It is unlikely that you will lose weight consistently (i.e., weight loss is not linear)

Options

Replies

• 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Suzieqgirl wrote: »
    Congratulation on your weight loss. Thank you for giving us encouragement to keep going!

I think of the body as being like a computer. Every time we go to sleep, our body goes into a cleaning mode to clean itself. In a computer, this is called Disk Defragment. If we eat to late at night, our body is busy digesting instead of going into the cleaning mode.

As we get older, our digestive system starts to slow down. It is very important we keep our digestive system moving correctly and allowing our body to clean itself while we sleep. Our body will clean better, if our food is digested before we go to bed, so don't eat anything 4-5 hours before going to bed. Also by getting enough water, extra Vitamin C & Magnesium before going to bed, will keep our digestive system working normally and helps to move the toxic build-up out of the gut.
    I've never come across this theory before. Where exactly does that come from?

I have heard this from a chemist once before this post. I take magnesium 3-4 days apart and vitamin c every day. Idk why or how, but it works great for cleaning out the colon.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This post is awesome...definitely helps when you're not seeing a change after 2-3 weeks and getting depressed about it...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This post could use a bump for visibility.

tumblr_ni0u0oOOnh1tlc0ufo2_500.gif
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This is one of the biggest things I have trouble with: being patient. I was recently on a 2 week stall where I couldn't get down below 209. Then all of a sudden I was losing a pound a day all the way down to 205. In recent days I'm back up to 207, which is frustrating.

What I keep forgetting is that not even a week ago I was SO FRUSTRATED that my weight wouldn't move past 209. Now I'm at a consistent 207 and dropping. Still seems like a really long way away from my goal of 170, but if the overall trend it progress, you have to just keep being patient and vigilant.
  • alialdulaimi688
    alialdulaimi688 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Great post
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is one of the biggest things I have trouble with: being patient. I was recently on a 2 week stall where I couldn't get down below 209. Then all of a sudden I was losing a pound a day all the way down to 205. In recent days I'm back up to 207, which is frustrating.

What I keep forgetting is that not even a week ago I was SO FRUSTRATED that my weight wouldn't move past 209. Now I'm at a consistent 207 and dropping. Still seems like a really long way away from my goal of 170, but if the overall trend it progress, you have to just keep being patient and vigilant.

Very true.. It's always been my biggest failure, giving in when I don't see results, but if I had just stuck to it then gradually I would have got to goal.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Bumping for visibility with the stickies gone. Long live the stickies!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Never mind stickies; this should be part of the required reading for newbies before they even sign up for this site!
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Never mind stickies; this should be part of the required reading for newbies before they even sign up for this site!

Exactly! I'm not a newb but I need this reminder too...
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates by as much as five pounds up and down over the course of a month, just from being a girl. So yes, I've learned to notice how I'm trending rather than individual scale readings but I can absolutely use a reminder now and again. I don't actually care about what the scale says at all, not really. All I *really* care about is fitting into my old clothes again. Oh, and being healthy. Always cared about being healthy.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Hi. This needs a bump for visibility. Carry on.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thought I would bump this, but add a question.

When you have a "whoosh" weight loss do you log it straight away or give it a few days to see if you settle around there.

In my case, I way myself every morning and only bother to update MFP when the weight changes. I track daily stuff outside of MFP where I can see trend graphs etc.

My scale has been showing me at 154lbs for about 9 days and all of a sudden this morning that dropped down to 152.6, to me that is a big difference. I'm only aiming for about 1/2lb a week loss.

So I'll just keep logging externally for the next 3 or 4 days and if I get a constant weigh in around 152.6, making sure I am fully hydrated for the next few days I'll log that in MFP.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Thought I would bump this, but add a question.

When you have a "whoosh" weight loss do you log it straight away or give it a few days to see if you settle around there.

In my case, I way myself every morning and only bother to update MFP when the weight changes. I track daily stuff outside of MFP where I can see trend graphs etc.

My scale has been showing me at 154lbs for about 9 days and all of a sudden this morning that dropped down to 152.6, to me that is a big difference. I'm only aiming for about 1/2lb a week loss.

So I'll just keep logging externally for the next 3 or 4 days and if I get a constant weigh in around 152.6, making sure I am fully hydrated for the next few days I'll log that in MFP.

Its a personal decision, I would log it personally, usually when you get a whoosh downwards the scale stays down...
    if you're using another app for recording weight then just keep recording each day, the main thing is the overall trend is downward.

What I've noticed is that once a month I reach a new lower weight, then my weight spikes up and down like a yoyo til same time next month and then it dips again...maybe I'm weird like that but it just shows how the scale can bounce around yet the trend still be downwards overall :smile:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would log it unless I thought I was unusually dehydrated. Once in awhile I wake up feeling super thirsty and I know it's because I didn't drink as much the day before. I usually have a brief dip in weight (one day down the next day up) when that happens. You kind of have to learn your body's patterns.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I log my weigh-ins every day, even the artificial highs and lows. It helps me see patterns and put fluctuations into perspective. And I don't have to think about it; I just log.
  • jlturner386
    jlturner386 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Having everything work against me this morning....did heavy cardio, plus strength training yesterday, today is the first day of my monthly....AND i am terribly consti. I think Im gonna hide from the scale til next week :(
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My own weight loss hasn't been linear in a strict sense, but it definitely has been consistent. The only times it isn't is when I've gone over my own goal.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    My own weight loss hasn't been linear in a strict sense, but it definitely has been consistent. The only times it isn't is when I've gone over my own goal.
    That's pretty much what should be expected.

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    bump :) thanks. i'll come back later and reply
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have a 1 - 1 1/2 week window where I lose scale weight so in terms of scale progress I go by my 6 weekly trend! For most of the 6 weeks I'm either the same scale weight or on the high side of my range. Even though most of that 6 week period I'm not losing scale weight I judge my progress by how my clothes are fitting, I take measurements and photos. I also track my running performance and my progress lifting weights. I lift heavy.

Edited to say

I'm 5'2 female, 43 yrs currently between the range of 63.2 - 64 kg. Goal is to get back to 57 kg that I got to.

I started Sep 1 at 66 kg.

Goal is to take it slow and eat at a slight-moderate defecit so I have enough fuel for my training program and to retain muscle, oh and so i dont go hungry. Im losing eating between 1900-2200. I try hard to stay under 2000 most of the time but I find it hard sometimes with the amount of activity I do. It would be a win if i can stay under 2000 50 % of the time! Goal is a 1900 gross calorie average per week but lately I haven't even hitting that, I'm going over. 3 sprint/interval runs per week, 1-2 weights and I walk to and from work anywhere between 35 mins each way. I gave myself the timeframe of 7 months to lose the 9 kg.

The past 2 winters I put back 9 kg of the 33 kg I lost back in 2012 and I've taken it off twice so Im an expert at losing. Now I will turn my knowledge into maintaining. I'm thinking this time around once I get back to 57 kg I'll just continue on losing, do a recomp at 0 - 5 % defecit. I think that's the way for the future for me, a lifetime of working hard to stay at a 5 % defecit. This would then allow me every now and then when a special occasion comes to go over on my calories and still be able to maintain. Oh and I don't mind eating 2200-2300 on the days I lift as it helps to build/retain muscle.