Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Thank you again for all of your advice!! I've taken it seriously, went out and bought new rules of lifting for women and have researched the ICF 5x5 and am starting today. Thanks to all of you, I'm less concerned about the scale and realize that to get the body I want, it's only done by lifting. I'm down 68 lbs in total and I feel great but I don't look strong. Nuff said ! xo
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Thank you again for all of your advice!! I've taken it seriously, went out and bought new rules of lifting for women and have researched the ICF 5x5 and am starting today. Thanks to all of you, I'm less concerned about the scale and realize that to get the body I want, it's only done by lifting. I'm down 68 lbs in total and I feel great but I don't look strong. Nuff said ! xo

Great!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hi ladies! Stats: Cw 75kg, tw 65kg +strength, h 168cm, 39yrs.
    Whilst I have been using weight machines, since I joined the gym last September, I have not been consistent. Given that I am so close to my target weight, having lost 20kg already. I thought it was time to start focusing more on building strength. As in, be alot more consistent e.g 4x a week instead of 2x. I am also doing c25k (on wk2 now).
    Just to recap, I still want to lose fat, not fussed about the pace, I want my clothes to be my scale. Should I eat at maintenance if I'll be doing weights 4x a week? I intend to do
    leg press - 40kg (3 sets of 8),
    leg curls s.a.a
    Hip abductors 23kg (3 sets of 8)
    chest press 20kg (3 sets of 8)
    shoulder press 15kg (3 sets of 8)
    low row 20kg (3 sets of 8)
    assisted chin ups
    Elliptical, bike, rower, stair master and of course treadmill for cardio.

Thanks in advance for your help. Any constructive opinions welcomed

First, you should do a set program that focuses on compound lifts with the barbell: SL 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, Strong Curves-etc. Do a real program

If you have a lot of fat to lose, continue in a deficit. If it's just a little and you think you're ready for a recomp, bump to maintenance.

I totally agree! Strong Lifts is the way to go if you want to get maximum results.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Hello Ladies! Have another question for you. I would like to do more weight lifting in my home gym vs my gym. I go to the gym alone and really feel that I should be going with a friend to have as a spotter when lifting, especially heavy. Until then, I have a home gym and like the option to use either. Now, I need more weights and was thinking of purchasing the powerblocks since it saves space etc however, it's $500 so I want to make sure this makes sense. The routine I'm following uses a barbell so I would need to use Dumbbells instead, do you think I could get just as good of a workout using Dumbbells? Thanks :smile:
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    I started with dumbbells and this was really helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1

I will say that I only started to be satisfied with my results when I switched to the barbell, even though I much prefer working out at home.
  • willowcreek_lane
    willowcreek_lane Posts: 44 Member
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Hello Ladies! Have another question for you. I would like to do more weight lifting in my home gym vs my gym. I go to the gym alone and really feel that I should be going with a friend to have as a spotter when lifting, especially heavy. Until then, I have a home gym and like the option to use either. Now, I need more weights and was thinking of purchasing the powerblocks since it saves space etc however, it's $500 so I want to make sure this makes sense. The routine I'm following uses a barbell so I would need to use Dumbbells instead, do you think I could get just as good of a workout using Dumbbells? Thanks :smile:

I go to the gym alone too. I lift as heavy as I can without a spotter. When I am with my trainer I push that extra bit because she will spot - when I am alone - which is 95% of the time I just go as much as I can. I use the squat cage - that has those stopper bars on it so that if you do crumple beneath the weaight you won't get hurt. Never happend to me though - I listen to my body!
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Question im in the 5x5 program i do mon. Wed. Fri. I missed yesterday could i just go ahead nd get it in today nd still go tomorrow so i dont miss a workout
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    megcorey wrote: »
    Question im in the 5x5 program i do mon. Wed. Fri. I missed yesterday could i just go ahead nd get it in today nd still go tomorrow so i dont miss a workout

I would not. I would just skip today and go tomorrow or go today, then skip tomorrow. Since 5x5 is a full body workout, it is not good to do it back to back since the muscles you worked wouldn't get a rest (which is when they repair themselves).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    megcorey wrote: »

You could do Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday this week and back to usual next week.
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks i knew better i just needed more imput to decide thanks again
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    @raisingcropsandkids Thank you for posting ! Your transformation is amazing and very inspiring to me as I am one of those " bigger girls ". You are killn it !!!!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Holy bleep!!! Awesome work @raisingcropsandkids
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    I'm not nearly at my goal yet but for bigger girls that wonder if weights will actually help them lose here's some of my progress pictures :-) I'm down 25lb and over 30". I've lost almost 10" off my tummy alone. I lift 3 days a week, stay active with my kids the rest of the week and track my macros. Second picture was after 3 months. I've been lifting for 4.5 months now, I'm down 3 pants sizes, went from 2x tops to a regular xl.

y118hz4wlzl9.jpg
    ljshpyubipl8.jpg

@raisingcropsandkids you are killing it and you are doing great!! You shall persevere!! Great job!!

• Thanks @pwrfl1 @mrsfitzyv8 @getitamb
    I'm getting there! The first month the scale didn't move at all but I was losing inches, and it's just gotten better and better!
  • FitChick_40
    FitChick_40 Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2015
    WOW, you girls are amazing and inspiring! Well done.

I've started Jamie Eason's LiveFit a month back and since I heard so much good things about heavy lifting, I would like to switch to training with the barbell. But I am still too weak to lift a barbell!!!!
    Any ideas and recommendations?

• G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    WOW, you girls are amazing and inspiring! Well done.

I've started Jamie Eason's LiveFit a month back and since I heard so much good things about heavy lifting, I would like to switch to training with the barbell. But I am still too weak to lift a barbell!!!!
    Any ideas and recommendations?

You can start with dumbbells for most exercises until you get the strength to lift it. You can do goblet squats with kettlebells or dumbbells, deadlift, bench press, overhead press with dumbbells. Also, most gyms have lighter barbells (10 kg/20 lbs) or fixed weight barbells you can start with.

Take your time learning the correct techniques, then enjoy the great newbie gains! You'll be lifting that oly barbell in no time! :)
  • FitChick_40
    FitChick_40 Posts: 12 Member
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    You can start with dumbbells for most exercises until you get the strength to lift it. You can do goblet squats with kettlebells or dumbbells, deadlift, bench press, overhead press with dumbbells. Also, most gyms have lighter barbells (10 kg/20 lbs) or fixed weight barbells you can start with.

Take your time learning the correct techniques, then enjoy the great newbie gains! You'll be lifting that oly barbell in no time! :)

Thank you!