Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Options

Replies

• mariaoutlook
    Options
    I love this post because I'm overweight and my arms are so wick. Did you lose weight and then, started doing strength? Can anyone who was 40 lbs (or more) overweight explain to me? One of my goals is get stronger arms. Thank you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I love this post because I'm overweight and my arms are so wick. Did you lose weight and then, started doing strength? Can anyone who was 40 lbs (or more) overweight explain to me? One of my goals is get stronger arms. Thank you.

Most of us started lifting towards the beginning of our weight loss. Those who didn't wish they had started sooner. Strength training helps preserve lean mass. It's also nice to just have strength for every day life. Like carrying kids and taking lids off of jars. There's no reason to wait and you can start with body weight exercises.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Most of us started lifting towards the beginning of our weight loss. Those who didn't wish they had started sooner. Strength training helps preserve lean mass. It's also nice to just have strength for every day life. Like carrying kids and taking lids off of jars. There's no reason to wait and you can start with body weight exercises.

I think I'm going to buy a dumbbell set comprising from 1kg. to 5kg. to help with my arms and chest. I saw one the other day for approx £15 ($22) and I have been wondering if I should buy it. The small dumbbells will be useful to combine with my exercise bike. I cycle and do other cardio everyday. Also I swim at least once a week. But no exercising with my arms at all. I suppose this set would be a good start.

Thank you for taking the time to read and give advice. You are an inspiration and your threads are very useful.
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I really have to start lifting! :\
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm about to give up cardio
  • fruity2
    fruity2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    every single woman - jaw dropping inspiration
  • CaribbeanPrincess42
    Options
    I have been doing some weight training since february.

the left is the week after I started with my trainer in february. The middle is mid may when I switched trainers ( my first one moved out of state) and the last one is about a month ago. I only lost about 3lbs in that 7 months.

9799221974_4ccc67c1f0.jpg
    2/13, 4/13, 9/13 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

Have you been watching what you are eating? I used to weight training for a few years and didn't see much of a difference in overall body toning. In fact I gained weight. I thought it was due to getting older but I realized that my eating was not good. I stopped training about 2 months ago and just a few days ago started to watch my calories and so far have lost 4 pounds. I do the elliptical everyday and I am planning to hit the gym again very soon.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My current profile pic shows the difference 6 months made in my physique by changing up my eating habits and lifting heavy. No cardio whatsoever :)
  • scorpiowoman326
    scorpiowoman326 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    wow-you all look GREAT! I do a lot of interval training and see muscles now. But now I am wondering if I should just switch back to p90x.
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is all great! I have about 35 lbs to lose and just started the new P90 by Tony Horton. It's a combination of cardio and strength training. I would like to incorporate more though, per these pics! Any suggestions if I'm not a part of a gym. I do have dumbbells I could work with.. any help would be appreciated!
  • FunSkittles
    FunSkittles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I too would love if anyone has some suggestions for at home with dumbbells. Thanks!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I have a silly question. I am just starting weight training. I see everyone saying heavy lifting. What is considered heavy lifting for a newbie? I am 4'11", weight 110ish, age 49. I just started with barbells earlier this month. I started bench press at 30 lbs now at 50. Am at 60 lbs for straight legged dead lifts. Is this a decent beginning or am I way off base.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I too would love if anyone has some suggestions for at home with dumbbells. Thanks!

You Are Your Own Gym doesn't require any weights at first (you can add weights to increase difficulty).
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    I have a silly question. I am just starting weight training. I see everyone saying heavy lifting. What is considered heavy lifting for a newbie? I am 4'11", weight 110ish, age 49. I just started with barbells earlier this month. I started bench press at 30 lbs now at 50. Am at 60 lbs for straight legged dead lifts. Is this a decent beginning or am I way off base.

Heavy lifting is considered different things for different people. You just start where you can and work to improve. Your starting point might be where some people get after a few months and your starting point might be super easy for some people. It's best to learn early to compare your progress to yourself. Comparing to others can be rough.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    <---- around 18months between those pics. The first was around 8 months after having a baby, the other was taken this week. This time around I've basically just been lifting three times a week with the odd run thrown in for good measure....oh and chasing a 2 year old around!!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

You Are Your Own Gym doesn't require any weights at first (you can add weights to increase difficulty).

I think Nia Shanks has a dumbbell only programme?
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    probably my favorite thread for inspiration. Thank you to all the ladies who have posted thus far, you are all amazing!!! I hope in a couple months I'll have some progress pics to post.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    if you want to bulk up, just eat more and continue to lift.