October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    12km this morning for a total of 48km/30 miles for the month (Oct goal 250km). After 2 weeks of taking it easy post-race, I'm feeling ready to get in a good long run this weekend. I've missed those!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @jorocka you are going to kill it this weekend, you are so ready for this. Sorry the belt didn't work out. I trained with one for my half and didn't wear it. The site @elise4270 told me about for the headband has these belts http://fitchicheadbands.com/collections/fit-belt/products/fit-belt-audra I'm thinking of trying one, they look very comfortable.

BTW girl you were never fluffy!

:wink: thank you ;)
    I'm pretty excited- little nervous about the hills- but over all I feel comfortable- I feel like I really can hit my stride after 2-3 miles and just settle in and be good.

I'm not like crazy upset about the belt- I just didn't get enough time in it to not feel nervous- no new gear on a race and that jazz.
    I could probably make a soft stretch one.

LOL- I told my SO I got a new belt- it's kind of a running belt thing it's new and should work well- bla bla bla- and he looks at me when I get back and he goes- that's not new- it's a F**king Fanny pack- you're not cool- you're a dork.
    HA HA HA
    #lovethatguy

Now. the big question I have for the day- I need some opinions folks!!
    What color lipstick to wear- because you know I'm not running without lipstick.
    Purple- pink- red- or orange!!!
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I managed 44miles in Sept. Goal for Oct 50miles run/walk.

10/3 2.91
    10/4 5.16 (8.07)
    10/5 3.21 (11.28)
    10/7 3.12 (14.4)
    10/8 3.29 (17.69)

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Remember my "loose change" advise for running form and engaging your glutes?
    Well here's an exercise you can do to stregthen those glutes and your core.
    Mule Kicks:

https://www.facebook.com/competitor.running/videos/10153514820814792/
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

LOL- I told my SO I got a new belt- it's kind of a running belt thing it's new and should work well- bla bla bla- and he looks at me when I get back and he goes- that's not new- it's a F**king Fanny pack- you're not cool- you're a dork.
    HA HA HA
    #lovethatguy

@jorocka - HYSTERICAL!!!! Now the important stuff, what color do you plan to wear that day? I'm a fan of pink myself, but I can see you with a great orange for sure.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @Clarewho Thanks! I was thinking this might work for me until I read what @patrikc333 said.. lol It's a good point about the distance vs time and I don't exactly want to lose distance.

@skippygirlsmom thank you!!! I have to be reminded of this a lot! I made it to 5km a few times a couple of weeks back but my shins didn't like it so I had to cut right back again. My physio doesn't want me to stop running though as it's not fixing the problem (my calves are not strong enough in the leg I get splints).. So although running takes its toll on my leg, I am still pushing through.

@7lenny7 Everyone here is so inspiring! I really enjoy running though have always had troubles with shin splints and when they start up I've always stopped, until now. I've been running *very slowly :) for 10 weeks now!! so very new to it.. but love it! Thanks for making me feel welcome!

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @karllundy Thanks I thought it might help me but thinking I might stick to distance after some of the other good points that have come up :)

@Stoshew71 Thanks for all your advice! You have seriously made my day with your story on how you got to where you are with your running! Fantastic! :)
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    October goal: 45

10/1 - 2.2 miles
    10/3 - 3 miles
    10/5 - 4.1 miles run/walk
    10/8 - 3.1 miles

October: 12.3 of 45 miles completed

I am so happy about the cooler weather! I'm also going to start increasing my miles a little bit. I'm going to try to make it a point to run at least 3 on each run.

I'll catch up on posts when I get home tonight. Happy running everyone!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

HA HA HA
    #lovethatguy

@jorocka - HYSTERICAL!!!! Now the important stuff, what color do you plan to wear that day? I'm a fan of pink myself, but I can see you with a great orange for sure.
    upside- He is no willy wonky- he don't sugar coat *kitten*

LMAO- ah well- whatever- I like my orange nonefanny pack fanny pack. Just not for this weekend!

I was leaning purple- I think it depends on my pants (silly I know) but I shall post selections of options- because we all know a run doesn't count unless you have a matching outfit!!!

I think orange or purple- I typically reserve red for my pin up stuff- and it doesn't wear as well long term. I'll post samples... ;) he he heh
  • Stoshew71
    Options

HA HA HA
    #lovethatguy

upside- He is no willy wonky- he don't sugar coat *kitten*

LMAO- ah well- whatever- I like my orange nonefanny pack fanny pack. Just not for this weekend!

I was leaning purple- I think it depends on my pants (silly I know) but I shall post selections of options- because we all know a run doesn't count unless you have a matching outfit!!!

I think orange or purple- I typically reserve red for my pin up stuff- and it doesn't wear as well long term. I'll post samples... ;) he he heh

Tell him it's European!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_VAWyCFE8
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @jorocka I like purple too
    @stoshew71 you are to running like Dinozzo is to NCIS - a move reference for all occasions ha ha
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    So if you want to try running outdoors but insist on still using the treadmill, here is a compromise between the 2.

https://www.facebook.com/BamMargera/videos/10152769239211374/
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »

@kareF - I ran based on time when I first started, because I didn't have a really good way to track mileage. It is a little less stressful, because you can focus a bit more on stride, cadence, how you feel, etc.
    @kristinegift - Now that "race season" is almost over, I gotta get back to some other work too...my abs, shoulders, etc. are getting soft. Free beer?!? No one ever gives me free beer after a run...is this a NJ thing?
    @skippygirlsmom - I'm not sure I am talented enough to manage any of those relacing strategies. But, I have heard they can make a big difference for people.

Way to be awesome, All!

Race season almost over?! I feel like it just started! Free beer doesn't seem to be NJ specific! I've done lots of Midwest races with beer at the end, and I know at home in IA and here in Princeton, local restaurants give out a free beer to get the runner traffic (usually from a group or club) in the door. We usually go and get the free pint and then buy food so they make a killing ;)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So if you want to try running outdoors but insist on still using the treadmill, here is a compromise between the 2.

https://www.facebook.com/BamMargera/videos/10152769239211374/

I sort of love that. It reminds me a little of the Elliptigo: http://www.elliptigo.com/

@JoRocka You are so much cooler than a fanny pack! But your SO is hilarious. :)

Me, I am not so cool today. Just doing nothing. Lettin' my toes hang out in the breeze and toughen up before I put the shoes back on tomorrow.

10/1 8.25 treadmill run at just around 12:00
    10/2 3.75 treadmill run at 11:28
    10/3 rest

10/4 3.0 @ 12:03 outside
    10/5 unplanned busy busy "rest" day
    10/6 5.25 @ 11:40 on the treadmill and strength training
    10/7 6.0 @ 12:05 on the park trail (and 2.5 walking to and from school/warm up/cool down--not counted)
    10/8 rest
    10/9
    10/10

exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Race season almost over?! I feel like it just started! Free beer doesn't seem to be NJ specific! I've done lots of Midwest races with beer at the end, and I know at home in IA and here in Princeton, local restaurants give out a free beer to get the runner traffic (usually from a group or club) in the door. We usually go and get the free pint and then buy food so they make a killing ;)

Ok, race season isn't almost over, but I only have one more major one planned. Either way, I need to get back into the weight room, etc. I occasionally get free food after group runs, but so far no beer. Usually after a race there is free beer somewhere, but always something water-y and flavorless (Michelob Ultra, Bud Light, yada, yada, yada). I have done one or two races that were sponsored by microbreweries that ended with good beer, but it isn't frequent.

• Stoshew71
    Options

@kareF - I ran based on time when I first started, because I didn't have a really good way to track mileage. It is a little less stressful, because you can focus a bit more on stride, cadence, how you feel, etc.
    @kristinegift - Now that "race season" is almost over, I gotta get back to some other work too...my abs, shoulders, etc. are getting soft. Free beer?!? No one ever gives me free beer after a run...is this a NJ thing?
    @skippygirlsmom - I'm not sure I am talented enough to manage any of those relacing strategies. But, I have heard they can make a big difference for people.

Way to be awesome, All!

Speaking of free beer after the race, my wife and I are doing the Warrior Dash in Pulaski, TN Saturday morning. We did it last year as well and after the race we got a free ShockTop straight from the tap. I got the Belgium Wheat and Jennifer got the Apple Crisp. She normally doesn't like beer but was willing to try. It's the only beer she likes now, the Apple Crisp. lol

We are hoping for more Saturday morning.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ok, race season isn't almost over, but I only have one more major one planned. Either way, I need to get back into the weight room, etc. I occasionally get free food after group runs, but so far no beer. Usually after a race there is free beer somewhere, but always something water-y and flavorless (Michelob Ultra, Bud Light, yada, yada, yada). I have done one or two races that were sponsored by microbreweries that ended with good beer, but it isn't frequent.

@karllundy, you need to make your way north and do one of these races:

http://www.breweryrunningseries.com/

This is the series that got me started running.

I'll admit that for a couple of races not associated with this, I had a cooler in my truck with one (or more) quality craft beers waiting for me.
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

I can tell it's getting cooler and less humid - am picking up speed. Another great evening run.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Oct 03      6.0      6.0
    Oct 04     11.2     17.2
    Oct 06      4.3     21.5
    Oct 08      6.3     27.8

exercise.png

6.3 Miles on the Treadmill, but at least I caught Jeopardy while I worked through my miles!
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    10/5 3.5 miles
    10/6 4.0 miles
    10/8 3.0 miles for a total of 10.5 miles out of a goal of 42 miles.