What food do you avoid as its not worth the calories and/or fat content

Options

Replies

• brittanycoop9
    brittanycoop9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Evilbad wrote: »
    Those sugary coffee drinks that are really just dessert in a cup.

I don't usually get sweetened drinks... but I do love me a latte. Smoky espresso, with the slight sweetness from the steamed milk. So good. I haven't had a good one in a few months. I might need to make a trip to Sweet Eugene's.

I have stopped eating enchiladas. Temporarily. So much cheese. So tasty. I'd rather eat chicken tacos and feel full. I might need to treat myself next month. Go to Chuy's, have theveggie enchilada, and a cheese chile relleno, and grab a latte on the way back to the office. :)

Sweet Eugene's! Lots of studying done there when it seemed like I didn't have to worry about the calories in those coffees!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I found ways to work things in for example I skip salad dressings because things like salsa, plain greek yogurt and guacamole taste so much better in taco salad and I smash up doritos for extra crunch in the salad.

I was never a big donut person but I have noticed that in general baked goods don't tempt me I would honestly rather have a more nutritious snack but there are time when I crave a muffin so I go for it, allow the freedom of treats and find ways to work it in. The biggest thing here is they don't keep me full so I have to count them as excess calories.

I adjusted my coffee drinks, skinny and nonfat versions are usually just as tasty and I have my own espresso machine so no need to pay big bucks. Now the take out ones are usually bad day or special moment items.

Note on the PB2, I like it in smoothies but I don't think I'd ever use it in place of smooth and creamy PB if that helps.

Pop tarts have not left my life, they're minimal because they are addictive but they're just too darn good to say no to forever. But I did have to part with them until I learned their place. Mostly there are things I just lost the taste for along the way, other things came along that tasted better or gave me the same feeling that were much better for the mind and the body.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Orange juice
    Bagels
    Muffins

Fries - I will almost always substitute my fries for salad when eating out. The only time I don't is if I've been to the restaurant before and I KNOW they are going to be top notch. I've eaten too many soggy, limp fries from restaurants and it is simply not worth it.

I've just realized now, after 9 months of logging, that I gave up "handfuls" of raw almonds. I used to love them, but I never found they were worth the calories once I counted out a portion and I've never added them back in since switching to maintenance. My husband eats them everyday, so they're still in the house. Maybe I'll start eating them again!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice. I drink it from the small bathroom size ( 3oz ) paper cups. And sip it. Works great for me.
  • placidegirl
    placidegirl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found ways to work things in for example I skip salad dressings because things like salsa, plain greek yogurt and guacamole taste so much better in taco salad and I smash up doritos for extra crunch in the salad.

I was never a big donut person but I have noticed that in general baked goods don't tempt me I would honestly rather have a more nutritious snack but there are time when I crave a muffin so I go for it, allow the freedom of treats and find ways to work it in. The biggest thing here is they don't keep me full so I have to count them as excess calories.

I adjusted my coffee drinks, skinny and nonfat versions are usually just as tasty and I have my own espresso machine so no need to pay big bucks. Now the take out ones are usually bad day or special moment items.

Note on the PB2, I like it in smoothies but I don't think I'd ever use it in place of smooth and creamy PB if that helps.

Pop tarts have not left my life, they're minimal because they are addictive but they're just too darn good to say no to forever. But I did have to part with them until I learned their place. Mostly there are things I just lost the taste for along the way, other things came along that tasted better or gave me the same feeling that were much better for the mind and the body.

brilliant tips - love the sub out in the salads - definately going on my list !
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't like drinking my calories either. So no juicies, non diet sodas, milkshakes, etc.

Nothing else really. If I really want something I just try to fit it in my calories.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Only foods I do not want to eat
  • tdfantetti
    tdfantetti Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    kale. That stuff is nasty at any calorie content.

I used to hate kale too till I found a kale salad recipe made with olive oil, lemon juice and fresh parmesan cheese. Now I love it!
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    cheese =(
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Foods that are just 'meh' unless I'm eating it for a specific purpose. And even then, I'll look for an alternative.

Yeah, that pretty much covers it.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Drinking milk. I'd rather get my dairy/calcium through cheese or yogurt. I do have the occasional glass when I have peanut butter on toast though, and I still have half a cup in my cereal every morning. I just don't pour myself a cup when I'm thirsty. Not worth it for me! Juice is the same - I'd rather eat the fruit than drink the juice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    soda....i only have a soda every once in awhile...like maybe 3-5 per year...i used to drink 3-5 per day.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Pop Tarts. I love them but 400 calories for one pouch is crazy. I occasionally splurge and have them for a meal. I know I will be hungry though, LOL.

Do what I do and have one as a dessert at night.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Regular soda, juice, salad dressing / most condiments in general, foods that just taste bad in general

Milk isn't worth it on its own, but paired with some good cookies, it is :wink:
    I love Pop Tarts. I recently finished off a pack of pumpkin pie Pop Tarts that were just wonderful
  • markburnett70
    markburnett70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't drink anything but black coffee and water. I knew soda wasn't helping me, but I was shocked how many calories are in juice. And I can't eat Snyder's sourdough pretzels I guess. One would be worth the calories if I could just eat one, but it seems I can't have them in the house without eating them all.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes
    Evilbad wrote: »
    Those sugary coffee drinks that are really just dessert in a cup.
    segacs wrote: »
    Rice, pasta with cream sauce, french fries and other starchy side dishes have been cut *way* back. Also, I've cut out most of the "meh" or third-rate quality chocolate, cookies and chips, preferring to spend my calories on the really good, high-quality stuff.

These! Not worth the bother!
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like to eat my calories not drink them. Only exception is protein that I add a little frozen fruit to. Bread , I really don't miss it. Don't eat a lot of sweets except a junior size Wendy's frosty. That normally is enough for me when I have a sweet craving.
  • leslieroman98
    leslieroman98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter...I easily binge on it
  • jenniferplatter
    jenniferplatter Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cereal (more like a trigger food for me), cheese, nuts, trail mixes. A palmful of almonds isn't worth the 200 calories to me.
  • BrickFox
    BrickFox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Does Soda count? I'll never drink soda. I'd rather eat a cheeseburger than a glass of soda. At least I'm getting something out of it.