WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options
24ffiqhmneg5.jpg

Thanks to Heather, Gretchen Rubin, and Voltaire for this wonderful saying that has encouraged so many of us.

Welcome back to those of you who have been posting on this thread and welcome to those of you who are joining us now.

The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for September?
What goals and resolutions have you planned for October?

Please sign your post with your name or an alias and a location (general or specific) so we can get to know each other better.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy065.gif

September resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk an average of 15,000+ steps a day (about 13,000 due to my injury)
*drink 9 glasses of water a day (every day without fail)
*strength training twice a week (no strength training due to injury)
*15 minutes a day organizing photo files on computer and phone (not every day, but accomplished a lot)
* meditate for five minutes four or more days a week (even more than that)

October Resolutions
*walk an average of 13,000+ steps a day
*drink 9 glasses of water a day
*finish organizing photos and other files on computer)
*meditate for 5-10 minutes a day four or more days a week

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    Thx
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Thanx Barbie!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie!

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for keeping us going!

I had a very quiet day again, but with my class starting the 12th I'm sure that will not last!

DH is feeling much better now but Benny Beagle has a bad cough. He has always had some cough; the vet says it's a "sliding esophagus" that occurs frequently in Beagles, but the last week he has been really bad, actually keeping us up at night! The funny thing is that when he's out for a walk or excited because someone has come over, no cough! If he's coughing and you yell his name, he quits too. he's getting really hard of hearing so you have to yell! Maybe he's a hypochondriac, but we are taking him to the vet Saturday.

Well I see several people need some hugs so I am sending them your way. High fives to those who are celebrating.

I plan to try to increase my step goal to 9000 a day as my October goal. I haven't been getting enough steps lately because DH has been living in the basement while sick. But he's better now and out of his self-imposed isolation!

Take care all, Meg from Omaha
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie! :) Here's to a wonderful October for everyone!

Cheri NE Ohio
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Barbie, thanks for moving us along. I think you/we are allowed to obsess a bit over our own aches and pains but you are absolutely right that all we have to do is look around to realize just how blessed we are. Thanks for the words of encouragement on the line dancing. I’m not as discouraged as embarrassed but have no intention of giving up. When we do a dance that I can remember every step I’m so proud of myself. LOL But you are definitely my line dance inspiration. Thanks ((((Hugs))))

Pip, you know how much I love Yogi and that picture is so sweet. Nothin’ better for good sleep than a warm body across your lap. I love my fur babies so much and have a friend with a dog that she doesn’t like or enjoy in any way. She was talking about getting rid of it and felt bad. I ask if the dog gave her any joy and she said no. My advice was to find it a forever home where they wanted the dog and would love it and enjoy it. I have to believe the dog would have a better life.

Katla, thanks for my morning giggle, picturing you and DH climbing your ladder into bed each night. ROF Congrats on inviting your neighbors over. I think it does us good to step into the danger zone once in a while. My suggestion is to keep it simple and don’t stress yourself out about it. They will enjoy the evening no matter what you serve. Good for you!!!

Irish Terri, a huge CONGRATS for throwing stones. Oh eh, er, I mean breaking the 12 stone barrier. Wow I’d be dancing in the streets. I am so close to doing that but didn’t lose a pound this month, much less a stone. I have to calculate and figure out how much a stone is???? Keep up the great work, Irish. (That is what I keep wanting to call you rather than terri. Lol)

Allison, I’m not sure I read your post right? Are you saying Tome was out for his walk when Homer wanted out at 2:15 am?

Lisa, I agree that some people suck! It is hard to believe that so many people are dishonest. What in the world happened to parenting? So glad you are enjoying your new babies. They are adorable.

MNMargaret, when I retired I would have loved to work 2 to 3 days a week. That sounds great. I just couldn’t find a new job with that availability although I admit, I didn’t look too hard.

Heather, is your birthday on Friday? And if it is, how did you end up hosting dinner? Something smells fishy about that and it’s not the French fish soup. I hope it’s a wonderful day for you. (((Hugs)))

Lillian, I think it is fantastic that you walk 100 miles a month. That just sounds unreal to me. Congrats.

Miriam, Georgie Girl is a doll. She is lucky she strayed up to the right house. Woo Hoo for your son and his new place. Is tomorrow move in day?

Mary, will your DB & DSIL be staying in the Guest Cottage? How wonderful that they will come to visit. If you don’t finish painting, just hand them each a paint brush and have a paint party. :_)

Penny, thanks for the explanation of booze rationing. Very interesting. There are so many strange laws still on the books in many states here, just because they have never been changed.

Katla, if DS is the one that wants you at Thanksgiving, why doesn’t he ask your DSIL? How far from you does she live? Would you be able to help with dinner so as to relieve some of the stress? If she has a house full I definitely would see about getting a hotel room so she doesn’t have to put you up. Is this your DH’s sis or your DB’s wife? Sounds like a compliment to her that your DS wants to be there.

Heather, I can’t believe they are still asking stupid things about your rental closing. When do you expect it to be over?

Chris, you hit the jackpot at the thrift store. I’m not a good thrift store shopper so maybe I need to have you come go shopping with me? Good for you.

Carol, I hate it when I can’t get to sleep at night. Sorry your PT Captain is a torture expert. Do you know how long you will be doing the PT? I do hope you are seeing improvement?

Rita, I hope your day got better.

Debby, beautiful picture of the river. Have a fun adventure on your road trip!!

Heather, I’m like you in that I don’t like competition with others. I am more than willing to compete with myself to better what I did before.

Terri, congrats on the Natalie Cole tickets. Did you ever win the Garth tickets?

Katla, I was thinking the same thing that you said to Becca, “: I wonder whether your TOPS meetings are giving you positive support. The "ladies" don't sound particularly positive or helpful.” I have a good friend that was in a Social Club that met for lunch once a month at different member’s homes. All I heard about them was how snooty and mean they were. I asked her why she stayed in the group and she couldn’t really answer me. I mean they stressed her out all the time. Finally last week, one of them called to say something snotty to her and she told her that she wouldn’t be bothering them any longer. The way I looked at it was it’s about time. If it’s not a positive experience, why continue it?

Irish Terri, gosh I wish I had some of your green tomatoes. I’ve just been craving some Fried Green Tomatoes lately. Lol In case Jane doesn’t answer you, “Hump Day” is Wednesday, the middle of the week and gets you over the hump for the work week. Just that it’s half over now. Congrats on the clothes falling off. Isn’t it wonderful???

Barbie, I love seeing Bernie. He’s a handsome fellow.

Mary, the cabin is so cute and I love the colors.

Terri, I agree with Chris. You go to the concert.

I lost one pound this in September and gained it back. I am just glad that I didn't gain any more since I stopped taking Metformin and am still struggling with wanting to smoke. (But I haven't) It just makes me want to eat all the time. I'll work on goals for October.
    The little boys went to the groomer today. They needed it. Max came home with a cut on his chest on what looks like a cyst? Hadn’t noticed it before he went. Will take him to the vet tomorrow to get it checked out. I hope you all have a wonderful month ahead.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of water aerobics in the deep end. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD called Elle Glam Total Toning.

Before exercise went to Bi-Lo to get this protein drink that I like along with some Boca burgers. Afterwards, went to Aldi then home to start stringing the popcorn. It's supposed to rain the next few days so I'll probably have to string it on the porch (boo, that means I'll have to clean up). The guy who will do some landscaping for us came and gave us an estimate. I'm really afraid that if I let Vince dictate when this will get done, it'll never get done. I am sick and tired of not having grass. He's going to take out some stumps (I really wanted one tree removed and a rose bush, that was part of my Mother's Day gift), he'll put down mulch and seed. He wanted to use sod in the front of the house, but I asked him to use seed since (well, this is true) a neighbor of ours wants to do something for us and since he's only like 9 I said if he put down seed, I can have the kid do watering. In reality, the seed is much cheaper than sod.

Tomorrow Vince wants to go to the movie to see Minions. There's a place around here that is $3 (they raised their prices from $2.50)

Don't know why, but I couldn't sleep so I ordered tickets for the Green Room's showing of "Southern Fried Funeral".

DJ - glad to hear you're working your way up with that line dancing.

katla - how nice of you to invite those couples over, especially the new one. I'm sure it made them feel good. I like to have nuts that you can much on while playing. I'm just assuming you're looking for ideas of things to have while you're playing. Dried fruit can work. How about a trail mix?

janetr - love that saying "treat your company like family and family like company". What great advice!

Irish Terri - WTG on breaking that barrier!

Lisa - finger, toes and everything else crossed for you that you get some of your books sold

miriam - what an adorable kittie! So happy for your son

Found out tonight at ceramics that tomorrow we have the luncheon with the Newcomers. I'd thought it was next thursday. Came home, roasted 3 trays of mushrooms (that were on sale). I'll freeze two (I already had one in the freezer) and just have the third one in the refrig

Penny - how interesting about the rationing. Thanks for informing me

Mary from MN - lovely pic. Great advice to NCcarol

katla - I go for the hotel. great

Heather - I wouldn't do well in competitions, either

barbie - bernie is precious

I totallyi agree MORE CAT PICTURES!

Alison - so glad that Homer didn't get skunked. One of our cats got skunked not once, but twice, and it was no picnic

Lisa Sometimes you can't figure people out. So so glad you have those kitties. They bring a special peace that you need right now

Went to ceramics tonight and when we came out it was POURING. By the time we got home, absolutely nothing. I did stop at Lowes foods, they had cheese on sale for $2 and I had a 75 cent coupon which they doubled.

Heather - you call that a really easy dinner??????? Happy birthday

Welcome everyone new

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I agree about Heather. If it is your birthday, some one else should be the hostess and the cooking. Have fun anyway.

Loving all the pictures today. I don't think I had ever seen Barbie's kitty.

Went walking on the mall with Charlie today and I usually stop at this one antique shop. They routinely drop their prices down and today there was a big table at 75% off. I had been wondering how to make an incontinence pad for our car but didn't know how to start. Sometimes I just get these ideas! There were these pillow shams and one of those yard flags you see for different seasons, or just welcome,etc. I can/t remember what this flag was. But it was big enough that when I cut it in half, each half fits right in each pillow sham. It probably needs a pillow in each just so they look like a pillow to sit on in the car. But it works as an incontinence pad. And unfortunately Charlie has already tried it out and it worked.

Both of his Karaoke buddies offered to pick him up for their usual Wednesday Karaoke and then bring him home when he was ready. But it isn't far from my church and we both have to be there at 7PM so I just took him and then went to church. Well when I got to church I found out choir practice was cancelled. I could have gone on home and watched Survivor in peace and waited for Jim or Alan to bring my husband home. But I decided to jsut go on over to where they were. Really his diarrhea was on my mind and I really didn't want him to have to use one of those pads in his friends car. He had already turned in his first song request but decided to change it. I wasn't sure why. But they called his name and then he started singing. I immediately knew I had to pull out the kleenexes. Well it was so wonderful to hear him sing and sing so strong but it was what he sang. When we were dating he always sang the song More and that's what he sang. That man has such a hard time saying that he loves me but then he goes and sings that song. I know he was saying thank you and that he loved me. I am crying again just thinking about it. He was tired enough after sitting as long as he did and there were about 25 signers there that we went ahead and left. But they were all glad to see him back and he got a big applause jsut for being there. i was so glad I decided to go there instead of going home and watching Survivor. I normally dont go because of what it does to my MS. We went to Fazolis and he had a senior spaghetti and salad. He even had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (1/2) for lunch. That was the first time he has had anything sweet since this all started 5 weeks ago. Could my husband be getting back to normal???

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    DJ - yea! You didn't gain! Especially when you stop smoking and stopped medication! The colors of the cabin remind me of caramel apples! We are excited to have DB & DSnL !

Michele- thanks! On both cabin and carol. You learn so much by reading up on weight training and muscle targets. Next adventure Strong Curves added to Stronglifts!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Joyce- that is so touching! I felt like crying! You are such a good wife! You are very compassionate Charlie is a lucky man!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Joyce – Wonderful to hear about Charlie singing your song. :heart:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yay check in during the middle of the week not just Sunday. So enjoy reading everyone post hearing about your success and moved by your not successes. How you keep trying.

September has been good in since I started back to my fitness pal been faithful.
    Its been hard keeping my serving sizes in check. Weighting and measuring gets old at times but I know it helpful. My idea of normal isn't so normal its too large. This is helping with retraining.
    Need to get more exercise in.

More fresh and whole foods too.

October goals
    Keep logging foods and drinks
    Come to here more than once a week its so helpful
    Get moving more
    Drink water
    Eat more whole foods, less process
    Try to figure out ways that will help me get dinner on quickly. Hard after a long work day.

Sorry for such a long post.
    Thank you Barbie for keeping this going.

Elizabeth (Liz)
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for starting the new month!
    It's really late and I have two days off so I am planning on a more thoughtful post later today since I've caught up on the plethora of wonderful shavings. As the saying goes failure to plan is planning to fail...I was too afraid too commit to any goals last month and thus can't report on wether or not I met any. I will follow your staid examples and set my first goals later today after a bit of prayer for guidance. That said I CAN. Say that I logged my food every day but one in Sept. I did not always succeed in keeping to my limit. I find some days I'm hungry some days not so much. In the end I averaged out to almost exactly my goal calories. I have lost thirteen pounds since Aug1. I have a Fitbit and found out on non working days I only get a sedentary 1500 steps per day but three days a week I get 5000. I have started my first out of the house job and done pretty well at it missing only one day though not of my own fault. Okay so I have soooo many things I know I should be doing and would like to make a humongous should list. But suspect that would be unwise. I will try to narrow it down to five to ten and commit later today. Have read each and every post. You're all so important to me. I grieve with your losses, exalt at your NSVs (and SVs), and giggle with your humor.
    Thank you ladies, I must be off to bed. Love to all.
    Mindy
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My girls who love each other Whinny the Lab and LULu the bloodhound
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You ladies have been busy. Miss a night and there is a lot of reading to catch up on. There is no way that I can comment on all the posts. Someone somewhere is thinking "Well, thank goodness for small mercies"

Cynthia - You have a real Catch 22 there. Remember, one day at a time. Oh and breathe.
    You remember how to eat an elephant? Maybe not the best analogy.

MNMargaret - Good advice from your Mom. She is a wise lady.

DJ - Bids close this weekend. Fingers crossed! DH thinks he can help with the one vehicle so maybe they can hold off on replacing it until next year. They worked it out with the bank and will still be able to go to Cuba. Extremely important to them as DD is maid of honour and DSIL is one of the groomsman.

Linda/ IA - Sweet picture of your DD and Simba.

Terri F - I love Natalie Cole. Do you really have to take a co- worker? Maybe there is a different friend that you could take.

Barbie - Bernie does look very helpful. Thanks for bringing us through to a new month.

Mary from Minnesota - The cabin looks very smart.

I've been exhausted since returning to work on Tuesday but my sleep patterns remain screwed up.
    Tomorrow they are sending a manager down to help us from another store. We don't really need the help but I am looking forward to seeing Derek. One of our ladies is being so chaotic that I call her Whirlwind. I am really having a hard time getting in the swing of things. Soon....I hope.

DD is painting up a storm for a table at our Comicon. She keeps posting on facebook and people keep offering her to buy. I'm not sure how many canvases she will have for the 17th but it doesn't matter as long as people are buying. She was thrilled that her older brother gave her a compliment on the one. He is a highly respected tattoo artist in Canada so his opinion means a lot to her.

DGD is having a great time at kindergarten. She is just as shy as her Mom was. Lol. We've had to tell her that you can't go around just hugging everyone. She asks "Why not? It makes them happy"
    Good point. Things you learn from a 5 yr old. The world needs more hugs.

Chico just came and cried at me to get into my own bed. He's such a funny little dog. I guess I am up way too late.

-Sharon in Lethbridge
    Spent most of the afternoon outside.
  • lizziewoj1
    lizziewoj1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,336 Member
    Options
    Becca I so agree with you about positive affirmations. When you tell your subconscious something with conviction, it believes you 100% and it works to find a way of making it so. I have proved this to myself time and time again. It's called Nuero Linguistic Programming (NLP). I learnt about it when I read 'Awaken the Giant Within' by Anthony Robbins of the Robbins Foundation.

Our tomatoes have to be grown in the greenhouse, but they are also at the stage where they need to be grubbed out. I will make green tomato chutney with the unrepentant tomatoes.

Janemartin Put me out of my misery! What is this with the Happy Hump Day? I have asked about it several times on other threads, but no answer was forthcoming.

Debbie Fabulous photo. I love your sense of adventure. We used to do those sorts of things when we were younger, but I tend to go glamping now as I like a bit of comfort these days.

Janetr I am delighted to see you awake and posting. Enjoy the euphoria while you can, and remember to pre-empt the pain, and take the meds on time for at least a week.

Chris I am also changing from summer to winter clothes. I had to try on 4 pairs of trousers last Monday before I could find a pair that didn't fall down, so I will only store those clothes that still flatter. I will alter those things that I still like which are not too baggy yet, I will also discard any winter clothes that are not flattering. No point in cluttering up the wardrobes any longer.

I found this on the screen when I logged in this morning so not sure if I posted it or not. Oh well! In for a penny!

These are more up to date.

Janetr These kitties are adorable.

Mary That is a fine cabin.

Sylvia That seems so obvious now that I know. I'm not always the most observant person. I know what you mean about DGCs. You love them, but they can be very wearing.

Becca I remember the first time we went on a nudist beach in France. We hadn't realised that here was a nudist area at the end of the beach, but embraced the freedom. Younger daughter (8 years old) was unfazed. Elder daughter (11 years old) stomped back to the car and refused to come back and join us.

Irish Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,336 Member
    Options
    October Goals

Start weight: 210lbs (Spring 2015)
    Current weight: 167lbs
    Goal weight: 163lbs

Daily goals:

:star: Pre-log/follow through
    :star: balance carbs/protein/fat
    :star: 8+ cups liquids