carbs

Options
i hear all the time that carbs are bad. why is that?

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, they're not.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Eating a lower carb diet works for me. It's not that carbs are bad or eating them immediately make you gain weight but for me, processed carbs make me hungry much faster than things with protein or fat. They trigger me to want to eat more and spike my insulin. For me, eating lower carbs for the majority of my diet works better and keeps my blood sugar level and hunger at bay. It's all about the individual because some try low carb and they are hungry and miserable. If you try low carb and it works for you, awesome! If not, work in healthy carbs in your regular diet. :-)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Around half of all people have some sort of insulin resistance. For those people, higher amounts of carbs can be a bad thing. I find they hurt my health and make it easier to gain weight.

For the other half of the population, carbs don't appear to hurt their health.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Around half of all people have some sort of insulin resistance. For those people, higher amounts of carbs can be a bad thing. I find they hurt my health and make it easier to gain weight.

Half? Pretty sure you haven't proven that claim.

OP, carbs are fine, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Best wishes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Nope, haven't proven it. It was an estimation. Insulin resistance would include prediabetes, T2D, PCOS, NAFLD, and some dementia. I'm guessing that is about half, probably largely the older half, but around half.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

Nope, haven't proven it. It was an estimation. Insulin resistance would include prediabetes, T2D, PCOS, NAFLD, and some dementia. I'm guessing that is about half, probably largely the older half, but around half.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/half-of-us-adults-have-diabetes-or-high-risk-prediabetes/

If anything, you probably estimated too low! 52% have diabetes or prediabetes. And that does not even include those with PCOS or other conditions.

More than half the population has a very significant reason to reduce carbs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    T2D diabetic in remission here and I never went low carb. I was trained to eat all the macros in balance and on a schedule. I never ate carbs alone, always with a little protein.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

Fruits and veggies are also carbs and I'm not about to give them up!

Oatmeal (carbs) for breakfast with my Greek yogurt.

Carbs are a useful and pleasurable part of any diet.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/half-of-us-adults-have-diabetes-or-high-risk-prediabetes/

If anything, you probably estimated too low! 52% have diabetes or prediabetes. And that does not even include those with PCOS or other conditions.

"Half of US adults" is not the same as "half of all people".

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

True, but seeing as no children are permitted on this board, it is safe to assume everybody reading is an adult. And while there are international users, these conditions are becoming an increasing problem in much of the world. The US is not the only country with high numbers of insulin resistance.

So her estimate was actually a very good one. I'm not sure why you are objecting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Lots of bad information is out there.

For better information on nutrition, check out: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Find me a source that indicates that non-starchy veg hurts anyone's health or that low carb diets are recommended across the board for the (overly high, but likely not nearly 50%) number of people who might test IR as the US is now defining it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

And US reduced the cut off for IR so it's lower than that used in other countries, so even that is misleading.

And estimating IR based on test results for people suspected isn't reliable, since generally they test people who are obese and not people who are normal weight (who likely are not IR unless they have some other risk factor, like taking steroids).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

So, this is where I get confused when stats like this are bandied round

Which came first? Insulin resistance or being overweight?

What proportion of people who lose the weight, by any means, are insulin resistant or even pre-diabetic

Is it causative or correlation?

If causative can one surmise that being overweight results in a higher chance of being IR/pre-diabetic that the "cure" is losing weight and maintaining it. Hence the statistic is by it's very nature misleading.

OP I lost and maintain my weight eating a healthy balance of food...but at least 50-60% of me diet has remained carbs

Tbh I don't watch it ..I only watch my minimum protein level and aim to at least hit 100g daily (based on 0.6g - 0.8g per lb bodyweight) I also try to hit 35g fat
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What proportion of people who lose the weight, by any means, are insulin resistant or even pre-diabetic

If causative can one surmise that being overweight results in a higher chance of being IR/pre-diabetic that the "cure" is losing weight and maintaining it. Hence the statistic is by it's very nature misleading.

OP I lost and maintain my weight eating a healthy balance of food...but at least 50-60% of me diet has remained carbs

Tbh I don't watch it ..I only watch my minimum protein level and aim to at least hit 100g daily (based on 0.6g - 0.8g per lb bodyweight) I also try to hit 35g fat
    You could eat a little more fat as it has great benefits.
    There appears to be a genetic component to diabetes. Also there is new research that Alzheimers-Type conditions could be connected to blood sugar.
    If these conditions / diseases run in some families and ethnic groups and not others, that means PERHAPS that the other groups can handle carbs.
    Carbs are my mother's main food.
    I really have not seen her eat much of any thing else, but diabetes does not run in her family and she has worked out a lot her entire life and is thin at 5 ft 100 pounds.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    It's clear that to some extent being overweight causes IR.

Also eating a ridiculous diet probably does, but no one has ever shown eating a 50% carbs diet does.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Eat the carbs if you like them and if they are helping you eat at your daily calorie level.
    If you struggle with snacking or late night eating or things like that that people here often mention, you could consider some modifications to your macros. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    They aren't.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

"Bad" is a strange word in this context. Eating carbohydrate reduces oxidation of fat, and if the dietary intakes and energy expenditure combine with this to impair fat loss or promote fat storage then the outcome could be undesirable.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You can be thin and insulin resistant, fat and insulin sensitive and all stations in between.

In one analysis civil servants with a certain diet profile were much more likely to become diabetic and were also more overweight, likely to smoke etc etc. In the highest quartile 10% of them became diabetic compared to 3.6% in the lowest quartile. In this case I think we would assume the diet profile led to the deterioration of health as all of the corrections for other factors did not eliminate the trend.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Because fear is money.