Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks, kah68. I have the Flex so no display.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Rough start to my day, but luckily the day did get better. After a late night of football, I was ready to crash last night. I’m up at 5:45 and got to work at 7. Cyrus calls at 7:20 and can’t find his glasses anywhere. Sure enough they got thrown in my purse last night before the game. I got home by 7:50, dropped off the glasses and didn’t get back until 8:40. My 7 miles took 40 minutes due to the hour. This is why I go in at 7 and get there in 15 minutes. Sigh. Other than that the day was fine. Cyrus has practice tonight so I plan on walking the track. I’ve got to get moving!!!

I’m glad folks liked the article. It was right on point about having a support system, which is exactly what this thread is all about.

@Shamrock Shuffle participants – I’m registered. Can’t wait to see everyone!! My goal is going to be to run the whole thing. I can do it!!!

@lauriek70 – I’m glad you had a nice visit with your cousins and got a nice walk in too. You needed that!!

@jnfer98 – So did you just boil your cauliflower and mash? I’ve tried it once, but they just didn’t quite turn out right. How can I mess that up??!! LOL!!

@Gointd12 – Well, I’m glad you were able to enjoy your massage and facial, but what in the world was your niece thinking??

• jnfer98
    jnfer98 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @susan2396 So I cheated a bit. Green Giant makes something called "cauliflower crumbles" which I cooked in the microwave (steams in the bag). I then dumped everything (milk and a little butter, salt and pepper) into the blender and blended until smooth. Next time I'll mash them by hand because they got too airy in the blender. I think they need some chunkyness to mimic the real thing. They were delicious though! Definitely worth trying again
  • kaba100
    kaba100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm new to mfp and looking to make connections. I have about 100lb to loose. I've started tracking and walking everyday. I'm in a 12 week challenge and really want to succeed !
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Susan and @jnfer98~I make "mashed cauliflower" often but I do use fresh cauliflower. I chop it into florets and then steam in microwave until they are fork tender. While that is cooking I saute one clove of garlic in 1T of olive oil, just until the garlic is fragrant. I add half of the cauliflower to my food processor and blend on high, then add the rest of the cauliflower (one at a time thru the food chute, then pulse) until creamy. Add garlic, 1/4C grated Parmesan, 1T reduced-fat cream cheese, 1/2tsp salt, and 1/8tsp black pepper and blend. It seems like a lot of steps, but it doesn't take long and they come out perfect every time. If I have chives around I'll chop up a tablespoon or so and sprinkle on top. So, so tasty. :wink:

I keep looking for those cauliflower crumbles, I want to use them to make pizza crust.

@Susan~I hear you on the commute, it kills me every morning/afternoon. I go to work really early too but no matter what I do, its a 30-45 minute commute on a good day. :anguished:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm still here and keeping up with reading the thread, but not much time for personals. Grading is killing me right now.

@susan-- I'm in the same boat right now. There is construction on the road right outside our HS, so I have to leave about a half hour earlier than last year if I want to beat the traffic.

@jnfer-- I don't really like potatoes (unless they are sweet potatoes), but your talk about the mashed cauliflower makes me want to try them. Thanks for the idea!

@tracy-- Sorry your niece ruined her spa day by bringing the kids--you're right, she should have known better. Glad she didn't ruin your day though.

@teri-- congrats on moving into the 230s!!

@laurie-- glad things are going well for your father. You guys were due for a good development with his care.

@robin-- have you started your care-giver job yet?

@Shamrock Shufflers-- I'm also all signed up for the race. Now I just need to get back to running again--it's been a few weeks. :blush:

Hello to kaye, lori, kelley and everyone else!! Sorry I didn't get to you tonight.

AFM--Still congested, but now I'm also kind of itchy which makes me suspect it IS just allergies rather than a cold. I used up all the Benadryl on Gunner, so I will need to go buy some more and see if that helps more than the Sudafed.

I'm back to logging my food. Yesterday I was under a bit--today a bit over, but at least I'm logging everything. It's definitely helping me stay on track more.

I spent the weekend grading F451 essays and AP analyses. Finally finished them all today, so I've moved on to the F451 tests--halfway done. Below is the list of what I need to finish by Monday. Totally doable if I keep chipping away at it everyday.

Tuesday Goals:
    1. 30/60 F451 Tests
    2. x/15 Speech tests
    3. x/40 AP journals
    4. x/40 AP essays
  • edlong1121
    edlong1121 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm Emily. I'm from Tennessee and I'm 30yrs old. I have a one year old and I am a professor. I easily have 100lbs to lose and I'm just beginning. How did you all get started and not quit 2-3 days later?
  • faithangelcp
    faithangelcp Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    HELP..... Feel like I'm at my wits end with trying to be healthy, I've gained 20 pound...need some folks to keep me accountable. Started an appetite suppressant but I'm having trouble staying consistent. I feel like I'm always stressed with work with nothing else to do with my life. Recently lost a child (6 moths ago) but I've been coping well. No depression, don't feel like been eating myself crazy. Nevertheless, the scale keeps going up. I'm trying to write down everything now so I can figure out what is really up!!!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish? My ankle would get better. I'm really ready to get focused on my exercise and make it a daily routine, but this ankle pain has got to go. The saying "No pain. No gain." is BS. I'm in pain and there is no gain right now. LOL! Last night I pushed myself too hard. I had to make a grown-up decision and not extend my membership with my little studio gym. While I really enjoyed it and the people, I just can't afford it. The studio was set-up like small group personal training. I've also realized I need to push myself to get my heart rate up and keep it going if I want to see results. While Cyrus was at practice, I walked the track than did 10 minutes of bleachers. I really felt good and was totally drenched. Unfortunately, I could barely walk and put pressure on my foot. While I'm sitting at my desk ALL day, I'm going to try and roll it over a bottle of water and keep stretching it out. Plus, I'm going to turn my membership back on at LA Fitness (much cheaper) and start using the pool again too. This will help so I'm not putting as much pressure on my foot until it gets better. Food choices were fine so I think I've finally got that on track it's just the exercise now.

@jnfer98 & @kah68 (Kelly) - Thanks for the tips on the cauliflower. I think my putting it in the food processor and making it creamier will help. Mine was still too crumbly and I think it was a texture thing for me. It tasted OK, but I didn't like the texture. I'm going to give it a try again though. Great alternative to potatoes!!

@kaba100 - Welcome! This thread is great and the only group I follow on MFP. Some folks have been on here 4+ years and still support each other. It's awesome! Good luck and a 12-week challenge is a great way to jump start your journey to a new you!!

@skinnyjeanzbound (Karen) - Your poor grading has just begun. How are your students so far? Do you have some good classes? I struggle with Cyrus often between allergies vs. cold and what medicine to give him. Hope you start feeling better!!

@edlong1121 - Welcome! We're neighbors. I'm down in Georgia (northern suburb of Atlanta called Alpharetta). What do you teach? We have quite a few teachers in this group. If I can give any advice, it's not going to happen overnight. Baby steps. If you get off track, brush yourself off and get right back on tomorrow. I started following MFP 3 years ago, which I can't believe it's been that long. I was down 50 lbs at one point and gained it all back. I'm back down 33 lbs and just keep chugging along. Life happens. If it wasn't for this group, I would have gained and kept gaining, but they are always here to keep me motivated. Try to check in daily if you can or at least every other day. Accountability is key. I posted an article at the top of this thread and one of the key learnings was "Finding people to share your journey." This thread is exactly for that.

@faithangelcp - Welcome! Like I wrote to edlong1121, this group is so supportive. Many of us have been on here a while and are not going anywhere. We're here to support each other. Hugs to you.

• kah68
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @edlong1121 and @faithangelcp~You both happened upon a great forum for support. I’ve been posting here since 2012; have made some great friends along the way. Check back often to get the most out of this thread and so we can get to know you. The best advice I ever received was to start off slow, change one thing then when it becomes a habit change something else. Also, writing everything down can be eye-opening. Hang in there, you got this—baby steps.

@Susan~Is this the same pain from before or is this new? You could try an ankle brace and see if that gives you some relief—remember to stretch your calves. Freeze the water bottle and then roll it, should help. Most of all, don’t overdo it. :wink: I think walking the track and the bleachers while waiting for Cyrus to get out of practice was a great way to spend your time.

@Karen~Your grading doesn’t look too bad so far, I hope you’re able to stay on top of it. I’m sorry you’re still sniffly—have you tried Mucinex? That stuff works miracles for congestion. Allergens are so bad here right now.

@MyShamrockShufflepeeps~Its such a short flight from Dallas to Chicago that I hope to at least come for the weekend, not sure my ortho is going to let me do the run though—I won’t be 6 months post-op yet and his timeline is 6-12 months. I’ll be a great cheerleader though and it will be nice to have a long weekend to visit in person. :smile:
  • Terri70
    Options
    I'm having such a hard time staying on plan. I do really good during the day but dinner time comes and it's out the window. Last night I got hungry and couldn't stop myself. I am so disappointed in myself!
  • sbmcm
    sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    edlong1121 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm Emily. I'm from Tennessee and I'm 30yrs old. I have a one year old and I am a professor. I easily have 100lbs to lose and I'm just beginning. How did you all get started and not quit 2-3 days later?

Hi Emily, I'm Sara. I'm 36, also from Tennessee, and also have more than 100 lbs. to lose. I started out by doing Weight Watchers at work for 3 months, which helped me lose 20 lbs. The part that helped me more than anything, though, was the support system with the others involved. Just having someone there to say "Hey, we're still doing this..." when I'd drift away from my new habits. I ended up leaving Weight Watchers just because I didn't quite care for the points system in comparison to counting calories. I'm finding, though, that the community here at MFP works much the same way in terms of a support system if you put yourself out there and meet people.
  • sbmcm
    sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Terri70 wrote: »
    I'm having such a hard time staying on plan. I do really good during the day but dinner time comes and it's out the window. Last night I got hungry and couldn't stop myself. I am so disappointed in myself!

The same thing happens to me sometimes. I tend to beat myself up afterwards, but lately I've tried to go into fix-it mode and try to figure out why it's happening. I finally realized my dinner binges always happened after I'd had very few calories leading up to it, so I started keeping protein snacks (cubes of cheese, meat and nuts, portioned out to ~190 calories combined) and having that right before I leave work, or about 1-1.5 hours before dinner. It has really helped me.
  • kah68
    Options
    @Terri70~How long between lunch/dinner? Are you allowing yourself snacks? Its important to have healthy stuff around for snacking between meals--especially while preparing meals, so you don't find yourself grazing on unhealthy stuff while you wait it out. Don't be disappointed in yourself, its not really a matter of slipping but maybe a matter of not being prepared. So have some healthy stuff around, much like @sbmcm suggested--nuts, seeds, string cheese, hard-boiled eggs, turkey jerky, etc. Remember too to make room in your plan for stuff you enjoy, depriving yourself can lead to binges.
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wednesday wish - when I pick a lane at the pool and start doing laps that people would recognize that and stay out of my lane.

@susan2396 - That's good advice. How many pieces of home gym end up piled with crap? I'm guessing a lot. Trying to do it solo is such a fast way to fail.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Great American Pot Pie Day!
    Always on September 23rd. Great American Pot Pie Day celebrates an American creation that has been around for decades to warm us from the inside out, the Pot Pie. Pot pies are the American answer to British meat pies.
    This holiday was created in 2002 by Marie Callender's, a licensed brand of ConAgra Foods. That year, they made a donation for each of their pot pies that were sold during the holiday's date. Originally, it was intended that this holiday be celebrated on the first day of Fall, which in 2002 fell on September 23rd. Though, it appears the September 23rd date for this holiday has stuck as references going back as early as 2007 quote this holiday's date as September 23rd.

If we try to see something positive in everything we do, life won't necessarily become easier but it becomes more valuable. ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

Tom
  • edlong1121
    edlong1121 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @susan2396 I am a nursing professor at a local college. I just recently left bedside nursing and am now a full time teacher.

I am so glad I found you guys. I read an article the other day about having a weight loss support group and it spoke to me. I am still breastfeeding my daughter, and if I hadn't had my BFing support group, I would have quit long ago.

It is time to change my relationship with food. I eat for sport, I love picking apart the flavors and critiquing the meal. I also preemptively eat. For example, I won't be hungry, but I'll be running errands, and grab food while I'm out just so I don't get hungry later. And, night time hunger gets me too. I'll be fine until I go to bed, and then my stomach starts growling.
  • Terri70
    Options
    edlong1121 wrote: »
    @susan2396 I am a nursing professor at a local college. I just recently left bedside nursing and am now a full time teacher.

I am so glad I found you guys. I read an article the other day about having a weight loss support group and it spoke to me. I am still breastfeeding my daughter, and if I hadn't had my BFing support group, I would have quit long ago.

It is time to change my relationship with food. I eat for sport, I love picking apart the flavors and critiquing the meal. I also preemptively eat. For example, I won't be hungry, but I'll be running errands, and grab food while I'm out just so I don't get hungry later. And, night time hunger gets me too. I'll be fine until I go to bed, and then my stomach starts growling.

Dinner time is the worst time for me. I know how you feel.
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good day, everyone! So glad this thread is still going...I posted here semi-regularly some years back when I joined MFP. Can't believe I've been a member since 2012! If only I'd kept at it, I would be at my goal by now... oh well! So, I lost thirty pounds and have gained it all back just about. To introduce myself, I'm 39...will be 40 in November. Married for 16 years and have three teen sons 16, 15, and 12. And we live in Chicago. I work as an executive assistant for the University of Chicago.

Hoping to find success this time around. It's great to reconnect with folks on the same journey. Good luck and best wishes everybody!
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    How did I never realize guacamole would be so much better on my sandwich then mayo and cheese. Think I found a new favorite for awhile. Have a great day everyonee :)