Options

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    All these videos are supposed to show what a horrible, abusive person he is. He is horrible. He is abusive. Those videos also show me how sick he is, physically and mentally.

I wonder when just plain douche baggery crosses over into mental illness

Oh wow, a really cynical answer just popped into my head: It's douche baggery when your douchey actions at least have a chance to gain something out of it that will enhance your life. It's mental illness when your douche baggery directly and inevitably hurts you as well as everyone around you.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    All these videos are supposed to show what a horrible, abusive person he is. He is horrible. He is abusive. Those videos also show me how sick he is, physically and mentally.

Oh wow, a really cynical answer just popped into my head: It's douche baggery when your douchey actions at least have a chance to gain something out of it that will enhance your life. It's mental illness when your douche baggery directly and inevitably hurts you as well as everyone around you.

Heh. :) But they do get something out of it - they get to do whatever they want, whenever they want. Can you say that for yourself? I can't.

• Azuriaz
    Options

Heh. :) But they do get something out of it - they get to do whatever they want, whenever they want. Can you say that for yourself? I can't.

Short term, long term it ends in early death. I guess I should have defined 'enhance your life'. Some of the addicts and bed ridden have a lifespan of months or at most a handful of years.

As far as doing what we want? Well, there are two sides to that. Selfish dbag and doormat. Neither is good. Neither is good at all.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Short term, long term it ends in early death. I guess I should have defined 'enhance your life'. Some of the addicts and bed ridden have a lifespan of months or at most a handful of years.

As far as doing what we want? Well, there are two sides to that. Selfish dbag and doormat. Neither is good. Neither is good at all.

Yeah but as covered earlier in the topic (or maybe another one), a smoker though potentially shortening their life span isn't necessarily mentally ill
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited October 2015
    Options

He gets to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants? He has to sleep in the back of a SUV. I'm gonna confront that statement just a wee bit.

Eat ridiculous quantities of food? Check
    Speak to whomever, however? Add to the list
    Be paraded around town because he won't figure out his life himself? Yup
    Be waited on hand and foot for the same reason? Oh yeah

Heck, that seems like more luxury than some people who break their backs for a living everyday could hope to enjoy!
  • Azuriaz
    Options

He gets to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants? He has to sleep in the back of a SUV. I'm gonna confront that statement just a wee bit.

Heck, that seems like more luxury than some people who break their backs for a living everyday could hope to enjoy!

Exactly the type of doormat we should all stop being.

But yeah, you're right in your other post just the same. Instant gratification can take precedence over a long, healthy life. Nevertheless, I'm having a hard time imagining happiness in his situation. Momentary relief from reality through scarfing down food that makes his situation worse, yes, but he knows what he's doing to himself.

Then again, terrifying, cold, cruel, nasty world. Maybe he feels like he should take all the momentary pleasure he can get because the future holds nothing good. I've been there. I've felt like that. Sometimes I still wonder if I was right. So if that's why he does it, I get it. Hopelessness isn't a mental illness, because we're all hopeless in the end, at the mercy and whim of forces we simply can't control. But hopelessness can be crippling just the same as any delusion of grandeur or false reality ever was or could be.
  • Azuriaz
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Watching some of his videos now. I believe I see what he is and what he wants out of life. And it's breaking my heart. Let's all face it. This world has very limited room for a very limited number of creative people. There just aren't that many slots to fill. And if you ain't got it (or you ain't got enough of it), forget about it.

For everyone else (including me) there's McWages. A lifetime of miserable, boring, you're nobody and nothing, modern day slavery, with all the creativity and originality crushed out of you, year after year, shift after shift. Doing jobs a machine can do. For less.

Eff it, I want to eat myself to death just thinking about it. Except maybe we don't have to put up with this nonsense. Maybe things don't have to be this way. So I'll keep on with what I'm doing and live long enough to find out.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Bukowski!

That is all.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

In the last day or so, I have watched a good number of his youtube videos. It's clear that he doesn't consider his life to be luxurious. He seems desperate to change it, but unwilling to do what is necessary to do it.

Nope be able to bathe oneself? Check.
    Have to beg people to come and do basic life skills? Check.
    Have to live out of the back of a car because he can not move himself? Check.

I'd say his life is a living hell, so perspective is also something that is in play here.

The way I see it, he probably can have the ability to do all those things. He just chooses temporary comforts and desires and obscene behavior over what it would take to get there. I didn't watch but three or four videos so maybe here's content out there that points to an obvious mental disability. I've just seen a DB so far
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

The Dr. Phil clip included Dr. Phil reminding him that he refused to "clean himself". When he was mobile and able to clean an entire house by himself, he was not willing to bathe himself.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/dependent-personality-disorder-symptoms/

Let's not jump to diagnosing people from our armchairs.

Now, now. Don't be snotty. I'm just putting it out there for reading enjoyment considering the topic at large, not for purposes of diagnosis.

True though. He's reached the consequence stage which isn't luxurious at all. I don't know if there'll be a Plan B for him at this point.

And I suppose "mentally sick" is just a comment about his overall state, not a diagnosis ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

The Dr. Phil clip included Dr. Phil reminding him that he refused to "clean himself". When he was mobile and able to clean an entire house by himself, he was not willing to bathe himself.

Let's not jump to diagnosing people from our armchairs.

Now, now. Don't be snotty. I'm just putting it out there for reading enjoyment considering the topic at large, not for purposes of diagnosis.

True though. He's reached the consequence stage which isn't luxurious at all. I don't know if there'll be a Plan B for him at this point.

And I suppose "mentally sick" is just a comment about his overall state, not a diagnosis ;)

I swear to all that's holy I never said that. But, yeah, I think somebody did...

Sorry for the confusion, I knew you didn't say that

As for the "luxury" stage being over, I would still tend to disagree. He still gets to eat whatever whenever, and still gets to behave however he wants to anyone. That portion of his life continues, and hasn't stopped delivering that particular benefit. To me it just seems like he's still getting some reward from his actions. My perspective here is from being around people who get to say and do whatever they want all the time. Are there a handful of consequences here and there? Yep. Do they get to say and do things every single day that the rest of us sometimes wish we could? Abso-freakin-lutely

• Azuriaz
    Options
    I know you knew. I was just funnin' ya.
    As for the "luxury" stage being over, I would still tend to disagree. He still gets to eat whatever whenever, and still gets to behave however he wants to anyone. That portion of his life continues, and hasn't stopped delivering that particular benefit. To me it just seems like he's still getting some reward from his actions. My perspective here is from being around people who get to say and do whatever they want all the time. Are there a handful of consequences here and there? Yep. Do they get to say and do things every single day that the rest of us sometimes wish we could? Abso-freakin-lutely

Sounds mysterious but fascinating. If it isn't too personal and you wouldn't mind divulging - what general environment is this that offers these perks?

I've always worked in front line, service related industries and notice that the higher the clientele is up on the socio economic ladder, the more leeway they have in, ah, expressing themselves.

As far as this guy goes and his habit of doing what he does, there would have to be some perceived benefit or he wouldn't keep going this way. I'd wonder if the perception corresponds with the reality, or if both are a subjective experience. If he were homeless on the street, he'd attract a lot of attention. I don't know if there would be any shelters that could accommodate him at his size. He'd probably agree to be hospitalized, evaluated, and then maybe placed in long term care if no family members would take him in. He'd have to consent though, to either scenario. I suppose if he has other options available to him, he'd go for those.

Oh I don't know, I suppose you can huddle on a sidewalk and freeze and say what you want. If you don't say it loud enough to draw police attention, that is.

Although food stamps and food banks likely won't keep him at the weight he's at now. He'd still be fat (lots of fat, undernourished homeless people out there) but he wouldn't be that fat.

I doubt he'd survive more than a week or two, but hey, he could really express himself for those remaining hours.

• Azuriaz
    Options

Sounds mysterious but fascinating. If it isn't too personal and you wouldn't mind divulging - what general environment is this that offers these perks?

I've always worked in front line, service related industries and notice that the higher the clientele is up on the socio economic ladder, the more leeway they have in, ah, expressing themselves.

As far as this guy goes and his habit of doing what he does, there would have to be some perceived benefit or he wouldn't keep going this way. I'd wonder if the perception corresponds with the reality, or if both are a subjective experience. If he were homeless on the street, he'd attract a lot of attention. I don't know if there would be any shelters that could accommodate him at his size. He'd probably agree to be hospitalized, evaluated, and then maybe placed in long term care if no family members would take him in. He'd have to consent though, to either scenario. I suppose if he has other options available to him, he'd go for those.

Oh I don't know, I suppose you can huddle on a sidewalk and freeze and say what you want. If you don't say it loud enough to draw police attention, that is.

Although food stamps and food banks likely won't keep him at the weight he's at now. He'd still be fat (lots of fat, undernourished homeless people out there) but he wouldn't be that fat.

I doubt he'd survive more than a week or two, but hey, he could really express himself for those remaining hours.

I think his father is acting as caretaker and still looking for facilities that will take him in. Depending on his documented behavioral history at other facilities, that may or may not be possible. But once he's admitted somewhere, he'll be free to speak his mind to each and all with little to no restriction and regardless of socio-economic status. Also he'll be free to order out for pizza and eggrolls, depending on facility rules and whether they're enforced by contract.

Yes, I think you're right. And I pity his father, because what is the alternative? A week or two on the streets for his son, and then he's dead? That's a bit of a pickle to be in.

And even if his son bucks up, loses the weight, and gets a 'life' (i.e. some crap minimum wage job) and his dad can stop worrying day to day about him ending up on the street and can worry about him paycheck to paycheck instead, what 'life' can his son really expect to have long-term? How many people with serious mental health issues (such as the ones many suspect underlies this guy's food issues) end up with decent lives in our society? My guess? Not many.
  • Azuriaz
    Options

I think his father is acting as caretaker and still looking for facilities that will take him in. Depending on his documented behavioral history at other facilities, that may or may not be possible. But once he's admitted somewhere, he'll be free to speak his mind to each and all with little to no restriction and regardless of socio-economic status. Also he'll be free to order out for pizza and eggrolls, depending on facility rules and whether they're enforced by contract.

Yes, I think you're right. And I pity his father, because what is the alternative? A week or two on the streets for his son, and then he's dead? That's a bit of a pickle to be in.

And even if his son bucks up, loses the weight, and gets a 'life' (i.e. some crap minimum wage job) and his dad can stop worrying day to day about him ending up on the street and can worry about him paycheck to paycheck instead, what 'life' can his son really expect to have long-term? How many people with serious mental health issues (such as the ones many suspect underlies this guy's food issues) end up with decent lives in our society? My guess? Not many.

Anyone with serious mental health issues probably won't end up well. In any society, not just well-to-do societies. The wealthy can be kept at home and cared for by round the clock servants. Even in those cases, if a mentally ill individual from a comfortable and wealthy environment decides to hit the road and go it alone (which they often do), they'll end up the same way as someone who comes from nothing. Facilities are there for those who give their consent to use them. If someone is admitted against their will, that's usually only temporary until the crisis has passed.

Which has been my point all along. We can do better for each other. And ourselves. Our society, not just many of our people, is very sick.

End rant, my last post in this thread (at least for tonight!) I promise. o:)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I doubt he was able to adequately 'clean himself' on his own. Considering when we had patients who weighed much, much less in the hospital, we had to have people come in and physical hold parts of the patient up and back so that the CNAs and nurses could get underneath those parts to clean where cleaning had not been done for a long time, and skin breakdown had started to occur. There's no way the patient him- or herself can hold their own flesh out of the way in the bath or shower to get beneath it to clean it properly, and then dry it adequately either.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

I doubt he was able to adequately 'clean himself' on his own. Considering when we had patients who weighed much, much less in the hospital, we had to have people come in and physical hold parts of the patient up and back so that the CNAs and nurses could get underneath those parts to clean where cleaning had not been done for a long time, and skin breakdown had started to occur. There's no way the patient him- or herself can hold their own flesh out of the way in the bath or shower to get beneath it to clean it properly, and then dry it adequately either.

I disagree. And he was not a hospitalized patient in that video clip. I watched him do heavy housecleaning. He was on his feet the whole time. He was bending, lifting and getting the job done.

At his size then, he would have taken a wet soapy towel and held it at both ends while using back and forth friction to clean his peri areas. He would have used similar technique and equipment for his folds. Health care professionals routinely teach young, mobile, morbidly obese to clean themselves this way and it's doable for those who want to do it. Most of them actually figure it out for themselves without medical intervention.

I'm sure, for liability reasons alone, he was meticulously assessed in regards to his ability to care for himself while appearing on that particular in-house Dr. Phil show. He may not have been capable of giving himself a professional grade pedicure, but he was able to meet basic hygiene requirements independently or he would not have been given clearance to appear on the show for safety reasons.

He refused to bathe, said Dr. Phil. I know Dr. Phil's no saint by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think he would have publicly called him out on it if the guy wasn't capable of some modicum of bathing. He was making a point.

He might have been mobile, but that doesn't mean able to clean. And because he obviously has mental issues, he's going to have problems with self-care, since he's got issues with overeating. 'Dr.' Phil isn't even a doctor, and calling the guy out on television isn't standard protocol for curative therapy.