Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cold

Replies

• superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    flinstone gummies:
    i DO NOT see iron on the label !
    http://labeling.bayercare.com/omr/online/flintstones-gummies.pdf
    steer clear of gummies - no or few minerals
    plus, you are adding 6 grams of sugar to your diet for no reason

But they are so yummy! Ok I will go buy some other kind

Get tested first and sound your doctor out to see if he or she can help with brands that contain forms of iron that your body will actually absorb. I'm anemic, get tested regularly, and went through several forms of iron before I settled on Iron Bisglycinate.

The two forms of iron the VA gave me were absolutely useless.

I had a full work up I am not anemic
    All blood work fine
    No menopause
    Just cold
  • superhockeymom
    Brrr, now I'm cold after reading through all this, lol! Turning my space heater on now. And a hot bath in my soaking tub sounds amazing....

OP, I think it sounds fairly normal. After eating anything I usually get cold and it's always been like that. Do you enjoy hot tea? That might help you a bit!!

I drink lots of hot tea and it does help some.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Ok this is the thing I am so cold all the time. Every time I try to lose weight I just freeze. I hate being cold. I am sitting in my office wearing a coat and I have a space heater on right now and I am freezing Also here's another weird thing when I eat a salad I get so cold it is miserable and it takes me a long time to get warm. Does this happen to anyone else or am I just a total freak?

I eat hot foods when it's cold. And drink lots and lots of tea.

/takes away the salad and hands you some soup/

Here, have a Mr. Coffee MWBLK Mug Warmer - get a flat bottomed cup for it, preferably one you can use for both soup and beverages.

Mr-Coffee-MWBLK-Mug-Warmer-0-2.jpg

• superhockeymom
    Ok this is the thing I am so cold all the time. Every time I try to lose weight I just freeze. I hate being cold. I am sitting in my office wearing a coat and I have a space heater on right now and I am freezing Also here's another weird thing when I eat a salad I get so cold it is miserable and it takes me a long time to get warm. Does this happen to anyone else or am I just a total freak?

Here, have a Mr. Coffee MWBLK Mug Warmer - get a flat bottomed cup for it, preferably one you can use for both soup and beverages.

Nice but I like my salads. I am having a second cup of coffee today it is helping and I just added cup of soup to my list but I will have to strain out the noodles
  • kshama2001
    flinstone gummies:
    i DO NOT see iron on the label !
    http://labeling.bayercare.com/omr/online/flintstones-gummies.pdf
    steer clear of gummies - no or few minerals
    plus, you are adding 6 grams of sugar to your diet for no reason

But they are so yummy! Ok I will go buy some other kind

Get tested first and sound your doctor out to see if he or she can help with brands that contain forms of iron that your body will actually absorb. I'm anemic, get tested regularly, and went through several forms of iron before I settled on Iron Bisglycinate.

The two forms of iron the VA gave me were absolutely useless.

I had a full work up I am not anemic
    All blood work fine
    No menopause
    Just cold

Oh, I though you said you were going to look for a multi with iron. But you must have been responding to the part of her comments that gummies don't have enough minerals.
  • kshama2001

Nice but I like my salads. I am having a second cup of coffee today it is helping and I just added cup of soup to my list but I will have to strain out the noodles

There are lots of soups that come without noodles.

I love salads too - in the summer. This time of year they make me cold and I switch to cooked veggies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Your ambitions only a few months ago, even though you are well within a healthy BMI, is to lose more weight because you like the lean look. Lean and underweight means it's tougher for you to stay warm. Carbs would help. A little more salt might help, too. You may also have low blood pressure.
  • superhockeymom
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Your ambitions only a few months ago, even though you are well within a healthy BMI, is to lose more weight because you like the lean look. Lean and underweight means it's tougher for you to stay warm. Carbs would help. A little more salt might help, too. You may also have low blood pressure.

Actually I still have weight to lose I am not lean or underweight. I just gave up the carbs a week ago because it is what works for me to keep my hunger in check pretty weird given where I was coming from but yes I was at the point where I was hungry all the time. My blood pressure is fine so that is not it. I guess I can add it to my list of quirks. Makes me different.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    edited October 2015
    Maybe try some chai tea?

Ginger and cinnamon are known to be blood thinners and give the body a rush..I add a pinch of black pepper in mine

Here is how I make it

1 cup water
    1 or 2 cardamom pods
    2 cloves
    Small stick of cinnamon or sprinkle powdered cinnamon
    Half teaspoon of fresh grated ginger(I use more ginger cause I love the taste)
    Small amount of fennel seed ..this is optional and depends on taste
    1 teabag

Bring it all to boil for a few minutes in a pot

Then add your choice of dairy. Bring to a boil. here I sprinkle a bit of black pepper or teeny amount of nutmeg. Normally use honey as my sweetener of choice

Really warms me up to fight the Canadian winter
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You're not different, @superhockeymom . The laws of thermodynamics works the same for you as anyone else. Nearly every post-bariatric patient suffers from cold afterwards from the sudden weight loss, the VLCD, low blood pressure, and low blood sugar. I know you are not post-bariatric but I do suspect you have an eating/body image disorder.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Actually I still have weight to lose I am not lean or underweight. I just gave up the carbs a week ago because it is what works for me to keep my hunger in check pretty weird given where I was coming from but yes I was at the point where I was hungry all the time. My blood pressure is fine so that is not it. I guess I can add it to my list of quirks. Makes me different.

Aren't you doing low calorie in addition to low carbohydrate? Going low calorie can make you feel colder. This isn't especially unique.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    My hands and feet are cold all the time. It is 73F in the office and I am wearing a sweat shirt. The only time I am really hot is if I am actively exercising or it is over 85 outside and humid. I also tend to get extra cold after exercising, figure that I am just efficient at cooling. I am not deficient anything, just runs in my family (at least with the women).
  • superhockeymom
    The sudden weight loss? Low blood suger? I have always been cold like this. I had a sweatshirt on on the beach when I met my husband. He thought I was crazy and look 18 years later we are still married and I still bring a sweatshirt to the beach. So as much as that sound like a good reason it makes no sense.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    I have lost over 100 lbs. in the less than a year. I used to be hot...all...the...time. If I went up steps I would break a sweat. I only wore a jacket or sweater when it got close to freezing temps. Now, I get cold often, why do they keep restaurants so cold? grocery stores? I am finding myself wearing a jacket everywhere I go and it is only October. I have simply chalked it up to the shock that my body is experiencing from losing so much insulation!
  • superhockeymom

Aren't you doing low calorie in addition to low carbohydrate? Going low calorie can make you feel colder. This isn't especially unique.

Yes low calorie / low carb (just don't look at yesterday) over on both and paying for it today. Actually physically feel sick to my stomach. Anyway I agree low calorie could answer the question but I have been like this for a long long time.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    If it's been going on for at least eighteen years and the doctor brings nothing to the table, I'm wondering what, exactly, you're looking for here. Just to know if other people are cold a lot, too?
  • superhockeymom
    If it's been going on for at least eighteen years and the doctor brings nothing to the table, I'm wondering what, exactly, you're looking for here. Just to know if other people are cold a lot, too?

Pretty much and I have found its not as weird as I thought. And no one on here has been given any explanation from there doctors either.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Because my main meal is in the evening I am usually cold during the day, then after I have had my well balanced, satisfying dinner I warm up. I think this is normal.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Yeah, other people have given explanations, they just don't seem to fit your circumstances.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member

You have unilaterally rejected everything anyone has offered. I don't understand the reason for your post. It seems like you want to cling to this idea that you're different, or (in your own words) a freak. What's the point of that??