September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    off to google- I like that thing- I had to go find a safety vest- I like the harness thing- i think I really want a flip belt b/c right now I use an arm band- and it's falling apart already (I've had it for what 5-6 weeks?)- well maybe more- whatever- it's falling apart- it's barely going to survive 12 weeks of training for this half.
    But I like the harness thing- it's full reflection- and hi-vis is SO important. It always scares me when people say "I am nervous about running- so I dress all in black and run at night"

I've used it 3 times now and I like it quite a bit. The pocket won't fit your phone, but it will hold a small flashlight (I have a mile of dark wood to run through on my 8.5 mile run), goo, key, whatever. The bottom strap which looks like it should go around your waist actually rides higher...maybe an inch below my sternum. Seemed weird at first but when I wore it along with a hydration belt I was grateful because the two didn't fight each other during my run.

Last night when I ran in my compression shorts I ended up taking off my shirt because of the heat but left the harness on. I kind of felt like I was Sean Connery in Zardoz after that (don't Google it...you can't unsee that image), but thankfully it dark out.

oh that's a bummer- I need a pocket for my giant phone- I don't have a watch- so I use my phone for my GPS/Splits etc etc.

I can't run in my compression shorts- only b/c they are to short (like 4-6" inseam) which means my legs just get turned into ground beef- I run in 'fitted capris'- so mostly long compression pants. I love it- best thing ever.

I won't google- although I do love Sean Connery LMAO
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    9/1 - 3.5 miles - way too many pushes on the snooze this morning! :smiley:
    9/2 - rest day walked the doggie instead
    9/3 - 5.1 miles
    9/4 - 10 miles last 2 were HOT HUMID and MISERABLE LOL
    9/5 - rest day - cross country meet - Skip did great 24th in her division 23:37 no where near a PR but it was so hot and humid you could hardly stand to be out there to watch let alone run. Proud of my girl.
    9/6 - 5.1 miles
    9/7 - 5.2 miles of trail running - OMG we had so much fun!!! Skip wanted to practice trail running for her meets and folks gave me some great recommendations of trails to run. We went out this morning and had a blast. The first trail was marked as easy/difficult so it was some easy packed dirt and some gravel with harder roots and rocks to climb. The second was difficult and some parts were about 2' wide and quite a climb (for me LOL). We loved it!
    9/8 - 5.1 miles
    9/9 - 5.5 miles
    9/10 - 7.2 miles nice slow pace this morning, just wanted to get the miles in. Still pretty humid (97%) but the temp was 69 so it was nice. Annoying little doggie chased me this morning and nipped at my heels, honestly people it's dark out keep your doggies inside so they don't get run over.
    9/11 - 5.3 miles - cool 64 but humid 100% morning, but nice weather for a run
    9/12 - xc meet rest day
    9/13 - 2 miles - was going to rest, but did 2 miles at the lake to move my legs
    9/14 - 6.2 miles - good night 46 degrees in Alabama in September who would have thought it!
    9/15 - 5.4 miles
    9/16 - rest day
    9/17 - 8 miles - started off ugly and then got great and felt good. Negative splits the whole way...that never happens :smile:
    9/18 - 5.6 miles
    9/19 - XC meet - rest day
    9/20 - 10 miles felt good the whole run (that never happens) every mile under 11 mins most were around 10:34 the last was 9:56 giving me a 10:33 overall pace. I'd have to check but that has to be my best 10 miler. Taking Skip to see US Women's World Cup team play Haiti this afternoon. Can't wait.
    9/21 - 5.2 miles in the rain - well drizzly
    9/22 - 5.2 miles
    9/23 - rest day
    9/24 - 7 miles
    9/25 - 5.1 miles

111.7 of 120 miles

3yo8nxev1ekf.jpg
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

Question for anyone: I'm looking for an interesting marathon training program that isn't a first marathon program (I know I can do that already) but has some focus on speed development. I want to push myself some and use that work to lay the ground work for a faster half and full marathon outcome and support my plans to do trail races ranging from 25 to 50km.

Aside from some unplanned downtime I've been running 60 - 90km a week since June without issues. I can do more. I can do less too. :smile:

Any thoughts?

Maybe check out the intermediate or advanced Hal Higdon plans? I based my schedule on the advance HH. But to be fair, I pretty much totally made up my own schedule this go-around. I didn't want to start a plan with my LRs being back to 8-10 miles because that's what my midweek runs are. So I'm not a ton of help in pointing you to the right direction. I mostly just browsed other plans and designed my own so I could keep my mileage between 45 and 60 mpw and adjust for my schedule and the types of workouts I wanted to incorporate, so maybe you could do the same?

Yeah, this is pretty much what I had to do. Unless you want to hire a coach to help you with a personalized plan you are stuck with the Hal Hidgeon type of plans which were designed for a generalized audience. None of them will fit you exactly. You either have to customize it yourself or hire a coach to do it for you. I think you are smart enough to come up with your own customized plan. I hear how you respond to others on the forums.

You have to identify your own weaknesses and be able to add in the workouts that are going to address those weaknesses.
  • AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Sept 25 - 2.89
    I don't think I am going to hit my goal of 40 as of next Wed, but I sure did have fun trying!
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    9/2 - 3.36 miles
    9/4 - 3.30 miles
    9/5 - 7 miles
    9/7 - 3.38 miles
    9/10 - 3.0 miles
    9/13 - 8.12 miles
    9/16 - 3.25 miles
    9/18 - 3.27 miles
    9/19 - 9.54 miles
    9/21 - 3 miles
    9/23 - 3.28 miles
    9/25 - 3.29 miles

OMG, will the runs get better ever again? Everything hurt today - my ITB was starting to pull, my ankle, my hip, I'm a mess. I think I need new sneakers, these are the same ones I trained for my last half for, so probably 300 miles on them now.

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wzzWdl2/exercise.png [\img][/img]
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Ran 312 miles of my 300 mile goal as of date. There is another 5 days left, so I probably will rack up another 60 or so miles. :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @zekela - awesome job!!!
    @7lenny7 - glad the boy is feeling better, their team sounds awesome. Poor Kody, we came home the other night to be same Macy, she hasn't had an accident in the house in 3.5 years poor baby.
    @shanaber I love some jug handles!
    @snha I like free beer! You need to be like Skip she talks to everyone at a race. I ran 2 races while she was out of town and everyone was like "where's Skip?".
    @rogue024 you are thisclose! Don't you hate when you don't realize that and you look at your ticker and go UGH! and slap yourself in the forehead
    @5beautifuldays good luck on the 10K you'll rock it
    @juliet3455 just the name of that race scares me
    @jorocka speaking of scared I hear people say that too, I wear black when I run at 4:00 am...ugh? Death wish?
    @patrikc333 enjoy the visit with Dad. Hate the story on the rape, that is so scary. A friend told me last night his friend was mugged at our local outdoor mall yesterday at 1:00 in the afternoon. The world is screwed up

Everyone racing this weekend have a great race and I can't wait to hear about them !
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    But to be fair, I pretty much totally made up my own schedule this go-around. [...] I mostly just browsed other plans and designed my own so I could keep my mileage between 45 and 60 mpw and adjust for my schedule and the types of workouts I wanted to incorporate, so maybe you could do the same?

Yeah, this is pretty much what I had to do. [...] come up with your own customized plan. [...] You have to identify your own weaknesses and be able to add in the workouts that are going to address those weaknesses.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The way I'm wired, there is more probably more chance of me internalizing and following something I work up myself.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @jorocka - check out the "running buddy" for your phone. I've had the same one almost a year now. They sell it in all sizes. As long as your shorts/leggings are not too loose it holds the phone very well. I noticed it has gotten kind of stinky and I don't know if it can be washed. So I just spray it with some of my spray for athletic clothes and I put a few drops of some patchouli oil on it and it's fine. They can smell me coming!

I wear lots of lights in my 4:30-5:30am runs. My knuckle lights, my "LightGUIDE Rechargeable LED Waist Belt LightBAND", and I seem to pick up free lights at the 5Ks for wrist that I throw on until they die out. But I know what you mean - the HS kids walk to the bus stop at 6:30 when I'm driving out of my neighborhood and they walk in the street in dark clothes. Scares the bejeezes out of me every time!

@stoshew71 - after you qualify and run Boston you can write up your training plan! We'd all be in!

@7lenny7 - I'm resisting the urge to google that. haha
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    September goal 65 miles

9/1 3.51
    9/2 3.35
    9/3 rest
    9/4 3.16
    9/5 life day
    9/6 6.19
    9/7 a "I'm too darned lazy to move a muscle" day
    9/8 snokeling 3 hours
    9/9 3.15
    9/10 3.34
    9/11 3.35
    9/12 rest
    9/13 Hilo Bay 5k: 3.12, 2nd place in my AG
    9/14 3.3
    9/15 rest
    9/16 6.06
    9/17 lazy
    9/18 3.48
    9/19 4.01
    9/20 1 hour of surreal snorkeling
    9/21 3.52
    9/22 6.30
    9/23 3.15
    9/24 Snorkel 2.5 hours Yellowtail Coris
    gppf29s47q2y.png
    9/25 4.59

Total 63.58
    Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

CORIS.png 1003.4K
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have run twice since I last posted. A 5 mile and a 3 mile tonight. It's looking I will beat my goal for the month :)

exercise.png

Getting dark pretty early in the UK now :( But, if I run as soon as I get home at least I get to see the sunset! Looks like I will have to break out the Hi Viz like the rest of you guys. I did try to find a hi viz vest thing, that I see a lot of people wearing over their t-shirts, but the only one I found looked comicaly small on me. Kind of like a hi viz tie.

Why are sports clothes like 3 times smaller then regular clothes sizes?
  • GraceTheAwesome
    Options
    I'm in for 100! Let's do this
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 100! Let's do this

Welcome! :-)

• kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    9/25 -- 1.35mi
    Tomorrow I'm doing W4D3 and I've been going pretty hard all week so thought I'd do an easy stroll today.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Sep 01      5.2      5.2
    Sep 04      9.1     14.3
    Sep 05      3.7     18.0
    Sep 06      5.0     23.0
    Sep 07      3.7     26.7
    Sep 10      6.2     32.9
    Sep 12     10.6     43.5
    Sep 13      5.0     48.5
    Sep 15      5.0     53.5
    Sep 17      5.0     58.5
    Sep 19      8.0     66.5
    Sep 21      5.0     71.5
    Sep 23      6.2     77.7
    Sep 25      5.0     82.7      

exercise.png
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm a little behind in reading posts, so I'm jumping to the end to post my run for today but I'll come back later and read everything I've missed.

5.4 mile run in today. Planned for 5 miles but misjudged where I should turn around so I was about 3/4 of a mile from home when I hit 5 miles. So I decided to run up to the next light, which happened to be about 0.4 miles away and then walked the rest as a cool down.

Now I'm going to shower and change and go with a friend to a Dutch amusement park - yes you read that right, a Dutch amusement park located just outside Sasebo, Japan. Should be interesting.

exercise.png

ETA: I saw someone asked about where we all live. I'm currently in Sasebo, Japan. I'm American - grew up half in WA and half in CA. Joined the Navy after college and have lived several places since. This is my first time being stationed overseas and so far I love it - except when I get confused about the time difference between here and back home ;)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for the sample week :smile:
    @JoRocka If you are a weirdo then so am I. The world needs more weirdos.
    @7lenny7 Looking forward to your 5K post race report! Good luck!
    @GraceTheAwesome Welcome to the gang! There'll be a new thread in October, join us there too!

Didn't have a good sleep at all so cut my run short and did some impromptu farting, er, fartleks along the way. Running faster feels funny after so many slow miles this year, but funny good. :smile:

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		213.50 km
    Goal:			322 km / 200 miles (66% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Sep 25 11.66 km Farting around with fartleks on back of a poor sleep ugh
    Sep 24 14.50 km Leg speed development w/ LHR run
    Sep 23 -----    No run, still feeling it
    Sep 22 -----    No run, blood donation day
    Sep 21 13.00 km Lake run + misc
    Sep 20 33.15 km First 20 miler since I started running last fall
    Sep 19 16.28 km First rainy run of the "fall"
    Sep 18 -----    Rest day, GTD day
    Sep 17 14.81 km Midnight run down to zee seawall in the vazees
    Sep 16 10.05 km Pickin' up pace on trail run around the lake
    Sep 15 11.93 km Easy pace, river run and a few laps with soccer team at track
    Sep 14 -----    Rest day
    Sep 13 12.86 km Up up up trail run
    Sep 12 15.04 km MAF HR, somewhat hilly, felt good
    Sep 11 07.63 km Recovery run / Date run in the forest
    Sep 10 10.99 km Dead flat run around seawall
    Sep 09 -----    Rest day
    Sep 08 04.68 km Pushing it on the track 3x1km. I hate the track.
    Sep 07 07.82 km Exploring a different trail to the dog beach
    Sep 06 21.21 km Running gentle hills around the lake, felt great save for blisters
    Sep 05 -----    Life break, coaching soccer 
    Sep 04 07.90 km UBC forest - Date Run Friday!
    Sep 03 -----    More of same
    Sep 02 -----    More of same
    Sep 01 -----    Life break, running an evacuation centre

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the Long Winded Post, still on a race high,

At 11:00am I Managed to get the afternoon off work. 11:01 Registered for the Roots and Ruts 10km Trail Race.
    http://racepro.ca/rootsandrutsrun/ ( I called it Rocks, Roots and Ruts in my previous post-me bad )
    Drove for 2 hours to reach Grande Prairie, AB. Checked in at the Tent at the start area and grabbed my Bling Bag. Unfortunately being I was a late entry all they had were Medium Sugoi Shirts. Managed to Trade up to a Large with a Lady who was swimming in her shirt. Now just need to trade up to an XL as they fit a little small.
    And yes it was Just Stupid Fun. The Trails were covered in the first batch of leaves to fall, lots of tree roots crossing at weird angles and weird little stumps sticking up. ( they had Spray Painted them all a Brilliant Orange - Green or Blue would have been better due to the Orange leaves ). No Mud hazards as it has been a dry fall. At the 4 km mark they had some trees blow down overnight. They cleaned them up and 1 more fell over just before the start, so a Hurdle now became part of the race.
    Really only my 3rd truly "Organized Race" ( 322 Total Runners with Official Times ) and my second one with chip timing. 01:00:06.35 Placed 23 out of 108 in the 10km race ( actual distance per Strava/Map My Run = 10.8km ) and 2/6 in my age group. I was shocked because at the start I got trapped a little bit to far back in the pack and some 5km walkers and 5km Family runners were in the middle of the pack so lots of people to pass. I didn't realize it until the end of the race that I only had 2 people pass me. Based on my 6:02 pace per Km only 60 people had better pace times across all three distances.
    Being I live in a major River Valley and run hills to get to flat land I absolutely Killed the Hills and did most of my pass's on the Hills or just over the Hills when People would be slowed down. Once I got past the 2km mark most of the Crowd was behind me then the slow catch up and pass process began without going to hard that I would Bonk out. racepro.ca/races/rootsandruts/2015oa_10.txt.

9/1 - 0 - 0 - 140 km goal
    9/3 - 6 km - 6 - 134 km to go
    9/4 - 6 km - 12 - 128 km to go
    9/7 - 7.4 km - 19.4 - 120.6 km to go
    9/12 - 11.4 km - 30.8 - 109.2 km to go
    9/13 - 6.5 km - 37.3 - 102.7 km to go
    9/14 - 6.8 km - 44.1 - 95.9 km to go
    9/16 - 8.2 km - 52.3 - 87.7 km to go
    9/18 - 10 km - 62.3 - 77.7 km to go
    9/19 - 6.8 km - 69.1 - 70.9 km to go
    9/20 – 17 km – 86.1 – 53.9 km to go
    9/22 - 10.5 km – 96.6 – 43.4 km to go
    9/23 – 5.5 km – 102.1 – 37.9 km to go
    9/24 – 5.7 km – 107.8 – 32.2 km to go
    9/25 – 10.8 km – 118.6 – 21.4 km to go

exercise.png

Signs that "You might be an addicted Runner"
    1) $60.00 Entry Fee
    2) 2 hr Drive to Event Location
    3) 1 hr Event
    4) 2 hrs Standing around at Post Event Chilli Supper/Presentations
    5) 2 hrs Drive back Home ( Total Time = 7 hrs )
    6) Up until 1:20 the next day posting ( Bragging ) about the event.
    7) People recognize you but you have no clue who they are or what event you met them at.
    8) Ecstatic with a 23 place finish and a shirt that is to small.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I just cringe- seriously- I drive down the road and people pop up and I'm like dude- please - wear something else- you're scaring me!!!
    I agree - the other night running on the trails the number of people who had no lights or Dark Black Clothing and were popping up around corners was not fun.