Short ladies, what's your daily calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• lps1dragonfly
    lps1dragonfly Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" I'm at 1440 to lose a half pound a week. I'm actually maintaining on this but I do tend to go over on my calories frequently. I am not in the good habits of avoiding those so tasty but not good for you foods.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know I'll get crap from the 'experts' here but I'm 52, 5'3" and can eat a lot for 900 Cals, 40 Carbs, 30 Fibers & 30 Fats. Going through the big 'M' changed ALL of my eating habits and these numbers finally moved the scale. The 1200, 1400 just didn't work for me.... my 2 cents.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    JEE2015 wrote: »
    I know I'll get crap from the 'experts' here but I'm 52, 5'3" and can eat a lot for 900 Cals, 40 Carbs, 30 Fibers & 30 Fats. Going through the big 'M' changed ALL of my eating habits and these numbers finally moved the scale. The 1200, 1400 just didn't work for me.... my 2 cents.

Nor me. I shoot for 1000.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" high body fat % 40+ 158 lbs (as of last week) 37 years old and set it to 1,200 for sedentary (office job). I usually eat anywhere between 1,000-1,300 calories. I do exercise as much as I can, at least 10,000 steps a day and I lift light weights a few days a week. I bank my exercise calories for a maintenance day on Saturday. So far in September I've lost a total of 7 lbs so the weight is coming off, but no changes in how my clothes fit yet.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0, keeping it at 1200 calories plus half my exercise calories (I've been kicking butt at the gym the past month so I normally eat an average of 1500 daily)
    I've been steadily losing weight, down 6.5 pounds since joining MFP one month ago. I find that I don't get very hungry on days I work out a lot (this is due to protein load before and after workouts) so 1200 a day is working beautifully for me. I do wish I was taller though.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4. Mfp requires me to eat 1600 cal per day to lose 0.5lb/week. (without exercise)
  • spunkypug100
    spunkypug100 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So I posted yesterday that I changed my calorie intake to 1350 and eating most of my exercise cals from 1200 and eating very little of my exercise cals. At the beginning of this week to see if I'd actually start losing more weight (5'2, 189lbs).
    Well.. I lost 2.2lbs this week! That's the biggest loss I've had since I started almost a month ago. The funny part is that I have it set to lose 1.5lbs. When I had it to lose 2lbs I'd only lose like .5-1lb. I'm so happy that something is finally working!

Awesome!

lezerlies wrote: »
    I'm 5'4, 154 lbs and have it set to 1490 calories. I had to adjust it manually, it tried to put me on 1200 a day but I can't go that low, I start getting hangry and I tend to binge eat when I get hangry enough, which is counter productive. I'm steadily losing at the 1450 setting.

This is me! I would rather lose it slow then go on a binge.
  • SharlyceJade
    SharlyceJade Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 25, 5'2" and presently 242lbs. MFP suggessted 1200 which I've stuck to for 34 days so far. Have already lost 17lbs from just eating correctly :smiley:
  • bryanbecca30
    bryanbecca30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5', I started at 252lbs on mfp I've pretty active with going to the gym 6 days a week taking a weight lifting class and martial arts class twice a week and my 2 year old. My calorie goal is anywhere from 1000-1200 with fasting and day a week. I've lost 17lbs in 6 weeks. I gave a fitbit so it calculates my activities.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    5'4, 159. 1226 calories for 2 pounds a week. I've lost 48 pounds, 39 of those by counting calories. I don't use MFP's calculator, I use http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=28&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=4&cpound=159&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.55&printit=0&x=52&y=14
  • lartishs
    lartishs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft3 and 64.5kg and age 53. I have been on 1300 cal a day for 8 weeks with a lose of 4 kg. I am a massage therapist and am very active. As from today I have upped my cals to 1500 a day. It will be interesting to see how the loses are now. I feel I haven't been having enough cals over the last. 2 months. I definitely don't want to slow my metobolism down. Hello all from nz
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Hear hear. I've never been overweight, but menopause, along with injuries that make me less active, has caused the weight to creep up. Even more fat has chosen to settle in places I hate and some new ones too. If I don't do something, I will be overweight. I'm 5'2" and if I told you my weight you might pooh-pooh me. But I don't carry it well. My body fat is also extremely high: over 29%.

Although it requires eating with care, I, too, can eat at 1,000 with little or no hunger. The problem is being disciplined and not giving in to emotional hunger and boredom, which weren't problems for me when I was young. I keep telling myself that I have to develop a different mindset. I will never be able to eat as I once did if I want to remain trim.

A couple of times a year, I go on a very short-term, extreme diet which helps me get on top of things, mentally and physically. I wish I could resolve to give up all added sugar, starchy carbs, and added fats -- I did that once for a couple of years as a self-dare when I was kid -- but today that would take incredible resolve. I've tried a few times and failed.

Would any short women who have to eat at about 1,000 to lose weight be interested in forming a group?

• Verdenal
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    5ft0. Age 39. 98lbs. Between 1000 to 1100 per day without excersise. Looking to lose a couple of pounds.

None of my business but, your weight is already low for your height.

That's a normal bmi for someone of her height. Lower than most people's but normal.

It's not all about the scales

It's also not always about the charts, which represent averages. Some women are classified as underweight on the charts, but are healthy. Until recently, I was one of them. You have to make your own judgments, and no, I am not promoting anorexia.

• Verdenal
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    5'4, 159. 1226 calories for 2 pounds a week. I've lost 48 pounds, 39 of those by counting calories. I don't use MFP's calculator, I use http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=28&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=4&cpound=159&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.55&printit=0&x=52&y=14

I think that calculator is quite accurate. It gave me 1232 for maintenance while being sedentary and 700-something to lose weight, also while sedentary.

I do walk some, but my activity is irregular, so I always use the lowest activity setting.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi, 5'2.5"/66 years old. I have MFP set for 1200 cals plus I eat back most of my exercise cals. I use a Fitbit to monitor calorie burns and I'm averaging 1500 - 2000 cals per day. I never have to actually eat only 1200 and I'd never go below that. I've lost 50 lbs over the last year and a half. I lift weights along with some cardio 3Xs per week and I'm active (walking) on non gym days. I started at 179 and I'm currently at 128; dropped from a US size 16 to a 2/4 Petite (because of the weight lifting).
  • medion21
    medion21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 5ft 2 and set to loose 2lb a week. I've put my self as inactive because I hate exercise . I want to change that though. ...that's why I've joined MFP. Oh yeah I'm on 1200....finding it hard to stick to that :/ xx
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Cerdenal;34096977"]

Hear hear. I've never been overweight, but menopause, along with injuries that make me less active, has caused the weight to creep up. Even more fat has chosen to settle in places I hate and some new ones too. If I don't do something, I will be overweight. I'm 5'2" and if I told you my weight you might pooh-pooh me. But I don't carry it well. My body fat is also extremely high: over 29%.

Although it requires eating with care, I, too, can eat at 1,000 with little or no hunger. The problem is being disciplined and not giving in to emotional hunger and boredom, which weren't problems for me when I was young. I keep telling myself that I have to develop a different mindset. I will never be able to eat as I once did if I want to remain trim.

A couple of times a year, I go on a very short-term, extreme diet which helps me get on top of things, mentally and physically. I wish I could resolve to give up all added sugar, starchy carbs, and added fats -- I did that once for a couple of years as a self-dare when I was kid -- but today that would take incredible resolve. I've tried a few times and failed.

Would any short women who have to eat at about 1,000 to lose weight be interested in forming a group?

[/quote]
    I dont know about special group other than it would possibly eliminate some of the ruder comments. So far I am able to remind myself that while 25 lbs. is huge to me, it's still short term to many I would have a different strategy if I had more to lose.

My approach is simple: 1000 cals. is actual food and then I throw on my coffee creamer cals. So I can see my other info. This program works fine at 1000 cals.

As for the insistence on weighing food etc, I have concerns for myself. I am obsessive enough as it is. That would make it worse for me. And 2 I must keep in mind that this program is a tool only. My willingness and rigorous honesty about what I am eating and why and accepting that I must commit to regular exercise is central to my success.

Not spreadsheets, not rigid rules, and definitely not focusing on other people and imagining that policing others is remotely positive.

One great benefit of being older is understanding finally that other people are different and that what works for me might not fit someone else. My days of having to be Right are over. It's such a pleasure to know....just share My experience. Let others play guru and learn the hard way that they aren't really helping anyone and it definitely isn't beneficial to themselves.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,042 Member
    Options
    medion21 wrote: »
    Hello. I'm 5ft 2 and set to loose 2lb a week. I've put my self as inactive because I hate exercise . I want to change that though. ...that's why I've joined MFP. Oh yeah I'm on 1200....finding it hard to stick to that :/ xx

Two thoughts:

One reads "I need to exercise; I hate exercise." on MFP a lot. I spent most of my life way too inactive. The reason I became active? I found something I love that involves activity. So, I suggest trying to think of it in terms of "fun ways I could be moving more" not The Dreaded Exercise.

Also, if it's hard to stick to 1200 . . . that "fun thing that involves movement" will buy you more calories to eat every day you do it. That may make it even easier to enjoy it!
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I net around 1200, but if I don't log exercise I can go up to between 1500 and 1800. I am pretty active.
  • sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.. 1350 and eating most, if not all, of my exercise cals. I'm trying this out this weeke to see if I lose. I'll know tomorrow at weigh in. I'm 189lbs and have been finding it impossible to lose. I started with 1200, sedentary to lose 2lbs a week to 1350, sedentary to lose 1lb. It's been an uphill battle.
    Hi, first time writing on here. I don't see many (if any) short ppl who weigh as much as me..i am 5'2 and 245lbs(goal is 140-150)..i just started on my weight loss journey. I am restricted to 1200 cals, which is very hard but i am starting to get used to it. Since I am classified as morbidly obese (yes, i know how could i let that happen, trust me it wasn't intentional more like I wasn't paying attention, I married, had children, got a job sitting 9 hours a day and then i stepped on the scale and went WTH! what have I done to myself after putting myself on the back burner for so long) I am set for losing 2lbs a week(or more, under doctors care). It goes something like this 60+ lbs to lose - 2lbs a week, 40lbs to lose-1.5 lbs a week, 20lbs - 1lb a week. any less and you should try for .5 lbs a week. This is just to maintain health and overall muscle. Hope that helps. Good luck on your journey.