800-pound-man-kicked-out-of-hospital-for-ordering-pizza

Options

Replies

• UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    wfsb.com/story/30210822/800-pound-man-kicked-out-of-hospital-for-ordering-pizza

I was obese for years and not that far from it now yet these kinds of stories are hard for me to grasp "why". Does not hitting 400, 500, 600 or even 700 send up a red flag? In that case and most cases there has to be one or more enablers it seems.

Great post I haven't heard about this one. I've watched numerous medical shows about the super morbidly obese. IMO, some of them have given up all hope for any other kind of life. The obese people that were featured in each show were very well cared for by their families and it seemed like they enjoyed the attention and the control they had over their loved ones.

When their health got so bad where they were forced to do something different or die, only then did they accepted the change. Most all of them were too big to walk or even fit on a gurney. They had to be placed on a tarp on the floor and drug through the house and yard then 5 or 6 men loaded them into an ambulance. Their family member's were dying of embarrassment of the terrific scene with their neighbor's looking on.

Once they were in the hospital they did nothing but complain about the food and begged their loved one's to sneak food into them. A few of them died because they wouldn't change. It's mind over matter and in some cases the food won. That tells me it's much more than just a food addiction and I believe it's also a mental health issue.

I'm not sure what'll work for these people but as nation we have to try to help them. We help everyone else in the world so why not fund more money to the obese and morbidly obese since many of them are children these days.

Obesity is common, serious and costly
    •More than one-third (34.9% or 78.6 million) of U.S. adults are obese.
    [Read abstract Journal of American Medicine (JAMA)]

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
  • UltimateEscape
    Options
    "More than 35% of U.S. adults are obese, and more than 34% are overweight. Obesity affects 17% of all children and adolescents in the United States, which is three times the prevalence from just one generation ago. Nearly 32% of children and adolescents are either overweight or obese."

Source:

National Institutes of Health (NIH)
    How many people are affected by/at risk for obesity & overweight?
    http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/obesity/conditioninfo/pages/risk.aspx
  • UltimateEscape
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I was obese for years and not that far from it now yet these kinds of stories are hard for me to grasp "why". Does not hitting 400, 500, 600 or even 700 send up a red flag? In that case and most cases there has to be one or more enablers it seems.

Hi father said he'll fall back into old habits of laying in bed and eating. If he can't get up, where does the food come from? His dad? If that's the case, then just bring him a reasonable amount of food and say no the other times, guy's dad.

If the news story I read about him this afternoon is correct, this guy has previously been on reality television with his father. He said that he would throw temper tantrums, loud ones, to get the food that he wanted. His father feared eviction due to the noise, so he would give in.

That's interesting. Here's something else I read:

"His father Steven Veilette said he cannot take his son home because he won't be able to get up the stairs."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/610627/Obese-man-Steven-Assanti-Rhode-Island-Hospital-America-Gastric-Bypass-Surgery

In my opinion, it seems the only thing that's going to help this man would be if someone had a 100% control over his environment. They'd probably have to frisk the family member's before letting them enter into his personal space. It seems that if we can give millions and millions of dollars for the health and well being of dogs and cats then as a nation we could and should help this man and people like him. Maybe, America should open an addiction clinic's for the morbidly obese to retrain them to learn human nutrition, health and portion control. Also, teach them to integrate into a normal life and teach them how to hold a job and deal with stress and depression. There should also be training for the enablers. I think it's just as much a mental health issue as it food addiction.

This sounds like a re-education camp.

They have Summer Fat Camps for kids where they have almost 100% control over them and make them exercise. They also have controlled environment's for people with anorexia. So why not have a controlled environment for the morbidly obese funded by the government?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Hi father said he'll fall back into old habits of laying in bed and eating. If he can't get up, where does the food come from? His dad? If that's the case, then just bring him a reasonable amount of food and say no the other times, guy's dad.

If the news story I read about him this afternoon is correct, this guy has previously been on reality television with his father. He said that he would throw temper tantrums, loud ones, to get the food that he wanted. His father feared eviction due to the noise, so he would give in.

"His father Steven Veilette said he cannot take his son home because he won't be able to get up the stairs."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/610627/Obese-man-Steven-Assanti-Rhode-Island-Hospital-America-Gastric-Bypass-Surgery

In my opinion, it seems the only thing that's going to help this man would be if someone had a 100% control over his environment. They'd probably have to frisk the family member's before letting them enter into his personal space. It seems that if we can give millions and millions of dollars for the health and well being of dogs and cats then as a nation we could and should help this man and people like him. Maybe, America should open an addiction clinic's for the morbidly obese to retrain them to learn human nutrition, health and portion control. Also, teach them to integrate into a normal life and teach them how to hold a job and deal with stress and depression. There should also be training for the enablers. I think it's just as much a mental health issue as it food addiction.

In my case I self re-educated myself but I can see a re-education camp being helpful. The strange part in my case was after not eating grains and sugars for just two weeks the cravings just quickly faded away. The house with full of processed food containing grain and sugars. At work I am 6 inches from snack processed food every time I get a bottle of water.

I was on a road trip and decided to eat some sugar a couple weeks ago since I was reading Wheat Belly Total Health by William Davis MD who thinks sugar is NOT addicting like but that grains can be. My pain did not get much worse and I was able to get around. That proves nothing but I am not in the mood to try eating grains after my IBS has been cured for six months. The sugar did not trigger any digestive track issues.
  • UltimateEscape
    Options

In my case I self re-educated myself but I can see a re-education camp being helpful. The strange part in my case was after not eating grains and sugars for just two weeks the cravings just quickly faded away. The house with full of processed food containing grain and sugars. At work I am 6 inches from snack processed food every time I get a bottle of water.

I was on a road trip and decided to eat some sugar a couple weeks ago since I was reading Wheat Belly Total Health by William Davis MD who thinks sugar is NOT addicting like but that grains can be. My pain did not get much worse and I was able to get around. That proves nothing but I am not in the mood to try eating grains after my IBS has been cured for six months. The sugar did not trigger any digestive track issues.

That's interesting. It seems like there could be some kind of blood tests that could tell a persons make up or what vitamins, minerals and nutrients are deficient. Is there? I don't understand about wheat being a trigger food to illness but many swear by it. I guess because I don't have any health issues (knock on wood) I haven't really thought about it. I'm glad you discovered it and it helps you, that's great!

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    It seems that if we can give millions and millions of dollars for the health and well being of dogs and cats then as a nation we could and should help this man and people like him.

The problem is, he WAS getting help. He WAS in a centre for weightloss. Given his rate of loss, it is highly likely he was either refusing the help, continuously going against clinic rules by obviously getting other food or appearing to take the help and sneaking in food.

They can't force him to stay there against his will. Just like on these forums, you can only tell people so much. You can force them to sit through education to learn healthy habits. But even then, when they are craving a pizza at home even the best education might not beat the craving.
    It's not a knowledge issue. I don't think so, anyway. The kid knows he's abnormally obese and the dad knows it, too. They know how it happened.

They know that the path to health is not paved with pizza. They don't care.

The kid wants to eat his pizza and the dad wants to let him. If they'd quit pretending otherwise, it would probably be easier for everyone - the kid, the dad and the people who get frustrated by those who ask for help when they don't really want it.
  • UltimateEscape
    Options

They have Summer Fat Camps for kids where they have almost 100% control over them and make them exercise. They also have controlled environment's for people with anorexia. So why not have a controlled environment for the morbidly obese funded by the government?

We could use this for other problems as well.

- Smoker? Re-education camp!

- Drug addict? Re-education camp!

- Bad parenting? Re-education camp!

- Unpopular political or religious views?

Man, if you decide to put people involuntarily into camps you can solve all kinds of social problems!

I don't know what country you live in but in America there're very few involuntary programs unless ordered my a judge like ordered to Anger Management! No one said anything about forced weight loss camps.

• UltimateEscape
    Options
    The CHEAT meal got him into trouble!

"He (Assanti) tells ABC6 he lost over 20 pounds. To reward himself for that small victory, he decided to have a "cheat meal," ordering a pizza from his favorite spot, Tommy's, in Cranston.

"I mean come on, almost everyone that diets has like a reward kind of thing," says Assanti.

That may be true, but when you're 800 pounds and in a weight loss program there are strict rules to follow, and ordering pizza is a violation of the plan. On Tuesday, he says he was asked to leave the hospital.

On Wednesday night we spoke with Assanti on Skype from Kent County Hospital, where he is currently staying, though it's not long term. Assanti's father, Steven Veillette, tells us the only way he's able to get his son around is with the help of several people lifting him into the back of his SUV. He says getting into their home in Cranston is an all-day task."

http://www.abc6.com/story/30212276/800-pound-man-looking-for-a-second-chance-
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

That's interesting. It seems like there could be some kind of blood tests that could tell a persons make up or what vitamins, minerals and nutrients are deficient. Is there? I don't understand about wheat being a trigger food to illness but many swear by it. I guess because I don't have any health issues (knock on wood) I haven't really thought about it. I'm glad you discovered it and it helps you, that's great!

@UltimateEscape the best I remember Dr. Davis states wheat for example used for food today did not exist until after WWII and in now contains proteins that never was in wheat in the history of people eating wheat.

There are some tests that helps show what vitamins, minerals, etc levels are in our bodies. Vitamin D levels can be tested today is one example. I am not so sure about Vitamin K2 however there are signs you can talk with the doctor about that are mentioned below.

drjohnday.com/9-signs-you-may-have-vitamin-k2-deficiency/

greenbeandelivery.com/healthytimes/foodnutrition/vitamin-k2-for-bone-and-teeth-health/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Dr. Now from "My 600 Pound Life" would have told Assanti that an 800 pound man losing 20 pounds in 80 days while in a hospital was not something to celebrate.
  • UltimateEscape
    Options

@UltimateEscape the best I remember Dr. Davis states wheat for example used for food today did not exist until after WWII and in now contains proteins that never was in wheat in the history of people eating wheat.

There are some tests that helps show what vitamins, minerals, etc levels are in our bodies. Vitamin D levels can be tested today is one example. I am not so sure about Vitamin K2 however there are signs you can talk with the doctor about that are mentioned below.

drjohnday.com/9-signs-you-may-have-vitamin-k2-deficiency/

greenbeandelivery.com/healthytimes/foodnutrition/vitamin-k2-for-bone-and-teeth-health/

Thank You so much, I'll be reading those links in the next couple of days! :)

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Very sad to see such a young man killing himself with food and causing heartache to those that love him, but he signed a contract with the Hospital and he broke it....so they did the right thing IMO.....

There must be many more morbidly obese people who want to be on the programme and in hospital getting help waiting to take his place.

The one's who are ready and willing to take responsibility for their actions and are ready to embrace change deserve their chance too. This guy is NOT ready and by his tone he sounds like a whiny kid who has now faced his 1st real NO in his whole life and he has his back up.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Why not just let the people who want to fund it, fund it?

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This "kid" is 33. Addiction is a mental illness, and it messes with the individual's ability to execute free will. His obesity is just a comorbidity.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    We need to invent a type of food that looks and tastes the same as real food but is really a trick to help these kinds of people.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    liahna wrote: »
    We need to invent a type of food that looks and tastes the same as real food but is really a trick to help these kinds of people.

Brilliant;)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    liahna wrote: »

Schnozzberries?
  • Kalikel
    Options
    The CHEAT meal got him into trouble!

"He (Assanti) tells ABC6 he lost over 20 pounds. To reward himself for that small victory, he decided to have a "cheat meal," ordering a pizza from his favorite spot, Tommy's, in Cranston.

http://www.abc6.com/story/30212276/800-pound-man-looking-for-a-second-chance-

No, everyone who diets doesn't do that. Pizza is part of the program for some, but not for all.

If he wants to eat Tommy's pizza, then he should do that, but not waste the time of experts who are trying to help him learn to be a healthier person.

I dislike the way they're trying to make this the hospital's fault.

If it's a voluntary thing, not a locked unit where rules are enforced, then people have to agree to abide by the rules. If not, out they go. Make room for someone who wants to be there and do what they're told is best.

This guy needs to be on a locked psych unit where he gets professional help and where rules are enforced, so he cannot order pizza. His "I'll just drive around until someone helps me" dad obviously cannot help him and his problems are big ones.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This man and family need help. They may not fully see it now but they do. This obese man is still in denial. Maybe he will change or maybe not. It is not up to you or I to decide for him. But as a society we should do everything we can beyond tossing him in the street to rot and die.

It took me twenty years, a quad bypass, damaged knees and my inability to foresee taking care of myself to hopefully decide to do something. This is NOT about food. It is about someone who is ill and he and family need help. Are we that uncaring not to help our fellow people? Is your selfishness so much a part of your lives that you no longer care about anything besides yourself?

I was 260 pounds from his same situation. It is not hard to understand where he is at this time. Hopefully he will change and those around him need to change also. He may be arrogant and unwilling but if you look at our society's selfishness and arrogance he is no different. Just a different problem, morbid obesity caused by some factor not controlled yet.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • Kalikel
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If he cannot be helped - and ordering pizza is a clear signal that he is refusing help - then he needs to go and make room for someone else who wants help.

Continuing to keep him there and let him eat pizza is just denying help to someone who wants it.

Personally, I see kicking him out as a good thing, overall. It means someone who wants help can get it.

Short of locking that guy up, he cannot be helped at this time. We lock anorexics up and enforce rules all the time. We do this to save their lives and because we have to believe that if they had the ability to think clearly, they'd choose life and health over insanity and death. The ones who are able to be helped are always overflowing with gratitude...when it's all over. When they're first locked up, different story. Not so happy then, lol. But very happy six months or a year later.

Maybe locking this guy up would help him. I don't know. But voluntary care is obviously not going to help him right now and he needs to get out of the way to let someone else get some help.

I don't see it as cruel, but as doing good for people who WANT help.

[edited by MFP Mods]