CARB CYCLERS UNITE....

Options

Replies

• sarahruss2
    sarahruss2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi. New to this group and just started carb cycling. Tried low-carb/keto diet in past and it worked well for a while but couldn't maintain low carb forever and started putting a few pounds on while still on the diet. Needed a change! Does anyone know what the differences are between Chris Powell carb cycling and Jorge Cruises' carb cycling (Happy Hormones, Slim Belly book). Not sure which one to follow?
  • kacc24
    kacc24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am new to the group and will start carb cycling on 10/12/15. I tried this plan earlier this year with great success and hope to start again going strong. I wake for work at 330 am and find eating at that time to be a challenge. I would love to hear any ideas you may have about what to consume at 330 in the morning. I tried making egg white muffins, but after a few days they just tasted like cardboard. But I am open and very much motivated by the change in my body, so I am ready to finish this year on a strong note.

Adrien
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    kacc24 wrote: »
    Hey there, I am new to the group and will start carb cycling on 10/12/15. I tried this plan earlier this year with great success and hope to start again going strong. I wake for work at 330 am and find eating at that time to be a challenge. I would love to hear any ideas you may have about what to consume at 330 in the morning. I tried making egg white muffins, but after a few days they just tasted like cardboard. But I am open and very much motivated by the change in my body, so I am ready to finish this year on a strong note.

Adrien
    Welcome Adrien. I personally do not follow the protocol of "eating within a half hour of waking" I workout in the morning and prefer to workout fasting.....so my first meal is after my workout. I think you might have to do some trial and error to see what your system likes...I make my eggs ahead of time in a muffin pan with bits of bacon or ham and cheese, so all I have to do is heat and eat. Protein shakes are also convenient. If you do a carb in morning as well, try adding a piece of fruit, or make an egg wrap, or overnight oats, also bullet proof coffee helps keep the hungries at bay till you can eat something.

• pwrfl1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    sarahruss2 wrote: »
    Hi. New to this group and just started carb cycling. Tried low-carb/keto diet in past and it worked well for a while but couldn't maintain low carb forever and started putting a few pounds on while still on the diet. Needed a change! Does anyone know what the differences are between Chris Powell carb cycling and Jorge Cruises' carb cycling (Happy Hormones, Slim Belly book). Not sure which one to follow?

Welcome Sarah! I have not read Cruises' book so I don't know what the difference is. What is your main concern with the programs?
  • sarahruss2
    Options
    Thoughts on these:
    -Importance of high carb breakfast every day, even on LC days. Seems counter intuitive?
    -Jorge cruise doesn't use net carbs. So quest bars would be only for HC days? I wonder if I should use net carbs or not?
    -having very little fat on HC days. Why?
    Thanks.
  • sarahruss2
    Options
    Hello. Sarah here again. I don't know how to post a reply to someone (so that the original post can be seen). Can anyone help me?
    I have loved my results in carb cycling so far. Lots of energy, no bloating (from carb overload) and very slowly dropping weight. I work out pretty hard (cardio and weights) 4-5 times/week but still think I "shouldn't be" HC for more than 2-3 days/week - scared to go more. Anyone have experience with this? Also have not done a slingshot week (same rationale, scared of results).
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Hey Sarah.... See the "Quote. At the bittom of your post...if you click on that it will copy it into message box. You can type after all the code.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    I've sort of - kinda have done a mini slingshot.... Basically when I have a bad weekend and eat off plan for a couple of days... Then on Monday I will go real strict with my carbs. I haven't tried a whole week...bc I'm nervous too, plus I'm not stalled in dropping pounds so haven't seen a need.

Today I went out to eat with the Hubs...ate these famous bacon brown sugar pancakes, my absolute fave! And this evening, I got to tell you, I have a headache, and the back of my throat feels like I have sinus drainage. This week I was super good, ate under 50 net carbs most days and up to 125 net carbs a couple if days....and felt fantastic ...and saw the scale drop.... I feel like just a couple of higher carb days is all I need right now.
  • sarahruss2
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Hey Sarah.... See the "Quote. At the bittom of your post...if you click on that it will copy it into message box. You can type after all the code.

Thanks so much!
  • Tracy2162
    Tracy2162 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been carb cycling with Chris Powell. Love the program but need new recipes.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Hi Tracy, some people on this thread started a Pinterest board with some recipe ideas. DB8688. Put together two boards. One for High carb, other for Low Carb.....

• tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on these:
    -Importance of high carb breakfast every day, even on LC days. Seems counter intuitive?
    -Jorge cruise doesn't use net carbs. So quest bars would be only for HC days? I wonder if I should use net carbs or not?
    Thanks.

Hi Sarah,
    Welcome to our group :smile: I kind of do my own thing so I'm probably not the best person to give advice, but I follow net carbs and just try to eat less than 50 net carbs on low carb days and no more than 100 on high carb days. However, I have been doing more high carb days lately since I love carbs, and I always eat fat on my high carb days (I can't give up cheese!), but I'm still losing weight so no need to make changes yet. I'll probably do a slingshot or diet break over the holidays, although I pretty much go off plan every weekend anyhow.
  • sarahruss2
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    Thoughts on these:
    Thanks.

Hi Sarah,
    Welcome to our group :smile: I kind of do my own thing so I'm probably not the best person to give advice, but I follow net carbs and just try to eat less than 50 net carbs on low carb days and no more than 100 on high carb days. However, I have been doing more high carb days lately since I love carbs, and I always eat fat on my high carb days (I can't give up cheese!), but I'm still losing weight so no need to make changes yet. I'll probably do a slingshot or diet break over the holidays, although I pretty much go off plan every weekend anyhow.

Thanks Tiff! Good info and good to hear you are losing weight and seem to be enjoying your food :) I do think every person has to play around with this a little and see what works best for them. So far so good here. Really love my energy levels and "happy" feelings now that I have put good carbs back into my diet -- i was low carb/keto kinda all the time but thats so hard to maintain so i would end up cheating some evenings with complete crap food like ice cream or cookies…its just not sustainable for me (the LC only diet).
  • pwrfl1
    edited October 2015
    Options

TIFF - I'm doing very similar to your plan and so far it's good.... I had to tweak my overall calories from CPowells plan as the 1200 some calories was too low for me...
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Sarah, I went back to Chris book to find an answer to some of your questions, but honestly I could not find his reasoning for carbs in the morning...I know I read it some where but just haven't come across it yet...I also follow net carbs....as I feel veggies and fiber are very important . I'm still working on finding tasty recipes to round out my protein
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
  • Db8688
    Options
    Thoughts on these:
    Thanks.

Hi Sarah,

I scanned through some of Heidi's blogs and could only come up with a statement that the protein + carb breakfast jump starts your metabolism. Honestly I couldn't find any specific reason for the combo.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,213 Member
    Options
    I just found this site, and perfect timing.

My name is Joan. I am 64 yrs old, will be 65 next July. Last May I had my physical, and although I have excellent health, bp, etc, I am 30-40 lbs overweight. My doctor at that time prescribed me some pills to take - can't remember the name of the prescript, but they were not diet pills, as I told him I will not take diet pills. He assured me that I would lose weight quickly with these. I got the prescription, as it only cost me $4.00, and took it home, and saw it was medication for people with seizures, and the side effect was loss of appetite! Needless to say, I threw the pills out.
    But here we are almost a year later, and my struggles with weight continue. This past doctor retired, so I had to find a new doctor, which I saw just a month ago. I loved him. He told me no way would he ever give me pills to lose weight, But he told me about the low carb diet - that it is safe, very effective, and will help not only with weight loss, but with feeling so much better.

So 5 days ago, my husband and I started the low carb/ no sugar eating. This week we are keeping our carb grams to 20, but most days mine have been closer to 40. But the best part, is that in just 4 days I have dropped almost 3 lbs, and feel really good. I am not hungry.

But -- I do crave carbs yet. I try and drink a lot of water, and that helps. Does the carb craving go away soon???

I am also looking for foods so this does not get boring, as I would like this to be a lifestyle change.

So I am looking forward to reading past posts, and learning so much from you guys!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,213 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain what carb cycling is? Right now, we are kinda following atkins? Our doctor did tell us though that every 2 weeks to have a cheat day and eat more carbs. Is this what you guys are talking about with carb cycling? thanks
  • Db8688
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    Can someone explain what carb cycling is? Right now, we are kinda following atkins? Our doctor did tell us though that every 2 weeks to have a cheat day and eat more carbs. Is this what you guys are talking about with carb cycling? thanks

Hi Joan and welcome! Here is a brief article about the basics of carb cycling which basically means you eat a high amount of healthy carbs along with some protein and very little fat on one day and then switch to low carbs with protein and a moderate amount of healthy fat on other days

http://heidipowell.net/2713/carb-cycling-101/

Many of us follow Chris Powell's routine but there are many variations out there. This program allows you to be in control as you can tweak the routine to suit your lifestyle which means you are more likely to continue this eating plan long term.