October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Debbie, I am a beginner. I just downloaded the C25K app and I plan on using that to help me reach my goal of running a full 3 miles. Right now I just walk/jog. I did 2 miles yesterday. I'm not sure what I should set my goal for the month to be. Any suggestions?

Hi Debbie, I graduated from c25k a couple months ago and am using their 10k training app now. I agree with @Stoshew71 - around 25 miles (maybe a couple more) should be just about right. The app is designed for 3 workouts per week. With my pace, each workout ended up being between 2-3 miles (and gradually increased in the later weeks). Good luck!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 3.1 miles on the 'mill; plus 5.8 miles / 20 minutes on stationary bike.
    10/2 - Had to skip run/workout for a life insurance physical (bloodwork, etc.). Then, they couldn't get me to bleed, so I'm gonna have to do it again! Grrr!

exercise.png

@Elise4270 , @Stoshew71, @kristinegift, @JoRocka - Your carb conversation is making me feel guilty about the horrible amount of refined carbs I eat ALL the time. Generally, for the last 2-3 days before a half I don't "load", but I do try to avoid having too much fiber. Good luck on the race!!

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    This is all very interesting...

3. Does anyone think 1400-1500 calories for a female (45, 127lbs) is a deficit? I'm not losing weight here. If I'm lucky, I'm gaining/losing with no weight change. I will gain at 1600+. I can lose half to one pound a week if my net is less than 1000. Impossible to sustain, and I gain it back cuz I'm hungry. I should really look into getting my BF checked, goal is about 20% . I did use a food scale for a while to make sure I wasnt consistantly overestimating.

I think I'll lay off the carb load idea. Eat as usually, and replace a few things with some carbs.

Thanks for all the info! Some I know and really just don't know how to apply it. I welcome additional advice and insight.

Well by what you are stating, somewhere between 1400-1500 calories is your maintenance range. I would not eat 1000 calories, and especially if you are a runner.

May I suggest a different idea (once you are done with your race). Start doing strength training along with your running. Heck, as runners, we all can benefit from some strength training.

If you can gain some muscle in the right places, you won't just become a better runner, but the more muscle you have, the more calories you can have to eat and be at maintenance range. But to gain muscle you actually have to be at a slight calorie surplus. So may I suggest, eat 1600 calories, lift weights and work on core, glutes, hips, calves, shoulders, back, and arms, eat ~100 grams of protein/day, and see what happends after you do that for 6-8 weeks. Now you will gain some weight cause you are trying to build muscle. But after doing this for a little bit, then if you drop back down to 1400 calories, still eat ~100 grams of protein and continue the strength train and running, I think you will be very happy with the results.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    This is all very interesting...

3. Does anyone think 1400-1500 calories for a female (45, 127lbs) is a deficit? I'm not losing weight here. If I'm lucky, I'm gaining/losing with no weight change. I will gain at 1600+. I can lose half to one pound a week if my net is less than 1000. Impossible to sustain, and I gain it back cuz I'm hungry. I should really look into getting my BF checked, goal is about 20% . I did use a food scale for a while to make sure I wasnt consistantly overestimating.

I think I'll lay off the carb load idea. Eat as usually, and replace a few things with some carbs.

Thanks for all the info! Some I know and really just don't know how to apply it. I welcome additional advice and insight.

Well by what you are stating, somewhere between 1400-1500 calories is your maintenance range. I would not eat 1000 calories, and especially if you are a runner.

May I suggest a different idea (once you are done with your race). Start doing strength training along with your running. Heck, as runners, we all can benefit from some strength training.

If you can gain some muscle in the right places, you won't just become a better runner, but the more muscle you have, the more calories you can have to eat and be at maintenance range. But to gain muscle you actually have to be at a slight calorie surplus. So may I suggest, eat 1600 calories, lift weights and work on core, glutes, hips, calves, shoulders, back, and arms, eat ~100 grams of protein/day, and see what happends after you do that for 6-8 weeks. Now you will gain some weight cause you are trying to build muscle. But after doing this for a little bit, then if you drop back down to 1400 calories, still eat ~100 grams of protein and continue the strength train and running, I think you will be very happy with the results.

That sounds like a really good plan. I'll consider strength training and talk with my physical therapist- I'm betting its vetoed. But she may surprise me. I'm allowed to do certain core strengthening exercises.

Thanks again Stan!
  • AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I will try again for 40 miles!
    I have my 2nd 5k on Sunday, Save the Boobies!
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    It's getting colder (yea, I know..excuses excuses)

I'm in it for 45
    exercise.png
  • chicoadm07
    chicoadm07 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm in runners heaven! I'm also in for 145miles. Just did 100miles in the last 20 days.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    3.5 / 90

Blustery but fun, took the beagle with for the first time in a while.
  • melaniefave41
    Options
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    I'm in for 250km/155 miles.

The race I had been training for all year was this past weekend; as of right now I've got nothing on the horizon and can't register for any of the races I want to do next year. I'm feeling lost lol.

I got in 10km today which is my first run since the 50 miler I did last Saturday. Aside from some toenail issues, everything else seems to have recovered pretty quickly from that race.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @melaniefave41 - cute dog! he/she(?) looks happy :)

@aarar - wow 50 miles! Congrats! Glad the recovery is going well

I got what I think was 7 miles in this morning. My GPS program on my phone decided to pause at the 2 mile mark, so I'm not sure exactly. I've done the same route for 6 miles before so I went what I figured was 0.5mi past that and turned around. I have a fitbit but I know my stride data is wrong because the mileage it calculates from my steps is always high. But I used last Saturday's run steps where I had a known distance (from GPS) and today's steps to roughly calculate a distance and got 7.14 - so I think I can safely say I got 7 miles in ;)

About a mile into my run I felt someone come up on my right but didn't pass me so I looked over and saw it was my CO (Commanding Officer of my ship)! I thought she would say hi and then run off since she's faster than me, but she didn't. She stayed with me a bit and we talked about how it can be disheartening when you take a break from running and then you go back to it and have to start with shorter distances than you were running before (she took a 1 year break recently and I took a 6 month break recently and started again at the end of Aug). This is her first week back to running so she ran with me for about 1.5mi to her turn around point and then headed back. It was nice to run with her for a bit, even if she caught me off guard at first haha

924cf53225a18ab_black.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @melaniefav41 - I'm hysterical looking at your profile pix!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1. Rest
    2. 2.65 ish. Realized I forgot my watch.. Just ran a measured loop.

Experimenting with breads right before a race is a bad idea..Especially If you have known bread issues.... Derp derp.

@melaniefave41 love the pup!

@aarar serious mileage there! I have runners envy... :wink:
  • salsup317
    salsup317 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello! New to the group and the challenge, I'm glad to have something to keep me accountable on my miles. If I don't have a race to train for I tend to get a bit lazy, and then I get mad at myself for getting lazy when I start back up again. I'm aiming for 50 this month, I have 3.2 towards that already.

3.2/50
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    3/10 - 3km
    Total 3/40 km

First time I've run 3km in a few weeks due to shin splints. Still a bit of pressure there, though I've got the go-ahead from physio to increase distance slowly. I plan on running 3km 3xweekly ... slowly increase one of those runs to 5km over time. This is a great thread for inspiration!

exercise.png
  • melaniefave41
    Options
    @ACSL3 Thanks! Her name is Willow. Ten year old beagladore.

@skippygirlsmom Isn't it fantastic?! Lol.

@Elise4270 We need some cat pics.....
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else just a little down or daunted when they see their Month To Date total just above zero?

I feel it too, momentarily, but never fear, consistency wins, one run at a time.

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		014.46 km
    Minimum Goal:		282 km / 175 miles (5% completed)
    Stretch Goal:		322 km / 200 miles (4% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Oct 02 14.46 km Screw BPPV I'm running anyway
    Oct 01 -----    Day off dealing with BPPV

Hey, the bridge on the Fraser River Foreshore Park trail is repaired. Yay. Now hurry up with the photo and come on!
    IMG_20151002_144042.jpg
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Very nice cool run today through the woods with a friend. Took it a bit slow, but given my higher weekly mileage & intense cycling workouts as of late, good to use this as more of my easy training. Hoping to get in some speedwork tomorrow then a nice long run Sunday morning with my group if I can recover from a friend's bachelor party tomorrow night.

10/1 - 7 miles
    10/2 - 8.5 miles

Total: 15.5 miles
    Goal: 170 miles
    Remaining: 154.5 miles
  • chicoadm07
    chicoadm07 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much common knowledge that running transforms your physical appearance, but whats even more important is how you feel about yourself when you're disciplined and engaged in a consistant healthy lifestyle. You begin to see yourself as a go-getter.
    10/1-5miles
    10/2-5miles
    10miles down
    135miles remaining lol
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October goal 75 miles

10/1 big fat...REST day
    10/2 3.15

Total 3.15
    Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date: