Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Bump to read later
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    In for the awesomeness! I did some lazy lifting and still got results that I was really proud of. I'm starting New Rules of Lifting for Women next week and have upped my calories and am going to invest in protein powder. Definitely going to do this the right way!
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    In.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    I get my NROLFWtomorrow and am just starting the lifting journey as I keep on my weight loss journey. CANNOT WAIT. Thanks for the inspiration ladies!
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    So inspiring and motivating before my workout. Thank you for sharing. You are all amazing!
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Keep up the amazing work ladies!

<- - - My lifting progress pictures are in my profile :)
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    In for the AWESOME!
  • Mommabeeto5
    Mommabeeto5 Posts: 30 Member
    Any body weight train while breastfeeding? I had 4 kids plus a recent miscarriage all in 4 years and I decided I MUST get my body back! Im 28 5'1 124 lbs and 29% body fat! I have been exercising for 2.5 weeks. i strength train 3 days a week with 20-30 minutes of cardio and i do an exercise class with cardio 2 days a week. i drink a gallon of water a day and on monday i started adding in a 30g protein drink daily to make sure I am eating enough protein. I am eating 1900-2000 cals a day but I have not seen any pounds lost yet...UGH! Do you think Im eating enough/ too much? Should I weight train all 5 days?
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    I'm weight training and breastfeeding. I'm 22, 5'0, and currently 136 lbs. I lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and do a brisk walk for half an hour every morning. I am doing the Paleo diet and eating a net of only like... 900 calories (after adding in breastfeeding and exercise). I've lost 8 pounds this month doing this.

Don't take this advice. You're netting 900 calories? ...while weightlifting and breastfeeding?! You definitely need to be eating more.
  • Mommabeeto5
    That's what I thought! I try to net 1200 after eating back my breastfeeding and exercise burns. 900 sounded way too low! I'm wondering though since my BMR is 1340, if that is what I should have as my net goal???
  • Mommabeeto5
    I'm weight training and breastfeeding. I'm 22, 5'0, and currently 136 lbs. I lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and do a brisk walk for half an hour every morning. I am doing the Paleo diet and eating a net of only like... 900 calories (after adding in breastfeeding and exercise). I've lost 8 pounds this month doing this.

Don't take this advice. You're netting 900 calories? ...while weightlifting and breastfeeding?! You definitely need to be eating more.

March 20, 2014 2:56 PM
    That's what I thought! I try to net 1200 after eating back my breastfeeding and exercise burns. 900 sounded way too low! I'm wondering though since my BMR is 1340, if that is what I should have as my net goal???
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member

BMR is what your body uses just to stay alive. This means you would burn 1340 if you were in a coma. They say you also burn about 500 calories a day when you're breastfeeding, so you need to be netting AT LEAST 1840 (this should actually be more, since I'm sure you aren't spending your days literally not moving at all). And then, of course eat back your exercise calories as well.
  • Molissa08
    Molissa08 Posts: 112 Member
    This is the most amazing thread ever. It gives me hope.
  • Elainaf
    Elainaf Posts: 17 Member
    To the women who followed New Rules of Lifting for Women did you follow the diet or did you do your own thing. Also how many calories were you taking in and can you recommend a protein shake. I love my cardio, did you still fit cardio while following the book.

Any advise will help or if you wanted to add me.

Thanks
  • cccmmj12
    cccmmj12 Posts: 13 Member
    Bump.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    This is how I calculated all that:

A pound of fat has about 3500 calories, and a pound of muscle has about 600 calories. So, if you know your weight loss and calorie deficit from TDEE, you can calculate the amount of muscle and fat that are gained or lost. There is only 1 way for the calorie deficit to make both the weight loss and calorie deficit work. So (3500 x lbs of fat) + (600 x lbs of muscle) will equal the total calorie deficit. And the (lbs of fat lost) + (lbs of muscle lost) has to equal the total weight loss. So then you have two equations. If X = lbs of fat lost and Y = lbs of muscle lost, you know ( 3500x + 600y = total calorie deficit ) and ( x + y = total lbs loss ) You can then solve those two equations to find where they are both true at the same time, giving your amount of each that were lost.

For example, here is my equation for this month:

I lost 8.4 pounds. My calorie deficit is 34199 (which is my TDEE - net calories)

x+y=8.4 and 3500x+600y=34199

x (fat)= 10.0548
    y (muscle)= -1.65483

So I lost 10 pounds of fat and gained 1.6 pounds of muscle this month. But again, do whatever you feel comfortable with!

Except calorie counting is still highly inaccurate no matter how perfect we try to be. Packages are allowed to be off 10%, so unless you ate only fruits, vegetables and lean meat that you weighed perfectly you have a 10% margin of error (assuming you weigh and measure every bite, lick and taste too). TDEE is an estimation, even if you are using a Fitbit or other tracking device.

Also, for a woman to gain 1.6 pounds of muscle in a month on a deficit is nearly unheard of. I managed to gain 1.5 in a month while bulking and training hard. Unless you were using an accurate method to determine body fat your calculation is wrong. Even then, gaining lean mass does not mean you gained muscle because some methods of body fat calculation end up counting water as lean mass.

Worry more about the tape measure and mirror.
  • Bump, for the inspiration! :wink:
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    bump
  • How long have you been lifting?