WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Hopeblossom - Did you let MFP set up your 1200 calories per day? For me that is a 2 pound loss per week, and much more overwhelming when I first started, so I changed my stats to lose 0.5 pounds per week, and changed it as it became less traumatic. Now, as I slowly lose, I am able to move more, so I earn some exercise calories back (sometimes I eat the extra exercise calories, sometimes I don't). Plus, a fitness guru at work told me to NOT look at the fat grams of vegetable fat, because MFP can't tell the difference but my body can (but a calorie is a calorie). I'm not the best example, but if you friend me you can look at my food diary (but if I were you I would look at success stories, not me). Be patient and kind to yourself. You are worth it ! ! !

Rosie (and everyone) – I finally had a chance to back up a few pages and read more responses about my house dilemma. I never thought that there may be a better housing option out there for us. When we chose this house, it was my Mom’s dream home (very similar on the outside to where all 3 of us girls grew-up, but functionally perfect for our family on the inside). The neighborhood has been perfect for DS; lots of kids, mostly boys, similar to his age. No through streets, so they remain fairly quiet, which is a plus, since DS tends to not pay attention to traffic while walking or riding bike, so the cars are usually going pretty slow when he hits them. Street lights, so he knows when to come home. Each ½ of the house has 2 bedrooms and 1-1/2 baths + eat in kitchen, dining room, living room, family room. Yes, more house than Dad needs, since he is alone. And likely much more house than we will need if DS goes away to College (Milwaukee has plenty of options, so who knows if he will go away to a University, or go somewhere local. In fact I don’t even know which sport he will be playing by that time). Plus, since DH has a 30 minute Interstate Hwy drive every day, maybe we can find a perfect house closer to in between our 2 places of employment. DH will be 56 by that time, so downsizing, or going into a condo where he would not have to do any actual upkeep, might even be a better option, since he does no upkeep at this time anyway. The next time there is no football or baseball on TV, I will mention this revelation to DH, and see what he thinks. Thanks to all of you, I am feeling much more relaxed about this with each passing hour. Thanks again from the bottom of my heart.
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Barbie....I too am form NW Washington Getting back into the swing of things...Goal: 5lbs gone by October 31, 2015...increase cardio by doing 3x Zumba for 60 minutes per week...eat 3 clean meals aday...with allowance of 2 snacks...Drink 6-8 (8oz) water per day AND No added sugar!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments about my Grandma and how we honored her and dibbied up her belongings. She was such a wonderful person. Grandpa had Parkinson's and back then there really wasnt a good treatment for it. They lived in Minnesota and we took a yearly week of vacation to go up to their chicken farm which was a lot of fun for us. The first thing she did every morning was to get up and help him get up. She picked him up, stood him up and gave him a huge kiss. It didn't matter he was probably 1/4 of the man he was when they married. He was the love of her life. When my grand kids were born Christina asked my Mom what she wanted to be called and without hesitation she said Grandma Pete. She loved ehr Mother in law so much and she was such a huge influence in her life she wanted to honor her.

Well when I got to Verizon and told them my phone was dead, the lady took it, turned it on and it worked fine. It still is working fine. I felt like a fool. But there is no reason a 2 week old phone should be locking up. She just said take the battery out and it will work fine again. Uh, it shouldn't be doing that.

While we were out the skies opened up. Glad I had a plastic bag in the car, don't know why it was but God does mysterious things.

Got to go fix supper, love ya, Joyce, Indiana
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,387 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Tazgirl Your hair looks very elegant. It looks like things went well.

Hope Blossom You have already taken the first step. Now you just need to keep trying. Work on one thing at a time so that you don't get overwhelmed. The girls here are a great support.

I have caught up with reading, but time has beaten me on the commenting tonight.

(((Hugs))) if you need them. Hope all our Canadians had a great Thanksgiving.

Family can be a minefield when someone passes. It makes such a difference when people are reasonable. Grief is bad enough without factoring in resentment. In the end, things are not important, memories are.

Joyce, Indiana I love the idea of 'quilts from Grandma'. Now that is a lovely memory.

Irish Terri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Val8less wrote: »
    Barbie....I too am from NW Washington Getting back into the swing of things...Goal: 5lbs gone by October 31, 2015...increase cardio by doing 3x Zumba for 60 minutes per week...eat 3 clean meals a day...with allowance of 2 snacks...Drink 6-8 (8oz) water per day AND No added sugar!

welcome.gif You have come to the right place....this is a great community of women who collectively have great experience to share....take it one day at a time and do not be discouraged.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DJ - that's a terrific story about DH and the new top. I'm in complete agreement with wearing it every day. :) Way to go, what in inspirational story.

Katla - I think that is a wise decision regarding your daughter. I too miscarried twice before my daughters were born. I was devastated. People said ALL kinds of things, and no matter what the situation or cause may have been, you just wanted it to be all okay and to be able to cuddle that baby that you already are in love with. You are a wonderful mom, just be there for her.

Janetr. OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The surgeon released me thIs morning to full activity, including water aerobics. It will just be two weeks tomorrow since surgery. The Physical Therapist had me do 100 squats this morning (who would have thot?). He will release me Wednesday.

Janetr OKC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,387 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    The surgeon released me thIs morning to full activity, including water aerobics. It will just be two weeks tomorrow since surgery. The Physical Therapist had me do 100 squats this morning (who would have thot?). He will release me Wednesday.

Janetr OKC

This is fantastic news, Janet. Well done! :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy023.gifJanet, that is an amazing and speedy recovery
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hopeblossom ... Welcome! When I started, I logged everything for a week or so and ignored the calorie total ... Just so I could see in print exactly what I was eating and then see what I was willing to give up first. For example, my coffee creamer was the first to go ... Wanted the calories for other things. Orange juice left soon after ... An apple later in the day was more satisfying. Salad dressings were an eye opener. Anyways, you get the point.

I found that making more of my food instead of using packaged things made a huge difference in calories. Instead of instant oatmeal, I now make a big batch of steel cut oats that I control the sugar and portion it into individual servings I freeze.

Two sites that have helped: organizeyourselfskinny.com and budgetbytes.com. I know some of the gals here really like skinnytaste.com too.

The point is to make progress even if it's just one change a week!

Having said that I'm now starting over again because I've let myself slide back into poor habits! But these things will help me get back on track!

Beth in western New York who motivated and helped her husband clean out the garage!! :smiley:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Barbie ... I've been thinking about your response to "don't stress." You said that instead you identify the problem and formulate a plan of action. What do you do when there is no plan of action ... When there is nothing to do? When we are literally helpless to affect change, how do we not stress? Especially when it involves people we love and care about?

Beth
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    hugs,jane
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Janetr OKC

Yeayyyyy!!!!!!!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Congrats Janet!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    When my paternal grandmother died and her land was split 9 ways; my Dad bought out his sisters' shares and a couple of uncles; we bought out a few more after Daddy died. We ended up taking out one hold-out uncle to court to make him decide where he wanted his 1/9th ownership; he'd change his mind every time we agreed that he could have what he wanted. On my mother's side there was about 200 acreas that over 3 generations the land ended up being split about 45 ways (undivided interest). For quiet a few years my parents paid the taxes; and of course, she they did another family member took over it. At mother's funeral she had had all the paperwork for those members of the family to sign over their undivided interest in the land; and then she also had to advertise it in the paper for 4 weeks for it to be sold back to her on the courthouse square; most of us never really knew where it was, other than it was just north of Andersonville, GA civil way cemetery (not far away); but, she wanted it to stay in her family and 1/45th of 200 acres is just a pittance. We did not sell it to her, we just voluntarily signed it over to her. It gets messy when 1/2 is going here, 1/4th is going there, then someone has children and their 3 shares are divided between 4 more children. It is just a mess. Thankfully, the 3 of us sold all the land that we inherited from our parents. We even cut some of the timber off it before we sold it. I think we sold the last of it about 3 years after my mother died. We leased it out to hunters for enough to pay the taxes on it and still had a little money left over.

As you get older, you might find that you wish not to have all the expenses that home ownership requires. I know my BF sold her house to her next door neighbor's parents (they had 4 children, a year apart, and needed help) so having one set of parents living next door was a huge help. He had asked her, if she ever planned on selling it would she give him first right of refusal.

I sure hope that I've not offended anybody by my strong opinions. I know I can be a little pushy sounding. I guess it is because I have seen so many people who don't seem to understand how much it costs their children if they don't have a Will. Different states have different laws and my comments were based on what GA law is. I'm not an attorney so I can give 'legal' advice; but, most attorneys will give you a 'free' consultation and tell you what needs to be done to clear things up.

Had a wonderful weekend; just ate too much. Weighed about 2 lbs more at my MD's office today; but, this week I will definitely do a lot better!
  • CLEatMoulton
    CLEatMoulton Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Welcome CLEatMoulton!

Thank you
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I1guk16y0usg5.jpg
    He already had his name, Charlie. He's about 4 months old.
    Maryann in Michigan

• janetr7476
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just have to say, had I not lost the 125 pounds and started water aerobics and getting in better shape physically than I have ever been in my life, I know the outcome of my two knee replacement surgeries ( 8 months apart) would have not been what I had today. I am so thankful for all of you and your support and encouragement.

Janetr OKC

PS Have to admit my knee is pretty sore this evening after 100 squats, but I have a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. :smiley:
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Had a mammogram today. This is the first time I have had a mammogram that did not hurt!! Think the loss of 140 lbs had something to do with that?
  • carollfleming
    carollfleming Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, new here. I'm Carol from central Ohio area. I am struggling against menopause (and related metabolism) fibromyalgia, and recovering from foot issues - so for 90 days doing MFP I only have lost 9.2 pounds. I'm increasing steps and do have NSVs - but would love more tips, tricks and motivation!