Cold

Options

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I second fuzzy shoes. I brought in an old pair of fleece slippers into work, so glad that I did.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm not cold all the time but I have noticed since weight loss when I'm cold it feels like I'm colder and it takes longer to warm up.

I've learned if I get chilled to hug a hot mug and cover the back of my neck.

I've also learned I'm colder inside buildings than I am outside even when the temperature is exactly the same and with or without sun doesn't matter.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I used to be cold all the time. I get frostbite on my fingers now if it gets below 50 degrees. I look ridiculous walking around in the fall with no coat, but arctic ski mittens with the little heating squares in the built in pocket. My friend knitted me little fuzzy fingerless gloves for typing. Before bed I often take a hot hot hot shower or bath to help me sleep. It helps.

Do your fingers swell when you walk or exercise for a long time?

Also, make sure you're eating enough nutrients, especially foods with fats (and for me foods with heme iron, but too much iron can be dangerous, so I hesitate to recommend that without knowing your medical history).
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    My fingers only swell in the summer when it is really hot and humid. Do you have Rynards ( could be wrong spelling) my husband has that. He calls it white finger he even gets it swimming during the summer.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this too. When I am slim I am not as warm. Less fat insulation, slightly slowed metabolism? Who knows. I tend to drink hot drinks and wear layers.

It's better than that sweaty hotness I got in the summer when overweight. ;)
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It is colder where I am starting last week. Just switched from shorts to jeans.

Also I know blood pressure affects temperature perception, as does a fever, which are both good reasons to see a doc.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ok this is the thing I am so cold all the time. Every time I try to lose weight I just freeze. I hate being cold. I am sitting in my office wearing a coat and I have a space heater on right now and I am freezing Also here's another weird thing when I eat a salad I get so cold it is miserable and it takes me a long time to get warm. Does this happen to anyone else or am I just a total freak?

Yes to being cold all the time and being more sensitive to cold foods.

It's 65 degrees where I am (67 inside) and I'm home today wearing wool leggings with fleece sweats over them, a t-shirt with a sweater over it, and thick socks. I really want those slipper/booty-things that were posted earlier.

It's only October and it's going to go downhill from here. My heating bills last winter were atrocious.

ETA: Bloodwork just done last month, all good. I'm not menopausal or anemic or whathaveyou. Just a lot less insulation due to losing a lot of weight, and because I'm in a deficit I can't just go warm myself up with food every time I feel a chill.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Ok this is the thing I am so cold all the time. Every time I try to lose weight I just freeze. I hate being cold. I am sitting in my office wearing a coat and I have a space heater on right now and I am freezing Also here's another weird thing when I eat a salad I get so cold it is miserable and it takes me a long time to get warm. Does this happen to anyone else or am I just a total freak?

It's 65 degrees where I am (67 inside) and I'm home today wearing wool leggings with fleece sweats over them, a t-shirt with a sweater over it, and thick socks. I really want those slipper/booty-things that were posted earlier.

It's only October and it's going to go downhill from here. My heating bills last winter were atrocious.

Sorel Manawans + wool socks + heavy hoodie and layers = reasonable heating bill :)

In fact, I'm mostly heated by my downstairs neighbor.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My fingers only swell in the summer when it is really hot and humid. Do you have Rynards ( could be wrong spelling) my husband has that. He calls it white finger he even gets it swimming during the summer.

Never been diagnosed with anything. But I definitely don't eat salads very often in winter. Not saying I eat hot food all the time, but eating volumes and volumes of cold food doesn't seem to help. Lots of hot tea between meals.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes! I live on the top floor of a triplex and my downstairs neighbours definitely contribute to reducing my heating bills in the winter by a LOT.

I should bake them some cookies or something. Hmmmm.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Sorel Manawans + wool socks + heavy hoodie and layers = reasonable heating bill :)

I'm checking out the reviews on Zappos now. :)
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    I have Ugg slippers also very warm they make an appearance under my desk later in the year. Heating bills yuck can't stand them. No downstairs neighbor to help me out. Not sure why I still live in the northeast I gave up skiing awhile ago not much else to do with 5 feet of snow outside in January!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    OP, I am the same as you - ALWAYS cold. I keep a fleece jacket at my office and wear it nearly every single day during the Summer when the a/c is blaring. I also have Raynault's Syndrome (what you referred to your husband having), although it doesn't bother me unless it is cool and damp (like today). I have had my bloodowrk done and my thyroid is borderline underactive; I am due to get get my blood work done again at the end of next month.

Someone sent me a link to an electric blanket that plugs into your computer's USB port. I am seriously thinking about buying it!

• superhockeymom
    Options
    OP, I am the same as you - ALWAYS cold. I keep a fleece jacket at my office and wear it nearly every single day during the Summer when the a/c is blaring. I also have Raynault's Syndrome (what you referred to your husband having), although it doesn't bother me unless it is cool and damp (like today). I have had my bloodowrk done and my thyroid is borderline underactive; I am due to get get my blood work done again at the end of next month.

Someone sent me a link to an electric blanket that plugs into your computer's USB port. I am seriously thinking about buying it!

Can you message me the link I would buy it in second
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

From googling:
    http://www.amazon.com/USB-Heated-Shawl-Lap-Blanket/dp/B001JEBX5M
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/cf6d/

A friend of mine has problems regulating her body temp, so she has some stuffed animals that you can microwave and they stay warm for hours. I used one while visiting her and it was awesome (although I have a feeling not all that appropriate for my office):
    http://www.amazon.com/Intelex-Plush-Elephant-Microwaveable-Warmer/dp/B002WILK7A
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, but most days you are netting between 200-1000 calories per day. That likely has something to do with it. Perhaps increase your intake a bit to healthy levels.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I haven't read all the responses, but most days you are netting between 200-1000 calories per day. That likely has something to do with it. Perhaps increase your intake a bit to healthy levels.

Doesn't have any affect. This is just how I have always been. Although I do think sleep may play a role.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    People notice this when they're eating at a deficit. You could try eating a little more. It should go away once you're at maintenance. Mine did when I took a break.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Yes! I live on the top floor of a triplex and my downstairs neighbours definitely contribute to reducing my heating bills in the winter by a LOT.

I should bake them some cookies or something. Hmmmm.

I'm going to help them stack firewood :smiley:
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Ok just finished lunch I am frozen. Yes I had a salad I love it. But I may have to give it up I hate this.