only use the Smith for weighted squats.

You make lots of dumb assumptions about people.
  • DrPizza
    Options

I am going with a no on that one as you would not be engaging stabilizer muscles...but feel free to correct me...[/quote]

You are correct in she won't be activating her stabilizer muscles optimally but that doesn't particularly matter as long as she is still trying to do a lift and get stronger and healthier.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Earlier you posted that I wasn't allowed to do it at all at PF. Now you think I can but not to your standard. Which is it?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Earlier you posted that I wasn't allowed to do it at all at PF. Now you think I can but not to your standard. Which is it?

Not taking sides in the debate...but the fact that your particular Planet Fitness goes against their stated corporate policy isn't a particularly strong argument in favor of the brand.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Not taking sides in the debate...but the fact that your particular Planet Fitness goes against their stated corporate policy isn't a particularly strong argument in favor of the brand.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. My PF taught me how to do it. And the other location I go to has never said one word about how I was working out.
  • greg88rosen
    greg88rosen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Honest question,
    Does the lunk alarm actually exist?