13»

Replies

• SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »

You don't need protein. You need the 9 or 11 amino acids your body lacks to make protein. We don't use animal proteins as they're ingested. We break them down and use the parts.

This is a very weird statement. I'm fairly certain from physiology class that we need on a long-term basis to consume "essential amino acids" for our heart to continue to function. These essential amino acids are typically eaten in meat and plants. Your statement makes me confused. We break down ALL proteins we eat. "Protein" is just a word that means "long chain of amino acids."

Are you saying we don't need to eat animal products to get protein? If that's what you're saying, then yes I agree. But if you're saying we don't need to eat "long chain amino acids," then I definitely disagree.

Yes, I was saying we don't need dietary protein from animals. I thought the rest of my post put that into context. My apologies.

How do you propose getting those "9 or 11 amino acids your body lacks to make protein" then?

Quinoa has all of them, no animals involved.
  • SeanNJ
    Options
    I'm fairly certain that my inability to properly express myself is leading people who agree with me to argue with me.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You don't need protein. You need the 9 or 11 amino acids your body lacks to make protein. We don't use animal proteins as they're ingested. We break them down and use the parts.

This is a very weird statement. I'm fairly certain from physiology class that we need on a long-term basis to consume "essential amino acids" for our heart to continue to function. These essential amino acids are typically eaten in meat and plants. Your statement makes me confused. We break down ALL proteins we eat. "Protein" is just a word that means "long chain of amino acids."

Are you saying we don't need to eat animal products to get protein? If that's what you're saying, then yes I agree. But if you're saying we don't need to eat "long chain amino acids," then I definitely disagree.

Yes, I was saying we don't need dietary protein from animals. I thought the rest of my post put that into context. My apologies.

How do you propose getting those "9 or 11 amino acids your body lacks to make protein" then?

I hate to break it to you, but quinoa contains protein.

We need protein. It doesn't have to be from animal products, but we do need it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

So how is eating quinoa (and the protein it contains) not dietary protein?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    downa100 wrote: »

Thank you for the link. I know our liver and organs in general take care of that stuff I reached a plateau with my weight loss so I thought trying 9 days of only fruit and vegetable, which is called the detox phase 1 in the book, would probably kick start my weight loss again!

And where would the protein you need come from during this phase?
    Protein is essential and doubly important when dieting.

Please reconsider.

Do vegans hate you? :smiley:

Pretty sure that question is high on their list of most hated questions. If you don't eat meat where do you get protein from?

Yeah first step should always be to recheck your logging, making sure you weighing and being accurate, when you stop losing for a bit.

@Merkavar
    That's a very strange comment my friend!
    Do vegans hate me? No idea - why would they?
    Considering I didn't even mention meat that would seem a very peculiar reaction.
    I didn't shoot Bambi's mother....

Seemed a reasonable question when someone is just eating unspecified "fruit and veggies".

Most vegans I've met put quite a bit of effort into ensuring they combine incomplete protein sources to cover all needs. But didn't actually see any indication that this discussion was about being vegan at all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thank you for the link. I know our liver and organs in general take care of that stuff I reached a plateau with my weight loss so I thought trying 9 days of only fruit and vegetable, which is called the detox phase 1 in the book, would probably kick start my weight loss again!

Please reconsider.

Pretty sure that question is high on their list of most hated questions. If you don't eat meat where do you get protein from?

Yeah first step should always be to recheck your logging, making sure you weighing and being accurate, when you stop losing for a bit.

@Merkavar
    Considering I didn't even mention meat that would seem a very peculiar reaction.

Seemed a reasonable question when someone is just eating unspecified "fruit and veggies".

Most vegans I've met put quite a bit of effort into ensuring they combine incomplete protein sources to cover all needs. But didn't actually see any indication that this discussion was about being vegan at all.

"Protein combining" is a outdated dietary theory, a relic of the 1960s and 1970s -- our body does a good job of combining them, so assuming our diet has any kind of variety, we should be fine. As long ago as 1988, the ADA (the largest professional association of dietary professionals) amended its position paper to conclude that it wasn't necessary for vegetarian/vegan health.

You should tell your vegan friends that the effort is unnecessary and encourage them to refrain from spreading this myth about plant-based diets. This doesn't mean that vegans don't need protein -- like all humans, we do. It just means that we don't have to worry about "combining" certain foods to get what we need.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain that my inability to properly express myself is leading people who agree with me to argue with me.

I suspect this is the case. Seems to me you are saying that we do need protein in our diet, just not from animal sources.

You edited your one post after it had been read. That can create issues.
  • SeanNJ
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I suspect this is the case. Seems to me you are saying that we do need protein in our diet, just not from animal sources.

I also did a lousy job of explaining my point. I should've said we don't need complete proteins, like from animal sources, and we can do perfectly fine with incomplete proteins, like most plants, as long as we get the essential amino acid profile in our diet.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I also did a lousy job of explaining my point. I should've said we don't need complete proteins, like from animal sources, and we can do perfectly fine with incomplete proteins, like most plants, as long as we get the essential amino acid profile in our diet.

Precision is important when making claims like "we don't need protein." There's a lot of people on here who will jump at the chance to point out you're wrong. I guessed you meant animal-sourced protein, but I thought I'd make sure we were clear on it. Welcome to MFP and good luck!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Please reconsider.

@Merkavar

yeah i wasn't being serious :smiley:

You asked where will you get protein from if all you eat is fruit and veg. I was just trying to make a joke about how that's a common question asked of vegans that apparently annoys them. I thought the use of smiley faces would make it clear I was joking. guess not.

Just ignore me.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but quinoa contains protein.

We need protein. It doesn't have to be from animal products, but we do need it.

I hate to have to interject here as this guy obviously does not like meat (And for the record if we weren't supposed to eat animals, they wouldn't be made out of meat), but when he mentions the word protein, he clearly means just animal protein.

It is of course one of the best sources, but there are other non 'proper animal' sources. :)