800-pound-man-kicked-out-of-hospital-for-ordering-pizza

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I've spent my entire professional life as a licensed mental health practitioner working with individuals and populations generally assessed as being "high risk" for any number of reasons. I don't have any illusions left about the challenges people face, the balance between personal and social responsibility, or how much of a miracle it really is when someone is able to get free of their particular version of hell.

I had hoped that the example of this young man might spark some useful discussion around just how complex and heartbreaking it can be (for everyone - the individual suffering, family members, the care team) to deal with extreme obesity.

Instead, I'm just appalled at some of the talk here about how to tell whether someone is a "DB" as opposed to "really" having a mental disorder, implications that those with mental disorders must be having just a great time thanks to their "freedom" to "do/eat what they want" (REALLY?). And I'm seeing posts from others who apparently have some personal history working with the severely mentally ill who are telling stories designed to shock or entertain about their former clients, labeling people as their illness, and generalizing about people with mental disorders in ways that I find very questionable and offensive on a professional level.

Whether his illness led him to set himself up like this or not, there's no reason to treat this man and his family - or anyone with a mental disorder - like a freak show. I'm just so damned disappointed in a lot of what I am seeing here. People on these boards can do better than that.
    I'd like to clarify that I wasn't trying to shock anyone. Had I been trying, I could've done better.

I was also not trying to entertain, a la Dr. Phil.

If you are offended, I apologize for having offended you. Be assured it was not my intention.

It's different inside "the center" (which is the proper terminology now) than it is outside. Things are done differently. If things could be handled in the ways you might handle them, the center wouldn't have to be there. I'm sure there have been times where you've had a patient or client who needed more intensive treatment than you could provide. That's why those centers exist. Different ways of doing things.

While you encourage people to use the proper terms (which we totally should), remember that most of us are simply behind the times and mean no harm.

I'm sure that HIPAA applies there. And annual training in sensitivity. People who work in the medical field must at all times see their patients as people and never, ever forget that. Using things like 'being behind the times' cannot be an excuse, ever, when the care of people is involved.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Quoting fail
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I've spent my entire professional life as a licensed mental health practitioner working with individuals and populations generally assessed as being "high risk" for any number of reasons. I don't have any illusions left about the challenges people face, the balance between personal and social responsibility, or how much of a miracle it really is when someone is able to get free of their particular version of hell.

I had hoped that the example of this young man might spark some useful discussion around just how complex and heartbreaking it can be (for everyone - the individual suffering, family members, the care team) to deal with extreme obesity.

Instead, I'm just appalled at some of the talk here about how to tell whether someone is a "DB" as opposed to "really" having a mental disorder, implications that those with mental disorders must be having just a great time thanks to their "freedom" to "do/eat what they want" (REALLY?). And I'm seeing posts from others who apparently have some personal history working with the severely mentally ill who are telling stories designed to shock or entertain about their former clients, labeling people as their illness, and generalizing about people with mental disorders in ways that I find very questionable and offensive on a professional level.

Whether his illness led him to set himself up like this or not, there's no reason to treat this man and his family - or anyone with a mental disorder - like a freak show. I'm just so damned disappointed in a lot of what I am seeing here. People on these boards can do better than that.
    I'd like to clarify that I wasn't trying to shock anyone. Had I been trying, I could've done better.

If you are offended, I apologize for having offended you. Be assured it was not my intention.

It's different inside "the center" (which is the proper terminology now) than it is outside. Things are done differently. If things could be handled in the ways you might handle them, the center wouldn't have to be there. I'm sure there have been times where you've had a patient or client who needed more intensive treatment than you could provide. That's why those centers exist. Different ways of doing things.

While you encourage people to use the proper terms (which we totally should), remember that most of us are simply behind the times and mean no harm.

I'm sure that HIPAA applies there. And annual training in sensitivity. People who work in the medical field must at all times see their patients as people and never, ever forget that. Using things like 'being behind the times' cannot be an excuse, ever, when the care of people is involved.

+1
  • Azexas
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Well, since this is the final day of Mental Health Awareness Week 2015, here are a few links for everyone. As well as this year's hashtag: #IAmStigmaFree (See the person, not the illness.) Last year's was #EveryMindMatters. Still true.

http://www.nami.org/[\url]
    http://mhaweek.org/[\url]
    http://everymindmatters.org/
    http://www.eachmindmatters.org/

I see the effects every day of people being afraid to seek help, or being too embarrassed to seek help, or there not being enough resources to help those who do reach out. My hope is that things change. Soon.

Great links. In the facility that I work it has always been taught in our sensitive training to see the person as a whole, not just their illness.

I couldn't imagine going to someone for help and all they can see and refer to me as is my illness. That must be devastating to that person.
  • Azexas
    Options

Well said.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

+100

As someone with a diagnosed mental disorder, I find some of the things (mostly by the same individual who is "behind the times" according to her) extraordinarily offensive. I I ever thought my treatment team was speaking about myself or other patients in such a manner, I would very quickly be dropping them and filing a complaint to medical/ethical boards. It is absolutely unacceptable.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Well, since this is the final day of Mental Health Awareness Week 2015, here are a few links for everyone. As well as this year's hashtag: #IAmStigmaFree (See the person, not the illness.) Last year's was #EveryMindMatters. Still true.

I see the effects every day of people being afraid to seek help, or being too embarrassed to seek help, or there not being enough resources to help those who do reach out. My hope is that things change. Soon.

Thank you for sharing these. The Every Mind Matters site got me thinking about some of the most heartbreaking stories I have heard over the years. It reminds me of how blessed I am in my own life, and how important compassion and understanding are in reaching out to others.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Thank you for sharing these. The Every Mind Matters site got me thinking about some of the most heartbreaking stories I have heard over the years. It reminds me of how blessed I am in my own life, and how important compassion and understanding are in reaching out to others.

Yes!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Instead, I'm just appalled at some of the talk here about how to tell whether someone is a "DB" as opposed to "really" having a mental disorder, implications that those with mental disorders must be having just a great time thanks to their "freedom" to "do/eat what they want" (REALLY?).

Try again

My comments were meant to describe what benefits a DB might obtain from such behavior, even though he may not have a mental illness. My repeated question on mental illness is to ask how you can tell that a person has one just by watching videos of them. Hopefully you're a tad less appalled now
  • mccindy72
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Instead, I'm just appalled at some of the talk here about how to tell whether someone is a "DB" as opposed to "really" having a mental disorder, implications that those with mental disorders must be having just a great time thanks to their "freedom" to "do/eat what they want" (REALLY?).

Try again

My comments were meant to describe what benefits a DB might obtain from such behavior, even though he may not have a mental illness. My repeated question on mental illness is to ask how you can tell that a person has one just by watching videos of them. Hopefully you're a tad less appalled now

'Try again'? Perhaps you'd do better to reconsider the fact that you're repeatedly using the initials DB (shortening them doesn't hide the fact that you mean *kitten*, which is rude at best, and just blatantly mean at worst). Considering that the discussion is about a person who might be mentally ill, it's incredibly offensive, and appalling, that you still can't figure out that it's just not acceptable to do that. A person who is eating himself into an early grave can't be considered mentally healthy. It's obvious that he has some sort of problem, and acting out is just part of his problem. Compassion should be part of everyone's makeup. Name calling is something that should have been left behind on the childhood playground, and even at that aren't we supposed to be teaching our children that it's part of bullying and should never be done at all?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Try again

'Try again'? Perhaps you'd do better to reconsider the fact that you're repeatedly using the initials DB (shortening them doesn't hide the fact that you mean *kitten*, which is rude at best, and just blatantly mean at worst). Considering that the discussion is about a person who might be mentally ill, it's incredibly offensive, and appalling, that you still can't figure out that it's just not acceptable to do that. A person who is eating himself into an early grave can't be considered mentally healthy. It's obvious that he has some sort of problem, and acting out is just part of his problem. Compassion should be part of everyone's makeup. Name calling is something that should have been left behind on the childhood playground, and even at that aren't we supposed to be teaching our children that it's part of bullying and should never be done at all?

I suppose the bolded answers my question. Is that your opinion, or some sort of established, widely known fact? Sources? Don't countless Americans essentially do just that every day? Are they all assumed to be mentally ill, too?

If I didn't call the person who was described as abusive in the post I initially responded to a potential DB, would it make you feel better?

• mccindy72
    Options

Try again

I suppose the bolded answers my question. Is that your opinion, or some sort of established, widely known fact? Sources? Don't countless Americans essentially do just that every day? Are they all assumed to be mentally ill, too?

If I didn't call the person who was described as abusive in the post I initially responded to a potential DB, would it make you feel better?

BED is an established, widely known fact. And I believe that morbid obesity has been recognized as a disease, so yes, it is more than just my opinion.
    And what would make me feel better would be examples of better human behavior in regards to anyone, no matter what their situation. Name calling is never acceptable.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Try again

BED is an established, widely known fact. And I believe that morbid obesity has been recognized as a disease, so yes, it is more than just my opinion.

Basically any morbidly obese person definitely has BED?

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Try again

I think the argument that someone who has let themselves get to 800+ pounds clearly has something else going on. That just is not normal behavior. Many people reach an established weight based on the number of calories eaten and it becomes maintenance. It is something else entirely to reach 800 pounds.
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    tinger12 wrote: »
    You have to understand that eating disorders are more then just one's problem with eating too much. More often it also is a mental issue that drives the obesity. I know first hand. I was 540 and depression is my challenge. I ate to feel better. I knew what I was doing was destructive but the mind and its flaws do strange things to people.

So don't judge based upon your own perceptions. Everyone is different and reacts differently to life's situations.

Oh yeah, nobody "enabled" me. I destructed all on my own. Yes there could have been an enabler for this person but we don't know the full story behind his issues.

Very well put
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Try again

I think the argument that someone who has let themselves get to 800+ pounds clearly has something else going on. That just is not normal behavior. Many people reach an established weight based on the number of calories eaten and it becomes maintenance. It is something else entirely to reach 800 pounds.

Interesting. The way I see it, we all have something going on. I just wonder at what point do we ignore all prior transgressions and only see this poor morbidly obese guy who now needs to be pitied and helped. Isn't getting huge what happens when you eat too many calories on a prolonged basis? Isn't ruining your life what happens when you abuse and ignore those that try to guide you in the right direction? At what point does the flip happen when it's no longer something that's your doing / in your control and you're living the consequences of your daily choices and actions? At what stage does one get absolved of accountability and personal responsibility?

At this point we're probably just going around in circles. I suppose I understand the popular opinion that just by being XXX lbs overweight, it automatically means one has one or several mental illnesses. I'm actually doing some light reading on the subject matter - anyone that has any sources or other background on the subject, please feel free to share

Finally, I wonder how many participating in this discussion have actually watched videos of this man

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2047-6310.2013.00196.x/abstract
    In addition to other social and emotional risks, exposure to sexual and physical abuse during childhood may increase risk of severe obesity later in life. Consideration of the confluence of childhood abuse might be considered as part of preventive and therapeutic approaches to address severe obesity.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022347613000036
    Among youth with significant psychiatric illness, a history of sexual abuse increases the risk of being overweight or obese, an association that warrants further study regarding the temporal relationship between sexual abuse and obesity and may inform future obesity prevention and intervention programs in children.

There is some evidence that abuse might play a role.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Actually in this case, it is the father who has turned his son's condition into a freak show. I have spent days crying, having panic attacks, receiving death threats, talking to drs, involving even the police at some point, to help a close relative who was a danger to himself and others. At no point did it cross my mind to involve the media. I am sure that, like in most mental illnesses, incidents from my relative's life would have made a very "entertaining" story and he too could become as "famous" as this man. Why the father chose to seek this type of attention is beyond me, but I seriously doubt the 800 lbs man is the only one with serious issues in the family.