Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    I'm only 1 month in (mostly kettlebell and body weight exercises) and I can see a difference in how my clothes fit already!! I work out at home so I don't have a ton of equipment. I have gained 3 lbs. this month but lost an inch and a half around my waist and hips and an inch around my arms!! I'm so glad I measured at the beginning because if I relied solely on my scale I would have been discouraged!!! I found this thread last night and I'm so glad I did; you ladies are all so inspiring!! prjjrb820iqo.jpg
    3pgx7bqt6vih.jpg

• Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 161 Member
    Bump
  • hufflepie
    hufflepie Posts: 26 Member
    I don't if I've posted in this thread before, or not. Still a work in progress, but six weeks of 5X5s...

uabm5ib4dgvo.jpg
    odvdmztjl306.jpg
    pwh1nnpki29q.jpg

WOW! That's just 6 weeks progress? That's amazing!! Keep it up!

This just boosts my motivation for getting in there and lifting heaving things 3x a week.
  • hufflepie
    hufflepie Posts: 26 Member
    melsetsy wrote: »
    I'm only 1 month in (mostly kettlebell and body weight exercises) and I can see a difference in how my clothes fit already!! I work out at home so I don't have a ton of equipment. I have gained 3 lbs. this month but lost an inch and a half around my waist and hips and an inch around my arms!! I'm so glad I measured at the beginning because if I relied solely on my scale I would have been discouraged!!! I found this thread last night and I'm so glad I did; you ladies are all so inspiring!! prjjrb820iqo.jpg
    3pgx7bqt6vih.jpg

There definitely a noticeable difference there! Keep it up!
  • lofeisgood
    lofeisgood Posts: 8 Member

Awesome job!!!!
  • kathy0224
    kathy0224 Posts: 43 Member
    very inspirational! thank you for motivating me to clean off the "clothes hanger/weight bench" & make it into a weight bench!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Looking good ladies keep up the good work
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 161 Member
    Bump
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I highly recommend following a good progressive lifting program. SL 5x5 & NROLFW are great. Following a program ensures that you aren't aimlessly walking around the gym just trying stuff but not feeling like you are getting anywhere. Also, SL is simple and has an app for tracking data from your workouts.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Lifting 5x per week on a deficit and working with a trainer. I killed it every single session.
    PhotoGrid_1381545395505_zps593a6333.jpg
    IMG_20130809_195151_zps202d6e0e.jpg

My overall results of lifting from start to now.
    IMG_20130924_060656_zpsc30772ab.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1380639685183_zps218147ba.jpg
    How long from start to finish? You are awesome!

• LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    edited January 2016
    For all the ladies that did Strong Lifts - I need some advice. I really enjoyed it but I found after a couple of months I just got stuck...I could not get my overhead press higher than 50lbs, squats over 125lbs etc. I was also eating at a slight deficit (1600 calories a day). I did lose about 8 lbs and several inches and looked "lean" but my strength gains stalled.

I'm now pregnant so have moved to just dumbbells but I would like to go back to SLs this summer.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    LisaTcan wrote: »
    For all the ladies that did Strong Lifts - I need some advice. I really enjoyed it but I found after a couple of months I just got stuck...I could not get my overhead press higher than 50lbs, squats over 125lbs etc. I was also eating at a slight deficit (1600 calories a day). I did lose about 8 lbs and several inches and looked "lean" but my strength gains stalled.

I'm now pregnant so have moved to just dumbbells but I would like to go back to SLs this summer.

Since you'll be taking some time off with your pregnancy, you'll be able to get back to SLs and see some progress again. When you stall on lifts like you did previously, it is probably time to change programs. SLs is a beginner program, so you should look into a more intermediate program (Madcow, the Texas Method, PHUL, PHAT, etc.).
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    ash_law wrote: »
    Since my profile picture is so small, I am going to repost it in this comment. It covers the span of six years - overweight (180lbs), then weak and skinny fat by only using cardio to lose weight (~145lbs), and then now currently way stronger and more muscular from powerlifting (155lbs).

qxn7jds2mnrw.jpg

Fantastic results!!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member

If you feel like you're stalling out, but maybe aren't ready to move to a more advanced program, you could try moving up in smaller weight increments. I bought a set of fractional plates (1.25 lbs each) from Rogue Fitness and instead of progressing in 5 lbs increments as prescribed by the original program, I go up 2.5 lbs each time (5 lbs for deadlift - still half of the original plan). I feel like this helps keep me from getting stuck, as it's a more gradual progression. If you don't want to buy fractional plates, there are lots of DIY solutions. Just google "diy fractional plate" and you'll see several options.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member

If you feel like you're stalling out, but maybe aren't ready to move to a more advanced program, you could try moving up in smaller weight increments. I bought a set of fractional plates (1.25 lbs each) from Rogue Fitness and instead of progressing in 5 lbs increments as prescribed by the original program, I go up 2.5 lbs each time (5 lbs for deadlift - still half of the original plan). I feel like this helps keep me from getting stuck, as it's a more gradual progression. If you don't want to buy fractional plates, there are lots of DIY solutions. Just google "diy fractional plate" and you'll see several options.

fractional plates are one option (and suggested as 5lb is a higher % for 100lb then it is for 200lb), but if you are following SL5x5 and want to continue the same program the suggestion is after you have to deload a couple times move to 3x5, then 3x3, then 1x3. Or, move on to another program like Madcow 5x5 or 5/3/1.

My squats stalled at 240lb with 5x5 and then I switched to 3x5 and got up to 270lb before I injured my shoulder and while I can still squat the weight without shoulder pain I'm just going easy all over until it is healed.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    bump...going to watch this thread grow...need the inspiration!

I tried New Rules for women and got through the first bit fine but moving on to step two was almost twice the time in the gym and not do-able on my lunch hour.

Have done SL 5X5 (for a short time) and have considered going back, mainly because the lifts are easy to remember. But I can't possibly see results like these with just those compound lifts...

Would love to know the type of lifts/exercises you ladies are doing.

Im actually seeing really great results from the SL 5x5 :)
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    This is how I calculated all that:

A pound of fat has about 3500 calories, and a pound of muscle has about 600 calories. So, if you know your weight loss and calorie deficit from TDEE, you can calculate the amount of muscle and fat that are gained or lost. There is only 1 way for the calorie deficit to make both the weight loss and calorie deficit work. So (3500 x lbs of fat) + (600 x lbs of muscle) will equal the total calorie deficit. And the (lbs of fat lost) + (lbs of muscle lost) has to equal the total weight loss. So then you have two equations. If X = lbs of fat lost and Y = lbs of muscle lost, you know ( 3500x + 600y = total calorie deficit ) and ( x + y = total lbs loss ) You can then solve those two equations to find where they are both true at the same time, giving your amount of each that were lost.

For example, here is my equation for this month:

I lost 8.4 pounds. My calorie deficit is 34199 (which is my TDEE - net calories)

x+y=8.4 and 3500x+600y=34199

x (fat)= 10.0548
    y (muscle)= -1.65483

So I lost 10 pounds of fat and gained 1.6 pounds of muscle this month. But again, do whatever you feel comfortable with!

Except calorie counting is still highly inaccurate no matter how perfect we try to be. Packages are allowed to be off 10%, so unless you ate only fruits, vegetables and lean meat that you weighed perfectly you have a 10% margin of error (assuming you weigh and measure every bite, lick and taste too). TDEE is an estimation, even if you are using a Fitbit or other tracking device.

Also, for a woman to gain 1.6 pounds of muscle in a month on a deficit is nearly unheard of. I managed to gain 1.5 in a month while bulking and training hard. Unless you were using an accurate method to determine body fat your calculation is wrong. Even then, gaining lean mass does not mean you gained muscle because some methods of body fat calculation end up counting water as lean mass.

Worry more about the tape measure and mirror.

Ok you guys are confusing the hell out of me, I am eating at a deficit, I lift weights, I can clearly see that I have built muscle, and lost fat (my weight has been nearly the same thing for about 6 months but my clothes are all looser and such. I am actually trying to determine what to do next in order to actually make the scale move some as well.......